Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

I don't know why but being able to put Tekken characters in just regular rear end jeans and a t shirt is funny to me. It's so antithetical to fighting game character design so you gotta do it.

The melty blood cast is just a bunch of people wearing sweatpants and white Tees. It's hard to even recognize characters at a glance for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Mai is hot and it’s making me horny

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm not convinced there are any snk character designs I like but Mai isn't a standout offender or anything
heres my favorite

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
who, statistically, is the Worst fighting game character

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

man nurse posted:

Mai is hot and it’s making me horny

pull up thread

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dan

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm not convinced there are any snk character designs I like but Mai isn't a standout offender or anything

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

King and Janne imho

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I feel like it doesn't really count what gender the creator of the character is when their designs are clearly influenced by the culture of male gaze and so that's what the design ends up being regardless of if the artist has a vagina or a penis

That's my thoughts thanks for reading have a good day bye bye

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

idk if you mean design-wise, gameplay-wise, or writing-wise, but the answer is twelve

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

The Colonel posted:

Has Rock ever been good?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I think another artist could make that design look good but her sprite isn't doing the idea justice, sorry

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

Glass Joe

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Endorph posted:

so not mai

Oh was it just one guy?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

idk if you mean design-wise, gameplay-wise, or writing-wise, but the answer is twelve

writing-wise

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Colonel posted:

Definitely a Soul Calibur character.

As for best, the Skeleton from Killer Instinct.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Has Rock ever been good?

I'm not a Garou expert, but I don't think he's bad.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

heres my favorite

she's cute but has bad fashion sense

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

chumbler posted:

I'm not a Garou expert, but I don't think he's bad.

Sorry, the Soul Calibur one

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

The Tekken Bears

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I feel like it doesn't really count what gender the creator of the character is when their designs are clearly influenced by the culture of male gaze and so that's what the design ends up being regardless of if the artist has a vagina or a penis

That's my thoughts thanks for reading have a good day bye bye
IMO I don't think you can't criticize a work for being 'male gaze-y' even if it's by a female artist but a lot of the language and the way people talk about these things acts as if it's either men exclusively or women being told to do by men but a lot of these designs are by women who just like drawing sexy ladies, and if you think that's not a great look that's totally valid but like, does that still qualify as male gaze? does it matter how it's depicted? who the target audience is?

mai specifically won a ton of popularity polls for female snk fans in the 90s and didnt even rank in the ones for male fans. the most popular girl with male snk fans was nakoruru.

if you put thsoe two designs next to each other to someone unitiated they'd label mai as 'male gaze-y' and nakoruru as a badass good design that'd appeal to both genders, but nakoruru is the character they made seventeen self-insert dating sims about and sold tons of merch of, and mai is the character women liked. does that still make mai designed with the male gaze in mind or a character that only exists for the male gaze and nakoruru a character completely free of it?

im not saying theres right or wrong answers to these questions, even, just these are questions people don't even tend to ask and I wish they did because it'd be a much more interesting, productive conversation than just designating designs as good or bad based on their titty quotient.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SC4 Yoda is probably the biggest mistake.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Sorry, the Soul Calibur one

BANGOOOOOOOOO

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That loving bird

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
"Skeevy" is a very loosely defined word but, to me, it means a character that is obviously catering to the male gaze, regardless of the reasoning why. Let me be clear that I'm not being a puritan about this; I think there's room in the world for all types including chicks with huge knockers and the dorks who love them. But you have a character who's a horn dog and styled after female assassins who use their sensuality as a weapon, and that's a great excuse to have a character put herself in alluring poses and be modeled with a heaving bosom. She can be a strong character who owns her sexuality and still be a little skeevy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

writing-wise
i really hate tira from soul calibur because shes just a harley quinn expy who goes around cackling and being vaguely bisexual but not in a fun way, just in a creepy way, and its been like 3 games of her and i still dont get what her motivations are or where she even came from

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I wish I looked cool as a fighting game character. Even your walk animations get to look cool.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

IMO I don't think you can't criticize a work for being 'male gaze-y' even if it's by a female artist but a lot of the language and the way people talk about these things acts as if it's either men exclusively or women being told to do by men but a lot of these designs are by women who just like drawing sexy ladies, and if you think that's not a great look that's totally valid but like, does that still qualify as male gaze? does it matter how it's depicted? who the target audience is?

mai specifically won a ton of popularity polls for female snk fans in the 90s and didnt even rank in the ones for male fans. the most popular girl with male snk fans was nakoruru.

if you put thsoe two designs next to each other to someone unitiated they'd label mai as 'male gaze-y' and nakoruru as a badass good design that'd appeal to both genders, but nakoruru is the character they made seventeen self-insert dating sims about and sold tons of merch of, and mai is the character women liked. does that still make mai designed with the male gaze in mind or a character that only exists for the male gaze and nakoruru a character completely free of it?

im not saying theres right or wrong answers to these questions, even, just these are questions people don't even tend to ask and I wish they did because it'd be a much more interesting, productive conversation than just designating designs as good or bad based on their titty quotient.

There are dating sims based on SNK characters?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Andrast posted:

There dating sims based on SNK characters?

yeah, there are some otome games when you can date kof boys too

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Andrast posted:

There dating sims based on SNK characters?
yeah they made a freaking shitload. otome games too.

http://snk.wikia.com/wiki/Days_of_Memories

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

They probably didn't make ones where Mature and Vice step on you, the cowards.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its cool how that one character in Melty Blood points their hand in a cool way when they walk backwards. But if I did it in real life i would look like a dork. Reality is sad.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I found an snk design I like thanks

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

chumbler posted:

SC4 Yoda is probably the biggest mistake.

they should have had frank oz puppeteering him the whole time

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

Its cool how that one character in Melty Blood points their hand in a cool way when they walk backwards. But if I did it in real life i would look like a dork. Reality is sad.
i knew a guy who wanted a trenchcoat because of nrvnqsr chaos

cheetah7071 posted:

I found an snk design I like thanks
if were talking the ainu characters i prefer rera

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I just like nakoruru because she has a cool bird

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

i knew a guy who wanted a trenchcoat because of nrvnqsr chaos

if were talking the ainu characters i prefer rera

She's good too maybe it's just king of fighters I don't like

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

She's good too maybe it's just king of fighters I don't like

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Finally got the PS2 wired up so I can play Drakengard in (simulated) surround sound with component video. The most important part of a nice surround sound system is being able to experience an old game about being awful people doing awful things so clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Her shorts are kinda dumb but I like the rest

• Locked thread