Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

yronic heroism posted:

I can literally make this work late November/early December... that’s the best time right?

https://youtu.be/yxA9O2WW138

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I'd just like to have vacation days I'm not burning on endless weddings.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Good cabinpostin. :golfclap:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Pook Good Mook posted:

I'd just like to have vacation days I'm not burning on endless weddings.

Come work for the government. Can't take 5 weeks worth of wedding per year, I hope.
Literally, I just took 3 weeks and 3 days and will have 96 more hours of leave starting tomorrow.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 31, 2018

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

Thats impressive and all, but I built some bookshelves this weekend, if you could use some pointers

(next: replace that ugly rear end fan)

Those shelves are impressively level. Good job! I like em. Take a picture with books so I can complain about books.

Soothing Vapors posted:

ty for the poop pix

Sure, no prob. Plenty more where that came from if you take my meaning.

Vox Nihili posted:

drat you and your well-lived life.

Please. I'm as much of a milennial fuckup as anyone. I'm honestly more lucky than accomplished.

nm posted:

So now that Norwegian has made flying to norway from California cheap as poo poo, I'm going to come over and hang out at your cabin for a few weeks. Cool?

Yeah, totally cool. I'm not kidding, if for some insane reason you all find yourself in the middle country of Norway with nothing better to do and time to waste, I will quite literally be cool with you staying at the cabin. It's what it's there for.

However, I have to put in a caveat here: There's a real chance if you're for real thinking of going for a cabin trip that you might run right smack into some cabin ennui. This is not the greatest cabin in the world, and I intentionally make it look interesting (as far as possible) in pictures but there's nothing that special about it. It's just a cabin. The area itself is nothing too special either, it's just a place to be alone and obviously, due to the law of freedom to roam it's a place to hang out while hiking wherever you want and doing whatever, fishing, hunting etc. It's not completely isolated, there are some cabins dotted around the landscape, so you're not like, Alaska isolated (though unlikely to meet anyone anyway) and it's not hard to get to and from the cabin - it's actually a surprisingly short distance from the road, it's just a bit of a climb. I'm just saying, don't get hyped up or have huge expectations. It's just a cabin, and not a big one at that. Just as an example, here's an alternative cabin that open to tourists willing to hike a litte:

https://www.ut.no/hytte/3.2222/

However, if you can keep your expectations mostly within reason, I absolutely do mean my invite and feel free to PM me to let me know if and when so I can plan around it. If anyone would actually be around this part of the country for some reason, I don't recommend catching a flight just for a cabin trip, I imagine that would have to get disappointing.

Things close by that I would recommend also:

https://www.ut.no/tur/2.5584/ (ancient farms and a really cool hike)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sula,_Tr%C3%B8ndelag (family has a summer house and a boat there, it's an old fishing village, just insane fishing opportunities. Lobsters too.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dovre (amazing hiking, food, and yeah muskoxen. Do not approach the loving muskoxen)

https://www.roros.no/en/ (UNESCO heritage village)

Alexeythegreat posted:

I will come to Norway and drink all your booze in that cabin while blasting black metal and answering emails

Haha, no. Not gonna be much internet there unless the Kremlin boys loan you a satellite phone. I say that, they are building out better coverage around there so that might not be true next year.

yronic heroism posted:

I can literally make this work late November/early December... that’s the best time right?

I would say that december is a good time for many reasons, not the least of which that it's christmas season which gets kinda nuts in Norway (in a good way). The cabin is best during wintertime (though I'm biased since I like winter), because it hides the lovely plot where I'm supposed to make a lawn type thing and I haven't gotten around to it yet. I expect there to be snowfall come december. Don't worry about transport, I'll just use the snow mobile and trailer. It's a bit of a climb. Other lovely times are spring before the horseflies and midges and autumn during hunting season when the leaves all go yellow and there's a hint of winter in the air.

November I'm away for a bit for SNOW (Scandinavian Open West Coast Swing championship event in Stockholm), just fyi.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Goons get lost in frozen wasteland. Who gets eaten first?

Depends. I can provide skis, but I can't provide talent, so whoever's slowest on boards probably. Then again, there's always...

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 31, 2018

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

What do you hunt?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Judging by the pics, he hunts poop.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The most dangerous game.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What do you hunt?

Look Sir Droids posted:

Judging by the pics, he hunts poop.

But in reality, this.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Cool, looks very familiar!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Cool, looks very familiar!

Yeah, it's alright because a basic hunting license includes all of the above, so as long as I don't go for deer, moose or reindeer I don't have to get any additional licenses. I have been thinking of branching into Moose hunting though, because holy hell the amount of meat on those things. It's not even bad quality, it's really quite excellent meat.

You hunt as well? What for? How hard is it to get a hunting license in the US anyway?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
That loving rabbit is up to no good.

