Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Vargatron posted:

The thing that really upset me was when I asked her "how do I know that there is an issue if I haven't received any feedback from my supervisor or end users that they were unhappy with my performance?". She responded with "you shouldn't expect users to provide feedback on tasks you haven't completed for them and you should be actively checking with them to get feedback". Okay, that's a completely valid point, but why are both me and my direct supervisor both saying that neither of us are hearing negative things about my performance? People are completely skipping my boss in the chain of command and are instead going directly to the director. Then she mentioned that I need to be telling my boss what I am working on, because when she asked him "what is Vargatron's day to day activity list like?", my boss couldn't give her an answer. If he's not asking me what I'm doing and isn't providing me any feedback, how is that my fault that he doesn't know what I'm doing?
gently caress the bolded imho. I'd get so loving canned if I needlessly bothered billable hour users for a pat on the back. Did she come from a SLA hell? My new AD who did has killed any job satisfaction which I"ve lamented on itt before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

She's a non IT director I doubt she considers the day to day requirements of the job. All she knows is that somebody is complaining to her so there must be some issue with IT service.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Vargatron posted:

Lol, this isn't that bad I don't think. I love working here. I've already addressed the major sticking points of our conversation and my boss and I are going to have regular talks to keep on top of things.

Your boss should have intercepted and murdered all this nonsense. You should never have even known this was a thing.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

AlternateAccount posted:

Your boss should have intercepted and murdered all this nonsense. You should never have even known this was a thing.

^ Your boss loving SUCKS at his Boss Responsibilities homeboy. Get that resume polished, start networking, spruce up your LinkedIn, and GTFO of that shithole. I don't care how nice it is, or the benefits, or the pay or whatever - the fact that this happened and you're a good enough person to have handled all of it as well as you did means you need to go somewhere better. Or at least different. Time to saddle up and take charge of your own career before the Director of MicroManagement does on your behalf.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

This is the correct answer. It should've been dealt with long before it reached you. If anything, there should've been a conversation between your boss and yourself *after* there had been a discussion between Director and Boss.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Vargatron posted:

Lol, this isn't that bad I don't think. I love working here. I've already addressed the major sticking points of our conversation and my boss and I are going to have regular talks to keep on top of things.

Yeah but if you're about to be living under a jerk director who doesn't like or trust you, and a boss who can't buffer between you and the director, you're not going to like working there for too much longer.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm giving things time to play out and dispel the perception. We are going to have a follow up where all three of us sit down in a few weeks and review. If things get that bad I will put in for a transfer.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Right now our only on-perm storage is a 6-year-old homebrew Solaris file server that anybody can upload to anonymously and is not backed up or managed in any real way.

Needless to say, I'm going to be replacing it ASAP. I'm going to talk with our VAR to see what our options are in terms of hardware, but I was curious what folks here have good experiences with. It seems like a lot of the storage vendors I've touched or heard good things about end up getting acquired (Nimble) or crashing and burning (Tintri) anyway.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Nimble was acquired but honestly, it's operating the same. Great support, infosight is great, price is the same. I would put it head to head against pure if I were looking today.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just make sure that whoever you pick, has somewhat local support. You don't want a tech coming from 14 hours away to replace a part.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

adorai posted:

Nimble was acquired but honestly, it's operating the same. Great support, infosight is great, price is the same. I would put it head to head against pure if I were looking today.

Operating the same, maybe, but when we talked to them in 2016 it was "sure no problem, here's some quotes for various options" within a day. Now it's all been slammed behind the HPE layer of bullshit, "talk to our HPE partner and we'll get the opportunity started" and so on, and "oh yeah the pricing is all on the website" except it's the usual HPE trick of listing every single part on the website in no particular order so that actually finding something useful or figuring out which parts you actually need to put even a spec quote together for yourself is pretty much impossible without spending hours on it.

So basically gently caress HPE, as per usual, and I'm sad to see Nimble go that way. One of the few times I'm impressed with Cisco as they didn't gently caress up (or at least haven't so far) in insisting Meraki's sales process become too much like them, though granted it's not necessarily easy as it is, but Cisco seems to have left them well enough alone.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

beepsandboops posted:

Right now our only on-perm storage is a 6-year-old homebrew Solaris file server that anybody can upload to anonymously and is not backed up or managed in any real way.

Needless to say, I'm going to be replacing it ASAP. I'm going to talk with our VAR to see what our options are in terms of hardware, but I was curious what folks here have good experiences with. It seems like a lot of the storage vendors I've touched or heard good things about end up getting acquired (Nimble) or crashing and burning (Tintri) anyway.

Pure Storage.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Pure Storage.

