Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
The delayed notifications don't happen on the Note 8, but I'm guessing it's at the expense of battery life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I have and they are still delayed. Exempting from optimizations does nothing as far as I can tell.

Same, though I only really notice Gmail being delayed, and have only gone out of my way to exempt it from battery optimization. Absolutely no effect that I can see.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_5zZnuB71w

https://twitter.com/ArtemR/status/1024367645892591616

Apparently MKBHD and Artem (from Android Police) are having jank and slow down issues on their Pixel 2 XLs thanks to the 4GB of RAM.

They both compare the phone to the newest One Plus saying that, despite a worse camera (and screen, oddly enough), the OnePlus is much faster probably due to the 8GB of RAM. The P2XL kicks apps out of memory a lot and apps are just slower overall (something that MKBHD showed in the video).

Artem is upset that the P3 and P3XL both will supposedly have 4GB of RAM and have this exact same problem. He also states that using the clear all app in Recent Apps actually helps with the slowdown while MKBHD bought another P2XL just to see if it was using the P Beta that caused it and no, both the P Beta P2XL and the non-beta XL are both slow due to the RAM.

Looks like Google needs to use more RAM in their phones...and probably in their Pixelbooks considering Chrome will be using more RAM thanks to the optimizations they're doing.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
But I was told the large amount of RAM in the OnePlus was pointless and just there to have a big number on the spec sheet???

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm having absolutely no lag on my 2XL and I have no idea what those turbonerds are doing to their phones :shrug:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, mine is working pretty much the same as it did when I pulled it out of the box and I can't say I've ever noticed apps being kicked out of memory. So, I have no idea what's going on with theirs.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I got a Pixel 2 but I have noticed apps getting kicked out of memory pretty often, thankfully start up times are pretty short so it's not a huge issue but probably something that should not be happening on a top tier flagship.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Honestly it's almost like they've done too much sometimes. If I leave my phone on my desk at work, it turns into a stone with significantly delayed notifications for pretty much everything. Of course I get most of those things on the computer in front of me but it does make it obvious just how much power saving is going on when notifications are getting delayed by two hours.

I don't have this issue. Of course, like you (and probably most people in this thread) I sit in front of a computer and get most of my notifications there, and I find that consistently that my phone vibrates at the same time, or often a few seconds before I see it on my computer. Mostly email/telegram.

The power limitations that have been put on android should have little or no effect on push notifications, and I'm very happy to see more restrictions on power usage in the OS with every update.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

At work I use Hangouts a ton and Hangouts is exempted from battery optimization. Eventually the phone just stops notifying for new messages and I suspect stops even listening for them, as if I'm fast enough I can catch Hangouts in an unsynced state.

Another thing that stops working due to Doze is Light Flow. It never used to be unreliable but ever since Oreo it stops working any time the phone idles. I guess when I get a Pixel 3 with its always-on screen it will be time to retire it but as it is now it's simply unusable. (I have a feeling the developer isn't that interested in it either as I can't remember the last time there was a significant update for it.)

I've thought about maybe something being wrong just on my device but it also hasn't annoyed me anywhere near enough to gently caress with it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Does lightflow do anything other than customize the notification LED?

I don't remember the last phone I had with a notification LED but it has been a long-rear end time and I've never liked them all that much to begin with so I've never really gotten into lightflow.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Does lightflow do anything other than customize the notification LED?

I don't remember the last phone I had with a notification LED but it has been a long-rear end time and I've never liked them all that much to begin with so I've never really gotten into lightflow.

It does but that's the only thing I use it for.

It can pretty much replace the inbuilt system for notifications for sounds, LED colors, and vibrations based on anything from existing notification channels to using keywords (or contact names) to just simply a blanket trigger for a particular app to use any combination of colors, vibration patterns, or special sounds for each. Like I said, all I use it for is to give certain apps certain colors but you could easily do things like have a particular sound follow a particular contact across apps or manage DND hours automatically or change everything to be vibration-based if you wanted. The only limit is your autism.

This all assumes, of course, that it doesn't die in the background even with a persistent app icon in the tray and exclusion from optimization.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I literally do not belive those people are having issues because of RAM.

Or, rather, if they are, it's because of a bug, not some fundamental need for a phone to have more than 4GB.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Or, rather, if they are, it's because of a bug, not some fundamental need for a phone to have more than 4GB.

His video did show it with a small but noticeable speed difference when switching between apps in memory, and a much deeper pool of available apps available before the much slower reload. You'd expect both behaviours on a device with lower available memory.
The note 8 also shows great performance on 6Gb.