Nice piece of fish posted:

You hunt as well? What for? How hard is it to get a hunting license in the US anyway?

Depends on the state but generally it's laughably easy for animals that are deer-sized and lower. Moose is generally tougher and a much shorter season.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Pook Good Mook posted:

That loving rabbit is up to no good.

Why do you think we shoot them? I've got a hare trigger.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Appear for a MSJ in a habeas claim Bc entire claim shows a complete misunderstanding of law, and ignores controlling case.

Have judge open with “well i don’t know much about criminal law”

Have judge proceed to demand things that are part of civil procedure Bc technically habeas is a civil action while ignoring the entire section of the practice book making clear that many civil procedure requirements (like that one) are not required.

Have judge refuse to take judicial notice of the underlying proceedings.

When pointed out that the courthouse that does 99% of the state habeas cases follows this procedure get told “Well you aren’t there now.”

Get ration of poo poo for how long case has been pending. (Recall I am defendant in this case. Also recall average timeline for a state habeas is 2 years Bc of backlog)

Have judge condescendingly ask what case allows him to grant summary judgement on his this claim. Resist urge to say “none. Because no one brings a claim this stupid such that it would warrant appellate review...except the controlling case that I’ve cited 6 times now making clear “you cannot bring this claim” (but it was a direct appeal not a MSJ. So apparently irrelevant)

Smell faint whiff of misogyny.

Give up and accept fact I will now have to call the presiding criminal judge for the entire state (Bc he was the trial judge) to explain why he followed controlling case law in deciding what canvass to give.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 31, 2018

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah, it's alright because a basic hunting license includes all of the above, so as long as I don't go for deer, moose or reindeer I don't have to get any additional licenses. I have been thinking of branching into Moose hunting though, because holy hell the amount of meat on those things. It's not even bad quality, it's really quite excellent meat.

I don’t hunt as much as most hunters around here, but when I do it’s ducks, deer, wild turkey, sometimes quail or pheasant (but that’s more of a novelty around here).

To get a hunting license in Louisiana you have to take a hunter’s safety class, then you get an annual basic license that costs like $15. If you are hunting with an adult who has a license, you technically don’t need the safety class.

There are then surcharges for the various types of hunting. Big game is $14, duck is $5 or something plus a federal duck “stamp” which is actually a postage stamp but is a requirement. That’s $30 or something like that. Bow hunting, another permit. If you want to hunt public lands it’s another permit. If you’re from out of state it’s another $150 I think.

You can buy a lifetime license for like $300 that covers most fees (still need the annual federal duck stamp, far example). All these fees go toward wildlife management (and enforcement of course).

You don’t gently caress around with that stuff. Wildlife agents can seize everything you have with you if you hunt without a permit—your guns, equipment, ATVs, vehicles...

I didn’t explain getting a gun because this is Louisiana and you can buy one from a weirdo at a traveling carnival without any registration or record.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 31, 2018

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I don’t hunt as much as most hunters around here, but when I do it’s ducks, deer, wild turkey, sometimes quail or pheasant (but that’s more of a novelty around here).

To get a hunting license in Louisiana you have to take a hunter’s safety class, then you get an annual basic license that costs like $15. If you are hunting with an adult who has a license, you technically don’t need the safety class.

There are then surcharges for the various types of hunting. Big game is $14, duck is $5 or something plus a federal duck “stamp” which is actually a postage stamp but is a requirement. That’s $30 or something like that. Bow hunting, another permit. If you want to hunt public lands it’s another permit. If you’re from out of state it’s another $150 I think.

You can buy a lifetime license for like $300 that covers most fees (still need the annual federal duck stamp, far example). All these fees go toward wildlife management (and enforcement of course).

You don’t gently caress around with that stuff. Wildlife agents can seize everything you have with you if you hunt without a permit—your guns, equipment, ATVs, vehicles...

I didn’t explain getting a gun because this is Louisiana and you can buy one from a weirdo at a traveling carnival without any registration or record.

That's cool. That actually means you probably qualify as a hunter in Norway and can get registered for a norwegian hunting license on the basis of equivalent license holding (except for deer, moose and reindeer).

Rules and procedures seem remarkably similar too, with the notable exception of guns. I've just managed to get a simple shotgun transferred to me (it's actually a combi over-under .222 and 12/70) after three months of applications, but I can't register it as a combi weapon (and thus can't buy ammo for it) because the registerable weapon barrel wasn't registered properly back in the eighties when it was imported. So now I gotta fix that mess. I wonder if I need to contact a lawyer.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

ActusRhesus posted:

Appear for a MSJ in a habeas claim Bc entire claim shows a complete misunderstanding of law, and ignores controlling case.

Have judge open with “well i don’t know much about criminal law”

Have judge proceed to demand things that are part of civil procedure Bc technically habeas is a civil action while ignoring the entire section of the practice book making clear that many civil procedure requirements (like that one) are not required.