I actually just had lunch with the regional Pure rep, nice guy. Don't have anything I can use their product on right now, but it sure looks compelling on paper.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Operating the same, maybe, but when we talked to them in 2016 it was "sure no problem, here's some quotes for various options" within a day. Now it's all been slammed behind the HPE layer of bullshit, "talk to our HPE partner and we'll get the opportunity started" and so on, and "oh yeah the pricing is all on the website" except it's the usual HPE trick of listing every single part on the website in no particular order so that actually finding something useful or figuring out which parts you actually need to put even a spec quote together for yourself is pretty much impossible without spending hours on it.

So basically gently caress HPE, as per usual, and I'm sad to see Nimble go that way. One of the few times I'm impressed with Cisco as they didn't gently caress up (or at least haven't so far) in insisting Meraki's sales process become too much like them, though granted it's not necessarily easy as it is, but Cisco seems to have left them well enough alone.
My HPE storage guy, who used to be my nimble guy, turns a quote around in like 2 days still.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

HPE in general is just horrible with pricing/licenses.

I had to deal with them regularly and even their sales managers who got pretty amazing kickbakcs on everything they sold hadn’t got a clue which license belonged to which features.

So if I mailed them with “I need 200 licenses for feature x and 400 for feature y, tell me which license I need our procurement department to put ok the quote request” it always took weeks to get an anwser.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

LochNessMonster posted:

HPE in general is just horrible

Yesterday we were trying to update iLO and HP Server Administrator and were unable to download the software without logging into an account, which we are not able to do at the moment, as we have no creds, and are unable to add the server to our portal because it's already registered somewhere. This isn't the nuclear codes, this is server management software for a box we've already shown is under warranty.

Dell is so easy to work with, I wish it was all we did. HP seems to go out of their way to make everything, no matter how trivial, as difficult and opaque as possible. Sounds like it's the same even if you're trying to give them lots of money.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Sounds like it's the same even if you're trying to give them lots of money.

My team back then threw 1-5M a year at them and the company was somewhere around 30-50M.

Didn’t make a difference.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
getting kind of annoyed at cleaning up the messes of the guy who came before me

my poor non techie co-workers like "he told me that he couldn't connect the printer to my computer :saddowns:" and I'm like "maybe it's not on the same network" no it absolutely is on the same network and always has been. he was just being a lazy dick who didn't want to set it up for you

I mean I don't mind being paid to do easy poo poo but it's annoying he apparently let so much poo poo go just because he didn't want to do it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you let yourself get irritated at things you encounter that make no sense or were the result of someone being a lazy gently caress then you’re going to be wound up all the time.

Take the easy win that comes with it being a quick fix.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Does anybody have a good recommendation for a battery backup unit that can run a 65W laptop for approx 8 hours? This is just a standard UPC, nothing that needs to be mounted into a server rack or anything.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Vargatron posted:

She's a non IT director I doubt she considers the day to day requirements of the job. All she knows is that somebody is complaining to her so there must be some issue with IT service.

I have one of these. I used to be 2 doors down from the head of estates, so quite frequently things would get logged on their system not mine, therefore whatever it was would be top priority no matter what I was doing or what the job was.

The solution to that was I moved offices - out of sight, out of mind.

Her deputy is also a bit of a numpty - he is an empire builder who wants the top job, so he perceives himself as my boss. (I frequently tell him he isn't which he does not enjoy) so I got a new assistant recently who I notice the deputy dude has been telling my assistant he needs to do things the estates way (which does not work for IT)

I think my new guy has been here just under 2 months and I've already marched into deputy guys office 4 times to say "if you are going to try and impose a way of working on my staff, run it by me and don't tell them what to do without checking with me, we don't report to you, we don't work the way you do. you must check, consider us not doing that until we have further discussion as to why you think we should do that"

He will never change and I will forever have to have those conversations because he is a dinosaur. He will become a flipping nightmare if he ever gets the number 1 job, because he still wont be my boss but he will perceive himself to be (I report directly to Head of IT, and have a dotted line to the estates function in my place of work - we have multiple locations)

I said the other day, my issues are people not technology anymore :lol:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

angry armadillo posted:

I said the other day, my issues are people not technology anymore :lol:

My external narrative is that I like to solve challenging problems and that's why I got into software dev. Internally, that translates in part to "gently caress people problems, give me a computer." And yeah here come the goon jokes; I socialize just fine I just don't want to herd cats for a living.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Che Delilas posted:

My external narrative is that I like to solve challenging problems and that's why I got into software dev. Internally, that translates in part to "gently caress people problems, give me a computer." And yeah here come the goon jokes; I socialize just fine I just don't want to herd cats for a living.

