Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Guy Goodbody posted:

No more Steam. No more downloadable games at all. Not even physical games sold on the internet. If a company can't get their game sold in Target, then too bad.

That might seem extreme, but clearly the pendulum has swung far too far in the other direction. Drastic steps are needed.

I think there should be things like steam but the "indie" developers should be forced to offer their products for free until they can establish a demand. Charging people 9.99 for your "indie" take on depression or whatever is insane - the only thing more insane is that people will actually pay it if steam puts the word "sale" on it.

"Indie" should not be a positive word when describing media, but for some reason it is. Indie movies suck, indie music sucks, indie games suck. Give me the stuff that actually makes money. It makes money for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Goodbody posted:

No more Steam. No more downloadable games at all. Not even physical games sold on the internet. If a company can't get their game sold in Target, then too bad.

That might seem extreme, but clearly the pendulum has swung far too far in the other direction. Drastic steps are needed.

lol

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think there should be things like steam but the "indie" developers should be forced to offer their products for free until they can establish a demand. Charging people 9.99 for your "indie" take on depression or whatever is insane - the only thing more insane is that people will actually pay it if steam puts the word "sale" on it.

"Indie" should not be a positive word when describing media, but for some reason it is. Indie movies suck, indie music sucks, indie games suck. Give me the stuff that actually makes money. It makes money for a reason.

if your game is like a half hour long text adventure where the twist is that you were the butt thief the whole time, maybe dont put a price tag on it. if you're anyone published by devolver, your games are probably worthy of drawing in cash. thats how i see it

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Or maybe these things are worth what people are willing to pay for them? If you buy things you don't like just because they are on sale, that isn't something that's the fault of the developer/publisher/marketplace.

It takes less than 10 minutes to check out some videos/reviews/goon impressions of a game and find out if its your thing. Steam shouldn't be responsible for only selling you things you like, the only responsibility they should have is to stop literal scams, malware and asset flips.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

It takes less than 10 minutes to check out some videos/reviews/goon impressions of a game and find out if its your thing. Steam shouldn't be responsible for only selling you things you like, the only responsibility they should have is to stop literal scams, malware and asset flips.

Why do they have that responsibility? Why only those? You're just making up your own rules, man. Your beliefs are not laws. You're just talking, you're no better than any random person off the street.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Yes? Isn't that what we are supposed to do in this, the Post Your Favorite Unpopular Opinion thread of the somethingawful forums?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
"i think companies should be responsible for making sure they arent selling actual bitcoin miners or other malware to people" shouldn't be an outlandish idea, but i guess some people prove that it apparently is!

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm not necessarily in favor of terraforming. What gives future humans the right to travel to some planet that has existed a particular way for millions of years and suddenly change its atmosphere to suit us?

We can't even take care of the one planet we've been given, so I'm skeptical of the idea that we should have the automatic right to go pollute some other planet when Earth becomes overpopulated.

I wouldnt worry about it. We're never going to colonize other planets or colonize space. The climate is going to keep heating up even if we stopped carbon emissions today. The oceans are going to acidify and there's going to be more mass extinctions. And no, solar energy or nuclear energy ain't gonna do poo poo. No technologies are going to save us. We're hosed.

This isn't an unpopular opinion because it isnt an opinion at all. But people feverishly deny it, all the same. "B-but technology! Renewables!!!" Nope.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Everything is going to be all right.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Blue Star posted:

I wouldnt worry about it. We're never going to colonize other planets or colonize space. The climate is going to keep heating up even if we stopped carbon emissions today. The oceans are going to acidify and there's going to be more mass extinctions. And no, solar energy or nuclear energy ain't gonna do poo poo. No technologies are going to save us. We're hosed.

This isn't an unpopular opinion because it isnt an opinion at all. But people feverishly deny it, all the same. "B-but technology! Renewables!!!" Nope.

Best to do nothing at all ever then and let it burn. What a terribly lovely attitude to have

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Higgy posted:

Best to do nothing at all ever then and let it burn. What a terribly lovely attitude to have

it's bluestar, that's their thing - having the dumbest opinions known to man, even worse than mine.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
bluestar is a troll. it is very obvious, and very funny. i commend them for not dropping the act for even one post

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

spit on my clit posted:

bluestar is a troll. it is very obvious, and very funny. i commend them for not dropping the act for even one post

Yeah I didn’t think so for ages, but now I really appreciate Blue Star.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I've heard these complaints about the deluge of terrible games flooding Steam and making it impossible to find anything good, but... what? I never see any of them. Just don't go digging through the piles of garbage and you won't come back with garbage.

