Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I hope they focus on fauna for a future update. More variance, both in visuals and in behaviour, would go a long way to make each planet feel more unique.

Edit: Anyone know if they've fixed the "The Purge" mission?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

explosivo posted:

I'm pretty sure "The first one is free" means if you declined that one the next one you run into will also let you get it for free. Since you don't have one yet at that point. At least that's what I've been led to believe - you can decline the frigate and roll the die that the next one you get will be an S-Ranked or something better which you'll then get for free.

Also I did the same and they let me transfer stuff into the freighter too. I was very confused at first because I thought I accidentally accepted the ship. I have no idea why it would let you do that. I'm glad I realized what was going on and transferred all my stuff back before leaving the system.

ToastyPotato posted:

I had the same bug on my old save. Reported it, but yeah you didn't actually get the freighter. You can't call it, and the game says you don't own it. I lost a bunch of items too because I transferred stuff over before I realized I was bugged.

Ok thank you for the clarification. I don't think I lost too much, I'm just glad to hear I'll have another opportunity to get a free one. That would have seriously sucked if I'd lost my only chance.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

bgreman posted:

My ship refuses to ever spawn on the landing pad when I teleport back to base, so I'm not sure if this is working as intended. It definitely used to when I was playing last summer.

Yeah, my ship spawns on top of a large column I built my base next to rather than the unobstructed landing pad a few feet away.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Does the ship spawn a specific distance from the base computer? Usually I put the computer in the general area I think I would be ok with the ship spawning.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Has anyone had any weird issues with terrain repopulating inside your base after digging it out?

I’m trying to make two-wall high rooms, and the game seems to not like the empty space that encompasses the top half of the room and every time I leave the base it refills that space with the terrain I removed.

I’m trying various methods of saving, uploading, and building to try and find a way to keep it dug out. I would give up and just do single high walls, but somehow one room that was entirely dug out is 100% fine and persists through saves. There has to be a trick somehow, or maybe it’s just janky. (It’s probably just janky.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

You know, the fleet missions stuff is kind of interesting. And having your own huge fleet chill out around the freighter is pretty cool as well.

But repairing damaged ships is just the dumbest, most tedious busywork.

I'd much much rather have support ships dedicated to stuff like repair, that can't be sent out on expeditions, but instead focus on maintaining the fleet.
Ship gets critically damaged? Alright, it'll be out of commission for an hour or three, meanwhile it'll cost a couple units to get back in ship shape or something.

Having to fly to each ship individually, and repair parts ( and then need to fly off to get more resources. ) makes the fleet stuff so much more tedious it's tempting to just ignore it, because any damaged ship means taking atleast 5 min just to fix it.

In related news, I just sent out 3 ships, and got back 3 ruined ships 10 min later. (What are S-class fighter freighters even for, if it'll just wreck itself on the first combat mission it goes on? ugh. )

e: The ships themselves are pretty cool to run around on, but it feels like the repair stuff is there just to make the effort they put into modelling the ships worth it. Since otherwise you'd never spend more than a photo op or two on them.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 2, 2018

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Has anyone had any weird issues with terrain repopulating inside your base after digging it out?

I’m trying to make two-wall high rooms, and the game seems to not like the empty space that encompasses the top half of the room and every time I leave the base it refills that space with the terrain I removed.

I’m trying various methods of saving, uploading, and building to try and find a way to keep it dug out. I would give up and just do single high walls, but somehow one room that was entirely dug out is 100% fine and persists through saves. There has to be a trick somehow, or maybe it’s just janky. (It’s probably just janky.)

Saw it happen to a streamer. It kind of happened to me, but it was only an uncovered cargo pod kind of being slightly covered again. Alternatively, I have 3 cargo pods in that base that keep refilling, so every time I log in I basically get free warp cells and a Superconductor...

