Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:d2a:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DACK FAYDEN posted:

and while I know this is just a fuckup in this specific instance I would love to deliberately use that to deceive at some point

You think that was accidental?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

someone raised the point that this makes it look like he's a winner cause bigger bar

and people like to vote for winners

and while I know this is just a fuckup in this specific instance I would love to deliberately use that to deceive at some point

Oh you sweet summer child.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1025110886774697985

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

seriously there ought to be fines for obviously wrong graphs/charts like that

put it at something like respondees? x largest wrongly applied percentage point (ie 1000 respondees x 51 percentage points = 51000) x some constant

basically gdpr style fines but for terrible graphs

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Or it’s just a mistake. It’s clearly in “typo” category.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

It's a pepsi logo of lies

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Yet you still Stan for them

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Usually I wouldn't care about this kind of thing, but it's happening within a wider debate about the 'right' level of immigration and this makes it look like they have an agenda.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I like that they are ignoring the fact that 99% of Australian immigration from 1907 to the 1990s was white people invading my homeland, and yet all of the people in the picture are brown. :colbert:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

That’s a hosed up x-axis, for sure

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

From the Qanon thread

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m the solar eclipse.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Looks legit to me.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Man are these conspiracy theorists going to be disappointed when they find out that the real power controlling the world is just regular rich people, and not a secret, additional layer of spookier rich people that includes [consults giant schizophrenia chart] Dracula

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Red Bones posted:

Man are these conspiracy theorists going to be disappointed when they find out that the real power controlling the world is just regular rich people, and not a secret, additional layer of spookier rich people that includes [consults giant schizophrenia chart] Dracula

Well the thing about conspiracy theorists is that they derive some level of self-satisfaction from having "secret knowledge". So the fact that real conspiracies actually exist in plain sight doesn't matter because knowing about them doesn't mean you're part of some special in-group. This is why no matter how much is known about boring old price-fixing schemes or whatever they'll always insist there's some extra behind the scenes figure pulling the strings even though that layer is unnecessary to explain the observed actions.

The Cheshire Cat has a new favorite as of 20:56 on Aug 6, 2018

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
FYI Lot of people are thinking QAnon is a big hoax aimed at older alt-right people to gently caress with them. 4chan are trying to claim it as theirs but it’s more likely the brainchild of two Italian guys who have done this kind of thing before.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
how hilarious, they whipped the hordes of sponge-brained quasi-human monsters into frenzy ironically

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think we've proven over the last few years that it doesn't matter if something starts ironically if the effect ends up being the same

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s all fun and games until the first armed stand off with the police - which has happened twice with Qanon people now.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I wonder when the first QAnon is gonna do something like fail to do terrorism on like, say, a federal reserve building

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

All we need to do is get the QAnons to fight the Sovereign Citizens. No matter who loses, we all win!

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
There's no way anything posted on 4chan was targeting an older crowd. Unless by older you mean 30s

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh it’s just 4chan taking credit, it was going to be one of those books where they pretend to uncover some super secret and elaborate conspires, this time about about illuminati peadophilia rings, and find evidence on the internet and whatnot with the big “lol jk look how gullible these people are” at the end, but it seems to have backfired on them spectacularly because they massively underestimated the sheer lunacy of the alt right.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

learnincurve posted:

Yeh it’s just 4chan taking credit, it was going to be one of those books where they pretend to uncover some super secret and elaborate conspires, this time about about illuminati peadophilia rings, and find evidence on the internet and whatnot with the big “lol jk look how gullible these people are” at the end, but it seems to have backfired on them spectacularly because they massively underestimated the sheer lunacy of the alt right.

At this point the originators could provide undeniable proof they made it all up and they'd be jeered down as misinformation to discredit QAnon by the 'real' enemies of QAnon (Who are the knights Templar, obviously). A snowball of lie and misinformation.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Outrail posted:

At this point the originators could provide undeniable proof they made it all up and they'd be jeered down as misinformation to discredit QAnon by the 'real' enemies of QAnon (Who are the knights Templar, obviously). A snowball of lie and misinformation.

Rosicrucians

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wait what the gently caress is QAnon, I must have missed something

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phlegmish posted:

There’s some guy who claims to have Q clearance (read “TOP SECRET”) and posts fanfiction on 4chan. His followers call themselves “The Storm”.

He’s made like two thousand cryptic posts. One of the major plot points is that Mueller is actually working with Trump to bring down the DEEP STATE.

There are deranged idiots out there who hang on his every word.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Platystemon posted:

There’s some guy who claims to have Q clearance (read “TOP SECRET”) and posts fanfiction on 4chan. His followers call themselves “The Storm”.

He’s made like two thousand cryptic posts. One of the major plot points is that Mueller is actually working with Trump to bring down the DEEP STATE.

There are deranged idiots out there who hang on his every word.

How do they know it's the same guy every time?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sininu posted:

How do they know it's the same guy every time?

Cryptography.

He has a “tripcode”.

He enters a password known only to him and a distinctive string of characters attaches to his post.

It’s a one way process, so you can’t work backwards from the code to get the password. Without the password, you can’t get the code next to your own posts and impersonate Q.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So he's verrit for white trash

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3852601

It's basically mainline crazy but current events being what they are of course it's been making its way into mainstream consciousness.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/probirdrights/status/1016801775913857025?s=21

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Cryptography.

He has a “tripcode”.

He enters a password known only to him and a distinctive string of characters attaches to his post.

It’s a one way process, so you can’t work backwards from the code to get the password. Without the password, you can’t get the code next to your own posts and impersonate Q.

To wish for the good ol days of 2007 (or whenever they were implemented like I remember) when anyone with a trip code was met with derision and mockery

Including moot

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Cryptography.

He has a “tripcode”.

Though hasn't someone broken Q's tripcode on at least one and possible more than one occasion now?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Aramoro posted:

Though hasn't someone broken Q's tripcode on at least one and possible more than one occasion now?

Yes.

Following all the twists and turns is a good way to lose brain cells, but everyone should go read the first page of that thread for laughs.

Q’s first password was “Matlock”. :wow:

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 11:54 on Aug 7, 2018

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Phlegmish posted:

The Pizzagate Extended Universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Q’s first password was “Matlock”. :wow:
Wow, did people just run a dictionary attack or something? Or hell, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody's already produced a rainbow table for 4chan tripcodes.