Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I like the way they refuel from the generator like they’re animals suckling from their mother’s teat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I love the roar when you build them. It's like they're alive.

gently caress, the sound design in general is p dope.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Trivia posted:

It's like they're alive.

They are alive and they deserve to be acknowledged. In Frostpunk 2: Gettin' Chilly With It, the automaton rights bill will

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I like to think they name themselves :3:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So if going all the way and declaring yourself the ice pope locks down Hope forever, does being Coal Tyrant lock down discontent forever?

Either way, I saved the day. Barely. Had enough food stockpiled, not nearly enough coal, though. Generator almost shut down a few times, I almost exploded it by overclocking it too much. There’s going to be a lot of people with frostbite in the new world.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 2, 2018

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

FAUXTON posted:

I like to think they name themselves :3:

Going Ian M. Banks’ Culture series style, nice

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DarkHorse posted:

Going Ian M. Banks’ Culture series style, nice

:hai: it's a better appropriation than rocket landing barges

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Speedball posted:

So if going all the way and declaring yourself the ice pope locks down Hope forever, does being Coal Tyrant lock down discontent forever?

Either way, I saved the day. Barely. Had enough food stockpiled, not nearly enough coal, though. Generator almost shut down a few times, I almost exploded it by overclocking it too much. There’s going to be a lot of people with frostbite in the new world.

nope, it also locks down hope. it turns the hope bar into a very ominous, black "obedience" bar, and lets you steam political dissidents to death

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I quite like not relying on going far into either tree and just putting down a church/temple or a watch tower or two. It's also not nearly as hard as you might think to do it that way. At the end of the day, you end up needing a bit more food and the Londoners thing is a bit harder but whatever.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That you can choose to go full Orwell / cult if things aren’t going well, but you don’t have to if you optimize the game strategy, speaks well to the devs’ balance. Even if some stuff — cemetery vs open graves — are no brainers.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I like how streets have a pipe running through them. They're not just places to walk, they're piping the steam to the buildings.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
The entire design is rather thermodynamically questionable. Just like having the life giving generator spew out heat into the wasteland through the big hole on the top.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Nosfereefer posted:

The entire design is rather thermodynamically questionable. Just like having the life giving generator spew out heat into the wasteland through the big hole on the top.

That's exhaust for the smoke, because it's a furnace.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, you wouldn't want to breathe that in. Though frankly this world needs MORE global warming.

Huh, the second scenario is "fifty guys and as many automatons as they can build" huh? Challenging because you don't have humans to reinforce you. Automatons may work better than humans but they aren't cheap to make!

Is there a place with renewable steam cores like Tesla City in the first scenario?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Conspiratiorist posted:

That's exhaust for the smoke, because it's a furnace.

There's an absurd amount of heat escaping, just saying.

Speedball posted:

Though frankly this world needs MORE global warming.

Isn't one of the in-game reasonings for the cold (apart from the loving Sun dimming) that the atmosphere is thick with light-blocking junk?

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 2, 2018

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Bogart posted:

They are alive and they deserve to be acknowledged. In Frostpunk 2: Gettin' Chilly With It, the automaton rights bill will

Earlier in the thread someone said they got an event where they executed an automaton for reading subversive literature. I hope that's true.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Nosfereefer posted:

It is extremely inefficient. I always figured since your city is in the middle of a giant hole you’d need a tall generator with smoke out the top to avoid blanketing your entire town in pollution. Otherwise you just end up with Frostpunk: Los Angeles Edition.

quote:

Isn't one of the in-game reasonings for the cold (apart from the loving Sun dimming) that the atmosphere is thick with light-blocking junk?

Do they ever say for sure? I’ve only finished the first scenario and it seemed like nobody knew for certain. I thought at one point someone mentioned it’s related to a comet.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Nosfereefer posted:

Yeah, I was under the assumption that the cooling was stuff in the atmosphere, combined with other environmental issues and the whole spoilered part was just 19th century science being hilariously wrong about everything just like in real life.

If the other stuff is true, then you're only delaying the inevitable and it doesn't matter what kind of society you build out there which just undermines the games enitre premise.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Acute Grill posted:

just 19th century science being hilariously wrong about everything just like in real life.

