Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

new WAF/IPS feature: randomly injected latency to create excessive noise for timing attacks

Sheep posted:

Honestly this seems like it is probably the most straightforward mitigation.
FreeBSDs ipfw has dummynet which can already do this (along with many other fun things), see the man-page section on pipe, queue and scheduler configuration with particular attention to the profiles that let you do probabilistic delay.

Edit: Thinking about it, I do wonder if there's a way you can use ipfw tee to send traffic to an IDS which could then feed information back into dummynet so that it would only do latency injection when it detected a specific set of traffic patterns.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
Random noise slows down timing attacks but not nearly as much as you'd want it to.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Double Punctuation posted:

If Spectre required admin access, then it wouldn’t be an exploit.

Yes, Spectre is limited to the address space of wherever the vulnerable code is running, so it was initially difficult to attack different processes without finding vulnerable system calls or a way to run bytecode in the kernel. But here’s the thing: What do you think is the process most attackers will want to exfiltrate data from? And what process will be running attacker-controlled JavaScript?

Let's see, random scanning monitoring pages like firewall poo poo, SPA services/services like Ruby on Rails or Node.js with their own special implantation and monitoring software you know is just filthed up with JavaScript because "UX" design.

Also the first part of your statement is backwards. I would be more worried of an attack that only works on admin because then the person doing the attack knows not only the attack works but because the attack works there is no doubt that they are touching an admin account.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

EVIL Gibson posted:

Also the first part of your statement is backwards. I would be more worried of an attack that only works on admin because then the person doing the attack knows not only the attack works but because the attack works there is no doubt that they are touching an admin account.

??? "This attack lets the admin do things they could do already" is not an exploit. I don't think you parsed their statement properly.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

EVIL Gibson posted:

I would be more worried of an attack that only works on admin because then the person doing the attack knows not only the attack works but because the attack works there is no doubt that they are touching an admin account.
priv esc is dead folks, pack your bags

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

It had a good run.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Volguus posted:

Thunderbird rules. Thunderbird works. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Thunderbird is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my Thunderbird is useless. Without my Thunderbird, I am useless.

Sir this is a modern business

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Can you use Thunderbird with Exchange

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Iirc only via imap

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

There is a forked plugin for native exchange support in Thunderbird, but how you feel about some random GitHub that may not work with future versions of Thunderbird is another infosec discussion.

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
Apart from the FT ePass is anyone aware of any u2f device that also supports GIDS Smart card or loading JavaCardOS applets? Really would like to have U2F and GIDS support. YubiKey seems to have the ability to load JCOS applets but it isn't clear anymore that the manager keys are freely available

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1024103949639589888

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Best practice is to make service accounts for each sensitive external services so even if that service owner is compromised, they are basically only locked down to to what they are permitted.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

EVIL Gibson posted:

Best practice is to make service accounts for each sensitive external services so even if that service owner is compromised, they are basically only locked down to to what they are permitted.

Hence the privilege escalation comment.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Imagine putting "Endorsed by @SwiftOnSecurity" on your resume

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

Imagine putting "Endorsed by @SwiftOnSecurity" on your resume

:allears:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I like how the letter is written by Susan Bradley but the Computerworld article is written by Woody Leonhard.

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

EVIL Gibson posted:

...Until they privesc to administrator.

But yes, separation of duties/least privilege is good

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

vomit
https://twitter.com/duosec/status/1024989452031143936

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Goodbye duo, I really liked your service and how it worked with, but wasn't directly integrated into, anyconnect.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

That is not the news I wanted to start my day with.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
*deletes app*

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Uh, stupid question for someone who's not familiar with the issues, why is being acquired by Cisco bad, aside from "giant company acquires another good, small company and ruins it"?
We just switched to Duo and F5 BigIP for VPN where I work, so this may be relevant to me.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Darchangel posted:

Uh, stupid question for someone who's not familiar with the issues, why is being acquired by Cisco bad, aside from "giant company acquires another good, small company and ruins it"?
We just switched to Duo and F5 BigIP for VPN where I work, so this may be relevant to me.

"This year has brought five undocumented backdoors in Cisco’s routers so far, and it isn't over yet. In March, a hardcoded account with the username “cisco” was revealed. The backdoor would have allowed attackers to access over 8.5 million Cisco routers and switches remotely."

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Cisco has a reputation of cornering markets and ratcheting up the costs to near-intolerable levels while cutting support and development.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Features and product innovation go down.
Security goes down.
Support goes down.
Prices go up.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

"And probably more exciting on the national scale, Duo Security’s $1.17 billion valuation is the highest valuation we have seen of any venture-backed company in Michigan."

hell yeah tech bubble is coming to the motor city

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

Features and product innovation go down.
Security goes down.
Support goes down.
Prices go up.
Bitcoin people learned a lot from Cisco, in their chanting of "Up up up!"

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

"And probably more exciting on the national scale, Duo Security’s $1.17 billion valuation is the highest valuation we have seen of any venture-backed company in Michigan."

Don't worry, tech industry bubble is about ready to burst.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
They also like to create obnoxious and nonsensical dependencies, so that to use one product successfully, you've really gotta use this OTHER product. They want to be the go-to for SO many categories of product that they're not actually competitive in :\

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Ann Arbor is not Detroit.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sounds like Cisco is a fine example of business know-how. By which I mean a bunch of money grubbing assholes who aren't particularly good at what they purport to do.
Guess they're really good at kickbacks and free lunches, 'cuz I see they're poo poo all over the place.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Cisco bought opendns and so far haven't hosed that up

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Very cyberpunk:

https://twitter.com/alt_kia/status/1024786909199884288

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Cisco bought opendns and so far haven't hosed that up

Kind of hard to gently caress up a DNS security company. I mean, they'll definitely try their hardest.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah but Umbrella spawned out of it, and ain’t that some poo poo.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

What the gently caress, context please

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah but Umbrella spawned out of it, and ain’t that some poo poo.

Does it still not work on IPv6 networks?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

What the gently caress, context please

I'm guessing that it's "truck or trailer owner slaps GPS unit on truck or trailer, but truck driver doesn't like how they get treated when this information is gathered on them and brings a GPS-jammer on their drive; unwitting bystanders have their GPS jammed along the drivers route."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And they've been able to track the jammers by looking at the signature of the interference being generated