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Someone ITT (I think) mentioned that using the terrain tool to dig out a spot for your base is a bad idea because the game can only support 8,000 terrain changes with the tool and will start to fill in spaces elsewhere if that number is reached? Meaning if you dug out a big space and went onto other planets and dug around for materials and whatnot, eventually it's going to start filling in stuff that was dug out before to keep the number of changes relatively low.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

explosivo posted:

Someone ITT (I think) mentioned that using the terrain tool to dig out a spot for your base is a bad idea because the game can only support 8,000 terrain changes with the tool and will start to fill in spaces elsewhere if that number is reached? Meaning if you dug out a big space and went onto other planets and dug around for materials and whatnot, eventually it's going to start filling in stuff that was dug out before to keep the number of changes relatively low.

But it doesn't mind terrain changes from placing buildings? Also does that mean deposits will eventually respawn?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Is there a way to see exactly what you're supposed to be doing for Nolo? Because I've completely forgotten.

Also I've been complaining a lot about crashes on PS4 - looks like it was the pro's boost mode. Disabling that seems to fix the crashes.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Twice now, I've been aboard a freighter that suddenly warps out and I'm dropped into space for an instant death. The second time I was not able to recover my stuff. Pretty frustrating.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Phobeste posted:

Is there a way to see exactly what you're supposed to be doing for Nolo? Because I've completely forgotten.

You should be able to check on your log.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phobeste posted:

Also I've been complaining a lot about crashes on PS4 - looks like it was the pro's boost mode. Disabling that seems to fix the crashes.

Go to the log screen and select the Anomaly quest, it should tell you either what he's waiting for you to do or that he's ready to talk to you again. Also when you visit talk to him repeatedly in case you've already done whatever the next milestone is.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

They need to fix mission logs in general. The log screen does not show exactly what you need to do most of the time. You have to select it and then look on your HUD or through the scanner to see exact numbers sometimes. :psyduck:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

haveblue posted:

Go to the log screen and select the Anomaly quest, it should tell you either what he's waiting for you to do or that he's ready to talk to you again. Also when you visit talk to him repeatedly in case you've already done whatever the next milestone is.

It just says return to him but then he just gives me the option to buy tech... Might just be broken.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Phobeste posted:

It just says return to him but then he just gives me the option to buy tech... Might just be broken.

Buy? Or is he is offering you the three choices for rewards? Because those are the rewards he gives when you complete a thing.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

They fixed reclaiming your old base! The quest now shows an actual in the wild base computer you can use to teleport your pre-Next base to it. Mine is.. not quite as cool as I remembered but hey, it works now.

And it gave me back a bunch of buildable stuff I had pre-Next too. Finally got the blueprint analyser back! :toot:

Now to fix my frigates!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

They fixed reclaiming your old base! The quest now shows an actual in the wild base computer you can use to teleport your pre-Next base to it. Mine is.. not quite as cool as I remembered but hey, it works now.

And it gave me back a bunch of buildable stuff I had pre-Next too. Finally got the blueprint analyser back! :toot:

Now to fix my frigates!

Can I still do it if I built other bases on that save since Next? Do I just go to a new planet to trigger it?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

Can I still do it if I built other bases on that save since Next? Do I just go to a new planet to trigger it?

I have a new base on a nice planet that I just flew around in (with the mission active), scanned around until it said it had found a suitable location and it was on the same planet. Went to the icon and there was the base computer that allowed me to restore the old base, done.

Also they didn't fix fixing the friggin' frigates. My frigates are still hosed.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SubNat posted:

You know, the fleet missions stuff is kind of interesting. And having your own huge fleet chill out around the freighter is pretty cool as well.

But repairing damaged ships is just the dumbest, most tedious busywork.

I'd much much rather have support ships dedicated to stuff like repair, that can't be sent out on expeditions, but instead focus on maintaining the fleet.
Ship gets critically damaged? Alright, it'll be out of commission for an hour or three, meanwhile it'll cost a couple units to get back in ship shape or something.

Having to fly to each ship individually, and repair parts ( and then need to fly off to get more resources. ) makes the fleet stuff so much more tedious it's tempting to just ignore it, because any damaged ship means taking atleast 5 min just to fix it.

