Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Admiral Bosch posted:

I googled that James Graham poem to find out more about the author, but when you google the phrase "Make no mistake: he is dead. He does not sleep." you get a bunch of edgy veteran-themed shirts that say "make no mistake, the beast inside is sleeping, not dead."

Try searching with quotes.

edit: Here's a historical fun fact: Jimmy Carter fell out of a boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

People received coats of arms that often alluded to their work. With that in mind, can anyone guess what Steven Varallyay's job was? (please note, v. NSFW)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Samovar posted:

People received coats of arms that often alluded to their work. With that in mind, can anyone guess what Steven Varallyay's job was? (please note, v. NSFW)

Ah, dicksmithing, a job as old and honoured as time itself

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I’m guessing as a precursor to gold bond powder

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Was he a gelder?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelding

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

That's a bingo.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol wtf did they just smash the horse's balls with a hammer back then?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

lol wtf did they just smash the horse's balls with a hammer back then?

Well, they did also have an anvil.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

This is the 1997 Toyota Tacoma water pump gasket of heraldry

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

After the Berlin Blockade of 1948, the government of West Berlin was legally obliged to keep enough strategic reserves of food, fuel and other necessities that the city would be self-sufficient for at least half a year in the event of another blockade. In hundreds of secret storage facilities all over the city, over four million tonnes of goods were being kept (and periodically replaced) all the way until 1990. Amongst the more than 1,000 various articles stored there were:

quote:

• 189,000 tonnes of wheat
  • 44,000 tonnes of meat
  • 19 live cattle
  • 7,130 tonnes of salt
  • 11,800 tonnes of cooking fat
  • 96 tonnes of mustard
  • 291,000 pairs of children's and teenagers' shoes
  • 380 tonnes of rubber soles and heels for shoe repair
  • 20.9 tonnes of glue
  • 18 million rolls of toilet paper
  • 10,000 chamberpots
  • 35 million plastic cups
  • 4 million lightbulbs
  • 5,000 bicycles
  • 25.8 million cigars
  • 1,000 tonnes of animal fodder (oats)

Final plot twist: After the reunification of Berlin in 1990, more than 90,000 tonnes of the city's secret reserve were given to the Soviet Union as a gift :v:

Photo of the secret storage site in Cuvrystraße

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Someone really loved mustard and cigars.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Alhazred posted:

Well yeah. Slip that into a nice kaiser roll. Bit of mustard. Lightly garnish with some teenager shoes and you've got yourself one hell of a brunch.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
They periodically sold off the strategic reserve whenever they had to replace them with fresh reserves. My dad told me he often bought canned meat from the reserve sales because it was sold much cheaper than at regular stores.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

System Metternich posted:

After the Berlin Blockade of 1948, the government of West Berlin was legally obliged to keep enough strategic reserves of food, fuel and other necessities that the city would be self-sufficient for at least half a year in the event of another blockade. In hundreds of secret storage facilities all over the city, over four million tonnes of goods were being kept (and periodically replaced) all the way until 1990. Amongst the more than 1,000 various articles stored there were:

Final plot twist: After the reunification of Berlin in 1990, more than 90,000 tonnes of the city's secret reserve were given to the Soviet Union as a gift :v:

Photo of the secret storage site in Cuvrystraße

Kind of amazed at the lack of alcohol.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Kind of amazed at the lack of alcohol.

Alcohol is easy to manufacture onsite if you have yeast, sugar (or about-to-rot fruits) and water.

The outcome might not taste fine dining but does the job.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Alhazred posted:

Pretty sure mustard is the main condiment in german cooking.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Peanut President posted:

Pretty sure mustard is the main condiment in german cooking.

A 14th century French poet, Eustache Deschamps, complained in his travel diary that the Germans spread huge amounts of mustard on all their meat.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I dimly recall reading somewhere that differences in how the English and French ate meat contributed to diplomatic tensions. Something like, in England good meat was hard to get, so poor people used a lot of spices to cover for how bad their meat was, while rich people would eat relatively plainly-spiced meat. And in France it was the opposite. So if you had a Frenchman in England, they'd be insulted by an underspiced steak that was meant to be a demonstration of high-quality food.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I dimly recall reading somewhere that differences in how the English and French ate meat contributed to diplomatic tensions. Something like, in England good meat was hard to get, so poor people used a lot of spices to cover for how bad their meat was, while rich people would eat relatively plainly-spiced meat. And in France it was the opposite. So if you had a Frenchman in England, they'd be insulted by an underspiced steak that was meant to be a demonstration of high-quality food.

That doesn't sound right. Spices were very expensive for a long time, so the poor could barely afford any and the rich would cover their food in spices to show off their wealth.

I've made a few medieval recipes and they smell delicious when cooking because they use 5 or 6 different kinds of spices all dumped in.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Perhaps the anecdote was originally about salt? Salting meat for conservation was & is pretty common, though I don't know which upper class would be disturbed by un-/salted meat.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

Perhaps the anecdote was originally about salt? Salting meat for conservation was & is pretty common, though I don't know which upper class would be disturbed by un-/salted meat.

