Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

dem goblin eyes :swoon:

quote:

dem bat ears :swoon:

Plate
Jul 5, 2006
Love for the rest of us
Fallen Rib
I took onboard the advice about not getting a small non-sighthound as a buddy for my grey, so I'm probably getting one of these instead http://silkenwindhounds.org/

It does mean dealing with pup-dom, but I feel like that increases the chances of ending up with a decently small sighthound that can get along with my cats and Zephyr if I introduce them correctly. The UK breeder scene is pretty small, but very well connected and seems to have pretty good integrity in terms of upholding the intentions that the original US breed developer had in mind. I should be going to meet some adult dogs start of August and then visiting with a fairly recent litter soon after.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
“Get a greyhound!” they said, “It’ll be great!” they said

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-Gfig9CEms

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

The bit at 00:30 where you ask him if he's a good boy and his tail speeds up. :kimchi:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Radiation Cow posted:

The bit at 00:30 where you ask him if he's a good boy and his tail speeds up. :kimchi:

I love making him go tail-spin doing that :kimchi:

He indeed is a very good boy

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Does anyone else deliberately play doggo youtubes at full volume to mess with their own long bois?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I used to play some rooing videos which would get some funny reactions

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sparty doesn’t react to them as far as I can tell. I’ve only gotten him to properly roo once, and he seemed pretty surprised at himself.

https://m.imgur.com/r/gifs/55SYSA1

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

DarkHorse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-Gfig9CEms

Don’t torture a good boy

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Good boys eat when it’s dinner time and not a minute sooner :colbert:

Ok maybe a little sooner, but only if they’re not bad boys

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Tess trying real hard to get me to give her my lunch. It was a double-stack from Wendy's, like they get on their birthdays.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I had to go to a 3 day conference and recruited a friend to look after Josie and my cat Littlebug. With my ok she took Josie back to her house (they have a border collie/Saluki cross Josie is friends with) and now she and her husband cannot stop telling me what a good sweet gentle well behaved girl she was and how much they love her and the husband especially loves her (he slept downstairs with her because Josie doesn’t like upstairses) and can she please have Josie some days when I am at work.

It’s true. She is a good girl.

Here she is with no head.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Haha yes that’s some pro t-re:stare:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
MC Escherdog

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Like a silent hill dog and the horror is there’s no head to pet

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Josie is the bestest headless horsedog

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

skoolmunkee posted:

Like a silent hill dog and the horror is there’s no head to pet
at least there’s a soft pink belly to rub tho

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Spartacus dug an entire rotisserie chicken carcass out of the trash and ate it, bones and all. :cripes:

It had been baked so there’s a worry of splinters, but it had also been boiled to make chicken stock so hopefully any bones that do splinter will just become tiny shards. It’s been 24 hours so it seems to be passing through ok, but he gave us a scare when I came from home from work and he didn’t come see me, was trembling on his bed, and didn’t want to eat any bread.

He got super excited for walks and ate a bunch of softened food right after though and he’s been fine since, so :shrug:

Apparently the lid didn’t latch on the kitchen garbage and we forgot to take it out in the morning. He saves all his misbehaving for when nobody is around; even if one of us leaves for five minutes he gets into something in that time, but is an angel the whole time someone is home (even not watching him)

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Chicken bones aren't that dangerous. They have a fairly low chance of actually loving up your dog's innards. You don't want to roll the dice on it for obvious reasons but yeah if they get into chicken bones they'll probably be fine. He probably just had indigestion from eating an entire carcass.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Doggles ate the bones from a dozen chicken wings and was fine afterward ... after he threw them all up. But yeah, not making that mistake again.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

we read that raw chicken wings are great fo your dog, because they can chew on the raw bone etc

so we gave bonnie one cut in half, and she just swallowed that son of a bitch whole. i was terrified for like 3 days that she'd get a blockage

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
As long as they're raw they're not much of a danger. It's when they've been cooked that they get weak and can splinter, which can cause blockages or intestinal perforations.

Like eating a whole wing isn't great but if they can swallow them they're small enough to probably pass just fine

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Raw bones are actually really good for dogs, and they love them!

