Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

That is why I love in the remakes you could chose your partner, though admittedly there was only two really good partners. The ninja chick who had a decent chance of just wiping out an entire horde encounter by herself and your childhood friend who could take over the healing role and allow you to just focus on offense.

Actually the best partner is my faerie mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Actually the best partner is my faerie mom

She's terrible mechanically.

Hunt11 posted:

That is why I love in the remakes you could chose your partner, though admittedly there was only two really good partners. The ninja chick who had a decent chance of just wiping out an entire horde encounter by herself and your childhood friend who could take over the healing role and allow you to just focus on offense.
Navarre is extremely useful in boss fights if you don't have a dedicated buffer.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

What's the negotiation pattern you're supposed to use in SMT IV, is it agree to the first request, cheat the second, deny/end talks at the third? Because no matter what combination I try, it feels completely random whether or not it works.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Omi no Kami posted:

What's the negotiation pattern you're supposed to use in SMT IV, is it agree to the first request, cheat the second, deny/end talks at the third? Because no matter what combination I try, it feels completely random whether or not it works.

Refuse once + cheat once + end talks has a reasonable success rate if you don't want to give away anything.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I usually only ever agree to give them Life Stones, or Life/Spirit, then refuse everything else until End Talks shows up. It's not guaranteed, but it works more often than not.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I always refuse once, then give them the rest. This is usually enough for them to think I'm not a "sucker," while they get a bunch of stuff. Most of the things they ask for aren't items I care about anyways. If I do, then I will actually refuse.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'm doing a NG+ on P4G because I am an incredibly broken person. I'm fast forwarding all the story. Just finished Kanji's dungeon. Did it in one day but I had to pay the Fox a fortune to heal because it's only Rank 1 so far.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

irlZaphod posted:

I'm doing a NG+ on P4G because I am an incredibly broken person. I'm fast forwarding all the story. Just finished Kanji's dungeon. Did it in one day but I had to pay the Fox a fortune to heal because it's only Rank 1 so far.
Nothing wrong with that, I wound up playing P4G three times back-to-back-to-back when it first came out. It remains the only real Platinum trophy I've gotten (not counting a couple of VN ones).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

Nothing wrong with that, I wound up playing P4G three times back-to-back-to-back when it first came out. It remains the only real Platinum trophy I've gotten (not counting a couple of VN ones).
I finished it last Summer, I just had a bit of an urge to play it again and get some more trophies in it.

It's just silly because I'm still in the middle of SJ Redux, and I'm still working on the Chapter 1s of Octopath Traveler, so it's not like I don't have other JRPGs to play. I figured I can sort of blitz through it though. I so far haven't been abusing it by buying high level Personas from the Compendium, but I do have some higher level gear.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 1, 2018

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Hey, recently I've been playing the SMT mobile game, and while it's been fun, I've kind of balked when I hit the soft paywall. I figured if they're gonna nudge me towards paying $30 or so, might as well get a full game for it. So I'm here to ask a dumb question. What's the difference between Shin Megami Tensei IV and Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocolypse?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Catalina posted:

Hey, recently I've been playing the SMT mobile game, and while it's been fun, I've kind of balked when I hit the soft paywall. I figured if they're gonna nudge me towards paying $30 or so, might as well get a full game for it. So I'm here to ask a dumb question. What's the difference between Shin Megami Tensei IV and Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocolypse?

SMT4A is basically a sequel. You can play it by itself but all the references and stuff will be meaningless.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I keep a P4G save file that's right at the start of Yukiko's dungeon because really, the first hour or two is basically a cutscene mashing slog.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Catalina posted:

They're both good games.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Thank you! Now to decide between SMT:IV or Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker...

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
As long as you read the logbook or whatever that is provided in Apocolypse then you should understand what is going on, and perhaps more importantly Apocolypse is a massive refinement of the press turn system that IV uses and some of its innovations I expect to see carried on to future SMT games as a way to really help define individual demons.

Edit: If you are going for a Devil Survivor game then you should go for the first one as plot wise it is a lot stronger and more importantly it overall contains the most sane alignment heroes the SMT franchise has ever seen.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Catalina posted:

Thank you! Now to decide between SMT:IV or Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker...

