Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I can already tell the game is stunningly well balanced. I guess the abolition of dice makes that easier because everything is more predictable.
It does.

And the way the modifier decks can change over time to represent a character's growing capabilities is just brilliant design that I want to steal for RPGs. It's great design that I think a flexible RPG could do wonders with. Get a sweet big warhammer? Add some kind of stun card into the deck. Get a flaming staff? Add a fiery card of some sort.

My cragheart now has an 18-card deck. Only 2 of these cards are actually bad - miss and -2. So I'm up to drawing at least a +0 on ~89% of my card draws (and a positive modifier on ~56% of them). I am really looking forward to adding some of the extra + cards down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Wow, not Vengeance at level 7?

Nah, deleting enemies is boring, and it only works on normal enemies, which usually aren't a huge problem for us. also the bottom is bad, while both sides of the other card are great imo

Recaffeinated
Jul 11, 2007
Fuck decaf.
Thanks, yeah that was my hope. (triforce/circles) But I知 wondering whether focusing on keeping the summons alive (with stuns/disarms/shields/curses) might end up leading to more damage overall. Guess I値l give both a shot!

dwarf74 posted:

Get a sweet big warhammer? Add some kind of stun card into the deck. Get a flaming staff? Add a fiery card of some sort.

Have you seen Card Hunter?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I can already tell the game is stunningly well balanced. I guess the abolition of dice makes that easier because everything is more predictable.
Yeah, now that I've played around with a lot of classes and scenarios, I wanted to talk about balance. There are a few things that all sort of come into play when talking about balance.

The encounter design is good throughout the game with only a handful duds in the whole scenario book. The early scenarios are very well-balanced for low-level starting characters. This consistently good scenario design is what impresses me most.

The scenario balance stops working so well once you are at high levels with synergies and perks and lots of items, but that is both unavoidable and at the same time easily fixable just by realizing that you are crushing everything and turning up the difficulty. There really isn't any way to balance around the possible strengths of all parties, so the key thing is having a simple slider to increase or decrease difficulty - which Gloomhaven has. So top marks here, too.

The class balance also goes to poo poo a bit once you start opening boxes. Most of the unlockable classes are stronger than the starting classes, and a couple are a lot stronger. (And one is stupidly broken). I'd give it a solid B for class balance (for reference, I would give D&D 4e a B or a C depending on how many splats you include). Fixing that one class would put it up to an A.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Recaffeinated posted:

On a separate note, anyone have tips for the music note? I知 playing with a circles class in a 4p group, which I think changes the calculus of the class a bit and I知 tempted to run melody and harmony so I can keep up tons of buffs on all of the summons and teammates, but I知 unsure if that痴 actually good and what buffs to focus on. Are any of the offensive songs actually worth it?

I am also playing music note with circles (and two-minis)

I don't think the double song card is worth it just because it takes so long to set up and the other card you can take is so useful. The class has so many good bottom-side actions that you want to move as rarely as possible, so a move 6 is gold. And I almost always want to use Throw Voice in the first 3 turns, often multiple times with stamina potions - it's way better than a defensive song for keeping summons alive.

At level 6 I generally switch between +1 damage, +1 move/+1 range, and +1 heal songs as required. The +move is amazing for the summons as it makes them much more relevant getting from room to room, and then switching to +damage on a turn when they can all attack or when you reach a boss works great. I use the heal less than I expect but I generally keep it in the deck.The +wound song is pretty nice for some missions but the rest of my team are pretty good at dropping wounds too so I rarely use it.

Highly recommend doing the solo scenario for music note too.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jimbozig posted:

The class balance also goes to poo poo a bit once you start opening boxes. Most of the unlockable classes are stronger than the starting classes, and a couple are a lot stronger. (And one is stupidly broken). I'd give it a solid B for class balance (for reference, I would give D&D 4e a B or a C depending on how many splats you include). Fixing that one class would put it up to an A.

Which class?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Three spears, if I had to guess.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Three Spears. I'm going to play my next few scenarios as it with the houserule that the recover item cards in the attack deck only work on spent items and not consumed items. This is a huge nerf, but it may make the class playable again. My last session with it playing according to the rules FAQ was stupid. My friends were like "didn't you just do that last turn?" and I was like "yeah, I do that every turn now. I just blow up everyone forever."

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, now that I've played around with a lot of classes and scenarios, I wanted to talk about balance. There are a few things that all sort of come into play when talking about balance.

The encounter design is good throughout the game with only a handful duds in the whole scenario book. The early scenarios are very well-balanced for low-level starting characters. This consistently good scenario design is what impresses me most.

The scenario balance stops working so well once you are at high levels with synergies and perks and lots of items, but that is both unavoidable and at the same time easily fixable just by realizing that you are crushing everything and turning up the difficulty. There really isn't any way to balance around the possible strengths of all parties, so the key thing is having a simple slider to increase or decrease difficulty - which Gloomhaven has. So top marks here, too.

