Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

IcePhoenix posted:

I was talking with a friend about which cards I'm planning to add to my Ursula deck and found out that not only is skeleton key not out yet but it is probably months out from release, what the hell arkhamdb why is it there if I can't use it :mad:

You can select which pack you own in your profile, it will list cards from those selected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zerf posted:

You can select which pack you own in your profile, it will list cards from those selected.

My friend that owns all the cards just buys everything as soon as it comes out so I just assumed everything listed in arkhamdb was actually available

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

IcePhoenix posted:

My friend that owns all the cards just buys everything as soon as it comes out so I just assumed everything listed in arkhamdb was actually available

Cards from previews shows up as well,, so usually there's about <10 listed which aren't out yet.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Honestly I wish they would've made L5R a traditional release pattern and Arkham the whole accelerated thing since the Arkham packs actually kinda depend on each other for campaigns. Also it sucks seeing stuff previewed months away.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

alansmithee posted:

Honestly I wish they would've made L5R a traditional release pattern and Arkham the whole accelerated thing since the Arkham packs actually kinda depend on each other for campaigns. Also it sucks seeing stuff previewed months away.

Agreed. Waiting for Olive McBride is killing me--I keep checking the packs as they come out only to realize she was waaaaaaaay later in the Forgotten Age cycle.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Agreed. Waiting for Olive McBride is killing me--I keep checking the packs as they come out only to realize she was waaaaaaaay later in the Forgotten Age cycle.

Or just waiting to see if Ancient Stone is worth the xp.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Finished the Carcosa campaign as Wendy Adams, comboed with Leo Anderson. Having previously focussed on combat, it was neat to be such an anti-combat character. Lockpicks were key to getting clues, but it was always funny when I inserted a lockpick into The Stranger for value. I hosed up by finishing the campaign with a Possession in hand. Time for a little girl to be come a succesful playwright!

I think I might do a solo campaign as super rich Jenny. Any advice on the most fun solo characters to play?

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 1, 2018

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Wazzu posted:

Finished the Carcosa campaign as Wendy Adams, comboed with Leo Anderson. Having previously focussed on combat, it was neat to be such an anti-combat character. Lockpicks were key to getting clues, but it was always funny when I inserted a lockpick into The Stranger for value. I hosed up by finishing the campaign with a Possession in hand. Time for a little girl to be come a succesful playwright!

I think I might do a solo campaign as super rich Jenny. Any advice on the most fun solo characters to play?

Just for future reference, you can't use Lockpicks on the Stranger - it's an action symbol on his card to investigate him, and the Lockpicks are a separate action. Same reason that you can't use the flashlight on him.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Sorta related but new Arkham Horror Board Game Edition!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/8/1/arkham-horror-third-edition/

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

It looks absolutely wonderful. Although I had always kinda saw Eldritch Horror as the revamped Arkham Horror board game (and the card game as an even better revamp).

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

alansmithee posted:

It looks absolutely wonderful. Although I had always kinda saw Eldritch Horror as the revamped Arkham Horror board game (and the card game as an even better revamp).

Same. I'm pretty surprised they're revamping Arkham Horror with Eldritch right there and doing fine. But it does look really good!

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I wonder what this means for the future of EH. I've never played the AH board game but I love EH and the last big box was released in February with no announcement since then of any more expansions. I guess this is why?

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Arkham Horror 2nd Edition popped my cherry on the Arkham Mythos Fantasy Flight has. That game was loving good but I'll take the card game over any of it.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

Arkham Horror 2nd Edition popped my cherry on the Arkham Mythos Fantasy Flight has. That game was loving good but I'll take the card game over any of it.

I agree completely. I can get people to play the card game a lot easier than the board game.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Lol we lost Return to the Night of the Zealot pretty badly on the last adventure. Roland and Jenny didn't make a good duo. We've beaten Night of the Zealot + Dunwich as Pete/Zoey before.