I still have hope for humanity to escape into the warm safety of the hollow earth. The city is already near the north pole, it should be easy!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I just want the game to be moddable; higher-grade homes should be able to house more people, drat it :colbert: I'd also like technologies and quests that expand the story- I want to send an expedition back to where civilization was and pick up any lucky survivors, I want cities to trade with etc.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I want to know what's going on at the equator.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Brits exterminated everyone Congo-style to finance the reactors.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nosfereefer posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if their explanation was that the steampunk world spewed so much sulfur dioxide into the air from burning lovely coal that it counteracted any GHG emissions from same. It would be relatively sound science, even, as long as you accept that they have been using coal-fired high-altitude airships to actually get the SO2 into the upper atmosphere where it can aerosolize with water vapor/ice crystals and be kept aloft for long periods of time by prevailing winds.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

The initial cold was actually overstated, and the Late Victorian markets had a traditional mega-overreaction. Aided by a naive scientificist faith in the predictions of rather questionable scientists like Tesla, the British Empire as an whole started grinding the world up in a wild frenzy to secure their future. This, not too unlike the (now never happening) Great War, the rest of the Great Powers were similarly drawn into this mad arms race.

The truth is that the Great Winter would soon have passed, if not for the industrial nations of the late 19th century burning the entire globe into ash.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
IIRC, there's a comet that hit, a volcano that's making GBS threads up the atmosphere with dust, a regular old cold snap, and also the drat sun is turning off.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bogart posted:

IIRC, there's a comet that hit, a volcano that's making GBS threads up the atmosphere with dust, a regular old cold snap, and also the drat sun is turning off.

Yeah, this is pretty much what the scenarios laid out- it wasn't any one single thing, just General Winter deciding to turbofuck the world with everything he had at the same time.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Ofaloaf posted:

There's a lot of lore in the loading screen text that never shows up elsewhere in the game. There was an initial scramble toward the equator that led to overcrowding followed by a total collapse.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Basically, those heading down to the lower latitudes didn't do so good, so some groups of survivors - after their situation became unsustainable - decided to head further north in the hopes of finding a more stable climate, and resources to scavenge that'd have been overlooked after the initial cold pushed everyone from those regions south.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It doesn't need to be a scientific reason. It could be some elder god freezing the world by awakening from its slumber.

The Cold Ones.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Speedball posted:

Is there a place with renewable steam cores like Tesla City in the first scenario?

I don't believe you even get outposts in that scenario? Check your tech tree.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Glazius posted:

I don't believe you even get outposts in that scenario? Check your tech tree.

You'll want to get two scouting units ASAP to keep the cores flowing, yeah.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SlothfulCobra posted:

It doesn't need to be a scientific reason. It could be some elder god freezing the world by awakening from its slumber.

The Cold Ones.

Coldthulhu

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Cold Ones.

cracking open a wood surplus via drill device with the cold ones

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hmm. Can unassigned automatons build buildings?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The building workforce is one of the few things I don't quite get. I'd say no, since building usually ever seems to happen 1) during rest hours and 2) magically

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Speedball posted:

Hmm. Can unassigned automatons build buildings?

Yes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bogart posted:

The building workforce is one of the few things I don't quite get. I'd say no, since building usually ever seems to happen 1) during rest hours and 2) magically

The little dudes need to physically walk to the buildings and also cant be busy doing other poo poo, so it only really happens if you have unassigned laborers or it happens during rest hours if you're at full employment.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't think people complain about being forced to build stuff out in the snow, which is good because that'd make a hard game impossible. They only care about working/sleeping in cold. That said I need to figure out how to ramp up coal production better so my dudes don't freeze so much.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, economy is going MUCH better this time around in the Arks.

Last few times I played the Arks, I hit an event where I needed to slow down the automotons or risk them stepping on people and turning them into amputees. I decided "gently caress it" and kept the robots going and OH GOD I had like 20 amputees needing prosthetics. Guess I won't do that next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I wish I could zoom in closer, other than that this game is really sweet.