Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

phwoar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Lampert might have this

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Oooof they got him but thats a scare.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Yes! Anyone but Demare!

e: and yeah, that was the best solo attempt on the Champs d'Elysees in a long time

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Totally thought he had that at 500 to go

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Skarsnik posted:

Totally thought he had that at 500 to go

I think if they'd have waited 5 more seconds to chase him down he might have done it, they got him with 150 to go.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That overhead shot of them closing the gap to Lampaert in the final straight was incredible.

Thought Demare was gonna steal that at the end, thank gently caress.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Noice, Dege got second.

I'm gonna say it: this was a bad Tour, like all Tours, but it wasn't the worst. The Roubaix stage was great and the Tourmalet stage was surprisingly entertaining, even though almost nothing of consequence happened. Just gotta ignore Sky like always

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Roubaix stage was brilliant,

The Sky train controls the mountains, but this is the third tour in a row that they've really won in the first week.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

There were a whole load of brilliant stages, but there's just no one with their poo poo together enough to challenge sky at the moment

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

lmao, trying to name all your team mates in your victory speech but being unable to is genuinely endearing somehow

e: the mic drop wiped all of that out. gently caress off

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Enjoy some sponsored content

https://twitter.com/AstanaTeam/status/1023628450475765760?s=19

Vino's face is how I always look when I watch cycling

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Everyone seems so genuinely happy that G won its quite nice.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Will Froome retire in a huff?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

TobinHatesYou posted:

In the end Dumoulin loses the TdF because of one flat just outside the last 3km of an early stage. Why teams don’t use tubeless at least for flat stages is beyond my comprehension.
That is absolute rubbish. Thomas took time out of Dumoulin on 7 separate stages while Dumoulin only beat Thomas on a single stage - the final time trial which Thomas was winning but backed off in the final few KMs to safeguard his tour victory. Thomas smashed it and was consistently better than Dumoulin throughout.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

serious gaylord posted:

Everyone seems so genuinely happy that G won its quite nice.

I don't know if you watched the ITV coverage but they were broadcasting from my local bike café and it was heaving, the maindy flyers are going to have a bumper crop of applicants this year

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Skarsnik posted:

I don't know if you watched the ITV coverage but they were broadcasting from my local bike café and it was heaving, the maindy flyers are going to have a bumper crop of applicants this year

I saw it on BBC news this morning and it looked ace.

Also Lawson Craddock is the only rider ever to be the latern rouge for every stage of the tour. The lad was last from the first stage to the end. I don't think that record will ever be beaten.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He got to ride the ultimate low-pressure safe race.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
EF earnt the least money from the tour, they got 14,000 euros in prize money.

Sky for comparison got 720,000.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
The riders need to step up and unionize.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
With rider salaries, mechanics and any other staff EF probably spent at least 100,000 euros to just ride the tour.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Sponsors money who ended up getting a fair bit more exposure because of him though

It's not like they are set up to make actual cash for their sponsors

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

Sponsors money who ended up getting a fair bit more exposure because of him though

It's not like they are set up to make actual cash for their sponsors

Also, one mention of Team EF Education First–Drapac powered by Cannondale is more screen times than ten mentions of Sky.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

The riders need to step up and unionize.

They really need to do this.

Freakonomics Radio has a rather interesting interview with Lance Armstrong and they touch on this issue: http://freakonomics.com/podcast/lance-armstrong/

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

accipter posted:

They really need to do this.

Freakonomics Radio has a rather interesting interview with Lance Armstrong and they touch on this issue: http://freakonomics.com/podcast/lance-armstrong/

Doesn't get much clearer than this:

quote:

So the athletes in U.F.C. apparently get around 8 to 10 percent of total revenues. Whereas in the N.F.L. it’s about 50 percent, it’s been as high as 60 percent.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You can't really compare cycling to any other professional sport though can you. Its an event that outside of track has no way for organisers to charge for attending it so by that nature they miss out on so much revenue.

I'm not saying the revenue they do get couldn't be better shared out, but if you're not generating 100-200 thousand every time they race from people coming to watch it makes things a lot more difficult.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Also who are they unionising against? It's not like the teams are withholding massive pots of cash from the riders. Negotiation with ASO seems like it could me more effectively done at the team level than the rider level. Any kind of rider holdout/strike and I imagine that half the teams would collapse in short order.