In related news, I just sent out 3 ships, and got back 3 ruined ships 10 min later. (What are S-class fighter freighters even for, if it'll just wreck itself on the first combat mission it goes on? ugh. )

e: The ships themselves are pretty cool to run around on, but it feels like the repair stuff is there just to make the effort they put into modelling the ships worth it. Since otherwise you'd never spend more than a photo op or two on them.

I was just thinking about this last night. I still only have the one frigate but it came back with two damaged parts and they both required Gold to fix (which I haven't been carrying around because I've never needed it before), meaning I need to either carry it on me or my ship at a time when inventory space is still a premium to me or take the time to go find some. Both of those options seem really bad to me. And this is after I have to take the time to get to the frigate in space, land, and get to the damaged parts themselves.

I really want to like the system but it seems just way too tedious.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ToastyPotato posted:

They need to fix mission logs in general. The log screen does not show exactly what you need to do most of the time. You have to select it and then look on your HUD or through the scanner to see exact numbers sometimes. :psyduck:

My biggest complaint with the game so far is that the UI is shockingly lovely. If I want to make spaceship fuel just make the metal plating then make it! Don't make me futz around with it that's just tedious. Moving things around or even just reading things is a pain in the rear end too.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

IcePhoenix posted:

I really want to like the system but it seems just way too tedious.

NMS.txt

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

My biggest complaint with the game so far is that the UI is shockingly lovely. If I want to make spaceship fuel just make the metal plating then make it! Don't make me futz around with it that's just tedious. Moving things around or even just reading things is a pain in the rear end too.

Seriously, the game, even after multiple big updates, still seems based around the idea that tedious repetitive tasks are fun worthwhile content. Most design choices are completely rear end backward from anything we've seen in games in the history of video games. Like seriously, there are times you can't combine stacks of things depending on how much is in each stack. Like you can't just top off stacks of things for reasons. I keep having weird stacks of like 491 of something and I can't get it to 500 without splitting stacks and trying to guess what the gently caress it will accept.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

No Man’s Sky has such a weird design philosophy based around making everything require as many steps as possible with there being no coherent end goal, which I suppose is thematically relevent.

I mean, most of the recipes in the game are for useless but valuable trade goods. Frigates and farming and all of these weird mechanics, even finding rare objects or resources are only marginally useful for progression and end up being tedious ways to earn money which in the end has no real value.

If this is intentional, I’d say they want you to think about the experiences you choose to have and what their logical conclusion is. But still, just puttering around means refilling your gas tank and a dozen UI interactions to make the fuel in the first place, which means you have to zap a rock and some crystals, etc.

The universe is an inhospitable place for people.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I mean, I look at things like bases with "permanent equipment" and then things like the portable refinery and think "oh, so the refinery was all you had in the base game so you just took everything around" then look it up and learn it also came with the bases and I just wonder how there was any game to actually release originally.

I know there basically wasn't but drat. It's in a pretty decent state now I think but it definitely deserved the flak.

quote:

No Man’s Sky has such a weird design philosophy based around making everything require as many steps as possible with there being no coherent end goal, which I suppose is thematically relevent.

I'm treating it like I do X3. I don't give a poo poo about the "plot" beyond using it for goodies. I will never hit the center of the galaxy for NG+ or whatever. Instead I'm going to look for cool stuff and build a base network with a small fleet (even if, like in X3, most of that fleet is largely pointless since you can't do anything with fighters you're not flying afaik).

