Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Got any brothers?

With updated drivers, computers are also compatible with girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Casual note, looking through the Zen+ article.... can I just note, how weirdly short the most-recent product stack is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen%2B

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's great! An enthusiast can literally use the lowest end Ryzen for just about anything. If one wants to spend more, there are options!

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Since b450 was officially released today we should start seeing some 2300x and 2500x reviews popping up.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
they've been fire-selling the 1st gen chips for months, anyone interested in a cheap ryzen system should have one by now

are they gonna make the integrated GPU ones on 12nm?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Klyith posted:

are they gonna make the integrated GPU ones on 12nm?

I'm also interested in this, if not a Zen 2 APU. I'd like to upgrade my 2200G to a six-core dealio.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Earlier roadmaps had APUs on a similar cadence as HEDT but with how seemingly close 7nm is, I could see them skipping 12nm APUs entirely.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There are 12nm APUs on the roadmap, called Picasso. It won't be coming until 2019.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
THUNDERBOLT ON THREADRIPPER?! It might be more likely than you think!

Deliberately clickbait title aside, turns out with some firmware tweaking and kernel tweaking, Level 1 Techs got a TB card working on Threadripper.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

THUNDERBOLT ON THREADRIPPER?! It might be more likely than you think!

Deliberately clickbait title aside, turns out with some firmware tweaking and kernel tweaking, Level 1 Techs got a TB card working on Threadripper.

Wait, Thunderbolt is better on AMD because it communicates directly over PCIE to the CPU, rather than going through the DMI interface like Intel? Lmfao

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Wait, Thunderbolt is better on AMD because it communicates directly over PCIE to the CPU, rather than going through the DMI interface like Intel? Lmfao

If you use that same card on an intel system in one of the CPU driven PCIe slots (generally the two slots marked for graphics), it will have the same speed. The issue is that the motherboards with TB controllers built in hang them off of the South Bridge, like all the rest of Intel's storage. I guess if you do some crazy multi NVMe setup that might be a problem, but realistically it will never come up for actual humans.

Its also worth noting that one of the reason Intel does that is the south bridge is actually doing the HDCP work that the lovely cable companies demanded. When the rumors that AMD was going to get TB came up a while back, someone mentioned that HDCP was the stumbling block for AMD. I dont remember why though.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cygni posted:

If you use that same card on an intel system in one of the CPU driven PCIe slots (generally the two slots marked for graphics), it will have the same speed. The issue is that the motherboards with TB controllers built in hang them off of the South Bridge, like all the rest of Intel's storage. I guess if you do some crazy multi NVMe setup that might be a problem, but realistically it will never come up for actual humans.

Its also worth noting that one of the reason Intel does that is the south bridge is actually doing the HDCP work that the lovely cable companies demanded. When the rumors that AMD was going to get TB came up a while back, someone mentioned that HDCP was the stumbling block for AMD. I dont remember why though.

:lol: HDCP, lets make legal media consumption a lovely experience and then whine about why no one wants it

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Palladium posted:

:lol: HDCP, lets make legal media consumption a lovely experience and then whine about why no one wants it

Piracy has dropped not because MPAA / RIAA, it's because things like Spotify, Netflix, and Steam. I mean what anti-piracy organization is there for games? I guess most games are also online now making it extremely difficult to pirate them but still piracy is way down to what it was in the early 2000s when DRM was at it's shittiest.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

HDCP is one of those anti-piracy technologies that is always getting in the way of legitimate use and is never a problem if you're actually intending to pirate things.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

pixaal posted:

Piracy has dropped not because MPAA / RIAA, it's because things like Spotify, Netflix, and Steam. I mean what anti-piracy organization is there for games? I guess most games are also online now making it extremely difficult to pirate them but still piracy is way down to what it was in the early 2000s when DRM was at it's shittiest.

Piracy is down because of the freemium game model lets potential pirates play the game for 15 minutes then move on (which was the typical pattern anyway); and the whales now support all that. Same reason loot boxes and such.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

SwissCM posted:

HDCP is one of those anti-piracy technologies that is always getting in the way of legitimate use and is never a problem if you're actually intending to pirate things.
Yea, like Netflix requiring a Kaby Lake+ CPU for 4K, because copy protection, yet I'm seeing 4K releases of Netflix content on torrent sites pretty much as the stuff gets released.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
4K content keys actually took a little while to get leaked, I was getting a bit impressed :v:

Of course, now that ring -2 on unpatched intel cpus is exploitable, you can probably just find and dump any current and future keys, lol

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Game piracy is still plenty there, I just can’t prove it to you without getting banned. It’s actually stronger than ever since Nintendo isn’t tech savvy enough to build a secure system like the big two do, so people with modded systems download titles from their online storefront directly.

