Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
way to fall for the marketing stunt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mors Rattus posted:

If that dude did get hosed up, I wanna buy the games of whoever did it.

His idea of 'hosed up' is, per his video, a button missing from his shirt and a line on his arm where his sleeve chafed him.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So it turns out the Pathfinder 2e playtest is an actual playtest, not just a marketing puff piece. There are explicit directions to try to break the game over your knee, to take notes on when it doesn't work and how, and Paizo is doing directed surveys about actual play experiences. The corresponding adventure book they put out is a series of short adventures that largely test specific weak points of the rules (like "what happens if the usual idea of an adventuring day and resource depletion doesn't exist"). There's an actual organized playtest community they're setting up with specific timelines for playtesting and so on. This is gonna be interesting.

It of course depends upon what they do with the data they get, but the basic idea is real good.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Really excited for the innovation that Paizo can bring to the Pathfinder franchise in mechanics and setting!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Arivia posted:

So it turns out the Pathfinder 2e playtest is an actual playtest, not just a marketing puff piece. There are explicit directions to try to break the game over your knee, to take notes on when it doesn't work and how, and Paizo is doing directed surveys about actual play experiences. The corresponding adventure book they put out is a series of short adventures that largely test specific weak points of the rules (like "what happens if the usual idea of an adventuring day and resource depletion doesn't exist"). There's an actual organized playtest community they're setting up with specific timelines for playtesting and so on. This is gonna be interesting.

It of course depends upon what they do with the data they get, but the basic idea is real good.

They're still charging 60 bucks for the Beta rules.... and selling a $90 collectors edition of the beta rules.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kurieg posted:

They're still charging 60 bucks for the Beta rules.... and selling a $90 collectors edition of the beta rules.

No they're not. The PDFs are free. There's printed versions should you want, but they're happy to have you just download the PDF versions and participate in the playtest with those.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Liquid Communism posted:

His idea of 'hosed up' is, per his video, a button missing from his shirt and a line on his arm where his sleeve chafed him.

Oh.

That's...yeah, that's not even a thing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Arivia posted:

No they're not. The PDFs are free. There's printed versions should you want, but they're happy to have you just download the PDF versions and participate in the playtest with those.
People on this forum also regularly complain about companies being unwilling to update material that's been published without a full re-release - you can't have it both ways. It costs money to write and publish even a "beta" book.

I kinda doubt pathfinder 2.0 is in the future I'm looking toward but it's not unreasonable at all to sell as-is print copies at every stage of development.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Also the prices are wrong - MSRP is $30 USD for the softcover, $45 for hardcover, and $60 for deluxe. Given the page count the costs for the softcover and hardcover versions are pretty reasonable.

The deluxe version is a bit sketchy though, an extra $15 bucks over the normal hardcover for embossed faux leather is pretty bad.

EDIT: I wouldn't personally gently caress around with a hardcover version of a playtest document, whatever the production values, but the $15 increase from soft to hard cover is right in line with the production cost increase for a book that size.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 2, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Kurieg might have been including the 30 for Doomsday Dawn, the adventure? Maybe? IDK.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Maybe. The $25 for the softcover there is higher than it needs to be, though not hugely.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A lower production run also drives up per-unit prices.

e. And frankly $60 ought to be the starting point for a basic RPG book, given how terribly most RPG contributors are paid. Probably more than that.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 2, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Arivia posted:

Kurieg might have been including the 30 for Doomsday Dawn, the adventure? Maybe? IDK.

Those are the prices my friend who's at Gencon was told?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Those are the prices my friend who's at Gencon was told?

Wouldn't surprised if there's limited supply (maybe none of the digest softcovers) or gouging issues there. The physical copies are also available at your FLGS, Amazon, etc at the actual prices. Your friend isn't reflective of the playtest in general anyway.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 2, 2018

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Arivia posted:

I wasn't paying close attention, but today at Gen Con it looked like some rando was going up and down the line telling people about the free .pdfs. A bunch of people shrugged and left the line. The sales guy looked increasingly annoyed.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I was already looking at Expancity but now I'm definitely going to buy it on principle.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Chud's now advertising a t-shirt. Yeah. Definitely not staged.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

This is 100% perfect as a marketing tool and I recommend any progressive folks trying to sell games should pair up with an alt-right guy trying to sell games and pretend to beat them up so you can both profit.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Trustworthy posted:

A bunch of people shrugged and left the line. The sales guy looked increasingly annoyed.

There's no way they aren't going to completely sell out. It's basically a badge that shows you're an early adopter, and that you'll "put your money where your mouth is" when it comes to supporting Paizo.

I realize that's broke-brain consumerism gone wild, but it's worked before.

Although this time around it might not have as much appeal. The first one was largely driven by 4e backlash, and there's no social force pushing PF2.0.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This is 100% perfect as a marketing tool and I recommend any progressive folks trying to sell games should pair up with an alt-right guy trying to sell games and pretend to beat them up so you can both profit.