I feel the exact same way, I didn't get into IT for the people.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

It's definitely partially why I did.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A good side effect of enabling 2FA on your accounts is that it puts enough of a barrier up to casually checking on work stuff to basically wean you off of it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Dell is so easy to work with, I wish it was all we did. HP seems to go out of their way to make everything, no matter how trivial, as difficult and opaque as possible. Sounds like it's the same even if you're trying to give them lots of money.

A guy I know who works at HPE says all their software and driver stuff requires a support contract now to discourage resale of HP kit on eBay.

No poo poo: HPE feels that the resale of HP servers on eBay for pennies on the dollar somehow threatens their bottom line. Like the guy buying a 7 year old ProLiant for his home lab is going to hit the support paywall when looking for drivers and will decide to plop down several thousand dollars for new kit instead? loving idiots. I recommend Dells for my moonlighting gig as a direct result of HP’s bullshit.

Inspector_666 posted:

I do it all for the nookie. Come on. The nookie.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 2, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Vargatron posted:

Does anybody have a good recommendation for a battery backup unit that can run a 65W laptop for approx 8 hours? This is just a standard UPC, nothing that needs to be mounted into a server rack or anything.

That's kind of a lot of time for battery backup. For example this APC 1500VA says it can do 100 Watts for 1 hr 18 minutes (assuming fresh batteries):
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0779LDRWZ/

Obviously the laptop has its own battery and that makes it hard to account for. You may also be risking the battery lifespan in an UPS if this is a frequent activity since the 12v sealed lead acid batteries aren't really meant for deep cycle.

There are lipo battery units like this that would probably be more than enough, but they're fairly pricey since they seem to just be a big bank of cells with an inverter, charger, solar panel BMS, etc:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07CRQX9KW/

There are likely other options depending on your use case, from small generators to solar panels with battery management systems, but for a basic UPS you'd be looking at something huge if you needed 65 Watts constantly.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Rexxed posted:

That's kind of a lot of time for battery backup. For example this APC 1500VA says it can do 100 Watts for 1 hr 18 minutes (assuming fresh batteries):
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0779LDRWZ/

Obviously the laptop has its own battery and that makes it hard to account for. You may also be risking the battery lifespan in an UPS if this is a frequent activity since the 12v sealed lead acid batteries aren't really meant for deep cycle.

There are lipo battery units like this that would probably be more than enough, but they're fairly pricey since they seem to just be a big bank of cells with an inverter, charger, solar panel BMS, etc:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07CRQX9KW/

There are likely other options depending on your use case, from small generators to solar panels with battery management systems, but for a basic UPS you'd be looking at something huge if you needed 65 Watts constantly.

Thanks for this. There's a user wanting to run test programs which apparently take 30-60 days to run. He asked for a battery backup and a laptop to try and mitigate any power outage that might occur. I had found a APC battery backup for like $1100, but they probably won't go for that.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

30-60 days? I'd be more worried about the loving thing rebooting because of patches or possibly bursting into flames

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Lol, I know. Just going based on the requirements the guy sent to me. I made sure he was aware of all the points of failure, but if he wants the hardware, it's his budget.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
The Surface Go...is good.........

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The APC Smart-UPS BR1500G with an extra power pack claims a little over 5 hour run time on a 100W load, and it's about $250 for the device plus another $150 for the extra battery.

Also if you're getting the 65W off the power brick, that's just the maximum rating of the power supply and the usual load is likely way less.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 2, 2018

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You want to log actual power usage before landing on a specific solution.

And I'd probably look at a DC ups solution since the power draw is so low, using lifepo4 or li-ion batteries. There are more or less ready made packages for this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have a look at the Dell Edge Gateway range of computers, the power module can have a battery connected to it and it's going to be more efficient than running battery power through an inverter and then converting it back to DC.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

All of these practical solutions are terrible. That developer needs a Tesla power wall.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Just get one of the grad students to pedal a dynamo. That'll work.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
UPS with 8 LiPo batteries daisy chained together and feeding the laptop's power cord.

Flawless.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Collateral Damage posted:

The APC Smart-UPS BR1500G with an extra power pack claims a little over 5 hour run time on a 100W load, and it's about $250 for the device plus another $150 for the extra battery.

Also if you're getting the 65W off the power brick, that's just the maximum rating of the power supply and the usual load is likely way less.

Be aware though that particular unit with the expansion pack is a really rough modified sine wave, and modern PSUs (read: no 110/220 switch on the back) will really screw up and run ultra hot if they don't get pure sine wave.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

Thanks for this. There's a user wanting to run test programs which apparently take 30-60 days to run. He asked for a battery backup and a laptop to try and mitigate any power outage that might occur. I had found a APC battery backup for like $1100, but they probably won't go for that.
Isn’t long, intense computation exactly why research clusters and other server-grade hardware exists? Is the guy just not using the right tools for his job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
If I wanted to work with people, I would just go into sales and make more money.