Think Agnes/Rex would be good for Carcosa? Is Agnes fighty enough?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

She easily can be, but you'lll probably want to lean to having some evasion/avoidance in Rex in case it takes awhile for Agnes to get her setup. That said she's pretty killer with her passive, and shriveling is arguably the best weapon in the game. You also can skip out on some of the clue gathering stuff since you're teaming with Rex who basically is the clue master.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

We just finished Carcosa tonight, I'm going to miss Yorick... I loved killing monsters because they had my teddy bear and I WANTED IT BACK.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

alg posted:

Lol we lost Return to the Night of the Zealot pretty badly on the last adventure. Roland and Jenny didn't make a good duo. We've beaten Night of the Zealot + Dunwich as Pete/Zoey before.

Think Agnes/Rex would be good for Carcosa? Is Agnes fighty enough?

She's probably fighty enough, but the problem might be is she fast enough? All mystics are kinda slow until they get their boardstate, at which point they can do anything.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I guess we'll find out today. I included I've got a Plan and Strange Solution just in case

Edit: Rex is a machine

alg fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 5, 2018

thocan
Jan 18, 2014
So, next weekend my LGS is doing a Labyrinth event. I don't know anyone I'm going to be playing with, and don't know the scenario at all. Normal rules for standalone deck construction. Thinking about bringing two decks, maybe three if I have time to build them, to avoid character overlap.

Since I'm going in pretty blind, I'm having a hard time deciding what decks to build. My gut right now is Roland and Agnes or Akachi, since either way I've got combat and clues covered decently well. Maybe Ashcan Pete for the same reason, though I'm not as familiar with survivor cards.

Would it be more worthwhile to build more specialized (Rex/Zoey) type characters, and not worry about covering everything? Or, should I just build whatever I want and trust that it'll work out fine?

Also, does anyone have any general guidelines on spending exp for standalone? I'm thinking right now to stay under nine to avoid the extra weakness.

Any other (spoiler free) tips for going into one of these PoD scenarios blind? If it helps, my collection right now is 2 Core, full Dunwich cycle, and the Path to Carcosa box. I could/might pick up more if there are seriously good cards I'm missing, but I'm limited to whatever the lgs has in stock, which has been pretty depleted lately.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

thocan posted:

So, next weekend my LGS is doing a Labyrinth event. I don't know anyone I'm going to be playing with, and don't know the scenario at all. Normal rules for standalone deck construction. Thinking about bringing two decks, maybe three if I have time to build them, to avoid character overlap.

Since I'm going in pretty blind, I'm having a hard time deciding what decks to build. My gut right now is Roland and Agnes or Akachi, since either way I've got combat and clues covered decently well. Maybe Ashcan Pete for the same reason, though I'm not as familiar with survivor cards.

Would it be more worthwhile to build more specialized (Rex/Zoey) type characters, and not worry about covering everything? Or, should I just build whatever I want and trust that it'll work out fine?

Also, does anyone have any general guidelines on spending exp for standalone? I'm thinking right now to stay under nine to avoid the extra weakness.

Any other (spoiler free) tips for going into one of these PoD scenarios blind? If it helps, my collection right now is 2 Core, full Dunwich cycle, and the Path to Carcosa box. I could/might pick up more if there are seriously good cards I'm missing, but I'm limited to whatever the lgs has in stock, which has been pretty depleted lately.

If your FLGS is planning on having enough people for three full groups of four, I recommend specializing pretty heavily. Even my group of three effectively ended up with two players due to story effects (my poor Sefina), and they did just fine with heavily specialized characters (Leo for combat and soaking damage, Minh for picking up all the clues).

The only other non-spoilery thing I'll mention is that you literally cannot waste deck slots for Labyrinths of Lunacy--everything will be useful in some capacity. All my Sefina deck ended up doing before biting the dust was generate enough resources to nearly deplete my supply of resource tokens, and that ended up being a huge boon, though not necessarily for me.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

If your FLGS is planning on having enough people for three full groups of four, I recommend specializing pretty heavily. Even my group of three effectively ended up with two players due to story effects (my poor Sefina), and they did just fine with heavily specialized characters (Leo for combat and soaking damage, Minh for picking up all the clues).