When the first characters get unlocked, several of the starters should have 3-4 enhancements, so you can't compare straight across. And class power varies strongly based upon number of players and cross-character synergy; the more "broken" characters just tend to care less about such synergies than the "suboptimal" ones.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SuperKlaus posted:

Triforce-related chat: I'm trying to divine what Level 1 cards, if any, are useful forever, so I can start considering where to put enhancements. Once I have money. What Level 1s, if any, would you keep using even at 9? Formless Power was a top candidate for me because the buff looks applicable always.

Good cards:
  • Stoking Hail. A ranged stun never goes out of fashion, and +1 range (or +1 wound) to the top is a cheap (ish) enhancement. Adding +any element to the bottom is an expensive but fantastic upgrade, but I preferred the next option.
  • Infernal Vortex. I think it's the best of the remaining move 2 generators for two reasons: frost is one of the better elements, and the top actually does appreciable damage compared to Lava Eruption. I added +any element to the bottom.
  • Crystallising Blast. Yeah this is a level 2 card but you'll have it in your deck forever and giving the bottom +1 move is cheap and synergises well with your solo scenario reward. It also doesn't prevent you from putting +curse on the top if you're feeling like spending a lot of money on a boring strategy

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
We beat Scenario 52 tonight. gently caress Scenario 52.

Okay for starters, we thought that this would retire our first character. It didn't.

Second, a scenario without teamwork? The gently caress you say.

Third, spitting drakes AND Oozes? gently caress you.

Fourth, why the ever living gently caress does it matter how many characters you have? Why are there more monsters for 4 players when we are literally each in our own mini-dungeon? It makes. No. Sense.

The only good thing is that you don't need to kill all that poo poo.

We didn't beat it on our first try. I know you're not supposed to self-exhaust but we just quit it when it became clear the Tinkerer had no way to get past the everything between him and his chest. (Cragheart, Spellweaver, and Brute were all fine.)

So we quit because we didn't want to waste our game night, took our loot and xp, the Brute leveled up, and the Tinkerer grabbed healing potions and winged boots. That was all it took.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

dwarf74 posted:

Fourth, why the ever living gently caress does it matter how many characters you have? Why are there more monsters for 4 players when we are literally each in our own mini-dungeon? It makes. No. Sense.

There aren't though? Literally the only changes from 2-3 players are adding the monsters in the third wing of the dungeon, and the only changes from 3-4 are adding the monsters in the fourth wing.

Yeah the scenario is really dumb and gimmicky, but you can let that stand on its own, there's no need to exaggerate it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

dwarf74 posted:

We beat Scenario 52 tonight. gently caress Scenario 52.

Fourth why the ever living gently caress does it matter how many characters you have? Why are there more monsters for 4 players when we are literally each in our own mini-dungeon? It makes. No. Sense.

The extra enemies for 4P are only in the SE wing (which is for the 4th player).

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Where are you all getting your cash for enhancements? My Cragheart left 171 gold of enhancement treats for his future kin before retirement but that was every coin he had after buying himself some gear and all that money together wouldn't do poo poo for high-level power-ups. Like I was thinking "man Immobilize on Clear the Way would be so excellent; Immobilize is good on all ranged attacks and this one would by definition pin the guys next to an obstacle into which they could shortly be punched!" and yeah that would be pretty excellent but oh drat 250G is I think literally more money than my Cragheart earned in his career.

I'm trying to divine the future for enhancements on Triforce (thanks Doctor Spaceman by the way) but the gold required seems like a dream for a character who doesn't have items in most gear slots yet. There are two enhancements in particular on the class's moves that seem extremely potent but neither one is gonna be cheap.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jabor posted:

There aren't though? Literally the only changes from 2-3 players are adding the monsters in the third wing of the dungeon, and the only changes from 3-4 are adding the monsters in the fourth wing.

Yeah the scenario is really dumb and gimmicky, but you can let that stand on its own, there's no need to exaggerate it.

Hah gently caress. Yeah okay. Well, it still sucks but I got that wrong!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

SuperKlaus posted:

Where are you all getting your cash for enhancements? My Cragheart left 171 gold of enhancement treats for his future kin before retirement but that was every coin he had after buying himself some gear and all that money together wouldn't do poo poo for high-level power-ups. Like I was thinking "man Immobilize on Clear the Way would be so excellent; Immobilize is good on all ranged attacks and this one would by definition pin the guys next to an obstacle into which they could shortly be punched!" and yeah that would be pretty excellent but oh drat 250G is I think literally more money than my Cragheart earned in his career.

I'm trying to divine the future for enhancements on Triforce (thanks Doctor Spaceman by the way) but the gold required seems like a dream for a character who doesn't have items in most gear slots yet. There are two enhancements in particular on the class's moves that seem extremely potent but neither one is gonna be cheap.

You can also sell your items for half their purchase cost.

WCL
Dec 26, 2008

NYAAAH-AH-AH!
Did scenario 7 last night with our new class: Eclipse. Plus Sun, Music note, and ubisoft.

Is this normally a really easy dungeon? Never any threat of danger and we had turns left of xp farming and looting every coin drop before ending. We do plan to go up from +1 to +2 difficulty next week. Party seems really strong though, the songs are stupid good.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

WCL posted:

Did scenario 7 last night with our new class: Eclipse. Plus Sun, Music note, and ubisoft.

