Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Dahbadu posted:

IMO, here are the low mastery rank guns that can take you into the "end-game" and better versions of them don't exist. i.e. If you like how one of these guns handles, feel free to invest a catalyst and formas into it and turn it into a warcrime.

Primaries:
(...)
Hek - 4

Vaykor Hek would like a word with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Psion posted:

2.7% but don't sell broken war

you can buy War, some sweet accessories, and some other poo poo from hunhow's gift but it's not as good as galatine prime imo so it's not worth sacrificing a really good 1h sword with a slot/potato for an okay 2h

The only difference between War and Galatine P is that War does Impact and Galatine does Slash. Now maybe in a world where mobs survive more than one hit this would matter, but it doesn't because both weapons oneshot drat-near everything and anything that survives won't have enough HP to survive the followup swing so the slash proc doesn't matter.

Also Galatine P is vaulted now, so there's that.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Waybound nodes are passive skill nodes that can be unlocked for use across all the focus trees with 1,000,000 focus and a Brilliant Eidolon Shard, which you get from capturing an Eidolon.

Oh right! Better get cracking on levelling my Rubico then.

Cross-tree abilities would be pretty sweet.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Malek Deneith posted:

vaykor hek is only better than hek in situations that are irrelevant to anyone who isn't in a situation to make the judgment call.

if you can afford to max out a prime mod you aren't looking at that list anyway.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

edit: oops already posted this.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

so, uh, what's the deal with the junction unlock requirements on Mars? Specifically, the scans? I've found and scanned one of the blue glowy things already, so I know what it's asking of me, but is there a better way to find them than just doing random missions until I'm lucky enough to find the scannable poo poo?

all I want is to get to the part of the map that has control modules. :smith:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

dmboogie posted:

so, uh, what's the deal with the junction unlock requirements on Mars? Specifically, the scans? I've found and scanned one of the blue glowy things already, so I know what it's asking of me, but is there a better way to find them than just doing random missions until I'm lucky enough to find the scannable poo poo?

They're in every mission iirc and there are mods like Thief's Wit that make them show up on your map as a blue icon.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Malek Deneith posted:

The Vaykor Hek can't use the Hek's unique 200% multishot mod, and is thus substantially worse unless you have a maxed out Primed Ravage to take advantage of the Vaykor Hek's higher crit.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

dmboogie posted:

From doing this previously and getting annoyed, I would say your best bet is to ask someone in clan chat to help. The Cephelons spawn in almost every map, you just need to find them, not that the game ever tells you that or what they even are. I was pretty lucky poking around for them when some random person noticed and just helped me and a couple of other randoms get them through 3 missions.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

The game tells you where they are if and only if you have loot radar, they'll appear as big blue icons on the mini map.

I remember helping someone out with this and finding that the very first mission on mars, the extermination one right off of earth, sometimes didn't spawn the cephalon fragments. But every other mission seemed to always spawn them. This easily could have been rng or me just missing them but I recall searching through that mission at least twice in a room and not finding out, and then immediately finding them on other missions. So that may or may not be a thing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There's currently debate about if Vaykor Hek or plain old Hek is better. It really seems to be down to what you want from a gun.

Vaykor has better stats (and double the mag size), but only plain Hek has a mod that gives it 200% multishot, so if it has that mod it's damage is absolutely insane, and leagues ahead of Vaykor.

If you just want to minmax damage for a boss cannon, go Hek + Scattered Justice and get a flexible secondary you're happy using 90% of the time. If you want a version with more all round useable stats that will still maul even most elites, go with Vaykor.

Either way, you'll need access to Steel Meridian's rewards, or be able to trade with goons who do.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 2, 2018

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Except that Vaykor Hek also pulls ahead in damage if you have the Primed mods for it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Honest question, what is the appeal of the Hek? I'm using one myself with scattered justice and multishot thanks to kind goons who have given me the items, but in a game that's basically Dynasty Warriors in space, a slow reloading 4-shell magazine shotgun seems nonoptimal? It one shots everything sure, but when there's literally 15-20 mobs in front of me it's not doing much

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it also one-shots things most other guns take 3 clips to kill.

that said, i also don't understand the appeal when kohm exists tbh. :v:

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Honest question, what is the appeal of the Hek? I'm using one myself with scattered justice and multishot thanks to kind goons who have given me the items, but in a game that's basically Dynasty Warriors in space, a slow reloading 4-shell magazine shotgun seems nonoptimal? It one shots everything sure, but when there's literally 15-20 mobs in front of me it's not doing much

there's a mod called seeking fury that increases reload speed and, more importantly in this instance, adds punchthrough to your shotgun, which means suddenly you are killing entire hallways of enemies with a single trigger pull

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

It's a gun that you can get within the first week or so of playing, that heals you, does CC and will carry you right till endgame. It's not the best fantastical gun in the game, but it's a useful tool to have.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a lot of new players start running into a wall where their weapons stop being able to kill stuff while they unlock the starmap. hek solves this problem. it's not the only good gun or even one of the very best, but it is a perfect newbie crutch and is fun as hell to use besides.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Have an Atomos in your other hand for sweeping trash. The Hek will allow you to slaughter foes you otherwise could hardly scratch, but it's not ideal for every task.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

The Lone Badger posted:

Have an Atomos in your other hand for sweeping trash. The Hek will allow you to slaughter foes you otherwise could hardly scratch, but it's not ideal for every task.