The only other non-spoilery thing I'll mention is that you literally cannot waste deck slots for Labyrinths of Lunacy--everything will be useful in some capacity. All my Sefina deck ended up doing before biting the dust was generate enough resources to nearly deplete my supply of resource tokens, and that ended up being a huge boon, though not necessarily for me.

Yeah, I believe the goal is the full twelve. I'll look into changing around the Roland deck for full monster slaying, and I guess I'll just treat his ability as a nice bonus. Though I might be better off with Zoey or Mark at that point.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm gonna put Grotesque Statue in one of my decks just so I can use all four charges on one pull to make me laugh.

Also Arkhamdb does not adjust for shrewd analysis so it thinks my 9xp Ursula deck needs 16 xp lol

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Arrgh. I’ve been trying to complete my Carcosa set of cards before I play through the campaign and I still can’t find Echoes of the Past locally. I bought everything else back in May and the wait as been very annoying. Buying it online has crossed my mind but it’s hard to justify paying an extra 50% of the price of the expansion just for shipping.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Old Swerdlow posted:

Arrgh. I’ve been trying to complete my Carcosa set of cards before I play through the campaign and I still can’t find Echoes of the Past locally. I bought everything else back in May and the wait as been very annoying. Buying it online has crossed my mind but it’s hard to justify paying an extra 50% of the price of the expansion just for shipping.

The store in which I work has plenty of copies in stock. I could get you one shipped out on Monday afternoon, if you're interested. PM me for details.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I've been playing this game since it came out and I finally got to play with a four player group. It was so much fun and the two that never played picked up on it real fast. We played through vanilla Zealot and rocked it. It's just so refreshing being able to bounce off the other characters and no having to worry about every role.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Finally got Return and all Forgotten Age shift.

I really like the changes Return introduced to the core campaign. Difficult encounter sets aside, I really dig the slight-but-well-placed fixes to make scenarios more interesting and replayable. While countering the "sit and prep for Umordoth" is probably the eye-catcher, I'm most fond of expanding the Gathering to a proper full scenario that actually sees the third agenda. As much as people like to poo poo on this scenario, I really liked it as a dedicated tutorial that really let you teach people on the go, rather than pre-loading all the rules. Now it has a tutorial version and play version. I imagine the Return campaign modifications (sans the new encounter sets) working great for people hot off their teaching run yet not quite ready to tackle a proper, long campaign.

Also, between this and the upcoming Egypptian two-parter it's nifty to have these short campaigns playable in a single evening. I really appreciate some variety for my habit of aggressively testing new deck ideas before embarking on a long-rear end campaign.

The box truly is ridiculous with regards to unused space and the mixture of overpricing and inclusion of player cards is some prime FFG scumminess. Still, I appreciate how experimental they are with this game (both content- and product-wise). Novella extras have to die, though.

The Forgotten Age is super cool, though. Playing solo with Finn, the scenarios felt really drat surprisingly hard - though deck tweaking might have been a part of that. The first scenario took me quite a few times until I both fixed some deck weaknesses and got a decent idea of how the map will look like (campaign pro tip: take mental notes on yet-unused area connections when exploring). The second one could be tough to close out in time if not for packing Elusive. Conversely, Threads of Fate turned out to be a real cakewalk, which was a bit of a shame given the potential tension of it's neat Act-based gimmick. Maybe I happened to luck out (God knows the cultists can easily spin out of control) or maybe it was some scaling issue - my gut feeling was the required amount of clues had been undertuned. Then the Boundary Beyond got rude again - I happened to successfully explore on the easiest locations and drawing treacheries on ones whose costs are more troublesome really hurts. It probably would get easier with more investigators, as the exploration deck doesn't scale and the team can spread the expenses around.

The supplies minigame is extremely rude when going blind, kinda sweaty when planning consciously and will probably work best when you half-remember the rudest poo poo in a year, but don't remember the details to plan exactly (like how much gas to take to Mexico, etc.). The chaos bag/campaign mechanic is great - I love this crpg-ish warring factions shtick and have squealed with joy to see a "gently caress everyone, I'll handle this myself" option. I also love it when mechanics like this or Conviction/Doubt really mutate some scenarios.