So, you want to protect the already successful companies from potential competition?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

You bring up some good points. It just strikes me as selfish and possibly shortsighted to expand into the universe when we can't even treat our home planet right.

Shortsightedness and selfishness aren't just unlikable qualities, they're properties that result in suffering and death. We don't need to talk about sci fi style terraforming. We've always been shaping the world, and at an accelerating rate, too. If the human tendency to think and act parochially is not met with a countervailing tendency to realize the bigger picture that's happening, then we'll keep morphing as mindlessly as cancer, and we'll likely meet a similar conclusion.

A person might realize nothing gives or takes away their right to jump off a cliff and try to fly away, but if they've not factored in gravity, they will arrive at a fatal collision.

PHUO: yeah I eat rear end has become a better poster.

docbeard posted:

Everything is going to be all right.

So true, I just hope we also agree what "all right" looks like.

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

Tiggum posted:

I've heard these complaints about the deluge of terrible games flooding Steam and making it impossible to find anything good, but... what? I never see any of them. Just don't go digging through the piles of garbage and you won't come back with garbage

Your standards must be low as gently caress. I only use Steam to do the discovery queue thing for free cards during sales and 99% of what is presented to me is utter garbage.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

a bitchin jetski posted:

Your standards must be low as gently caress. I only use Steam to do the discovery queue thing for free cards during sales and 99% of what is presented to me is utter garbage.

What? No, the discovery queue is the pile of garbage. Just don't look at it. Find out about new games via one of the many other ways games are advertised and then just buy them on Steam. Steam is a shop. It sells many, many things. If you waste your time browsing the shelves you're going to see a lot of stuff you don't want, but if you know what you want ahead of time and you go straight to it then it's irrelevant what else is available.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

a bitchin jetski posted:

Lol, they've really got you hooked to the skinner box don't they

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

So, you want to protect the already successful companies from potential competition?

My point is more that a seller of other people's products should have at least some standards, so the buyer knows when they buy something there there is some baseline of quality they can expect. I do believe in peoples' right to spend money on whatever they want, but I personally will never buy a random steam game anymore no matter how interesting it sounds precisely because they don't have such standards. Especially alpha-release games. It's insane to be able to charge money on something that isn't even finished yet, and with many of them probably never will be. For example, a while back I made the mistake of buying an alpha release steam game (carp fishing simulator) and 3 and a half years later it's still in alpha with the latest news release over a year ago. Why were they allowed to charge 10 dollars for this crap (carp)?

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

starkebn posted:

Lol, they've really got you hooked to the skinner box don't they

It takes maybe 5 minutes tops to do the queue and i just sell the cards afterwards.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Then don't bitch about it?

loving gamers

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

hawowanlawow posted:

Then don't bitch about it?

loving gamers

you have now been hired by kotaku. please write your first article by tomorrow

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Why were they allowed to charge 10 dollars for this crap (carp)?

They were “allowed” to because there were people dumb enough to pay it.
I’ve never used Steam but did it identify the game as alpha release before you bought it? Because if it did, you are the one who bought a product that was listed as not being fully completed with no guarantee of when it would be, and now a year later you are complaining that it’s not completed.
I understand what you are saying about wanting Steam having some standards but I think you are thinking of it like it’s a boutique store with carefully curated selection when it sounds like it’s set up much more like a flea market.
Also you can put the blame on Steam all you want but it’s the people buying alpha releases that are the problem. Steam is just trying to make money but if there were putting up alpha release games and nobody was buying them until they were complete, they would stop.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

King of Foolians posted:

They were “allowed” to because there were people dumb enough to pay it.
I’ve never used Steam but did it identify the game as alpha release before you bought it? Because if it did, you are the one who bought a product that was listed as not being fully completed with no guarantee of when it would be, and now a year later you are complaining that it’s not completed.
I understand what you are saying about wanting Steam having some standards but I think you are thinking of it like it’s a boutique store with carefully curated selection when it sounds like it’s set up much more like a flea market.
Also you can put the blame on Steam all you want but it’s the people buying alpha releases that are the problem. Steam is just trying to make money but if there were putting up alpha release games and nobody was buying them until they were complete, they would stop.

3 and a half years later.

When you bought major games while they were in beta testing, you knew it would be released eventually. It's not hard to understand that when you see a game being sold early, they plan to and will finish it. This "release it as alpha and never, ever finish it" is a recent thing.