* always supervise
* avoid pork bones maybe

You can also give cooked bones but only if they’re cooked to the point of being soft and crumbly (eg several hours of slow cooked chicken carcass)

I never get bone treats at the pet shop because they’ve all had to be cooked in order to be sanitary and have a shelf life, they end up being really hard (and smelly and oily) and more punishing on my dogs’ gums than on any plaque on their teeth.

If you have a butchers nearby you can ask them to save you some chicken “backs” or a beef knuckle or cross-cut of a leg bone or something, if they charge you anything it will be a few cents. It is hilarious to watch your pupper have a go at a flintstones-sized bone.

* the first time you give them say chicken, hold onto one end so they get the idea they have to chew and crunch up the bones, not just horf it down their throat
* don’t let them eat too much bones at first coz they might get upset tummy

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
One of ours, Martha, is the same way. Never touches a thing but literally five minutes alone and she will sleep on the bed, dig in the trash jump on the couch. It's like risky business in there.

She'll hatch plans that take days to come to fruition, I swear. Like she noticed some headphones on a Tuesday and waited until the next Sunday to pluck them from the counter and gently dismantle them.

Or once I took the trash out, came back and heard a banging and thrashing in the bedroom. Martha comes out all normal but I go look and the bed has the sheets pulled off into the ground. She thought I left, settled in for a bad dog nap, heard me come back panicked got caught in the sheets and then came trotting out NBD look on her face.

Her sister Mary is dumb as a bag of hammers and never does anything wrong.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

where's my salmon mf

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Abby sure is a pretty snek :swoon:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

That's true.

I'm not sure how she managed to not move during the picture like she usually does.

She seems to be doing well after having the teeth extracted. No issues.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

That's true.

I'm not sure how she managed to not move during the picture like she usually does.

She seems to be doing well after having the teeth extracted. No issues.

That's great to hear! She's a very pretty lady (you should give her all the salmon)

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Tess today:

Bonus close-up:

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Genovera posted:

Tess pics

Wow, that's a pretty active day of changing positions on the bed. She's gonna need a nap.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I think Gello missed the 'greyhounds are lazy' memo. This is her about two hours into our second walk of the day. And she spent most of that walk chasing and hunting stuff.

She doesn't stop, ever.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
This is a very stupid question. I’ve never seen a fat greyhound. And google has none. So like, is it literally impossible? Does some greyhound society take them away from you if they get fat?

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

This is a very stupid question. I’ve never seen a fat greyhound. And google has none. So like, is it literally impossible? Does some greyhound society take them away from you if they get fat?

From what I've seen with Gello and heard from other greyhound owners, they're very good at self-regulating their eating. If we give Gello too much food in her bowl, she'll just stop eating. Like today, she decided to skip breakfast, though she did regret that by supper time.

That said, I walked yesterday with a "fat" whippet, so it can happen.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I can counter the food regulating bit, Spartacus would eat himself into a coma if we let him. Multiple times when we first got him he fooled us into thinking the other adult hadn’t fed him yet, and he was still scrounging for treats and table scraps besides. :btroll:

Though I think another reason you don’t see fat ones is they’re built to be light - if one starts packing on pounds it’s pretty much guaranteed to have mobility issues, to the point where an extra 20% might immobilize them

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

DarkHorse posted:

I can counter the food regulating bit, Spartacus would eat himself into a coma if we let him. Multiple times when we first got him he fooled us into thinking the other adult hadn’t fed him yet, and he was still scrounging for treats and table scraps besides. :btroll:

Though I think another reason you don’t see fat ones is they’re built to be light - if one starts packing on pounds it’s pretty much guaranteed to have mobility issues, to the point where an extra 20% might immobilize them

They also tend to put on fat in the belly, which is weirdly skinny compared to a "normal" dog breed, so an overweight greyhound looks like a normal regular dog.

our local gpa gave us a diagram like this:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Spartacus would eat himself into a coma if we let him. Multiple times when we first got him he fooled us into thinking the other adult hadn’t fed him yet, and he was still scrounging for treats and table scraps besides.

Every time you post something like this about Spartacus, I realise that Gello is an EZ-Mode dog.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
He’s our special boy :allears:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sparty seems like a glorious shithead, like all greyhounds should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
He pooped in the house last night. After he woke us up to be let out to pee. :geno:

What I’m saying is everyone should get a greyhound