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

Seriously, the game, even after multiple big updates, still seems based around the idea that tedious repetitive tasks are fun worthwhile content. Most design choices are completely rear end backward from anything we've seen in games in the history of video games. Like seriously, there are times you can't combine stacks of things depending on how much is in each stack. Like you can't just top off stacks of things for reasons. I keep having weird stacks of like 491 of something and I can't get it to 500 without splitting stacks and trying to guess what the gently caress it will accept.
It's a game set in a procedural universe, but there's no emergence - everything interesting that happens is literally a script on a timer (warping in on freighter battles, exotic ships, being attacked by pirates etc) and everything interesting you come across is just a one-off (crashed freighters, biological horrors)

It's a game set in an open universe, but there's only one way to do anything - if you don't want to follow the quest lines, you're locked out of 90% of the game

It's a game about exploration, but there's no exploration, discovery or novelty - the whole mechanic is 'press scan, then point at the closest icon in the HUD', and valuable stuff is both everywhere and uninteresting

There's a lot to love about the game, and you can definitely have fun, but drat if this game doesn't try it's hardest to make the time you play miserable

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I haven't had a good reason to use the word 'flabbergasted' in awhile, NMS has given me one

Why in the actual gently caress do they not back up multiple saves over time automatically

I've read multiple reports in the last week of people losing saves with dozens or hundreds of hours.

Whatever else you do in a game, you never, ever gently caress up your players save files, and that goes double triple double for a game like NMS with creative elements and lots of puttering around.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I don't find anything wrong with designing a grind based game. People like them, hell I like them to a degree. But NMS does things just to waste time, like crafting, and the UI in general. Everything seems designed to just waste arbitrary amounts of time. Scanning takes a while for reasons, crafting is clunky and can't just make what you need. Inventory management is inferior to inventory management in games that are 20 years older. Want to have two items swap spaces in your cargo? gently caress you! Have an open slot and do slide puzzles instead.

Even resource management does it. Why do I need to manually recharge my life support systems? Why not just have a dedicate fuel slot for those things that can pull from stacks of whatever I thrown into them, like the way the portable refiner works? I got all this oxygen in my bag but I have to keep stopping to click around a few times to recharge my air supply.

The frigate stuff is another example. From what I have read, Fleet Missions seem a lot like the Garrison missions from Warlords of Draenor, which I loving loved. Loved it more than the actual proper game, tbh. But they had to go and put that NMS stank on it with the pointless repair system. Like, the idea of having to grind materials and units to repair them is totally fine for me, but having to fly around and manually repair each ship is all kinds of BS.

It's frustrating because NMS is on the precipice of being the perfect chill grind game, but then it does all this annoying crap and is also bugged and broken half the time.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 2, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So fun MP stuff: if you build a base underground/in a mountain and someone joins your session your friend joining triggers a map regeneration so it buries you base.

Do we have a That’s NMS! Emote yet?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So fun MP stuff: if you build a base underground/in a mountain and someone joins your session your friend joining triggers a map regeneration so it buries you base.

So that will happen if a rando joins too right? Should I be turning network play off if I don't want randos joining me? There is no downside to that right?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Buy? Or is he is offering you the three choices for rewards? Because those are the rewards he gives when you complete a thing.

Buy, for 140k apiece.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Hey everybody who's frustrated with the sentinel changes since NEXT dropped, please go report it as a bug here:

https://hellogames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=167605

Maybe if we get enough people reporting it as a bug we might see some kind of response.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Cantorsdust posted:

Hey everybody who's frustrated with the sentinel changes since NEXT dropped, please go report it as a bug here:

https://hellogames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=167605

Maybe if we get enough people reporting it as a bug we might see some kind of response.

I can't stress that enough. PLEASE report the bugs you find.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Burrowing out a base sounds like a bad idea in general unless you plan on building it and ever doing anything in game ever again, I don't know that network players are really the issue here

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Azhais posted:

Burrowing out a base sounds like a bad idea in general unless you plan on building it and ever doing anything in game ever again, I don't know that network players are really the issue here

If it's good enough for the slaves of armok it's good enough for me

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

victrix posted:

I haven't had a good reason to use the word 'flabbergasted' in awhile, NMS has given me one

Why in the actual gently caress do they not back up multiple saves over time automatically

I've read multiple reports in the last week of people losing saves with dozens or hundreds of hours.

Whatever else you do in a game, you never, ever gently caress up your players save files, and that goes double triple double for a game like NMS with creative elements and lots of puttering around.