Plus they sell the "support the developers, they need your money to finish it" but no, they just waste your money and ride off in to the sunset.

e: the root issue is competency. A company should be vetted before steam buys their claim that they have a reasonable plan to finish the game in a reasonable amount of time. I acknowledge buying the game was stupid, but I actually believed steam wouldn't allow a bunch of hacks to sell their game and just abandon it. Like I said, it's a mistake I'll never make again.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Aug 2, 2018

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Paying for an unfinished game is a lot like pre-ordering: lmao you dumbass.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

fruit on the bottom posted:

Paying for an unfinished game is a lot like pre-ordering: lmao you dumbass.

I was desperate for any fishing simulator. Nobody has picked up the torch of trophy bass and I wanted to catch some fake fish drat it.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
steam is a virtual flea market. there, i've solved all your complaints: buyer beware. bad, lovely games existed not only before steam, but before Valve entirely.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
only back then patches didn't exist and software was barely optimized for various hardware setups so sometimes you would buy a game and whoops it never worked!

now you can refund a game on steam and have your money back in 24 hours.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:lol: if you didn't just heat gun the sticker off the box, install the game, and then return it to Babbage's.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I know I'm old and not really a real nerd anymore, because I've given up on even installing most of my steam backlog. All games I really wanted to play. Work, loving, facilitating loving, working out real loving hard, it just all takes up too much loving time. Did I mention before I gently caress?

Anyway, for the unpopular opinion. The best thing about the Fallout franchise is how you can loot poo poo, just go all round and whatever garbage someone left in their footlocker or dresser, you take it. AND, if you really want you can just kill them and take their stuff too. Really speaks to some primitive hunter gatherer urge.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Edit: pocket post

GIANT OUIJA BOARD has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Aug 2, 2018

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Video games are worthless and anyone who plays video games is worthless. This goes for the entire political spectrum. Anyone who complains about video games, the video game industry, video game journalism, etc. is a loving dipshit loser.

"Oh boo hoo, there's sexy ladies in this game, waaaaah sexist!!!" -- an ugly cis lady, probably
"Waaaaah SJWs are ruining vidja games" -- an obese manbaby probably

Here's the cold hard facts: none of that poo poo matters. Yes, "they" are ruining video games. And they deserve to be ruined. I'm gonna be honest: my futa cock gets ROCK loving HARD when i imagine myself travelling the world, smashing video game consoles and gaming PCs left and right, right in front of snotty-nosed tearful nerds begging me to stop. Your begging only makes my girlcock harder. Same goes for bluehaired SJWs: my face takes on a rictus grin as I imagine myself giving ALL the characters huge boobs and badonkadonks...and then smashing every video game that has a cis female protagonist. None of y'all get to have video games when I'm queen. My regime will get worse than that, once the mass executions begin. But by that point, you'll WANT to die, nerd.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I actually believed steam wouldn't allow a bunch of hacks to sell their game and just abandon it.
Why would you believe that? They'll sell anything they can get away with for as much as they can get. They're a business; they exist to make money.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Why would you believe that? They'll sell anything they can get away with for as much as they can get. They're a business; they exist to make money.

I explained why I believed that already. The problem I keep repeating is that most other businesses would go out of business if they sold garbage products. I'm very much aware of what steam is, you don't have to keep explaining it to me, my issue is and always was that they sell mostly garbage and they shouldn't lend authority to the garbage by selling it in their store.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Does steam claim to be a curator, only selling quality content? I was under the impression they sell pretty much everything and everyone who wants to put their product up. You have your 2 hands and a keyboard to look up what the game is before buying it.

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
They used to.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I feel like I'm talking to the wall here. I know what steam is, for like the fifth time my PHUO is that it should be what I'm well aware that it isn't. Going back to the beginning, because I bought a poo poo game from the overwhelming amount of bad games they sell, I am far less likely to buy another. If they had a base level of quality I could rely on, then I and I imagine many other people would be more likely to spend more money trying random games. That's it. That's the extent of my opinion. I was not asking to be smugly told what steam actually is.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

But, why should Steam curate games for you? It's just an open marketplace.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

But, why should Steam curate games for you? It's just an open marketplace.

Because I believe it's a better business model. I mean, compare it to say, netflix. If Netflix decided to suddenly add thousands of no-name low budget movies, I would be far less likely to use the service because it would be too much work to find something I want to watch. The way they work now, when they recommend a movie I hadn't seen before, I'm likely to click on it because it's more likely than not to be acceptable, if not decent/good. I certainly wouldn't continue paying them if over 80% of their movies were unwatchable trash.

e: to preempt any pedantic-ness: I know steam isn't a subscription service. I'm talking solely about their role as a content provider.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 12:35 on Aug 3, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I was joking. Steam is trash. I honestly hate using Steam more than iTunes. Every update makes it feel more bloated.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 12:37 on Aug 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That sounds like laziness to me. Why would you trust the Al Gore Rhythm to decide what you watch?