Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Does that have anything to do with parachuting or is it that they are set up as a fast response unit?

The vast majority of the time they would deploy rapidly, it wouldn’t involve parachuting.

Part of it is that they’re so light that you don’t need to ship a gajillion vehicles over with them, so they can be ready to go quickly.

Of course, this sometimes means you land a bunch of foot soldiers at an airstrip and the first thing they’re asking for is for someone to drive them to where they’re needed, since 3 miles per hour isn’t the fastest movement speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the difference between the 82nd and the 101st

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

zoux posted:

What's the difference between the 82nd and the 101st

19?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Extremely not even skin deep answer: focus on airborne ops (82d) vs air assault ops (101st)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Does that have anything to do with parachuting or is it that they are set up as a fast response unit?

Not really, they just keep a brigade on a 72 hour deployment notice. The main enabler there is just that they have the training etc on rapid airlift, the actual paradropping is kind of irrelevant.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Extremely not even skin deep answer: focus on airborne ops (82d) vs air assault ops (101st)

100 internet points if you can anticipate my next question

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Airborne is jumping out of airplanes. Air assault is either roping or, more often, stepping out of helicopters. Same with air dropping vs helicopter lifting equipment.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
How much of an influence did the invasion of Crete have on Allied airborne operations? The pop narrative I've heard is the Germans looked at the aftermath and said "never again" while the Allies looked and said "that idea's got legs", but that seems a bit too pat.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The French made a bunch of large-ish combat drops in Indochina. I haven't been able to find a good account of them, though, just that they happened.

During the siege of Dien Bien Phu the airstrip was destroyed on day 1 so all French reinforcements had to paradrop in. Prior to that the French had used paratroopers to surprise Vietminh strongpoints and wait for ground relief to varying degrees of success.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

GotLag posted:

How much of an influence did the invasion of Crete have on Allied airborne operations? The pop narrative I've heard is the Germans looked at the aftermath and said "never again" while the Allies looked and said "that idea's got legs", but that seems a bit too pat.

I suspect there's a bit of 'if we do it properly' in there. Hence gliders, not dropping weapons separately from the paratroopers, etc.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

mlmp08 posted:

Of course, this sometimes means you land a bunch of foot soldiers at an airstrip and the first thing they’re asking for is for someone to drive them to where they’re needed, since 3 miles per hour isn’t the fastest movement speed.
Ffs even in WW2 paratroopers would take bicycles with them not to mention heavier stuff brought in gliders, nowadays you can paradrop anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzkQbUHONtY

Fun fact: BMD crews train to jump inside their vehicle, but it wasn't always so. The crews would jump separately from their rides, but it was soon clear that it didn't take much for the two to drift kilometers apart, after which the crew would need to locate both each other and then their vehicle (if it was still there).

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Nenonen posted:

Ffs even in WW2 paratroopers would take bicycles with them not to mention heavier stuff brought in gliders, nowadays you can paradrop anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzkQbUHONtY

Fun fact: BMD crews train to jump inside their vehicle, but it wasn't always so. The crews would jump separately from their rides, but it was soon clear that it didn't take much for the two to drift kilometers apart, after which the crew would need to locate both each other and then their vehicle (if it was still there).

Better hope that nobody cuts the parachute straps like that grunt did to a bunch of hummvees

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

During the siege of Dien Bien Phu the airstrip was destroyed on day 1 so all French reinforcements had to paradrop in. Prior to that the French had used paratroopers to surprise Vietminh strongpoints and wait for ground relief to varying degrees of success.
Do you know any sources that have more narrative accounts? Most of what I've found really is just at this level - "we dropped X troops here on this date, they took Y losses in the subsequent fighting" with no real discussion of how the operation was planned or carried out.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Do you know any sources that have more narrative accounts? Most of what I've found really is just at this level - "we dropped X troops here on this date, they took Y losses in the subsequent fighting" with no real discussion of how the operation was planned or carried out.

one of my favorite anecdotes from windrow's the last valley is when the airfield at dien bien phu was being shelled so regularly that resupply planes couldn't even land, so they airdropped as many supplies as possible. one of the things they dropped was a huge bundle of concertina wire which started bouncing around and hit/killed a vietnamese paratrooper. poor bastard, what a way to die

that book is a pretty good narrative account of how dien bien phu played out on the ground but it's way more grueling trench warfare and bombardment than daring aerial attacks

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
France actually dropped some dudes as a blocking force in Timbuktu relatively recently:
https://youtu.be/osiyuZry6VQ
I don't know how large that force was or whether they were regular paratroopers or special forces.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

Better hope that nobody cuts the parachute straps like that grunt did to a bunch of hummvees
:stare: Go on.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://youtu.be/dR3QMStl7s0

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2017/07/05/soldier-charged-in-failed-humvee-air-drop/

Edit: Have the forums stopped parsing and in-lining youtube links?