The thing is that poo poo that talks to servers to do basically anything won’t get pirated. This means Overwatch, Destiny, The Division, CSGO, The Crew 2, etc. This could be one contributing business reason behind the “everything is going to be Destiny soon and I hate this” punditry you saw when EA shut down Visceral and cancelled a Star Wars title of all things because it’s single player, narrative focused design was deemed not in the right direction.

Publishers of games that can be beaten offline keep adding more and more copy protection, but it’s also gotten to the point where you see legitimate owners bitching about the overhead. It rendered Assassin’s Creed Origins unplayable on less than 8 threads.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

Publishers of games that can be beaten offline keep adding more and more copy protection, but it’s also gotten to the point where you see legitimate owners bitching about the overhead. It rendered Assassin’s Creed Origins unplayable on less than 8 threads.

I'm going to argue people should keep stealing games that do this until they take a hint or stop making them. I've been arguing it since the early 00s when copyprotection literally broke people's hardware on a few occasions lol.

Then again the only high budget games I've played in the last ~10 years are also online ones I can play with friends, and those don't need DRM since you log into their servers to play in the first place like you said.

Also I don't think talking about jailbreaks gets you banned on SA.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Its from SA so keep that salt handy but its starting to sound like Intel's 10nm may not ever be as good as TSMC or GF 7nm even if it does launch in volume at the newly announced date.

To me this gives a little more weight to the rumors that their 10nm process will be short lived and that Intel is trying to speed up development and launch of their 7nm process but rebrand it as 5nm or possibly even 3nm.

Either which way it'll be drat interesting to see how this all pans out for AMD.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lol

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Customs and TSA are going to love that.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

:swoon:

Threadripper keeps getting better and better somehow.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Eventually the retail packaging will bloat to the size of a monster truck.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Save $20 with new cringe-free packaging.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Does anyone even look at the package a CPU comes in when deciding on what CPU to get? I feel everything would be a pre-built system or someone building one themselves. If you are building, you are probably buying online, or are buying a specific chip. You don't just go to a store and pick out a CPU.

I could see buying a replacement part from a shelf and not knowing any model at the store, but you are likely locked into a socket, and at that point it doesn't matter what the box looks like.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
It gets people talking. Look, it's working right now

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

gyotdayum that looks absolutely evil. like pyrophoric plutonium.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pixaal posted:

Does anyone even look at the package a CPU comes in when deciding on what CPU to get? I feel everything would be a pre-built system or someone building one themselves. If you are building, you are probably buying online, or are buying a specific chip. You don't just go to a store and pick out a CPU.

I could see buying a replacement part from a shelf and not knowing any model at the store, but you are likely locked into a socket, and at that point it doesn't matter what the box looks like.

If I was spending $1000+ on a CPU then yes I would enjoy a fancy box. I would not display the box on a shelf or anything, but it would make taking it out of the box into an event.

Seamonster posted:

gyotdayum that looks absolutely evil. like pyrophoric plutonium.

It won't look like that IRL unless you shine a light through it just so

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

TR3 will come a styrofoam and plastic replica of Jim Keller.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Seamonster posted:

pyrophoric plutonium.

I googled that, and ended up on a Quora page discussing what happens when you snort plutonium.
Thread delivered.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I googled that, and ended up on a Quora page discussing what happens when you snort plutonium.
Thread delivered.

What does happen if you insufflate Pu?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

They're saying that if it's in a metallic form, the face will swell up and catch on fire, then the head explodes. Which is a dope way to go in my opinion.

Shame you'd need so much for critical mass.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 2, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So next year’s Threadripper will be packaged in old first generation Xbox cases.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pixaal posted:

Piracy of music and video is still huge its just that it takes the form of watching stuff on like YouTube and not caring whether the video was properly licensed.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Craptacular! posted:

So next year’s Threadripper will be packaged in old first generation Xbox cases.

xbox huge joke? did I take a wrong turn and end up in 2002? is george w in the white house? where's my athlon xp at?

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Rexxed posted:

Save $20 with new cringe-free packaging.

that packaging is art and you will be silent

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I remember reading about the first overkill packaging for the threadripper and some guy at AMD being upset at the idea that adding a light inside would delay release too much. Shine on AMD dude.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Nine of Eight posted:

I remember reading about the first overkill packaging for the threadripper and some guy at AMD being upset at the idea that adding a light inside would delay release too much. Shine on AMD dude.
Like one of those children's toys. "Touch me, I light up and rip threads."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
This is slightly out of left field: AMD Creates Quad Core Zen SoC with 24 Vega CUs for Chinese Consoles. It features SMT and uses GDDR5 memory like the PS4 and Xbox One X.