Have judge refuse to take judicial notice of the underlying proceedings.

When pointed out that the courthouse that does 99% of the state habeas cases follows this procedure get told “Well you aren’t there now.”

Get ration of poo poo for how long case has been pending. (Recall I am defendant in this case. Also recall average timeline for a state habeas is 2 years Bc of backlog)

Have judge condescendingly ask what case allows him to grant summary judgement on his this claim. Resist urge to say “none. Because no one brings a claim this stupid such that it would warrant appellate review...except the controlling case that I’ve cited 6 times now making clear “you cannot bring this claim” (but it was a direct appeal not a MSJ. So apparently irrelevant)

Smell faint whiff of misogyny.

Give up and accept fact I will now have to call the presiding criminal judge for the entire state (Bc he was the trial judge) to explain why he followed controlling case law in deciding what canvass to give.

ma'am this is a norway thread

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Soothing Vapors posted:

ma'am this is a norway thread

Amend post to include “and for the foregoing reasons, I’m moving to Norway.”

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Arcturas posted:

Slyfrog I need you to tell me how to be good at video games and also make partner somehow.

Oh hey, hey now, I just said I play videogames. Not that I'm good at them.

My Silver V League of Legends rating (after an embarrassing number of years of playing) will attest to this.

Of all the things that I have posted in this thread, it is telling that the fact that I play League of Legends may embarrass me the most.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Actually being good at league is a bad thing, you've done well. I can respect any silver 5.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I’ve never completed a placement series so I assume I am bronze 3 or something. Huzzah!

And I feel like League is more respectable than admitting you played something like Eve back in the day. Which is a habit I finally kicked a few years back.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

That's cool. That actually means you probably qualify as a hunter in Norway and can get registered for a norwegian hunting license on the basis of equivalent license holding (except for deer, moose and reindeer).

Rules and procedures seem remarkably similar too, with the notable exception of guns. I've just managed to get a simple shotgun transferred to me (it's actually a combi over-under .222 and 12/70) after three months of applications, but I can't register it as a combi weapon (and thus can't buy ammo for it) because the registerable weapon barrel wasn't registered properly back in the eighties when it was imported. So now I gotta fix that mess. I wonder if I need to contact a lawyer.

if you get bored of all the rules, you can come to Texas and shoot wild boars with a machine gun from a helicopter

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Arcturas posted:

I’ve never completed a placement series so I assume I am bronze 3 or something. Huzzah!

And I feel like League is more respectable than admitting you played something like Eve back in the day. Which is a habit I finally kicked a few years back.

Would think the opposite.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

You shoot reindeer? What kind of monsters are you?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ActusRhesus posted:

Reindeer are delicious. Not that I've shot any, but they are. Cured Reindeer heart is amazing, Sami delicacy.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Hoshi posted:

Actually being good at league is a bad thing, you've done well. I can respect any silver 5.

Being low rank because you dabble is good. Being low rank after playing the volume of games that I have is a sign of a mental handicap.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Career office called me today because a class action firm needs someone and I fit the bill. Meeting with them thursday. Anyone do much class action litigation?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

If all they do is class actions I bet they’re plaintiffs side. So get ready for the rollercoaster life of contingency cases?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

You’ll probably be writing solicitation letters all day.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Or walking around town handing out business cards to anyone in a wheelchair and offering to push them over some cracks in the sidewalk.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Better call saul!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Other in-house bros: How do I dispense with dumb small claims without spending money on outside counsel?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ActusRhesus posted:

Ask him about the whales.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

nm posted:

Ask him about the whales.

Whale burger good

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

Ask him about the whales baby seals.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ya'll eat puffins too, or is that just iceland?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

Ya'll eat puffins too, or is that just iceland?

Nah just Iceland. Puffins are kinda sorta endangered here, and we don't really eat endangered species. Didn't really care for them when I tried them i Reykjavik anyway, kinda cod liver oil-y.

E: Think I'm actually going to make a DIY thread on the cabin so I don't fall for the temptation to vomit my hundreds of build pictures in this thread.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 1, 2018

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Other in-house bros: How do I dispense with dumb small claims without spending money on outside counsel?

I think you may be the only in-house lawyer in the thread. I'm sure some of the litigators can chime in with help. My advice is to hire Quinn Emmanuel to handle your small docket cases.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Look Sir Droids posted:

Depends on how dumb and how small. I got rid of one recently just by calling the other side and working through "actually, we don't do car repair or maintenance work, you want Bridgestone XYZ", but that's atypical. Anything much more complicated than that and I think you are going to want counsel just so they can focus on the claim more than you can.

Sab0921 posted:

I think you may be the only in-house lawyer in the thread.

There aren't many here, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
All I can say is it varies widely based on the nature of the claims themselves. What are you looking at, typically?