I don't think it's particularly bad on a device a year old, but hopefully at least one Pixel 3 has 6Gb+

I do also wonder if they're doing any form of software diagnostic if they're both claiming it slows over time. Cleared cache? A full reset?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Thermopyle posted:

My old phone with 3GB would kick stuff out of memory all the time, my new phone with 6GB is buttery smooth and hasn't dropped anything at all. App switch screen shows memory usage averaging between high 3GB to low 4GB and that's with 4-5 actively used apps and a handful of infrequent ones, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to start pushing 5GB with some heftier apps.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

LastInLine posted:

Honestly it's almost like they've done too much sometimes. If I leave my phone on my desk at work, it turns into a stone with significantly delayed notifications for pretty much everything. Of course I get most of those things on the computer in front of me but it does make it obvious just how much power saving is going on when notifications are getting delayed by two hours.
This is my problem with it. My battery lasts all day because it's a brick instead of a phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Khablam posted:

His video did show it with a small but noticeable speed difference when switching between apps

Oneplus 6 has SD845, Pixel 2 has 835. Of course the 845 phone is faster.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

My Pixel 2xl has been having strange lag lately, since the June security patch at least.

It's probably something I installed around then, but its not bad enough for me to bother yet.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I can't imagine it has anything to do with the ram. My oneplus 3T has 6gb and I have never once seen memory usage over 60%, even with the most recent Oreo update.

If I had to guess it's probably some sort of software bug. I guess you can't really take the nexus out of the pixel :/

Also as a Oneplus owner I think that these videos are just hidden ads for Oneplus and I wouldn't be shocked if they were secretly getting money from the company especially considering all of the youtubers that got preview versions of the device and the number of videos that were put out when it launched.

I don't think any of the youtube personalities have ever discussed the legendary Oneplus fuckups and their talking points sound like an ad - just saying.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

isndl posted:

My old phone with 3GB would kick stuff out of memory all the time, my new phone with 6GB is buttery smooth and hasn't dropped anything at all. App switch screen shows memory usage averaging between high 3GB to low 4GB and that's with 4-5 actively used apps and a handful of infrequent ones, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to start pushing 5GB with some heftier apps.

I very rarely have ever noticed anything kicked out of ram on my OG pixel xl.

Which makes me even more likely to consider it some sort of bug that more RAM masks.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

I very rarely have ever noticed anything kicked out of ram on my OG pixel xl.

Which makes me even more likely to consider it some sort of bug that more RAM masks.

Are you trying to say the average Android user doesn't have 16 different draw-over helper apps, floating chat bubbles, tasker profiles, geofencing rules, alerts, messengers, auto-sync tools, and more?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

Also as a Oneplus owner I think that these videos are just hidden ads for Oneplus and I wouldn't be shocked if they were secretly getting money from the company especially considering all of the youtubers that got preview versions of the device and the number of videos that were put out when it launched.

I completely agree and would bet that mkbhd and others are getting kickbacks from OnePlus. His videos have gotten a lot more clickbaity and lower quality too lately.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's looking like Aug 20th will be the release of P. No real surprise there since it was similar timing for O.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Can someone explain or link me anything on ram management in Windows vs Android etc. This discussion has me curious because I've used some incredibly low end PCs with 2gb ram and it seems like a 4gb Android phone shouldn't have issues

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

CLAM DOWN posted:

I completely agree and would bet that mkbhd and others are getting kickbacks from OnePlus. His videos have gotten a lot more clickbaity and lower quality too lately.

Yeah sadly :/ I feel like that always happens when you get to a certain level of success with this sort of thing.

The Oneplus marketing team has always been very aggressive and "social media/internet focused". I like the 3T but I've always thought that the Oneplus marketing gimmicks were annoying.

Remember when they required you to have an invite to buy their phone?

Remember when they made it so if you were a female you didn't have to wait in line to buy their phone?

Remember when they didn't have a support staff so instead they made a forum specifically for discussing/resolving issues with the devices?

Remember when they bragged about their device being $300 when other devices were $600.

Remember earlier this year when they released a $600 phone with giant security holes that everyone seemed to forget after 12 hours.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Honest question. Why isn't more RAM a good thing? For a flagship phone, it shouldn't be "we can scrape by another year with 4GB".

I'm sure the Pixel team is optimizing the OS but many of the app developers likely aren't dedicating the same effort to optimizations.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 2, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

Yeah sadly :/ I feel like that always happens when you get to a certain level of success with this sort of thing.

The Oneplus marketing team has always been very aggressive and "social media/internet focused". I like the 3T but I've always thought that the Oneplus marketing gimmicks were annoying.

Remember when they required you to have an invite to buy their phone?

Remember when they made it so if you were a female you didn't have to wait in line to buy their phone?

Remember when they didn't have a support staff so instead they made a forum specifically for discussing/resolving issues with the devices?

Remember when they bragged about their device being $300 when other devices were $600.