Everyone ate salted meat until the advent of common refrigeration because it was exceedingly rare for all the meat of an animal to be able to be cooked and eaten shortly after butchering. Salt pork, corned beef, bacon, sausages, jerky, potted meat in fat, and other forms of preserved meat were the most common forms of meat for both upper and lower classes until less than 150 years ago.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'm aware. Just wondering if some weird posh assholes were offended by the presence or lack of salt.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Krankenstyle posted:

I'm aware. Just wondering if some weird posh assholes were offended by the presence or lack of salt.

“The people we don’t like do things differently, and have made themselves look foolish when they visit” is a pretty long lived anecdote.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

That doesn't sound right. Spices were very expensive for a long time, so the poor could barely afford any and the rich would cover their food in spices to show off their wealth.

I've made a few medieval recipes and they smell delicious when cooking because they use 5 or 6 different kinds of spices all dumped in.

Back in the Middle Ages, spices were really expensive, which meant that only the upper class could afford them. But things started to change as Europeans began colonizing parts of India and the Americas.

"Spices begin to pour into Europe," explains Krishnendu Ray, an associate professor of food studies at New York University. "What used to be expensive and exclusive became common."

Serving richly spiced stews was no longer a status symbol for Europe's wealthiest families — even the middle classes could afford to spice up their grub. "So the elite recoiled from the increasing popularity of spices," Ray says. "They moved on to an aesthetic theory of taste. Rather than infusing food with spice, they said things should taste like themselves. Meat should taste like meat, and anything you add only serves to intensify the existing flavors."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmao right, it's the classic conundrum of having to figure out something new once the plebeians start doing what you did

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Sometimes it could be about being sure the food hasn't be adulterated in some way. Like white bread got more popular partly because it meant you couldn't do poo poo like add sawdust to it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

Everyone ate salted meat until the advent of common refrigeration because it was exceedingly rare for all the meat of an animal to be able to be cooked and eaten shortly after butchering. Salt pork, corned beef, bacon, sausages, jerky, potted meat in fat, and other forms of preserved meat were the most common forms of meat for both upper and lower classes until less than 150 years ago.

That depends on where you go. Raw salt was very expensive in much of the world. Europe in particular rarely had enough salt to make salted meat something everybody ate all the time. Even so your average peasant probably didn't eat much meat, salted or otherwise. This is why the decree of "a chicken in every pot every Sunday" was a huge deal at the time. Most people ate little meat much of the time.

Brining, however, was a different story entirely. That and pickling. Dried food was also very common. This is part of why grains were a staple. Dried grain keeps a long drat time.

Root cellars were also a huge deal. Turnips keep for years if you store them right. Doesn't even take salt or anything. Harvest it, bury it a bit in the root cellar, good to go!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Krankenstyle posted:

French restaurants I've visited did not have salt on the table. My ex, who is French, explained to me that was normal for any decent French restaurant as it's kind of insulting to the chef to suggest he didn't season it properly.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

French restaurants I've visited did not have salt on the table. My ex, who is French, explained to me that was normal for any decent French restaurant as it's kind of insulting to the chef to suggest he didn't season it properly.

That's pretty dumb.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Alhazred posted:

That's pretty dumb.

The bread you get with your meal is not for buttering, either, it's for pushing salad on to a fork or soaking up sauce (in which case you should tear off pieces then use your fork to soak up sauce, not just drag the bread across your plate with your hand). And you should put it on the table next to your plate, not on the plate itself, and you probably won't get a separate plate for your bread.

In conclusion, France is a land of contrasts.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The French are way too proud of their very average cuisine.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Sweevo posted:

this is a fact

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sweevo posted:

lol, ok

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Those table etiquette rules don't have much to do with the cuisine.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

quote:

"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."

I ran across this quote recently, by Charles James Napier, regarding the burning of widows in what is now Pakistan. The quote itself is pretty great so I read up a bit about this guy. At various points he was a general, a governor and the commander in chief of India. His entire family were prominent members of the british aristocracy, but as far as I can tell they were less lovely in general than their peers. At one point he conquered all of Pakistan because why not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_James_Napier

This link has a good summary of his career, as well as links to his three brothers and father who all were fairly prominent members of the armed forces back in the day.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Kassad posted:

Sometimes it could be about being sure the food hasn't be adulterated in some way. Like white bread got more popular partly because it meant you couldn't do poo poo like add sawdust to it.

They just added plaster, alum or worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieHi4PVMJU0

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

I'm not saying it's bad food, but a hell of a lot of French cuisine is basically the exact same fruit pastries or meat+salad dishes you get in twenty other countries, but they're convinced it's super special and uniquely French because they cut the potatoes differently, or they put the meat on top of the gravy instead of the other way round like those silly foreign heathens.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
French cuisine tends to be actually pretty chill about stuff, unless you are a foreigner.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Zopotantor posted:

They just added plaster, alum or worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieHi4PVMJU0

That channel is really great by the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

That channel is really great by the way

Yeah he's one of the very few "historical" re-enactors who not only acknowledges that slavery existed at the time but goes out of his way to include the slave experiences into his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwkRWIwZ43A