Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

frankenfreak posted:

Oh, we're past "work for exposure" now, good to know.

Don't all photographers work for that anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Funny yet insightful! +5.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

mobby_6kl posted:

Don't all photographers work for that anyway?

:golfclap:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They had a large barge with a radio antenna tower on it that they would charge up and discharge

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

"We've also developed the semi-semi-log scale, where the Y-axis for the left half of the graph is a log scale but on the right half it isn't."

Source is xkcd of course.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Carbon dioxide posted:

"We've also developed the semi-semi-log scale, where the Y-axis for the left half of the graph is a log scale but on the right half it isn't."

Source is xkcd of course.

I implemented that in D3 (under the assumption that there's a bezier transition from "normal" to "compressed" ticks) and it gets even more devious when stuff moves into and out of the region of focus

e: example:

Tree Goat has a new favorite as of 05:39 on Jul 24, 2018

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Tree Goat posted:

I implemented that in D3 (under the assumption that there's a bezier transition from "normal" to "compressed" ticks) and it gets even more devious when stuff moves into and out of the region of focus

*quietly bookmarks page for future client presentations*

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Tree Goat posted:

get a load of this rube, only using two scales

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Angepain posted:

get a load of this rube, only using two scales

I feels likes I shoulds be offended by this.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I'm choosing to ignore the factual error in favor of believing I am the second best poster itt because I would rather have the data reinforce that. It's easy!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Otherwise you're just better than Angepain, the lowest bar possible

e: I mean the numbers speak for themselves

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Stolen from this thread. More in the link, but it's variations on a theme:

https://twitter.com/familyunequal/status/1021798024216043521

"The United States does not have more forest area than the entire world (p. 367)"

"The average worker in the world is not working 0 hours per year (361)"

"Global life expectancy at birth was not almost zero in 1960 (369)"

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Goon Danton posted:

"Global life expectancy at birth was not almost zero in 1960 (369)"

That time that trillions of stillborn babies happened is one of the most underreported tragedies of the 20th century.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Word for World is United States.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Something that will bring down the American president vs. something that has no impact on most Americans

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol if you think something that happened five thousand years ago will have an effect on the american president

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That time that trillions of stillborn babies happened is one of the most underreported tragedies of the 20th century.

I think people back then considered sperm to be people, that’s why the average is so hosed up

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Krankenstyle posted:

lol if you think something that happened five thousand years ago will have an effect on the american president

Two thousand.

MSNBC’s coverage was in A.D. 17 – A.D. 18

This also explains why they had no coverage of the war in Yemen.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Platystemon posted:

Two thousand.

Great googely moogley

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Two thousand.

This post cannot be proven wrong with the data provided.

We rate this claim Mostly True

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1023724147191345152

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Platystemon posted:

Something that will bring down the American president vs. something that has no impact on most Americans

Ah yes, I forgot that American wars have no impact on Americans

Also your country is supposed to be a democracy, so yes, it SHOULD be having an impact on the people even on top of the material cost of war, on account they are the ones responsible for steering their government. If that is not factually true, it only supports the point the chart is making.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

steinrokkan posted:

Ah yes, I forgot that American wars have no impact on Americans
It's not an American war in any meaningful sense. Our involvement is primarily one of intelligence-sharing and refueling of Saudi planes, with recent revelations that we've also sent a dozen Green Berets to the Saudi side of the border to help train their troops. There are no Americans fighting or flying against the Houthis, so calling it a US war is inappropriate.

This is not to say that our involvement is okay, of course. The Saudis are terrible, and we shouldn't be helping them with anything. But that's on general principle - the impact on Americans here is genuinely minimal.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Strudel Man posted:

This is not to say that our involvement is okay, of course. The Saudis are terrible, and we shouldn't be helping them with anything. But that's on general principle - the impact on Americans here is genuinely minimal.

Given that the Houthi flag literally reads "Death to the U.S" it's probably going to be difficult to get any Americans all that excited by either side. One side has starving children and wants to murder America, the other side is Saudi Arabia.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Strudel Man posted:

It's not an American war in any meaningful sense. Our involvement is primarily one of intelligence-sharing and refueling of Saudi planes, with recent revelations that we've also sent a dozen Green Berets to the Saudi side of the border to help train their troops. There are no Americans fighting or flying against the Houthis, so calling it a US war is inappropriate.

You are providing all the weapons used in the war. All the bombs are stamped made in the US, and the Houthis are literally stockpiling unexploded ordnance with US markings to show the people of Yemen that they are at war with America. Which they effectively are, through a proxy state. Just this month PBS correspondent Jane Ferguson returned from a secret trip to North Yemen, and her conclusion given in interviews was pretty much that materially, this was entirely an American war.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Jul 31, 2018

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Bates posted:

Given that the Houthi flag literally reads "Death to the U.S" it's probably going to be difficult to get any Americans all that excited by either side. One side has starving children and wants to murder America, the other side is Saudi Arabia.
Hah, wow. I had no idea.

quote:

الله أكبر
Allahu akbar
Allah is the Greatest

الموت لأمريكا
al-mawt li-Amrīka
Death to America

الموت لإسرائيل
al-mawt li-Isrāʾīl
Death to Israel

اللعنة على اليهود
al-laʿna ʿalā 'l-Yahūd
A curse upon the Jews

النصر للإسلام
an-naṣr lil-Islām
Victory to Islam
Charming.

steinrokkan posted:

You are providing all the weapons used in the war. All the bombs are stamped made in the US, and the Houthis are literally stockpiling unexploded ordnance with US markings to show the people of Yemen that they are at war with America. Which they effectively are, through a proxy state. Just this month PBS correspondent Jane Ferguson returned from a secret trip to North Yemen, and her conclusion given in interviews was pretty much that materially, this was entirely an American war.
Saudi Arabia buying American-made bombs doesn't make it a US war when they drop them. Particularly in the sense you were talking about, that an American war affects American lives.

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 00:08 on Aug 1, 2018

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Bates posted:

Given that the Houthi flag literally reads "Death to the U.S" it's probably going to be difficult to get any Americans all that excited by either side.

As an american, I am super excited about death to america

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Third World Reggin posted:

As an american, I am super excited about death to america

But how do you feel about “A curse upon the Jews”?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Platystemon posted:

I assume he's a little excited about the death of American Jews....

....um... I assume he meant that in a non-antisemitic way?

What the gently caress is wrong with you Platystemon?!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Platystemon posted:

With like, their entire history, are we sure they aren't already cursed?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Platystemon posted:

Seems pretty lenient, since America is just going to loving die.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

kazil posted:

With like, their entire history, are we sure they aren't already cursed?

I think they prefer the term 'chosen'

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Hey I laughed at this one :shobon:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Shamelessly stolen from the funny pictures thread:

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I'm the down arrows next to TOP RATED

| TOP RATED|
V °°°°°°°°°°°° V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

vyelkin posted:

Shamelessly stolen from the funny pictures thread:

someone raised the point that this makes it look like he's a winner cause bigger bar

and people like to vote for winners

and while I know this is just a fuckup in this specific instance I would love to deliberately use that to deceive at some point