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
I imagine one of the main reasons that paratroopers died out except in special case scenarios, or as rapid response troops, is purely economically and logistically based. Sure you can supply a couple of hundred airplanes to drop paratrooper divisions, but its difficult to rationalize that cost in the context of our ostensibly peacetime military. When its the United States and the UK trying to invade a whole continent, that input can change your output, so to speak. Industrialized warfare is a hell of a drug

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

The vast majority of the time they would deploy rapidly, it wouldn’t involve parachuting.

Part of it is that they’re so light that you don’t need to ship a gajillion vehicles over with them, so they can be ready to go quickly.

Current procedure is for paratroopers to call for an Uber while they are in the air so they can be ready to move out as soon as they land.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

There are multiple reasons to the paratrooper situation. Market Garden showed how painfully difficult it is to predict flight weather, and if you want to plan that sort of combined arms operation then you do need to be able to plan everything well ahead. Overlord was perhaps easier in this regard, because if it was too stormy to land from air then it was likely also too stormy to land from the sea (D-day was meant to be June 5).

With modern air defenses and jet fighters it has also become really difficult to come up with a situation where using paratroopers en masse doesn't end in a massacre. Basically rapid unopposed deployments, counter-insurgencies and superpowers vs push-overs.

And then helicopters make things easier. Parachuting is risky even on clear terrain and in windless conditions, and once you jump you will stay there unless you take control of a runway and have a total air supremacy. On choppers you can get everyone precisely where you want them, even a rooftop is enough, and they can also be lifted out of there if the operation is cancelled. The limitation is range.

For great powers they still have a use as a force in being: having that capability can be more useful than being able to use it actively. Since 1940 all operational planning must have taken into account the enemy's capability for airborne operations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Airborne operations also typically required them to be provisioned to be able to fight for X number of days without any real resupply until the ground forces reach them. The problem then becomes when they're down there for 2X days and it turns out that the supplies that they have only are good enough for X/2 days.

And a general lack of heavier weapons (Tanks, big guns, etc).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Taerkar posted:

Airborne operations also typically required them to be provisioned to be able to fight for X number of days without any real resupply until the ground forces reach them. The problem then becomes when they're down there for 2X days and it turns out that the supplies that they have only are good enough for X/2 days.

The lesson from WW2 was that is X is greater than... ~0.7 then you are going to end up with a lot of dead paratroopers.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Taerkar posted:

Well, why hasn't somebody just combined airborne with mobile artillery???

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Halloween Jack posted:

You mean like what the Sheridan and Stingray were supposed to be?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

They have, but the bottleneck is resupply by air. Artillery needs a constant supply of shells to feed, and they need trucks to carry them, and they need fuel to power them... Air bombardment would be a lot easier.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nenonen posted:

They have, but the bottleneck is resupply by air. Artillery needs a constant supply of shells to feed, and they need trucks to carry them, and they need fuel to power them... Air bombardment would be a lot easier.

“The aristocrats” except “The MAGTF”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They could just air drop the shells. Hell, just air drop the shells on the enemy. Oh wait I just invented bombs.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
For airborne operations and especially special ops, the Assault on Eben Emael is also worth checking out. Less known but influential.

22,000 graduates of US Army
Airborne School annually. Roughly 2000-3000 of those are SoF who go to follow on schools.

Cutting cords won’t work on human chutes like it was done with the Humvee. Different people pack reserves and mains. One will work even if other fails. Statistically nigh impossible in peace time to kill with them.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Think they were more referring to cutting the straps on the BMD with the crew inside.

Not that deliberate sabotage has to be involved for parachute training to end in grievous injury, as you well know.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Davin Valkri posted:

You mean like what the Sheridan and Stingray were supposed to be?
They made too many compromises. Just get a really big parachute and put it on a M109.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

hailthefish posted:

Not that deliberate sabotage has to be involved for parachute training to end in grievous injury, as you well know.