SMTIV or A without question over DS2. I really bounced off DS2 hard despite loving DS1.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Devil Survivor 2 is my favorite SMT game while I feel mostly lukewarm on Devil Survivor 1.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Thanks again for the help. :) I figure what I'm going to do is play DS2, then SMTIV.
I played through Devil Survivor 1 on the DS, and rented DS2 on the DS but never finished it. I loved Devil Survivor 1 A LOT, and thought DS2 was batshit insane but in kind of a fun way. I would probably pick SMTIV first, but I have other reasons, because as far as I'm concerned, SMT is just one big series for Jack-collecting.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Devil Survivor 2 was way stronger mechanically than the first one even if it has major tone issues.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Catalina posted:

Thanks again for the help. :) I figure what I'm going to do is play DS2, then SMTIV.
I played through Devil Survivor 1 on the DS, and rented DS2 on the DS but never finished it. I loved Devil Survivor 1 A LOT, and thought DS2 was batshit insane but in kind of a fun way. I would probably pick SMTIV first, but I have other reasons, because as far as I'm concerned, SMT is just one big series for Jack-collecting.

Soul Hackers has Lucifrost.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Navarre is extremely useful in boss fights if you don't have a dedicated buffer.

Fairy mom owns random encounters by casting tarunda + charm then owns bosses by shooting them with piercing bullets that remove smirks.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So for Persona 4 Golden, I’m not really sweating poo poo too much because I’ve already resigned myself to just maybe maxing party member links and the Fox because those are the only ones with mechanical benefits (and obviously Nanako too obviously) but is not grinding gonna bite me in the rear end? I’m in the second not-palace and Yukiko joined about five levels higher than the rest of my crew and the enemies are like 15-17, but I’m having less issues with new Personas and Yukiko’s Maragi in general.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The game gets substantially easier after the third palace, and there's exp scaling so you'll be fine.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

She looks the best and has the best battle lines so she matters in all the important ways

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

In my first P4G playthrough, I never bothered much with the Item Exchange in the pub at night time. I'm kind of looking at it now because I got a ton of fish early on by giving the Bug Catching kid food and drinks, and have max Diligence etc. It seems like the lower level equipment is kind of useless to me because I'm on NG+ and have access to probably nearly everything in the weapon shop. Some of the higher level equipment seems quite good though, but presumably I won't get the necessary gems until later in the game?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Catalina posted:

For what it's worth, if you liked the goofy over-the-top action-comedy parts of Devil Survivor 2's plot, then you'll probably like the extra story arc added in Record Breaker, because it pretty much leans all the way into that side of it. The story feels even less grounded than the original arc and starts escalating into weird cosmic bullshit really fast, but if you're in the market for weird cosmic bullshit then it delivers.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 2, 2018

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Last Celebration posted:

So for Persona 4 Golden, I’m not really sweating poo poo too much because I’ve already resigned myself to just maybe maxing party member links and the Fox because those are the only ones with mechanical benefits (and obviously Nanako too obviously) but is not grinding gonna bite me in the rear end? I’m in the second not-palace and Yukiko joined about five levels higher than the rest of my crew and the enemies are like 15-17, but I’m having less issues with new Personas and Yukiko’s Maragi in general.
Just try to kill golden hands when you have the chance. There is a weird all-or-nothing IMO to P4G's leveling in that some folks would be insanely overleveled and some the exact opposite, and the difference always seems to come down to how many gold hands they went after.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I played DS1 and DS2 but I found both of them to be super grindy and I got the same ending twice. Looking forward to the new SMT game on switch despite not owning one.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Strange Journey Redux Womb of Grief question : on the fourth sphere I found a door that's sealed by a powerful force. How do I get past this?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Artelier posted:

Strange Journey Redux Womb of Grief question : on the fourth sphere I found a door that's sealed by a powerful force. How do I get past this?

Are you talking about the door that requires you to beat the boss to get through (which is there on every floor), or are you talking about the hidden doors which let you create shortcuts after making some progress?

Either way, you should go make your way to the boss. In the second case, if you are stuck near the beginning, just know you can walk on air.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Don't know, just a door that's protected by some invisible force. Could be the beat boss first door, never found one before meeting the boss.

I'll keep looking

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Artelier posted:

Don't know, just a door that's protected by some invisible force. Could be the beat boss first door, never found one before meeting the boss.

I'll keep looking

That is 100% the "kill the boss" door.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/1025295134848503808?s=19

Atlus finally remembered that this game existed.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Is that coming out on 3DS?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I hope pq2 is better than the first one because it was a good idea that they didn't seem to put much effort into

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

https://twitter.com/p_kouhou/status/1025769703979937792

p3pchan is ALIVE, fellas!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

melodicwaffle posted:

p3pchan is ALIVE, fellas!

Holy loving poo poo, this game might actually be worth playing

e: I'm clicking "Translate tweet" on all the replies and getting "Ham child has come to war", lol

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/iiotenki/status/1025771160787509248

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svrbt-iuTDs

Dehry fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 4, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hamuko Arisato is still a threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
okay, I got embarrassingly excited for this