Thats what the Lenz is for :black101:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Honest question, what is the appeal of the Hek?
I've found that the best way to approach loadouts is to have one gun that puts out small amounts of damage to a lot of enemies, and one that can put out a lot of damage to a single enemy. That way, you have one gun you switch to when you're faced with a lot of weaker enemies, and one you switch to when you've got a boss / elite.

Hek is a gun you get very early on that excels at the single target / high damage role. If you're trying to use it against hordes of infested, you're going to have a bad time. If you run up behind a boss or junction spectre, gently press Hek against their anus and pull the trigger repeatedly, you'll see the point of the gun very quickly.

As I say, you will need a good secondary that can take out the horde for the rest of the level.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

The Lone Badger posted:

Conveniently enough that's actually what I'm using in my secondary now!

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

The Shortest Path posted:

The Vaykor Hek can't use the Hek's unique 200% multishot mod, and is thus substantially worse unless you have a maxed out Primed Ravage to take advantage of the Vaykor Hek's higher crit.

It doesn't take any primed mods to make the Vaykor Hek better than the regular Hek. The Vaykor Hek is stronger with just regular Ravage and Blunderbuss, iirc, and any fancy pants crit mods beyond that just make the gap wider.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So I went and colored Nezha in D.Va colors, with neon pink energy to match. It works too well. However, it prompted this exchange tonight in a fissure:

"Are you a girl?"
"No."
"Fag."

I guess the floor being cover in neon pink fire for the entire run got to him? It was wonderful. :allears: He was so offended by my fashion sense that he wouldn't even revive me when I inevitably dropped dead.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Conveniently enough that's actually what I'm using in my secondary now!

Hek / Atomos / Guandao is an excellent low-MR setup in my opinion. It lacks range, but how often is that actually relevant?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Gonkish posted:

So I went and colored Nezha in D.Va colors, with neon pink energy to match. It works too well. However, it prompted this exchange tonight in a fissure:

"Are you a girl?"
"No."
"Fag."

I guess the floor being cover in neon pink fire for the entire run got to him? It was wonderful. :allears: He was so offended by my fashion sense that he wouldn't even revive me when I inevitably dropped dead.

There's an energy color that -isn't- eye searing neon pink from the Valentine palette? Huh.

Alternatively, if you haven't made a pubbie rage quit a match because of your fashionframe you need to learn how to up your game

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I had a pubbie complain that I was hurting their eyes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Did Umbra quest.

Want more quests.

Gimme the quests.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

The Lone Badger posted:

alecm
Aug 20, 2004

Lorraine, I'm your density. I mean . . . your destiny.

The Lone Badger posted:

Hek / Atomos / Guandao is an excellent low-MR setup in my opinion. It lacks range, but how often is that actually relevant?

I just did my MR 8 test with the Atomos equipped. This test has you shoot a target to make a platform appear, and seemingly locks you to your secondary weapon. I didn’t have enough range to reach the first target... :(

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Lone Badger posted:

My Volt is neon yellow and green for this exact reason.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

alecm posted:

I just did my MR 8 test with the Atomos equipped. This test has you shoot a target to make a platform appear, and seemingly locks you to your secondary weapon. I didn’t have enough range to reach the first target... :(

Remember that you can practice run the Mastery tests in the room Simaris hangs out in on the relays.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

My Volt is neon yellow and green for this exact reason.

Choose hydroid, select neon green energy colour, spam 1 everywhere :v:

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

FunkyFjord posted:

The game tells you where they are if and only if you have loot radar, they'll appear as big blue icons on the mini map.

I remember helping someone out with this and finding that the very first mission on mars, the extermination one right off of earth, sometimes didn't spawn the cephalon fragments. But every other mission seemed to always spawn them. This easily could have been rng or me just missing them but I recall searching through that mission at least twice in a room and not finding out, and then immediately finding them on other missions. So that may or may not be a thing.

It might have been spawning a somachord fragment instead. The game randomly chooses which to spawn in a mission and you can’t have both show up. Also visible via loot radar, shows up as a purple fragmented arc. Earns you background music in your orbiter when you unlock the personal room.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
is hydroid any good as a generalist frame or is it only good for farming with the mod that shakes extra coins out of enemies pockets?

I like the looks of it but farming relics to crack for the final bit is getting boring

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
When I glanced over the timg thumbnail I at first thought that something had gone horribly wrongright with a kubrow

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I kind of want to figure out an eyesearing hideous scheme for Gara. I mean, she already blinds enemies on sight, may as well try to afflict allies as well!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Martout posted:

is hydroid any good as a generalist frame or is it only good for farming with the mod that shakes extra coins out of enemies pockets?

I like the looks of it but farming relics to crack for the final bit is getting boring

It’s a solid frame that excels in static missions like Defences and Interceptions. Lot of very powerful area-denial, and a pleasingly active, aggressive way of delivering it.

It’s not a great boss-hunter, but a gun that deals powerful single-target damage will help with that.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Did Umbra quest.

Want more quests.

Gimme the quests.
I just hit MR23 on the PS4 but I've started again from scratch on PC. Looking forward to completing them all again.

Well, most of them.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheAgent posted:

I just hit MR23 on the PS4 but I've started again from scratch on PC. Looking forward to completing them all again.

Well, most of them.

The Star Citizen Goons should really get together and show these PC grunts a REAL team!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

White energy color on a Limbo.
Throw down a Catalyst and burn out everyone's eyeballs with excessive bloom.