Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

phasmid posted:

I wondered why in the Westwood games a horned beast was the Harkonnen seal. I thought it was a bull, in reference to the one that killed Leto I. But maybe it was an ox?

A communist Finnish ox?

i always thought it was some kind of goat, which is weird cause the official seal is a griffon

also they hosed up the colours, harkonnen are blue and atredies green *pushes glasses up nose*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

i always thought it was some kind of goat, which is weird cause the official seal is a griffon

also they hosed up the colours, harkonnen are blue and atredies green *pushes glasses up nose*

But that would not work because the blue (or white) color is always for the good guys, while green and yellow is for the weird-beards and third alternatives. Red and black are the bad guy-colors.

Seriously; if they had made blue Harkonnen people would have been confused and complained that the assholes are portrayed as heroes.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Probably true. Although on Dune it's said often that they have a different appreciation of colors and their meaning.

It's significant that the Atreides symbol is a hawk and the Harkonnen is a fictive animal, like some silly one-upsmanship.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I played the Dune RTS before reading the books. The harkonnen were red, the atreides were blue, and the ordos were green. Then the books had no ordos and the colors were different and I was confused.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
rockin yellow to the next funeral i attend

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I played the Dune RTS before reading the books. The harkonnen were red, the atreides were blue, and the ordos were green. Then the books had no ordos and the colors were different and I was confused.

In Emperor the Ordos are basically the borg lol

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

rockin yellow to the next funeral i attend

gently caress yeah.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

phasmid posted:

Pro strat was Ordos + Sardaukar + Tleilaxu.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Vlex posted:

Pro strat was Ordos + Sardaukar + Tleilaxu.

I'd meet you with Atreides Fremen Guild. That spice is mine.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I call it... Desert Power....

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

phasmid posted:

gently caress yeah.

I never played that game. Is it actually good? I only know that it exists. The last one I played was dune 2000 which was basically red alert but with sand worms.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Emperor had some choice moments. Using Fedaykin to eat people's spice harvesters is fun and Guildsmen can teleport over the entire map. Tleilaxu require a lot more micro, but they gently caress people up.

You might try it. There's a lot of great B-listers in the live action cutscenes.

sebmojo posted:

I call it... Desert Power....

:lsd:

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
The Harkonnen were the blue guys in the original Dune game and the Atreides were red. I kinda wish westwood kept that colour motif but whatever no big deal.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Vladimir Harkonnen posted:

I call it... Dessert Power....

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Is being immune to precognitive powers somehow intrinsic to a no-ship's ability to do FTL travel, or is the "no" part just for privacy and security, with a navigational computer handling the space-folds, since Leto II's engineered spice famine motivated the Ixians or whoever to re-learn how to design those?

Until, of course, a traditional Heighliner telefrags into a no-ship it's navigator couldn't see occupying that spot of space.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
No they had the no-room as early as God Emperor, central to that Malky/Hwi plot, and also in Heretics when they find the old Harkonnen one on Gammu, so the no-thing can certainly be immobile.

Also I got the sense that FTL was easy for them, it’s the “not driving into a loving star” part that’s the big deal. The FTL advancement in the later series, if I recall, was Ix making an AI/robot navigator.

So I think the two are pretty much separate and they just had them together for military or security purposes.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I read the book when I was pretty young (too young to understand 99% of it, also I had to ask my mother what a concubine was. I don't remember what answer she gave but I'm sure it was diplomatic) but even before that I remember playing Dune and Dune II and the sort of....weirdness of that world was what pulled me in. Now as an adult I'd probably say Dune is my favourite sci-fi novel.

The first game was pretty hypnotic for kid-me, the sort of combo adventure game and RTS.....thing. I never finished it, naturally, maybe I should go back to that some time.

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 2, 2018

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

The first Dune game was hard as balls to win, too. You could easily paint yourself into a corner and make the game unwinnable looooong before you realised where and how you hosed up.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Vlex posted:

The first Dune game was hard as balls to win, too. You could easily paint yourself into a corner and make the game unwinnable looooong before you realised where and how you hosed up.

I have fond memories of being asked for 2,500kg of spice for some lovely lasguns by smugglers in that game.

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 2, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I played the first Dune game when I was younger -- my grandmother was a Dune 2 savant -- and even then it struck me that you had to do things exactly right in the correct order or you'd find yourself in an unwinnable situation.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
first one was hard in that if you lost a single battle you were generally hosed. i think the battle orders were also hosed cause even if you outnumbered them 5:1 and had oh my god atomics, hitting any of the special attack orders would instantly kill you, so you just had to wait poo poo out.

eventually id get bored and turn the whole spice map black with ecologists. you could get harkonnen to abandon forts by ruining the spice below their territory, but that'd take days since weve heard from you

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

It also influences how I thought of thopters pretty heavily. This is still what I imagine in my head when I read the books.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
i can only ever see thufir as nosferatu, which is incredible given the competition in his portrayals

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Baron Harkonnen from the miniseries plays a bumbling old Cornish plumber/restaurant owner in a popular show here called Doc Martin (for 13 years). I will always think of the other when watching one.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Ian McNeice is a great actor and I love watching him in anything he's in.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Mode 7 posted:

It also influences how I thought of thopters pretty heavily. This is still what I imagine in my head when I read the books.

I always thought of thopters as literal bird mimics. Like, flying as a raptor does and coming to rest anywhere their feet/landing gear could find purchase. Since there's all the storms, you'd have to have something pretty acrobatic to fly over the surface of the planet. Also, it's probably just cooler in a sci-fi prog rock album cover kinda way.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Yeah the range of articulation that's spelled out in the texts points to something very bird like, at least in the wings:

https://twitter.com/AlexJayBrady/status/900749820306087940
More good stuff in the artstation link.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
What? No more ornis?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Yeah the range of articulation that's spelled out in the texts points to something very bird like, at least in the wings:

https://twitter.com/AlexJayBrady/status/900749820306087940
More good stuff in the artstation link.

poo poo yeah

e. although I imagine them as not having "heads" really. Maybe a cone up front to create the air foil, but without sounding morbid, I still think of them as big machines that look like headless birds.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOmX6HmGp0U

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

duen...

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Deun?

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Dnue, dyslexic planet

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Düne, Deutsches Planet

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Dane, murdersub planet

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

The description of ornithopters sounded more like insects than birds to me.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
I always pictured a dragonfly with segmented wings more or less

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Dine, Guy Fieri planet

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

wyntyr posted:

I always pictured a dragonfly with segmented wings more or less

I saw the movie first so they always looked like gold boxes with wings to me

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
Just remembered that in eighth grade I bought Dune and Children of Dune from a bookmobile and when my health teacher saw me go from book one to book three he freaked out hardcore, like sent me to the library in the middle of class (I was reading instead of doing schoolwork because I’m a goon obv) to check out Dune Messiah. That guy was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

wyntyr posted:

Just remembered that in eighth grade I bought Dune and Children of Dune from a bookmobile and when my health teacher saw me go from book one to book three he freaked out hardcore, like sent me to the library in the middle of class (I was reading instead of doing schoolwork because I’m a goon obv) to check out Dune Messiah. That guy was cool.

A good teacher.