Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I felt hamstrung with alf trying to do his chapter and level him up. Then I swapped him out for others and holy poo poo do I miss his breaking ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Halfway through the chapter 3s. Olberic is in his low 40s and everyone else is early to mid 30s, with H'aant bringing up the rear at 29. I'm sure they'll catch up due to exp scaling, but the chapter 4s might be a rough start. I've barely done any extra exploring though, so that should at least bump a few people to speed (especially Therion since there seems to be purple chests everywhere so I might as well bring him).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah Therion is annoyingly the best character to start with since every dungeon has a purple chest.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

Yeah Therion is annoyingly the best character to start with since every dungeon has a purple chest.

He owns. Everything. Stuck him with warrior and he has divine attack all and divine attack single with limit break by start of chapter 3s.

Add being an sp battery for team. Hes great utility in every fight.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m thinking about restarting also and not sure if I want to choose Olberic or Therion

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Empress Brosephine posted:

I’m thinking about restarting also and not sure if I want to choose Olberic or Therion

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mechanically Therion is better. Earlier. Which is what you want in a main.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm glad I started with Therion because if he wasn't the main character I'd have a hard time swapping him out anyway. Might be the only character where his entire skillset is useful being an SP battery, HP sustain, attack/defense debuffs for enemies

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Get out of here Alphinaud

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's generally grouped by quest area. The 2nd-3rd quest towns are around level 20-35. Goes up to 45 when you get close to 4th quest towns.

Exp doesn't reflect the area either necessarily. The area right outside Marsalim has fights that were giving me noticeably more xp than the nearby dungeon that was higher level.

Barudak posted:

Its super annoying because it bypasses apothecaries ability which is supposed to confer immunity to debuffs!

Whatever Ill come back for you later starseer

The Starseer skills is also a dispel, not just a debuff. So it dispels your immunity (and anything else) then applies its own debuff. :eng101:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

The Starseer skills is also a dispel, not just a debuff. So it dispels your immunity (and anything else) then applies its own debuff. :eng101:

Any items that resist this or is it literally just “have two clerics and two dancers”?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Barudak posted:

Any items that resist this or is it literally just “have two clerics and two dancers”?

I got around it by just giving everyone the cleric over heal passive, but I saw other people say they just let the debuffed guy die then rez and rebuff them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

I got around it by just giving everyone the cleric over heal passive, but I saw other people say they just let the debuffed guy die then rez and rebuff them.

The only one she targets the debuff on is my cleric so thats why im wiping.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Barudak posted:

Is there anything that resists Starseersn “gently caress your buffs” move? I assume the solution is run a double dancer double cleric party but id rather just negate that one trick.

That move only hits one person, right? If you're doing the reflect trick, just let that person die, revive them, and they reset to having no debuff.

Sorcerer is the tricky one, he has the same thing but it hits the whole party.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

qbert posted:

That move only hits one person, right? If you're doing the reflect trick, just let that person die, revive them, and they reset to having no debuff.

Sorcerer is the tricky one, he has the same thing but it hits the whole party.

Yeah, but whats happening is she goes; debuff cleric, cast 4-hit party wide attack so I have no more reflects, repeat till dead. The one time I got the cleric back up and casting in time to protect against the party wide attack before I run out of reflects, she debuffed them again and killed them again.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Barudak posted:

Yeah, but whats happening is she goes; debuff cleric, cast 4-hit party wide attack so I have no more reflects, repeat till dead. The one time I got the cleric back up and casting in time to protect against the party wide attack before I run out of reflects, she debuffed them again and killed them again.

Yeah that's bad luck.

How I mitigated it was have everyone in the party with the Saving Grace passive, T1 or T2 fully boosted Heal More from the Cleric, everyone is instantly at 7500+ HP and can withstand any of those magic attacks easily. If someone died, use a L revive item to bring them back at 9999.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Barudak posted:

Theres no suboptimal. You get no different rewards, nobody judges you, you just get slightly different text and a note in your journal.

i don't think you "get" ocd

that slightly different text means everything

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yinlock posted:

i don't think you "get" ocd

that slightly different text means everything

If nothing is better how can you be OCD about getting a specific outcome.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Olberic is an unstoppable death-beast who just smashes everything from minute 1

Therion's good in battle but his real value lies in his path action which massively benefits from him being overleveled, and almost every dungeon past Chapter 1 has a purple chest or two for him too

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

If nothing is better how can you be OCD about getting a specific outcome.