Remember earlier this year when they released a $600 phone with giant security holes that everyone seemed to forget after 12 hours.

Not even everyone in this thread remembers given some of the...posts in the past :(

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Yossarian posted:

Can someone explain or link me anything on ram management in Windows vs Android etc. This discussion has me curious because I've used some incredibly low end PCs with 2gb ram and it seems like a 4gb Android phone shouldn't have issues

Android is based on java and java is extremely bad about memory

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Hughmoris posted:

Honest question. Why isn't more RAM a good thing? For a flagship phone, it shouldn't be "we can scrape by another year with 4GB".

If you put in more than you need or can use, you're just wasting money. Cut the cost of the device or enhance other features instead.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

I'm sure the Pixel team is optimizing the OS but many of the app developers likely aren't dedicating the same effort to optimizations.

More ram = more battery usage.

But that's a nebulous concept that no one talks about but putting bigger numbers on a spec sheet is a concrete thing that people can compare and say more is better.

Of course, you don't want too little ram either.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

Important to remember that at this juncture, all phones are garbage.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
my 2XL is slow as poo poo and I had to add the task manager "kill all apps" shortcut to my homescreen because it honestly fixes the problem temporarily

highly disappointed since I got it with the expectation that it would stay fast. that said lol at ever buying a oneplus

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

logikv9 posted:

my 2XL is slow as poo poo and I had to add the task manager "kill all apps" shortcut to my homescreen because it honestly fixes the problem temporarily

highly disappointed since I got it with the expectation that it would stay fast. that said lol at ever buying a oneplus

Seriously, what are you running on your phone? Are you comfortable sharing all your installed apps? That is not normal behaviour, and if you're truly not doing anything hosed up and it persists across a factory reset that's worthy of an RMA.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
I daily a pixel 2xl for work plus my chinese botnet p20 and I can honestly say the 2xl on P is still the fastest device I've ever used, including a OnePlus 6 and S8+.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nerdrum posted:

I daily a pixel 2xl for work plus my chinese botnet p20 and I can honestly say the 2xl on P is still the fastest device I've ever used, including a OnePlus 6 and S8+.

I go through a new phone like every 6 months and my 2XL on the P DP5 is the fastest and smoothest phone I've ever used, it's really quite amazing.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My P2 isn't very fast either, now mind you I've been using P beta for the last 6 weeks or so but it wasn't fast before that either. Way too loving often does it poo poo the bed and take a few seconds before I can do anything when I try to unlock. Isn't that poo poo only sposed to be on the XL? And even in mid use its just stuttery sometimes. I switched to Messenger Lite because I think that was some of my problem but I shouldn't have to do anything like that on a premium phone, thats sposed to be the "pure" android, which I dunno why I even put faith in seeing Android will never be more than a buggy mess anyway. This is my problem. If I spend, hell, $700 on a laptop with proper specs, I know its not gonna blink for poo poo with a full desktop OS. $1000 phone for looking at social media and music? Cant be depended on half the time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

My P2 isn't very fast either, now mind you I've been using P beta for the last 6 weeks or so but it wasn't fast before that either. Way too loving often does it poo poo the bed and take a few seconds before I can do anything when I try to unlock. Isn't that poo poo only sposed to be on the XL? And even in mid use its just stuttery sometimes. I switched to Messenger Lite because I think that was some of my problem but I shouldn't have to do anything like that on a premium phone, thats sposed to be the "pure" android, which I dunno why I even put faith in seeing Android will never be more than a buggy mess anyway. This is my problem. If I spend, hell, $700 on a laptop with proper specs, I know its not gonna blink for poo poo with a full desktop OS. $1000 phone for looking at social media and music? Cant be depended on half the time.

honestly what the gently caress are you people doing to your phones, I give up

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

CLAM DOWN posted:

I need to have fornite and pub g running in the background while I stream lossless anime

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

elmer chud posted:

Android is based on java and java is extremely bad about memory

codo27 posted:

Important to remember that at this juncture, all phones are garbage.

All fair points thanks lol

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

CLAM DOWN posted:

Seriously, what are you running on your phone? Are you comfortable sharing all your installed apps? That is not normal behaviour, and if you're truly not doing anything hosed up and it persists across a factory reset that's worthy of an RMA.

On a daily basis I use maps, Snapchat, WhatsApp, messages, facebook, Samsung internet browser, and awful app the most.

I've already uninstalled most of my less used apps and I already have given up doing things like playing pokego on the phone because it gets kicked out of memory all the time. I also switched from Nova to stock launcher because I thought it would help reduce overhead.

I do think something in my phone is wonky (mainly BT which doesn't connect to a lot of things for no reason) but i was too lazy to RMA. I'll do a full reset when P comes out and I'll see how that goes