As an aside, I really like how both Path to Carcosa and Forgotten Age aggressively steal cards from the Midnight Masks. That pile of unused second core set cards keeps shrinking with each cycle.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to playing Return this weekend. I agree with most of what Lichtenstein said, just wanted to add that its loving hard.

Admittedly we were playing 4 people and on expert, but we tried a couple times to make it through the first scenario and couldn't finish it without being defeated. The trauma was a bitch the rest of the way. We even rebuilt our decks to specifically counter the mythos deck after the first crushing and that wasn't enough.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/9/5/return-to-the-dunwich-legacy/

Noice

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Sounds like they’re fixing the Essex Express scenario. The replacement for Ancient Evils looks cool - it’s still worse than the average card, but it’s not straight backbreaking.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I just want the nicely done dividers.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
New strange solution looks bad.
Trading 4 actions for a net gain of 2 cards and 5 resources seems expensive when cryptic research costs the same xp.

I guess it combos really well with emergency cache (3) or venturer?

Comparing it to emergency cache plus spending actions drawing cards and gaining resources it saves you 2 actions. Looking at emergency cache (2) or lucky (2) I guess it is costed appropriately if the opportunity cost of discovering the solution is negligible.

Biggest advantage is that it lowers your chances of getting the bad solution if you go with random upgrades to save xp.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 5, 2018

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Is the Return to the Night of the Zealot upgrade expansion worth it?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Rhaegar posted:

I really liked it for the price. The storage worked for me and the new content was fun. I'm not someone who buys the wood storage units and poo poo though. I simply sleeve my scenario cards and put them in the box.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Rhaegar posted:

It improves the NotZ campaign so if you plan on ever playing that campaign again, yes.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Prairie Bus posted:

Sounds like they’re fixing the Essex Express scenario. The replacement for Ancient Evils looks cool - it’s still worse than the average card, but it’s not straight backbreaking.

Would it be gamebreaking to just straight up houserule this as a replacement for all Ancient Evils includes? Ancient Evils is murderous, especially in four player games.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

bobvonunheil posted:

Would it be gamebreaking to just straight up houserule this as a replacement for all Ancient Evils includes? Ancient Evils is murderous, especially in four player games.

Nothing would break, but some things might be lost.

Sometimes, like in the Gathering, Ancient Evils are just a random event and you probably won't miss them much.

However, Ancient Evils has a purpose in the game, that is seriously disrupting players banking on carefully managing doom. So if you're playing:
- one of these scenarios heavy on cultist-chasing shenanigans,
- a scenario where you know you're doing some agenda-timing trickery on a replay,
- a doom-juggling mystic,

I think you'd be doing yourself a bit of disservice. Though this is admittedly a "rambling about easy mode in dark souls" kind of opinion.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

Nothing would break, but some things might be lost.

Sometimes, like in the Gathering, Ancient Evils are just a random event and you probably won't miss them much.

However, Ancient Evils has a purpose in the game, that is seriously disrupting players banking on carefully managing doom. So if you're playing:
- one of these scenarios heavy on cultist-chasing shenanigans,
- a scenario where you know you're doing some agenda-timing trickery on a replay,
- a doom-juggling mystic,

I think you'd be doing yourself a bit of disservice. Though this is admittedly a "rambling about easy mode in dark souls" kind of opinion.

Well, it’s not like the replacement card would make any of those scenarios that much easier - the alternative is drawing two new encounter cards, which is still much worse than any single card.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Prairie Bus posted:

Well, it’s not like the replacement card would make any of those scenarios that much easier - the alternative is drawing two new encounter cards, which is still much worse than any single card.

Clearly it isn't if that single card says "add a doom, this can cause the objective to advance" or else you would've picked that option instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

Clearly it isn't if that single card says "add a doom, this can cause the objective to advance" or else you would've picked that option instead.

Fair, you’ve caught my sloppy writing. I should’ve said “most cards.” The point remains, it’s still a very tough encounter card.