Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Looks like they pulled S2 off Hulu, I wonder if it'll end up on Netflix like 1 did.

Just saw an article saying that Netflix will have Season 2 available August 28.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The SDCC panel in full, MEJ moderating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOxSZ9CiNvA

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, heads up, the podcast is going to twice a week so it's caught up by the time the new season hits.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

And this week's episode with Jen Statsky and Sabine Wren Tiya Sircar was real good too. I can't even imagine the show with Sircar playing Tahani.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

howe_sam posted:

Sabine Wren Tiya Sircar was real good too.

Oh poo poo!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Wired wrote a nice article about the podcast!

https://www.wired.com/story/the-good-place-podcast/

I had no idea that Jackson used to be on NPR, but it totally follows. After all, he's.. from Earth.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I was unfamiliar with Marc Evan Jackson before TGP, what other show(s) has he shined in?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

double nine posted:

I was unfamiliar with Marc Evan Jackson before TGP, what other show(s) has he shined in?

Unsurprisingly he's had recurring roles on Schur's other shows: the lawyer for basically every awful rich person in Pawnee in Parks and Capt. Holt's husband Kevin in B99

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I know he’s appeared on the Thrilling Adventure Hour podcast for a long time, but I’ve not listened for that.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

double nine posted:

He shines a bit less when you realise he's got the one role and Mike Schur just deploys him to play it with the same notes all the time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sure, if you want to put a pessimistic spin on it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

double nine posted:

The_Doctor posted:

I know he’s appeared on the Thrilling Adventure Hour podcast for a long time, but I’ve not listened for that.

The Thrilling Adventure Hour is one of the best things one can put in their ear holes.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

PriorMarcus posted:

He shines a bit less when you realise he's got the one role and Mike Schur just deploys him to play it with the same notes all the time.

Chris Pratt does the same and we all love him.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Disappointed they didn't explain what they have against the RHCP.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

PriorMarcus posted:

He definitely plays a type. If you get a chance to see him do improv, though, you can see more range. He’s a terrific performer.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

BizarroAzrael posted:

Disappointed they didn't explain what they have against the RHCP.

Isn't it self-evident?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

i am the bird posted:

He definitely plays a type. If you get a chance to see him do improv, though, you can see more range. He’s a terrific performer.

If you get the chance to see him do improv, you absolutely have to take it. One of the funniest things I've ever seen.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

He created a free improv program with his wife for Detroit public schools, and that's amazing, honestly. :unsmith:

http://detroitcreativityproject.org/marc-evan-jackson-co-founder-dcp/

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

He created a free improv program with his wife for Detroit public schools, and that's amazing, honestly. :unsmith:

This is how I saw him (and Keegan Michael Key!). He's also usually heavily involved in the Detroit Improv Festival, which has been featuring Paul F. Tompkins (who needs to be on this show) and other Comedy Bang Bang! favorites.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Jameela Jamil rules

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

She was on the cover of the Guardian magazine too, and on seeing it my first thought was ‘oh yes, Tahani’, like that was perfectly expected. I mean she’s always appearing on magazine covers like her best friends Barry and Michelle.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The_Doctor posted:

Improv is very good for health. It was actually created as a mental health tool and it should really be pushed more in schools.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I took an improv class in college and it was great fun, and a real confidence booster.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

i am the bird posted:

This is how I saw him (and Keegan Michael Key!). He's also usually heavily involved in the Detroit Improv Festival, which has been featuring Paul F. Tompkins (who needs to be on every show) and other Comedy Bang Bang! favorites.

Fixed.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I'll allow it.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

Improv is very good for health. It was actually created as a mental health tool and it should really be pushed more in schools.

Good for the mental health of the people in it.

Bad for the mental health of any poor motherfucker stuck watching it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

i am the bird posted:

Paul F. Tompkins (who needs to be on this show)

What, in a crossover episode?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

What, in a crossover episode?

The Good Place Season 2: Hot diggity dog because he is a dog do you get it make it the thread title also I have a groupon

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm GoodPlaceFanAnthony and it's my 32nd birthday!
*every comedian from every sitcom and podcast come in with everything for a HUGE party*

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Disgusting Coward posted:

Bad for the mental health of any poor motherfucker stuck watching it.

not all improv is the group you were forced to see in college that one time because your friend was in it and you felt obligated to see it but you didn't even found him funny despite the fact everyone told him he was funny so of course you are not going to find him especially funny in improv

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Improv isn't just about comedy.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

CelestialScribe posted:

Improv isn't just about comedy.

I forget the Del Close quote, but it's something like, 'Improv isn't about being funny. It may be very funny, but that's not why it's done'.

I'm butchering it to hell, but the sentiment is that, yeah, really good improv can be exceptionally funny, but the mental training is more about 'finding the truth of the scene' rather than 'go for the joke.' At least in the Del Close/UCB philosophy.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Whose line is it anyway is (was?) very funny. My ancient history teacher in High School used to play us an episode every friday after we ran out of episodes of I Claudius to watch.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Improv rules if you are seeing talented people. The hardest I've ever laughed were all at great improv shows. And not all have to be jokes non stop, seen some great serious long form stuff.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Paul F. Tompkin's improv podcast Spontaneanation is usually really good.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

The Lord Bude posted:

Whose line is it anyway is (was?) very funny. My ancient history teacher in High School used to play us an episode every friday after we ran out of episodes of I Claudius to watch.
The original UK whose line is pretty funny.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
PFT, Janet Varney and some others are coming to Detroit in a week to do two shows as part of the Detroit Improv festival. Tickets were pretty cheap too, like $30 per person. I wussed out on going since I'm super broke and my car's not all that reliable to drive an hour to the Magic Bag, but I'm sure good times will be had by all.

I'd love to see PFT or any Comedy Bang Bang regulars beyond Jason show up on The Good Place, they're all so drat good at guest starring.

I'll second that Spontaneanation is really good. Some episodes are inevitably far better than others, but there's lots of them out there to dig in to. It's sadly ending at 200 episodes (podcasts?) though. A few early gems worth checking out are the Atlanta, Georgia episode and one where they go to the garden of eden. You'd need a stitcher premium (or maybe howl.fm) subscription to go all the way back into the archives though.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

NowonSA posted:

PFT, Janet Varney and some others are coming to Detroit in a week to do two shows as part of the Detroit Improv festival. Tickets were pretty cheap too, like $30 per person. I wussed out on going since I'm super broke and my car's not all that reliable to drive an hour to the Magic Bag, but I'm sure good times will be had by all.

If you find a reliable ride, I would buy you a ticket. I don’t get super starry-eyed over anyone but seeing PFT perform live was a real treat and everyone should enjoy it, imo.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Sadly I don't really have a ride there, my car's going to be used by my housemate to go to work then on top of its status as a jalopy. I would have sworn it was happening on Thursday, when work wouldn't be an issue, but I guess it's on Friday where it very much is. I have to figure he'll swing by for the detroit improv fest. again down the line, maybe I'll be able to set up something then.

In the meantime I'm in no position to turn down charity of any kind, but "see PFT live" is a lot sexier of a proposition than "help fix plumbing issues in the broken down house I'm staying in" or other regular life stuff, but if you want to contribute to that fine cause I'd be all for it. Thanks for the offer anyway, it was greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The swear filter on the podcast is oddly inconsistent, Marc repeatedly gets to declare himself "a naughty bitch"(understandable as it's one of the best uses of his voice ever) but they censored "Dress BENCH".

I want them to discuss how they always make Janet appear with a simple, obvious jump cut. I still find it funny now.

• Locked thread