I'm sure I read an article recently that estimated TV revenue sharing from all organisers on the most generous believable terms would likely result in about €1.5m a year to World Tour teams. Certainly helpful but maybe about a tenth of their funding for most teams.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think in the next few years you'll see a want for ticketed entry to summit finishes and maybe the biggest climbs in grand tours. Both from a safety and revenue making stand point.

The logistics of which i'm sure are impossible to do or they would have been done already.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/1024431310583021568?s=19

So now we know who exactly told him to shut the gently caress up about Demare

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

serious gaylord posted:

I think in the next few years you'll see a want for ticketed entry to summit finishes and maybe the biggest climbs in grand tours. Both from a safety and revenue making stand point.

That's not going to happen in France, it's political suicide. (Unless maybe it's happening in Italy and Spain first and municipalities are making a lot of money from it.)

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Stadium/arena sports in the US really don’t care that much about gate receipts. The income from thst isn’t nothing, but it is completely dwarfed by TV contract money. The problem for cycling is you have nearly 180 pros in any single event and it’s honestly a horribad TV product with only a handful of races most people really follow.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

serious gaylord posted:

The logistics of which i'm sure are impossible to do or they would have been done already.

Having been to a TDF summit finish I don’t think it is feasible, it would require US army level logistics

Even just putring barriers on the big climbs would require a huge fleet of trucks and workers

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

African AIDS cum posted:

Having been to a TDF summit finish I don’t think it is feasible, it would require US army level logistics

Even just putring barriers on the big climbs would require a huge fleet of trucks and workers

Which is why I assume they haven't done it before now. I dunno, just something will have to change in the sport to get more money to the teams. Quickstep still haven't found new sponsors and while its unlikely they won't get anyone, it might not be the same amount of money they had before. Same as what happened at Cannondale and BMC.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
idgaf about the money, in fact we should ban professional sport altogether

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

serious gaylord posted:

Which is why I assume they haven't done it before now. I dunno, just something will have to change in the sport to get more money to the teams. Quickstep still haven't found new sponsors and while its unlikely they won't get anyone, it might not be the same amount of money they had before. Same as what happened at Cannondale and BMC.

I know what you mean, the economic model of the sport is pretty dated, for me that is part of the charm though. I think there is a lot they could do to make tv coverage more compelling like using more on bike cameras and power data etc

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

African AIDS cum posted:

I know what you mean, the economic model of the sport is pretty dated, for me that is part of the charm though. I think there is a lot they could do to make tv coverage more compelling like using more on bike cameras and power data etc

Theres no reason on stages that happen in a small enough era, time trials and crit stages essentially shouldn't have far more television data support ala F1. Cyclists are all fuckin nerds and having exact power data during time trials would be much nicer than the weird sanitised data we currently get from the Giro.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Some people say the teams don't want to release power data because competitive advantage though. I'm trying to determine why that would be. If I know Froome can put out 400w all day long during a time trial and win the stage, how does that help competitors? Maybe if a competitor gets info passed to him that Froome is currently putting out 550w on another stage and is in the lead, I guess they would know it's not sustainable for long-but what's that really going to do? If he breaks away, he breaks away.

I was going through some prior articles on dcrainmaker and it looks like in 2010 Team HTC-Columbia was releasing all their data to a site where people could go view how they were doing in real time (https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/07/behind-scenes-of-team-htc-columbia-and.html) so it's been done before. The article talks about how the team riders were apparently all for it, but then some of the comments mentioned something about UCI banning the phone relay which helped transmit the data, so maybe that's what killed it?

nwin fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 1, 2018

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well for one thing you're not gonna be able to bluff in any way, the poker face up a climb is a bit of an art in itself

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Skarsnik posted:

Well for one thing you're not gonna be able to bluff in any way, the poker face up a climb is a bit of an art in itself

Yeah I remember Lance Armstrong talking a bit about that in last year's podcast during the tour. He was of the mind that you might get away with it once, but after that people would be wise to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

nwin posted:

Yeah I remember Lance Armstrong talking a bit about that in last year's podcast during the tour. He was of the mind that you might get away with it once, but after that people would be wise to you.

why the gently caress are you listening to Lance Armstrong