because narratively I like the other path better

seriously I tried to ignore it because, objectively, it's just a minor sidequest that doesn't matter at all to anyone or even me but it just sticks to my mind like a fuckin leech as i play

ocd loving suckssssss

e: "suboptimally" was probably a poor word choice though, please ignore my literal mental illness and continue talking about this extremely good video game

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 2, 2018

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I finished my first chapter 4 :toot: Ophelia's, and it was good

I like how chapter 2 set it up to seem like it would be a jolly voyage of helpings kid with their problems, but then it takes a turn later on. Just disappointed that she's able to blast Mattias into the sun, but a group of random villagers are able to lock her up somehow. Maybe they should have been the real final boss.. Oh well.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So in the journal, the more of a characters main quest you do, the more their banner unfolds, becoming complete when a characters story is done.

The problem is that the side quests do the same thing, but based on region, and none of the banners unfold fully when all sidequests are done, and none of them are the same length when all sidequests are done as well.

It got me running around for a bit ingame before I thought that maybe there will be free updates that add sidequests.

Its really loving frustrating to see though.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Pharohman777 posted:

So in the journal, the more of a characters main quest you do, the more their banner unfolds, becoming complete when a characters story is done.

The problem is that the side quests do the same thing, but based on region, and none of the banners unfold fully when all sidequests are done, and none of them are the same length when all sidequests are done as well.

It got me running around for a bit ingame before I thought that maybe there will be free updates that add sidequests.

Its really loving frustrating to see though.

Oh wow I never noticed that. There's just so much to this game. :allears:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I printed out the side quest spread sheet and just cross them off. Easier for my old eyes.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Hrm.

I'm going to be nowhere near the required level for the postgame dungeon am I?

Curse my decision to always have reduced encounters on.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

Hrm.

I'm going to be nowhere near the required level for the postgame dungeon am I?

Curse my decision to always have reduced encounters on.

One XP x 100 bewildering dance and youll be endgame ready

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

One XP x 100 bewildering dance and youll be endgame ready

Well. 2 for everyone. And preferably with a cait

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I have about two chapter 4's left, and Cyrus is nearing level 70. Even Tressa retired after her chapter 4, but he just clears mobs too well.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is bewildering dance ever worth using? All I got are poo poo ones

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

EXP/JP x100 only appears if you're using full boost, and even then only at a .1% chance

So yes, because grinding is more fun if you pretend you have a chance to get the x100

Barudak
May 7, 2007

100% You have surprisingly good odds to get JP or XP times 5 and the only really dangerous things you can do to yourself are extremely rare and still usually survivable. If youre grinding at all theres not to use it.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Objectively speaking, no, you'll earn your EXP and JP faster on average if you don't ever use it. But if the rush of praying for the 0.1% rolls to hit makes the grinding more entertaining for you, go for it. It's your game.

You also don't need to grind during the main game, unless you count dipping into a couple of the side dungeons whenever you're behind the recommended level for the next chapters as grinding.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I did a bit of JP grinding to get ready for the Runeblade boss fight.

Other than that, yeah, I haven't needed to grind in the main game.

But I'm not done yet.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I tried to go fight an advanced job. But the dungeon seemed like I wasnt leveled enough to even be in it

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

What?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Halfway through the chapter 3s. Olberic is in his low 40s and everyone else is early to mid 30s, with H'aant bringing up the rear at 29. I'm sure they'll catch up due to exp scaling, but the chapter 4s might be a rough start. I've barely done any extra exploring though, so that should at least bump a few people to speed (especially Therion since there seems to be purple chests everywhere so I might as well bring him).
I found the dungeon for Cyrus' Chapter 3 to be a pretty good grinding spot. I got everyone up to level 40 there while my Olberic and Cyrus are 50+

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

My H'annit was far too low level for her Chapter 2, so I took her along to Alfyn's Chapter 3, which I was only slightly too low level for, not counting H'annit.

Big mistake.

That's my grinding story.

chlorophylls
May 8, 2013

I'm gonna kill you.

I took that to mean Darius was referring to himself as a common, ordinary person in comparison to Therion (i.e. Tom, Dick, and Harry) every time he hung out with the latter. He feels inferior/like a completely ordinary, unskilled man to Therion in terms of thieving skill, which probably only gave him even more reason to do what he did.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bombadilillo posted:

I tried to go fight an advanced job. But the dungeon seemed like I wasnt leveled enough to even be in it

Evasive Manuevers, Evil Ward and the "no surprise attacks" passives. Ignore random encounters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I didn't think Alfyn's chapter 2 would be good but holy poo poo the antagonist is Martin Shkreli.