Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
What're the best non-smart tvs around these days? Kind of skeeved off buying a smart one after reading this: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/05/business/media/tv-viewer-tracking.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

There isn't any.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

mila kunis posted:

What're the best non-smart tvs around these days? Kind of skeeved off buying a smart one after reading this: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/05/business/media/tv-viewer-tracking.html
That type of stuff shouldn't bother you at all and if it does I got some bad news about the internet.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Just don't connect the TV to Wi-Fi/Internet if you're worried about all that.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Yo, I think I'm going to get a 43" tv (the 49" tv would be hilariously oversized in our 500' apt). Anyways, I can't decide between the Sony x800e and the x720e? Any reason I should pay ~$150 more for the former over the latter. I like to watch a lot of dark (color) movies and play lots of fast action video games, if it matters.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

mila kunis posted:

Unplug it from the internet.

You are not paying more for smart tv functionally, hell you are probably paying less because i guarantee the manufacturer gets a kickback from amazon and netflix.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Engadget claims the Z9F doesn't suffer from off-axis color and contrast shift. That's impressive if true.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The thread title should read something to the effect of "All good TVs are smart TVs now. Next question".

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

angryrobots posted:

The thread title should read something to the effect of "All good TVs are smart TVs now. Next question".
Also "If you want something that's not 4K and less than 55" then just get whatever it doesn't matter".

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Put something about rtings.com and we can call it a wrap.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GreenNight posted:

So my girlfriend dad is disabled and we want to get him a new TV that has good voice controls or can be controlled via a Google Home device. Simple stuff like turn tv on, turn up volume, change channel to 17, etc. Any recommendations? The TCL does voice control if you hold a button on the remote down but that's not good enough.

Ok so I hooked up the Fire TV Cube last night and it works pretty great. You can full operate your TV, even turning on from the off state, change channels, switch to FireTV and back to cable... all with voice. You can control volume increments for the volume command... things like that.

Would recommend.

Biggest challenge, for me with my godmother and ALS at least, is that it's placement has to be by the TV. Seems obvious but then you have to take into account voice projection and room size.

Good news is that, unlike my old Echo + Harmony combo, when you request something, it mutes the TV temporarily so it can hear you. Since you're inevitably placing it by TV speakers/Soundbars this is nice.

You also, at the moment at least, cannot link a dot to it to relay the command (so I can't put a dot by my godmother's bed just in case the cube can't hear her from a distance for whatever reason).

You also cannot make Alexa Calls from it at the moment either (probably not a big deal for you but is hindering the functionality I currently want).

But for just straight TV voice control... it's very nice.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Perfect! Thank you very much.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Oh also make sure that if you have any other rigged together systems (for instance my harmony and older dot) that you unlink all of those commands. That includes uninstalling the Alexa Skill AND making sure you remove the "scenes" or whatever.

My old Harmony commands were generic like "turn on the tv" etc and the Fire TV cube was trying to give seniority to that command instead of it's own and it got confused. Once I completely removed all traces of the Harmony from the Alexa app, it worked fine.

But if you have no current system at all in place, it should work fine from the get go.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

She has a Google Home but it's not hooked up to anything except the internet for weather and phone calls.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh, I am itching to buy the 6-series 55" TCL but I am struggling to pull the trigger and drop $600 on something that will be instantly worth close to zero if I wanted to resell it. I hate commitments costing that much.

I guess I did it with my smartphone but that feels different because I'm using it a ton every day. My TV I'll mostly be using on the weekends. :-/ Plus a smartphone can easily be resold if my priorities change.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Something Offal posted:

Ugh, I am itching to buy the 6-series 55" TCL but I am struggling to pull the trigger and drop $600 on something that will be instantly worth close to zero if I wanted to resell it. I hate commitments costing that much.

I guess I did it with my smartphone but that feels different because I'm using it a ton every day. My TV I'll mostly be using on the weekends. :-/ Plus a smartphone can easily be resold if my priorities change.

If you are that worried about it, shouldn’t you just look for a used version that is a couple years old? Profit off someone else’s changing priorities.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Haha but I want the BEST, you must understand my good Orvin. We already have some 42" Samsung large bezel LCD whatever from a few years ago. Sounds like a 2 year old TCL wouldn't be that big of a jump.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You could for sure sell that TCL for $150 or $200 in a few years.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Something Offal posted:

Haha but I want the BEST, you must understand my good Orvin.

If you really want the best, then it's not the TCL. I mean, it's pretty good bang for your buck, but a good OLED will retain a better resale value, though you'll be paying significantly more for it.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Something Offal posted:

How long do you keep your TVs? I kept my last one for 10 years and will probably use it for close to that. So who cares if it’s worthless in a resale situation?

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

qbert posted:

If you really want the best, then it's not the TCL. I mean, it's pretty good bang for your buck, but a good OLED will retain a better resale value, though you'll be paying significantly more for it.

What's the thread-consensus best bang for buck OLED in the 55" range?

The bang-for-buck of the TCL for $600 is a big factor. I'm close to pulling the trigger. I don't know gret I just have a natural aversion to making a commitment for a length of time like that. But I want a nice screen to ogle at the same time.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm not really up on the latest OLED specs but I'd assume that a C7 would be considered the best value at the moment.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There are enough longevity improvements on the 8 series that I wouldn't consider a 7 series at this point unless it was severely discounted.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

American McGay posted:

I'm not really up on the latest OLED specs but I'd assume that a C7 would be considered the best value at the moment.

