Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'd ask for a list of installed apps, but I just don't care. It probably runs good enough and if it doesn't it's probably your fault somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm too busy too do weird poo poo with my phone to explain the performance and I'm also too rushed to deal with the lag that comes with doing a Google search from the launcher

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would really like to know what the cause of that could be. I touch the search bar on the home screen and it comes up instantly, I start typing and results fill in without delay. I've never seen it behave in any other fashion.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

bull3964 posted:

I would really like to know what the cause of that could be. I touch the search bar on the home screen and it comes up instantly, I start typing and results fill in without delay. I've never seen it behave in any other fashion.

My old phone would require me to hit that home screen search twice to use it. First hit would select with a blank one line history, half second later it deselects, then I hit it again and I can use it normally. Stock Google Now launcher on near stock Android (Motorola).

Maybe it's... freeing up memory. :tinfoil:

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
My wife and I got our OG Pixels around the same time almost 2 years ago. Hers is a regular, mine is XL.

My phone runs fast and smooth to this day. Occasionally (infrequently) the camera takes a second longer to open from the double-click power button. And Google Play Music often runs like garbage, but I'm pretty sure that app always did. Everything else is plenty fast. Certainly no lag when clicking the search bar or whatever. I install quite a few apps, including a churn of games that I get bored of too quickly. My battery lasts me through the day, although I usually do charge at my desk while working.

My wife's phone often runs slow, apps launching sluggishly, searches such as in Maps responding poorly. Her battery life is bad. She has many different apps installed, so who knows what the cause could be. I sometimes wonder if it's her Fitbit, since that's a notable difference between our usage (other than different games, messaging apps, etc).

We're both on Verizon running stock Pixel updates and launcher. I may do a factory reset for both of us when P drops.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

RZA Encryption posted:

I'd ask for a list of installed apps, but I just don't care. It probably runs good enough and if it doesn't it's probably your fault somehow.

The Android Thread: It's Probably Your Fault Somehow

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

CLAM DOWN posted:

honestly what the gently caress are you people doing to your phones, I give up

"The Android Thread: Honestly what the gently caress are you people doing to your phones, I give up"

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

Somewhere, the AI bot at the head of Google HQ grins in delight at this post.

I dont game on the phone. I'm not a sex offender anime watcher. I use social media apps, email, camera, music, this, and shopping/banking. Nothing resource intensive. I barely even watch youtube or any videos at all. Yet somehow when I put my finger on the sensor sometimes the phone vibrates but the screen stays black for 3 seconds and skitzes out for a bit before I can finally open it up and do something. Open a chat head in messenger and it freezes up for a while. Snapchat takes forever to load. Performance is just overall too often sluggish for Google's own flagship.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Isn't the Snapchat app notoriously awful? I seem to remember hearing that.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Snapchat is trash but it was fine when I first got the phone

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm on the verge of just getting rid of it seeing I can do the same thing on other apps that dont spam me with buzzfeed bullshit about what makeup some kardashian oval office put on today. But still, it displays and sends images and video. Shouldn't be bringing the phone to its knees

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The common thread on slow phones seems to be Messenger, which makes sense.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

incogneato posted:

I sometimes wonder if it's her Fitbit, since that's a notable difference between our usage

This would affect battery life but shouldn't cause the other issues.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

On the one hand, it's probably an app or some combinations of apps.

On the other hand, at some theoretical level its Androids fault for letting apps gently caress poo poo up.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I never have Facebook Messenger installed unless I need to see a message while I'm on my phone. Also I only use Facebook in Firefox.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
The weirdest thing to me about moving from the Moto g5+ to the essential phone is ram usage is now hidden behind developer options.

It's almost like Google wants to devalue your need to micromanage. :/

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
While my Pixel 2 is still fast and snappy, it would be nice not having to re-launch apps as often so I am hoping to see a RAM increase for the Pixel 4.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Incessant Excess posted:

While my Pixel 2 is still fast and snappy, it would be nice not having to re-launch apps as often so I am hoping to see a RAM increase for the Pixel 4.

Pixel 4: You still don't need more than 4

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

codo27 posted:

Yet somehow when I put my finger on the sensor sometimes the phone vibrates but the screen stays black for 3 seconds and skitzes out for a bit before I can finally open it up and do something.
I remember reading somewhere that this is a known issue and a fix is coming.
e: https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/07/26/june-ota-update-may-made-pixel-2-xl-much-slower-wake/

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 2, 2018

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Thermopyle posted:

On the one hand, it's probably an app or some combinations of apps.

On the other hand, at some theoretical level its Androids fault for letting apps gently caress poo poo up.

I deleted my facebook account about 2 years ago and I remember messenger slowing my HTC One M8 down quite a bit.

It's also just a terrible service imo and I feel that my life is better now that I'm not "keeping up" with friends I only talked to with facebook messenger.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

codo27 posted:

I'm on the verge of just getting rid of it seeing I can do the same thing on other apps that dont spam me with buzzfeed bullshit about what makeup some kardashian oval office put on today. But still, it displays and sends images and video. Shouldn't be bringing the phone to its knees
Snapchat's recent redesign was weird. It used to be that my friend's snapchats were right next to some ads I never clicked on + interstitial ads as I watched them, but then they redesigned it so all of my friends snaps are on a new button with no ads except for the interstitials and the old button just shows me the ads I never clicked on. So they redesigned their app to show me significantly fewer ads :wtc:

As for it being a power hog, idk check to make sure you don't have location sharing on (it's enabled by default).

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Peachfart posted:

The common thread on slow phones seems to be Messenger, which makes sense.