Harsh but fair.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Can anyone recommend me a good history audiobook? I wanted to listen to The Nazi Seizure of Power but they don’t have it on Audible, so I need to come up with something else.

I just finished the Siege of Mecca which I’d recommend to everyone here. It’s about the occupation of the Grand Mosque by early radical Sunni extremists convinced that the Mahdi had appeared and they could bring about Judgement day.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I enjoyed Dan Jones's Templars.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

zoux posted:

They could just air drop the shells. Hell, just air drop the shells on the enemy. Oh wait I just invented bombs.

Bombers with a half-load of bombs, and a half-load of paras. The bombs fall faster than the paras, they land having achieved maximum surprise and efficacy

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Isn't "never parachute into an area you just bombed" some sort of saying?

My former neighbour was the son of a nazi parachutist. There isn't much of a story to go with that, but the guy sure did hate the Russians.

Edit: and the British

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

ilmucche posted:

but the guy sure did hate the Russians.

Edit: and the British

But then who doesn't, including the Russians or the Brits?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Paratroops are probably more survivable these days since light infantry in general is better equipped. You can drop decent sized mortars that pack a pretty good punch and ATGMs are now pretty gnarly, so it's a lot better than in WWII where the solution to "how do i get antitank capability" was poo poo like "stick an AT gun in a glider and pray like gently caress"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

ilmucche posted:

Isn't "never parachute into an area you just bombed" some sort of saying?

Such fancy advice applies to noble sky knight pilots, not expendable grunts.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Fangz posted:

Oh wow that is a really interesting page.

Can you talk about what it means to be evacuated, invalided, or classified Oi(unfit)?

Unfortunately I can't. It's become reasonably clear that Evacuated is for a soldier who is sent to the rear for reasons other than wounding, e.g. illness, accidents and so on. The numbers always seem to be quite high so perhaps there are additional reasons. It wouldn't surprise me if was just about anything medical that took the soldier away from the unit for any length of time - so being away overnight to see the dentist would see them in both the increase and decrease columns.
Invalided I can't recall being applied to other ranks - maybe it's a polite way of evacuating officers.
Trans.T.M.B. will be "transferred to Trench Mortar Battery"
Trans. Labour Corps. is self-explanatory.
A quick google hasn't returned anything on Oi(unfit), but I'm sure it will be out there somewhere.
No courts martial or desertions this month!

13th KRRC War Diary, 1st August 1918 posted:

This evening the Btn moved into the front line, and relieved the 10th Royal Fusiliers in the LEFT SECTOR, RIGHT BRIGADE of the Divisional Front.
The Btn. was disposed as follows. Two coys in the front line with two platoons each in the picquet line and 2 platoons each in close support.
"A" Coy. Right Front
"C" Coy. Left Front
Two Coys. in Support.
"B" Coy. Right Support
"D" Coy. Left Support
Owing to the recent rain the trenches are in a horrible condition and the men are very uncomfortable. It is still raining very heavily at intervals, and the men are waiting till daylight before starting to clean out the mud and water.

13th KRRC War Diary, 2nd August 1918 posted:

The front line Coys. are supplied with Tommy Cookers for making tea, meat is sent up to them already cooked. The two support Coys do all their cooking in the support line.
Raining still at intervals and it is very difficult for the men to make any headway in cleaning up the lines.
Work
The following parties are supplied for working in dug-outs, etc from the support Coys.
1 N.C.O. + 10 O.R. per shift in 3 shifts every 24 hours
1 N.C.O. + 30 O.R. per shift in 3 shifts every 24 hours
1 N.C.O. + 25 O.R. daily for carrying 6 "Newton" T.M.'s
Wiring under Btn arrangements

There was slightly more enemy movement today than usual in th evicinity of POISIEUX AU MONT.
Enemy T.M.'s were fairly active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I have a question for the thread: A while back we had a few guys, including me, post letters written by grandparents. I posted a handful of excerpts from my grandfather's personal letters written post war in Europe.

If I wanted to find more information specific to my grandfather, (unit information, various postings and movements, promotions etc.) throughout the war where would I even start to look for that? It dawned on me that outside of the letters themselves, which are the only real records I know of currently in my family's possession concerning what he was doing at that time, I don't really have any idea how he ended up there and today for some reason I decided I'd like to start researching it.

If finding this kind of information is possible can someone point me in the right direction?