I think the B7 is even cheaper and basically the same, so I'd give that best value personally.

bull3964 posted:

There are enough longevity improvements on the 8 series that I wouldn't consider a 7 series at this point unless it was severely discounted.

Really? The only changes I read about in the 8 series were black frame insertion and Google Assistant integration, neither of which would be enough to get me to pay the upgrade difference.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Argh a $2500-3000 step up. Oh well. I'll stick with the budget TCL.

People often ask me (since they know I'm interested in decent quality) what the practical differences are between a ~$350 4K panel and a $600 one. I think the industry needs to do a better job at illustrating those differences. Terrible Best Buy setups don't help. I wish I could see the TCL somewhere before buying it first.. I think I'll talk to my local Best Buy about that. A specialty retailer near me with a good rep doesn't carry any TCLs... it definitely seems like something that's a great idea to purchase in person.

Best Buy's return period would only be 14 days however.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Something Offal posted:

Argh a $2500-3000 step up. Oh well. I'll stick with the budget TCL.

The 55" B7 is currently $1700 on Amazon when I just checked. That's more like a $1100 step up, not $2500-3000.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

qbert posted:

The 55" B7 is currently $1700 on Amazon when I just checked. That's more like a $1100 step up, not $2500-3000.

Whoops I was looking at https://www.amazon.com/LG-OLED65C8PUA-65-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B079V3J3Y9/ref=dp_ob_title_ce , the poster above said C7. I wish I didn't hate spending on frivolous goodies.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

qbert posted:

Really? The only changes I read about in the 8 series were black frame insertion and Google Assistant integration, neither of which would be enough to get me to pay the upgrade difference.
I mean if you're a super future-proof nerd (like I suppose most people who spend >$1500 on a TV are) the 7 series introduced much better HDR/DV compatibility and the 8 series did a lot for motion processing which is a big deal to certain people. Personally I own a B6 and don't have any wants or desires for anything better than that. My eyes are bad anyway.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Something Offal posted:

Whoops I was looking at https://www.amazon.com/LG-OLED65C8PUA-65-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B079V3J3Y9/ref=dp_ob_title_ce , the poster above said C7. I wish I didn't hate spending on frivolous goodies.

Yeah, that's the C8, and at 65". One thing about shopping for TVs, it's very easy to accidentally look at the wrong model/size from what you were intending and get confused on prices.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Something Offal posted:

People often ask me (since they know I'm interested in decent quality) what the practical differences are between a ~$350 4K panel and a $600 one. however.

The answer there is almost always "The cheaper one is 4k resolution, but it is not UHD."

Then say UHD is a combination of resolution, how many colors it can reproduce, and how bright it can get. So the cheaper TV only does one of the three things and most of the benefit of UHD is the other two.

Really, if you have a functioning 1080p tv with a good picture, you get next to no benefit from buying a cheap 4k tv because resolution is the least important thing for UHD. You need to step up to one that supports wide color gamut and gets bright enough for HDR. Minimum buy in with all of those features right now is $600 with the TCL R series (and P series last year.)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 2, 2018

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
High Definition Television: just buy the TCL you nerd

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bah, the bedroom tv I bought stayed at a rock solid $220 for 2 months until the moment we decide to get one for my mother in law and it jumps back up $100. It’s like Walmart did it just to spite me personally.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
Can anyone comment on the quality of the Vizio P series? I'm considering getting this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1407012-REG/vizio_p55_f1_p_series_55_4k_hdr.html or the 6 series TCL.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ErikTheRed posted:

Can anyone comment on the quality of the Vizio P series? I'm considering getting this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1407012-REG/vizio_p55_f1_p_series_55_4k_hdr.html or the 6 series TCL.

I'm sure the P series probably edges out the TCL, but at those price points, I'd probably save and go with the TCL.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The P series is fairly well regarded. I haven't had a chance to see a TCL seeing they are something of a fairy tale in Canada but if its not too much more and in your budget, I'd go with the P. Much more fleshed out in terms of features I would imagine.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I bought a LG UBK90 to pair with my LG B7a and woaaahhh Dolby Vision disc is incredible.

A lot of gaming options too running my pc on “game mode” on 4k HDR is pretty amazing for Hitman. 1080p @ 120hz works pretty well as does 1080@60 HDR.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 5, 2018

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Holy poo poo. I just tried to watch a season premiere on the big Samsung TV in the apartment common lounge. The sound quality was absolutely crap. I could barely follow the plot. My 39" TCL is way better than this.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

All TV speakers are crap.

Is there anything out there that will do 4K@120hz yet?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

codo27 posted:

All TV speakers are crap.

Is there anything out there that will do 4K@120hz yet?

Nothing that's sold as a TV. HDMI doesn't have even close to enough bandwidth in 2.0 form. The latest wave of top-end gaming monitors can do 4K120 4:4:4 and 4K144 4:2:2 over DisplayPort in the 27" range but that's it for now.

The "BFGD" units nVidia has been pushing are basically the same thing with larger panels more in the TV size range, so that may be close enough for what you're looking for, but there are currently no official release dates AFAIK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

wolrah posted:

The "BFGD" units nVidia has been pushing

I had actually forgotten about those, not that they will be in my price range in this lifetime