There's an app for that!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

this and browser fb basically made my phone new again.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Gobbeldygook posted:

Snapchat's recent redesign was weird. It used to be that my friend's snapchats were right next to some ads I never clicked on + interstitial ads as I watched them, but then they redesigned it so all of my friends snaps are on a new button with no ads except for the interstitials and the old button just shows me the ads I never clicked on. So they redesigned their app to show me significantly fewer ads :wtc:

As for it being a power hog, idk check to make sure you don't have location sharing on (it's enabled by default).

Yeah I've been scratching my head with their new redesigns. I feel like they have done several big UI overhauls over the past few months. The app on my Oneplus 3T has gotten significantly slower with the more recent updates, so much that the "my stories" section (and a few other pages) bring the frame-rate down to single digits.

When I first got my phone a year ago snapchat had 0 lag but their recent changes have basically made it unusable again. I have no idea how they manage to gently caress it up so bad with all that investor money.

Come to think of it I'm halfway convinced most of the people that work at snapchat are just lazy devs that are riding the investor money out for as long as they can without having to do any real work.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

this and browser fb basically made my phone new again.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.facebook.lite&hl=en_US

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 2, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I stopped using facebook because they're bad in more ways than being battery murderers.

:colbert:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Remember how bad the Verizon Galaxy Nexus was with its separate radio for LTE making the battery drain almost instantly? What if you could have that experience in 2019?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Messenger user here and no weird poo poo going on

OG pixel

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

i've thought about it but putting up more roadblocks to me using that terrible platform is a good thing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

Messenger user here and no weird poo poo going on

OG pixel

Here too, G5+. Disabled the annoying floating chat heads and various other things.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
My reg Pixel2 has an uncanny ability to freeze the camera app (on default camera or snapchat) whenever I want to take a picture the most (a fleeting moment shot if you will). I've tried recreating it with similar speeds pulled from my pocket-to-app and can never to get it to repeat the behavior. Force closing either app doesn't unjank it, neither does locking the screen and trying again. Only thing that fixes is it a reboot or letting it sit for sometimes as little as twenty seconds. I honestly can't help but laugh every time it happens it's really absurd. I've had it happen on otherwise not urgent moments as well, sometimes right after a picture.

I thought I saw a link earlier in this thread where Pixel2's cameras just straight up died. I wonder if mine is headed down that path. It's been happening at least a couple months now, on Oreo throughout all the betas for P. Does this happen to anyone else? I'm not too concerned because I'll be upgrading in a month or two on the next phone refresh anyway.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

LastInLine posted:

Remember how bad the Verizon Galaxy Nexus was with its separate radio for LTE making the battery drain almost instantly? What if you could have that experience in 2019?

It's the loving Motorola Xoom all over again

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Queue everyone saying it doesn't happen to them, but when I had Messenger Lite installed, it somehow rigged things so that it would open itself every single time I unlocked my phone. I disabled every option I could find for the app, but it kept doing it. Had to uninstall it.

I'm sure it was my fault (somehow), but now it takes me a few days to get any facebook messages, since that's about how often I check fb on my computer.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Thermopyle posted:

I stopped using facebook because they're bad in more ways than being battery murderers.

:colbert:

Same gently caress FB

LastInLine posted:

IIRC the Verizon model had a larger battery as well that wasn't compatible with the HSPA+ GSM models. I think the GSM model had a 1650mah battery and the Verizon one was like 2000 or 2100mah but it still managed to die faster than the GSM version just because of that POS radio. Man the Galaxy Nexus was so bad but we all pretended it was good. It was like being in an abusive relationship with your phone.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

64bit_Dophins posted:

Same gently caress FB

IIRC the Verizon model had a larger battery as well that wasn't compatible with the HSPA+ GSM models. I think the GSM model had a 1650mah battery and the Verizon one was like 2000 or 2100mah but it still managed to die faster than the GSM version just because of that POS radio. Man the Galaxy Nexus was so bad but we all pretended it was good. It was like being in an abusive relationship with your phone.

At least with my Sprint version they shipped out a free extended battery and new back cover because it was so awful.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

sirbeefalot posted:

At least with my Sprint version they shipped out a free extended battery and new back cover because it was so awful.

Did it fix the problem? I used to carry the OEM battery and an aftermarket extended battery around with me everywhere when I had it lol.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The battery life of any LTE phone before Qualcomm had integrated LTE basebands was abysmal.

That's the main reason why the Sprint and Verizon ones had it so bad, the GSM one wasn't LTE.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

bull3964 posted:

The battery life of any LTE phone before Qualcomm had integrated LTE basebands was abysmal.

That's the main reason why the Sprint and Verizon ones had it so bad, the GSM one wasn't LTE.

I was the sucker that bought the Thunderbolt and immediately had to root it to turn off LTE. Which was the entire goddamn point of the phone. Otherwise the battery lasted like 6 hours. Those were the days.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

Man the Galaxy Nexus was so bad but we all pretended it was good. It was like being in an abusive relationship with your phone.

I liked my GSM Galaxy Nexus. Not as much as the whole of my Nexus One or the design of the Nexus S, but I liked it. It certainly worked better than the Nexus S ever did. Remember how there were like 30 regional variants but only two of them were Google supported and if you didn't flash the firmware you'd never get updates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

I liked my GSM Galaxy Nexus. Not as much as the whole of my Nexus One or the design of the Nexus S, but I liked it. It certainly worked better than the Nexus S ever did. Remember how there were like 30 regional variants but only two of them were Google supported and if you didn't flash the firmware you'd never get updates?

Remember the Sprint one being so incredibly lovely that they handed out fatass batteries for free