Extra so when the savegames are just <8MB. It would be an utter non-issue to just have a couple autosaves rolling to keep the last couple hours of gameplay backed up.

By the way, is there any kind of real benefit to getting closer to the core of the galaxy?

I've been shuffling towards it using black holes whenever possible, and otherwise skipping through rich systems, in search for S-rank multitools.

And I haven't really noticed much difference at ~550k LY from the core, vs out at 700+ where I started.
Other than seeing a lot more haulers, though that might just be because I'm skipping from rich system to rich system thanks to ~700LY jumps letting me hop between them in the hopes of finding a good multitool.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

SubNat posted:

Extra so when the savegames are just <8MB. It would be an utter non-issue to just have a couple autosaves rolling to keep the last couple hours of gameplay backed up.
What's the reason behind the 8mb limit? It probably explains a whole load of bugs, especially terrain regenerating and burying your base, which sort of defeats the purpose of letting people build anywhere.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

toiletbrush posted:

It's a game set in a procedural universe, but there's no emergence - everything interesting that happens is literally a script on a timer (warping in on freighter battles, exotic ships, being attacked by pirates etc) and everything interesting you come across is just a one-off (crashed freighters, biological horrors)

It's a game set in an open universe, but there's only one way to do anything - if you don't want to follow the quest lines, you're locked out of 90% of the game

It's a game about exploration, but there's no exploration, discovery or novelty - the whole mechanic is 'press scan, then point at the closest icon in the HUD', and valuable stuff is both everywhere and uninteresting

There's a lot to love about the game, and you can definitely have fun, but drat if this game doesn't try it's hardest to make the time you play miserable

This is 100% true.

I'm finding that while Next is a major update, there still isn't that much meaningful interaction for players. I can't think up a single "cool" moment I've had in NMS because they just don't exist, everyone is having all of the same interactions on every planet and there's nothing unique about them except the planet they're doing them on. The game's procedural generation is amazing and the game sure is beautiful as gently caress to look at but it REALLY needs some hand-crafted events and cool interactions. For the next major update I hope that they leave the procedural generation of plants, animations, environments alone and really focus on awesome things to do.

Not to dog the game though, I think it's actually good now rather than the piss-poor alpha thing we got 2 years ago, but it's still lacking.

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't find anything wrong with designing a grind based game.

There is because this is usually a tell tale sign of "we don't have any good ideas so let's make players do the same tasks over and over." Grinding is bullshit in any game.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Some people, me included, like grinding games. Especially when you are grinding towards something, whether it be achievement hunting (which is meh for me) or just collecting resources for building projects or whatever, which tons of Minecraft players seem to love. Grinding is bad when it becomes the only necessary way to play the game when it probably shouldn't, like in an RPG, but in an open world game like this, there usually isn't any thing to do but build, collect poo poo, and explore, so grinding is fine with me in general. That said, the grinding combined with the weird design elements that slow gameplay to a crawl is not very fun. I wouldn't mind having to keep up a store of resources to keep a fleet up and running, but having to literally fly to the fleet and fix them by hand is not the good kind of grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I'm finding that while Next is a major update, there still isn't that much meaningful interaction for players. I can't think up a single "cool" moment I've had in NMS because they just don't exist, everyone is having all of the same interactions on every planet and there's nothing unique about them except the planet they're doing them on. The game's procedural generation is amazing and the game sure is beautiful as gently caress to look at but it REALLY needs some hand-crafted events and cool interactions. For the next major update I hope that they leave the procedural generation of plants, animations, environments alone and really focus on awesome things to do.

The coolest thing I've done so far is break into a depot, punch all the containers open, then run from the space cops by flying away in my ship, which ran out of gas in about two seconds so I forcibly landed like one hill away from it. I then ran back and punched the remaining containers open and jetpacked off another hill to dodge them.

I sold it all for like 400k and bought an advanced mining laser, which I used to learn you can't shuffle inventory if it's full.

I should probably build a gun at some point.