Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

squeezing an adhesive into the punctured battery cell and then gluing a piece of clamshell over the adhesive

Musk is once again acting like a Victorian captain of industry. He has reinvented beaumont egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

https://youtu.be/3nOxdKcqC_I?t=15

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A parking garage in Irving, Texas collapsed yesterday. Twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upmd_h5deG0

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
not as good as the local grocery store that collapsed because they forgot to factor in the weight of vehicles in the roof parking lot design imho

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lazyhound posted:

not as good as the local grocery store that collapsed because they forgot to factor in the weight of vehicles in the roof parking lot design imho

I think you’re talking about the Station Square collapse, but the Algo Centre Mall collapse isn’t that far off.

Canada sure knows how to build ’em. :thumbsup:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

stuck the landing, clean pirouette, 10/10

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

loving lol

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Hello! I really enjoy this thread. I read it everyday.

Today, however, I am in need of that video from that Art Studio? or club? in which a people burned to death and you can hear them screaming.

Thank you

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hello! I really enjoy this thread. I read it everyday.

Today, however, I am in need of that video from that Art Studio? or club? in which a people burned to death and you can hear them screaming.

Thank you

I believe that was the 2006 Lemón Party. Try googling that and see if anything comes up n

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
:monocle: My word!! Elderly penises!

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

It might also be the swap.avi theme night video.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I need the video for a project. DONT ASK WHAT THE PROJECT IS!

As long as we're rehashing incredibly old SA memes

But no, I want to give a friend nightmares show it to a friend as sort of a "This is why we have fire codes, you doofus"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
You're probably looking for The Station nightclub fire played by Great White

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'd say that one goes several steps beyond "you could hear them screaming"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Right right. Which was the one where it was like a 2 story building that people were squatting in as some sort of art commune?

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Right right. Which was the one where it was like a 2 story building that people were squatting in as some sort of art commune?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Oakland_warehouse_fire iirc

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Wasn't that the one where the news interviewed this one guy who talked about how horrible it was that he watched a friend burn to death but his hands were too full of his belongings to stop and help?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Renegret posted:

Wasn't that the one where the news interviewed this one guy who talked about how horrible it was that he watched a friend burn to death but his hands were too full of his belongings to stop and help?

I mean the guy was super-fat, what was he to do

Jake Mustache
Feb 7, 2017
https://i.imgur.com/h31JBxE.gifv

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I've heard that after an impact like that, even if the hat looks fine and seems undamaged, you should discard it and get a new one- is that true? (I'm not in a profession that usually requires hard-hats. )

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Luneshot posted:

I've heard that after an impact like that, even if the hat looks fine and seems undamaged, you should discard it and get a new one- is that true? (I'm not in a profession that usually requires hard-hats. )

Yes.

Same thing with bike helmets. They're made to break and fracture upon any impact and sometimes they do that in way you can't detect.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Renegret posted:

that was the owner talking about how he watched a friend burn to death yeah, though i think that one was from the hipster arthouse fire a year or two ago

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Luneshot posted:

hard hats are basically disposable. bike helmets dissipate impacts by shearing so you MOSDEF want to replace them after a crash.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Current finnish prime minister has El Camino he converted to wood gas and named it El Kamina (El Stove).

350 cid supercharged engine producing 80 HP. Wood consumption 40kg/2€ per 100km.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

https://i.imgur.com/MfQKgwy.mp4

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Saukkis posted:

Current finnish prime minister has El Camino he converted to wood gas and named it El Kamina (El Stove).

350 cid supercharged engine producing 80 HP. Wood consumption 40kg/2€ per 100km.

Does that car stink of turpentine?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Platystemon posted:

I think you’re talking about the Station Square collapse, but the Algo Centre Mall collapse isn’t that far off.

Canada sure knows how to build ’em. :thumbsup:

The former, yeah. The actual cause was a bit more complex, of course.

quote:

At 9AM on the morning of April 23, 1988, customers were let into the store as part of a grand opening sale for senior citizens. Within 10 minutes an employee noticed water spraying from an overhead pipe that had burst. It was buckling under pressure from a roof beam that was twisting out of shape above a steel column. The 4.5 minute-long structural failure was heard and witnessed by many of the store occupants, including several who took photographs of the twisting and crushed beam. Evacuation alerts were issued through the public address system and the store was emptied in less than 5 minutes. The mayor of Burnaby, Bill Copeland, who presided over the opening ceremonies, assisted in directing the evacuation of approximately 600 customers and 307 employees.[2]

Four structural bays of the roof, measuring 27 by 23 meters (87 by 75 feet), collapsed into the produce section. One store employee was trapped under the debris and was removed by first responders using forklifts; he suffered a crushed pelvis. Several people were blown off their feet by the rushing air from the collapse.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Was waiting for the tool to get caught and go flying/hit him... was not expecting the actual result at all.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Bip Roberts posted:

Does that car stink of turpentine?

I wanna know what happens if it gets in a crash. Do the passengers get exploded, burned, or boiled to death?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Platystemon posted:

Musk is once again acting like a Victorian captain of industry. He has reinvented beaumont egg.

So how....bad is trying to patch electrical cells like that

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

OSHA inspector shows up at Spithead, gets flogged around the fleet

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

Very bad. They might short-circuit when they get warm. They will also lose electrolyte and oxidize until the hole is sealed again, making them even more likely to warm up more during use.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Nebakenezzer posted:

https://twitter.com/marycmccormack/status/1007831286176571394

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Lurking Haro posted:

Very bad. They might short-circuit when they get warm. They will also lose electrolyte and oxidize until the hole is sealed again, making them even more likely to warm up more during use.

I get why a short circuit in large batteries is pretty much a nightmare scenario...how does a badly patched hole contribute to this? Also, ahhhh, wtf they were patching damaged batteries and their patch didn't even stop the loss of electrolyte?!

Oh, is the leaking electrolyte the cause of possible shorts?

tactlessbastard posted:

OSHA inspector shows up at Spithead, gets flogged around the fleet

"I know its a full storm wind, sailor, but you have the ratlines."

Most sailors couldn't swim

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Sailing ships couldn't turn around to pick you up anyway, so being able to swim just means you tread water before drowning.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Nebakenezzer posted:

being able to swim recreationally is kind of a luxury. when the thai boys were in the cave, many people commented on how they couldn't swim although thailand is a fairly waterlogged country. well, if you have to share all your swimming holes, rivers etc. with pollution, boats, and wildlife...

this is true historically as well. it wasn't until after or during the second world war that the us navy required sailors to learn how to swim, which means teaching them how to swim, because few people lived in an environment where they had access to a safe place to swim as a child. it's often just easier to tell kids to stay the hell away from water

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Byzantine posted:

Sailing ships couldn't turn around to pick you up anyway, so being able to swim just means you tread water before drowning.

That's why they would sometimes heave to and drop a small boat in. Going overboard even in the age of sail wasn't an absolute death sentence.

Well in lovely seas or a storm you're prolly hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Which TV show is this from?