Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In the future all labor should be done by robots which are publicly owned and then rented to companies, those rents are put into a central fund and distributed to citizens.

This is my half legit idea I'm kicking around fully expecting it to have gaping holes in it even if it is ever tried (it won't be).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

They are liberals and ultimately think there's some configuration of capitalism with a human face that will work if they only fiddle with it enough.

It looks like Singapore but that involves “work” and “the government owning 80% of all housing and most hospitals”

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

comedyblissoption posted:

This is what happened to farmers during the great depression. Lots of farmers lost their farms because there was too much food (in spite of propaganda you might have heard about the dust bowl). There was so much food that to bring prices higher, FDR started paying farmers to destroy their livestock and crops. This occurred while food riots and mass hunger permeated the country.

That was a common issue throughout American history really. Farmers were having issues meeting their basic needs because food was too cheap so they'd grow more! Then that would drive the price further down. Meanwhile city folks were going hungry despite the over abundance of food that existed because, surprise surprise, the rich wouldn't pay them enough to meet their basic needs. Food stamps fixed a lot of that mixed with farm subsidies and financial incentives to farmers. This is why there's stuff like minimum prices on milk.

Why did food stamps and free school lunches happen? Because we wanted better soldiers. The military was kvetching that they kept getting scrawny, underfed recruits so the answer was to throw food at poor people. No "hey maybe hunger just sucks and we produce enough food so hey why not, like, feed everybody?" Nah we just need big meat for the grinder.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
How would this thread do in dnd?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
it'd be another glorious success just like the bad trump thread after you guys wouldn't stop loving with it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Burt Sexual posted:

Fine, but there'd be even more words and even fewer pictures.

Fewer chuds too, though

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I know UBI is bad because Reddit morons and Musk worshippers talk about it constantly

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

thatguy posted:

it'd be another glorious success just like the bad trump thread after you guys wouldn't stop loving with it

?

E no one hosed with that thread. This thread is for funny jpgs not dissertations of Marx, it was fun the first 20 pages.

Take that poo poo to cspam.

Burt Sexual has issued a correction as of 00:38 on Aug 2, 2018

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inept posted:

I know UBI is bad because Reddit morons and Musk worshippers talk about it constantly

Sounds like maybe you spend too much time listening to idiots

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Burt Sexual posted:

Sorry but we can't begin addressing the glaring problems of capitalism until you show me irrefutable proof that this will lead to the end of racism, and no you can't ask me why this is the only thing I hold to that standard.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/rI6paaP.mp4

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

is pepsi ok posted:

Sorry but we can't begin addressing the glaring problems of capitalism until you show me irrefutable proof that this will lead to the end of racism, and no you can't ask me why this is the only thing I hold to that standard.

Capitalism created and sustains racism, it's good for capitalism. Collectivism means recognizing the whole of your class as your equal, without exceptions - this is a recognition born not only of compassion but also of dialectical thinking; critical thought that disentangles all contradictory notions of human betterment and potential.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Post jpgs or I start hitting the button

https://imgur.com/gallery/j30naZg?s=sms

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Monopoly would be more like real capitalism if every 4 turns the player with the most money was allowed to pay the bank to change a rule.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

This image just made me realise there's basically the same thing in my Western European nations capital.

The most impoverished area near the docks was turned in the late 80s into a tax haven for financial services. And today there's still a half street of houses protesting the office blocks that surround them and refusing to sell.
And around the corner is councils houses of the most disadvantaged area. Known for being the home of the leaders of the biggest drug cartel that's currently involved in a bloody struggle to wipe out the second biggest.

And the funny thing is everyone jokes about it in work. The only places to get food around the area are over-priced hipster cafes or salad bars. And behind us are some of the poorest, and in some cases dangerous people in the city.

I myself do not work in finance but spoke to some of the people who worked in the major consultant players. And those places sound like hell. One guy left from the stress to join our engineering company. He got screamed out by his manager in a non-soundproofed glass meeting room in full view of the open plan office. And when he reported it to HR they brought it back to the manager and told them his name. Sounds like he left because the manager made him miserable.
But I've spoken to others and some of them, their job is to entertain clients. Basically bring out the company credit card for important clients. Free drinks sounds like a fun job except these client meetings are usually Tuesday to Thursday so they always have to consider getting to work the next day. They've said it's poo poo work sipping drinks while corporate honchos get plastered and want to keep the evening going to the early morning. Basically sounds like consultancy firms just bribe select people in companies to win lucrative contracts. I know one of them delivered an IT solution to the government. They won a 2 million contract and farmed it out to a small firm for 60,000.

I should try find a spot to take a picture that contrasts the financial offices and poorer community.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

EvilJoven posted:

Monopoly would be more like real capitalism if every 4 turns the player with the most money was allowed to pay the bank to change a rule.

Funny text

Marenghi posted:

This image just made me realise there's basically the same thing in my Western European nations capital.

The most impoverished area near the docks was turned in the late 80s into a tax haven for financial services. And today there's still a half street of houses protesting the office blocks that surround them and refusing to sell.
And around the corner is councils houses of the most disadvantaged area. Known for being the home of the leaders of the biggest drug cartel that's currently involved in a bloody struggle to wipe out the second biggest.

And the funny thing is everyone jokes about it in work. The only places to get food around the area are over-priced hipster cafes or salad bars. And behind us are some of the poorest, and in some cases dangerous people in the city.