Culture War Kabuki being just a front for selling merch ftmfw

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Liquid Communism posted:

Chud's now advertising a t-shirt. Yeah. Definitely not staged.

You mean the Expancity guy colluded with the chud?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Subjunctive posted:

You mean the Expancity guy colluded with the chud?

I don't think that's necessary. It's not that hard to get beaten up if you actually want to and aren't particular about who does it, especially if your standard for "I've been beaten up" is super low.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't think that's necessary. It's not that hard to get beaten up if you actually want to and aren't particular about who does it, especially if your standard for "I've been beaten up" is super low.

If he really got roughed up then I don’t think it was staged. Maybe provoked or intentional.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

If he really got roughed up then I don’t think it was staged. Maybe provoked or intentional.

His entire business model is to whine about being maligned by SJWs and being banned by Wizards. He absolutely said poo poo to provoke someone.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You two just said opposite things - does it being a light beating increase or decrease the odds that it was staged? People here indicated that it was not serious.

I would expect a staged beating to focus on looking real rather than being real, but I dunno about this case.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Flip Yr Wig posted:

His entire business model is to whine about being maligned by SJWs and being banned by Wizards. He absolutely said poo poo to provoke someone.

Sure, but that’s not the same thing as him and the Matt guy staging it, which is an accusation against Matt as well.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Subjunctive posted:

I feel like being provoked still counts as being staged, by him, even if it wasn't staged by the other guy.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Sure, but that’s not the same thing as him and the Matt guy staging it, which is an accusation against Matt as well.

I guess that's possible, but I personally wouldn't opt to be on the receiving end of Gamergate for the rest of my life for the chance of a sales bump that might last a month at best.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You two just said opposite things - does it being a light beating increase or decrease the odds that it was staged? People here indicated that it was not serious.

I would expect a staged beating to focus on looking real rather than being real, but I dunno about this case.

Staged as in he set out to start poo poo with -someone- for his own profit at the con, the better known the better. Its how he works.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like being provoked still counts as being staged, by him, even if it wasn't staged by the other guy.

I don’t think that’s what the word means, but I understand what you mean now, so I’m fine.

Thanks for staging this conversation with me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I guess that's possible, but I personally wouldn't opt to be on the receiving end of Gamergate for the rest of my life for the chance of a sales bump that might last a month at best.
I wouldn't want to clean up elephant poop but people do lots of stuff they don't like for money.

Even if this one wasn't staged, I think it's a reasonably good idea and if I ever publish an rpg product I will reach across the aisle myself to subversively market my product.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Liquid Communism posted:

Staged as in he set out to start poo poo with -someone- for his own profit at the con, the better known the better. Its how he works.

Is that why he's, quote, 'trapped' at the con? I watched a bit of his video and he complained about being unable to leave.

Just say hotels are expensive, dude.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Is that why he's, quote, 'trapped' at the con? I watched a bit of his video and he complained about being unable to leave.

Just say hotels are expensive, dude.

He's 'unable' to leave because his flight out isn't until later in the week.

This is the guy who has a multi-year feud with WotC because they banned his rear end permanently for his harassing behavior, and some bright lad in Seattle found and banned his MtG Online account as well, and won't let him on to sell his 'valuable' e-cards.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Well done, WotC. In the words of Marshal Raylan Givens, "Outlaw's life hard, ain't it?"

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
From the scattered "facts" among all the random bullshit the chuds are tossing around, it seems dubious he even provoked someone into attacking him.

At first he was claiming he couldn't remember the attacker, except he was (of course) wearing a rainbow wifebeater, and then some video of a broken window which he claimed the person he couldn't remember attacked in a rage somewhere in the course of attacking him. But which the bar refused to intervene on, since apparently the great librul conspiracy will comp antifas windows or something. Then the police declined to intervene because I guess they're also sekrit libruls and won't prosecute an assault with "five eyewitnesses". Eyewitnesses who later went on to blame Matt.

Option 1 - all that poo poo happened. Option 2 - chuds be chuds, and maybe butthurt that he couldn't sneak into a MtG event at gencon or something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Didn’t Matt admit to it? Your theory confuses me.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Subjunctive posted:

Didn’t Matt admit to it? Your theory confuses me.

If he has, I haven't seen it anywhere. Just the gater brigade whining anywhere they're not banned about how gencon's involved in a cover up and they're totally going to go bankrupt next year unless they ban the SJWs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Desiden posted:

If he has, I haven't seen it anywhere.

I thought I’d seen it, but I think I was reading too quickly. Sorry about that.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Subjunctive posted:

I thought I’d seen it, but I think I was reading too quickly. Sorry about that.

No worries. Per standard for these things, the chuds are throwing every combination of "evidence" they can in the air to make it as confused as possible.

Though I do wonder if they were actually dumb enough to file a police report like they claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Matt, being a smart cookie who's at a game con right now, has set his Twitter to private and disabled much of his official web presence to avoid having to moderate all the chud outrage.

Meanwhile, the chud (who I refuse to dignify with a name) has started a gofundme to try and bring a civil case.

https://t.co/MknyfXqxzU