Is this normally a really easy dungeon? Never any threat of danger and we had turns left of xp farming and looting every coin drop before ending. We do plan to go up from +1 to +2 difficulty next week. Party seems really strong though, the songs are stupid good.

We did scenario 7 last week. Despite everyone getting really mad at me for opening a door too soon and a shaman screwing up my ability to clean up my mess by disarming me right before I was going to attack with both my cards, we were never in much danger. Except, it was probably stupid to bank on our Tinkerer being able to play his loot action in the final room without a backup plan for if the imps in there screwed with him somehow while we were burning our cards for xp elsewhere.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Anybody have any neat tips for propping up the Gloomhaven map against the wall? The way it's split it keeps flopping.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Tape it to some posterboard?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

WCL posted:

I'm surprised you have all new characters yet haven't played a really early scenario.

WCL
Dec 26, 2008

NYAAAH-AH-AH!

KingKapalone posted:

I'm surprised you have all new characters yet haven't played a really early scenario.

This was due to our retirement goals. Had do side missions and kill undead so we focused on main story then elemental plane then retirements. Enhancements and thus that quest opening came towards the end for the first group. Three people retired all at once at level 7, last person got level 9 for two levels before retiring.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm at GenCon and I got to meet Isaac and chat a bit.

Expansion is targeting a late September release.

His favorite class is Lightning Bolts.

I picked up the solo scenario pack and I'm hype to bring those home to our group.

3rd printing of Gloomhaven is out of stock and there will be a 4th printing, hopefully out by end of year.

Diviner class is playable at the demo table. I'm going to try to squeeze in there and give it a try.

He is a cool chill dude and he's standing there with a non-stop parade of people telling him how awesome the game is.

They have a huge pile of Founders and I'm picking up a copy before I leave.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
OK so solo scenarios are an expansion pack I can buy? They get talked about so much and I thought people were spoilering me on what was in an envelope or something. What's the deal with solo scenarios?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

OK so solo scenarios are an expansion pack I can buy? They get talked about so much and I thought people were spoilering me on what was in an envelope or something. What's the deal with solo scenarios?

It's a separate booklet, with a scenario for each class. If you succeed at the scenario, you get an item that's essentially class specific.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Some Numbers posted:

It's a separate booklet, with a scenario for each class. If you succeed at the scenario, you get an item that's essentially class specific.

Since you have the actual booklet, is it class-specific for good? We've been assuming that you can sell them like normal items and buy them for future characters.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Car Hater posted:

Since you have the actual booklet, is it class-specific for good? We've been assuming that you can sell them like normal items and buy them for future characters.

Well, when thatclass retires they have no choice but to sell all their items to the shop.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
https://twitter.com/AsmodeeDigital/status/1025108976541753344

This kind of came out of nowhere

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SuperKlaus posted:

sometimes bggstore has them in stock you can also just print it off from pdfs isaac released somewhere i think

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Motherfucker I literally bought TTS yesterday for this.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

That's insane god drat I am excited

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Car Hater posted:

Well, some of them literally won't do anything for other classes.

I don't see why you couldn't buy it for another class if you want to play it that way.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I ride bikes all day posted:

Motherfucker I literally bought TTS yesterday for this.

Don't feel too bad, it sounds like it's not the actual game.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08/02/gloomhaven-digital-game-announced-for-early-next-year-gen-con-2018

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
The digital game isn't the board game. It's a first person single player rogue like. http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/08/02/gloomhaven-digital-game-announced-for-early-next-year-gen-con-2018

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Miftan posted:

That's fine. We even run with "I'm going quick even by Mindthief standards!" or "I am definitely going first eat my dust". Spice it up.

:yeah:

The only time I ask for a bit more precision from my fellow players is when I'm the Sun class. Since she depends so heavily on being next to other characters, and she has such a dang middling initiative generally... I let people know "hey, I am going midrange-early before 40, and I'm planning to be here. If you want a bless or an extra attack, stand near this area and I'll make it happen."

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Thursday Next posted:

:yeah:

The only time I ask for a bit more precision from my fellow players is when I'm the Sun class. Since she depends so heavily on being next to other characters, and she has such a dang middling initiative generally... I let people know "hey, I am going midrange-early before 40, and I'm planning to be here. If you want a bless or an extra attack, stand near this area and I'll make it happen."

We don't do that, but we definitely say 'I'm going to be in THIS square, if you nerds want buffs come stand next to me'.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

KingKapalone posted:

The digital game isn't the board game. It's a first person single player rogue like. http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/08/02/gloomhaven-digital-game-announced-for-early-next-year-gen-con-2018

Welp. There goes my annoyance at the timing. And my excitement for the digital release.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

KingKapalone posted:

Oh wow, I was excusing the really lame models and animations because you would be looking down on things from way overhead, but if this is representative gameplay footage... Yeesh.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

KingKapalone posted:

Enthusiasm murdered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice
So weird. The store page has a bunch of 3rd person screenshots with obvious hexes on the ground. IGN is so poo poo tier, wouldn't surprise me if they were just flat wrong. Either way, it's clearly a "inspired by," not a digital recreation.