I myself do not work in finance but spoke to some of the people who worked in the major consultant players. And those places sound like hell. One guy left from the stress to join our engineering company. He got screamed out by his manager in a non-soundproofed glass meeting room in full view of the open plan office. And when he reported it to HR they brought it back to the manager and told them his name. Sounds like he left because the manager made him miserable.
But I've spoken to others and some of them, their job is to entertain clients. Basically bring out the company credit card for important clients. Free drinks sounds like a fun job except these client meetings are usually Tuesday to Thursday so they always have to consider getting to work the next day. They've said it's poo poo work sipping drinks while corporate honchos get plastered and want to keep the evening going to the early morning. Basically sounds like consultancy firms just bribe select people in companies to win lucrative contracts. I know one of them delivered an IT solution to the government. They won a 2 million contract and farmed it out to a small firm for 60,000.

I should try find a spot to take a picture that contrasts the financial offices and poorer community.

Nah

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Whoever made this deserves a slow death.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

thatguy posted:

thank god we have a single payer rent system here in the US and single payer food supply otherwise rent and food prices would be out of control

multiple cities are currently facing crises of unaffordable rent and housing due to rich people squatting on overpriced apartments and farming is hugely subsidized by the government for stability and to keep prices low

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Skeleton King posted:

ever make enough money that people will start to use you if they knew? lol... probably not

Yeah so best to just grit ur teeth and let boss gently caress instead of telling scum bags to eat poo poo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Moridin920 posted:

There should be democracy in the work place.

If we can trust people to vote in a retard president we can trust them to vote in a retard boss.

So I agree.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I am on a bus listening to a lady chatting to the driver about how she works 40 hours a week for a restaurant. On a casual contract with no benefits (this is in Australia, where part timers get 4 weeks paid annual leave per year, plus paid sick leave, plus matched retirement contributions, plus pay on public holidays they'd be rostered for, plus mandated minimum hours depending on their contract. Casuals get none of this, but do get an extra $5/h).

But it's fine that she's a casual and gets no benefits even though she's been working for the restaurant for three years, because if they weren't allowed to do that she wouldn't get 40h/week!

Also it's fine that she isn't getting annual leave or sick leave because she can't afford to take any time off work anyway.

She is incredibly cheerful about all of this.

HazCat has issued a correction as of 02:25 on Aug 2, 2018

HazCat
May 4, 2009

gently caress, my first double post :(

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Rich Kids of Instagram --

--, or, where half the value of your labor is going.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Hmm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

What the gently caress happened that took garrison from this to poo poo talking the Cleveland reds?

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Moridin920 posted:

the next one will be rougher than 2007/2008. There's more bubbles all about to pop simultaneously kind of propping each other up a little bit and we have an administration whose response to it all (assuming it happens in the next 2-6 years) will likely be "LOL GET hosed"

lol

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Stexils posted:

multiple cities are currently facing crises of unaffordable rent and housing due to rich people squatting on overpriced apartments and farming is hugely subsidized by the government for stability and to keep prices low

I dont get why the probation?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks burt those images were terrible for my health

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

comedyblissoption posted:

This is what happened to farmers during the great depression. Lots of farmers lost their farms because there was too much food (in spite of propaganda you might have heard about the dust bowl). There was so much food that to bring prices higher, FDR started paying farmers to destroy their livestock and crops. This occurred while food riots and mass hunger permeated the country.

Can you like.....back this up with some sources?

The Agricultural Adjustment Act of 1933 was an abject failure because it favored the land owners of larger agribusiness, not the small time farmers or sharecroppers who worked on larger farms. It's implementation was an attempt to bouey farm prices by paying the farmers to not plant crops. Specifically I'm curious where you get information to assert that there was an excess of basic foodstuffs like corn or wheat.

I would also point out there may have been complications from an earlier New Deal program, the National Recovery Administration who set guidelines of production, prices, and quotas of goods and services. It too was a failure, but that's (insofar as my limited understanding of new deal programs is concerned) was largely due to the fact that the Roosevelt administration allowed industry leaders to set those prices and quotas.

I'm not sure if you're confusing the two, or just spitballing here.

Something tangential and still interesting I found in examining this era is long term effects of the Comittee of Public Information which was created to sell WWI to the populace. The same methodology and techniques were used to promote New Deal programs and we're still feeling the effects of such propaganda today.

Now that we've established this wall of text let me go find some actual .png's of capitalism since this is technically a image thread with way to few images.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

What the gently caress happened that took garrison from this to poo poo talking the Cleveland reds?
ftfy

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agricultural_Adjustment_Act#Goals_and_implementations

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the book cited in the wiki article begins its introduction with the title "The Paradox of Want amid Plenty"
https://books.google.com/books?id=-dyJAwAAQBAJ&lpg=PA111&ots=WU_0AJdoqo&d&pg=PR15#v=onepage&q&f=false

john steinbeck wasn't writing about mountains of oranges being doused in kerosene just because

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Starvation is usually a distribution issue, not a supply issue. Even during the Irish potato famine they had plenty of food, it just wasn't getting to the people who needed it.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Ziv Zulander posted:

Starvation is usually a distribution issue, not a supply issue. Even during the Irish potato famine they had plenty of food, it just wasn't getting to the people who needed it.

Yup, specifically it was being exported to the English markets on the behalf of the English absentee landlords in order to make a profit for those English landlords, since it fetched a better price there.

I'd be curious to know how many of the wealthy in London can have their wealth traced back to the mass starvation of the Irish.

Anyways, here's a picture

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ty

ps everyone should read grapes of wrath it's good as fcuk

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009