Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Modus Pwnens posted:

What the heck is even going on in the satellite view.

https://goo.gl/maps/RELoiyfyKY12

E: on my phone it looks like part of the roof is like peeled off.

Google maps is trying to render the tree as a 3D object, you're see the tree mesh overlaying the top of the roof. If you go on a computer and turn on 3D it gets easier to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Javid posted:

I stayed in a vacation house once that had, right next to the front door, a bathroom with the entire exterior wall windowed. Not even frosted glass. No curtains. I don't get it.

My parent's house is like that since it wasn't originally a bathroom. They put curtains and Venetian blinds in the window. That house had a bunch of weird things going on thanks to the prior owner being a "handyman".

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Bad Munki posted:

Anyhow that's my story: found a secret stash of original blueprints for a >100 year old mansion and snagged them for basically nothing.
Well, since it's a few families removed and it's more than a hundred years old... take pictures/scan them and post?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fire Storm posted:

Well, since it's a few families removed and it's more than a hundred years old... take pictures/scan them and post?

But then the mercenaries will be prepared for an assault on his dream manor.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

FCKGW posted:

Not so much a crappy construction, but a unusual focus on priorities

Home for sale: 1 bed 1 bath 816 sqft W/ HUGE 10 CAR ATTACHED CONCRETE BLOCK GARAGE 80 X 25 W/ SEPARATE 200 AMP ELECTRIC w/REAR ENTRY FROM ALLEY!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/914-E-Oak-St-Louisville-KY-40204/2092103544_zpid/

Kind of jealous of that garage. Bet that you could also throw a monstrous rager in there

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

FCKGW posted:

Home for sale: 1 bed 1 bath 816 sqft W/ HUGE 10 CAR ATTACHED CONCRETE BLOCK GARAGE 80 X 25 W/ SEPARATE 200 AMP ELECTRIC w/REAR ENTRY FROM ALLEY!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/914-E-Oak-St-Louisville-KY-40204/2092103544_zpid/

NEW roof! on the garage because that's the only part that matters

I think the part that amazes me, aside from the fact that this is a house with only one bedroom, is that they actually managed to build a kitchen with less storage and counter space than my studio apartment. To be fair, I don't have a stove/oven in my place, but I do have a counter to put my other appliances on and cupboards to store them in.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
that garage looks useless and like poo poo tbh

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our door is similar! Red was the priority, window options were limited but it turned out cute.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Those doors are gonna look tacky and dated as hell in four years or less.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nah it's cool and good

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Any strong fashion opinion is going to look dated inside of four years. Are you trying to please the fashionistas or yourself?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

duz posted:

My parent's house is like that since it wasn't originally a bathroom. They put curtains and Venetian blinds in the window. That house had a bunch of weird things going on thanks to the prior owner being a "handyman".

I had that problem with my bathroom in my last house.

But the local hardware store had "spray frosting" which turned the glass white and was pretty cool. Lasted the whole time I was living there, so about 5 years, with no problems.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Bees on Wheat posted:

NEW roof! on the garage because that's the only part that matters

I think the part that amazes me, aside from the fact that this is a house with only one bedroom, is that they actually managed to build a kitchen with less storage and counter space than my studio apartment. To be fair, I don't have a stove/oven in my place, but I do have a counter to put my other appliances on and cupboards to store them in.

One bedroom houses aren't particularly unusual, esp in the south (though I don't know if Kentucky counts as part of "the South") where shotgun cottages are a cheap option for worker housing. What really impresses me is that the kitchen looks to be about 9 feet wide, which is plenty for a little galley or L-shaped kitchen that could've been quite usable had they bothered to get a 24" range and refrigerator. What's really unconscionable is that had the dude made his garage, say, a detached 7 car garage, he could've had more than one (inoperable) window in the entire house.
How miserable not to be able to enjoy a nice breeze through the house on a cool day, or to be able to wake up one morning, look out the bedroom window and see that the trees have bloomed, the leaves have changed, or that you've gotten 6 inches of snow in the night.

Edit: and Peanut's door is very complimentary to the architecture, and looks like any number of doors with geometric windows that have been around since the 50's.

whalesteak fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 3, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

HEY NONG MAN posted:

The one I posted is already 50 years old, so...

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

The one I posted is already 50 years old, so...

You gotta know there was a stretch where it looked old and bad though. Fortunately they persevered through the 80s and 90s until it came back.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

StormDrain posted:

You gotta know there was a stretch where it looked old and bad though. Fortunately they persevered through the 80s and 90s until it came back.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 3, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

StormDrain posted:

I liked it when we moved into the neighborhood in 2000, but I'm also 50 years old (48-2/3, but close enough.)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zil posted:

Congrats on your new bathroom after the remodel.
A company just quoted us 20k to redo it so ugly rear end tile remains. :(

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Hahaha that is amazing!

I actually just closed on my house 4 weeks ago. The listing stated a "one car garage".

This garage is wired for 120v and 240v, and is plumbed and ready for a heated floor. I can comfortably fit 4 cars in here. Its 22' x 36'

Once my Volvo get's the engine swap she needs, I'm moving it from my friends shop to mine!

Solar Coaster fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 3, 2018

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Time to start a motorcycle collection

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
I got my turbo Volvo 245 project and my wife wants an 81 Mustang as a project car. It was her first car and appearently came heavily modified with rollcage. She wants another like that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Get at least two more quotes.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Get at least two more quotes.

Yeah, often people will heavily overquote if they don't want the job.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

HEY NONG MAN posted:

If you're worried about trends changing, you can always go live in a blank white cube like PRADA SLUT.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Also those doors have been around for ages.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i like old things.

my bar cart was built in the very late 1800s and the cast iron casters are just like the coolest thing.

i would love those doors

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Solar Coaster posted:

my wife wants an 81 Mustang as a project car. It was her first car and appearently came heavily modified with rollcage. She wants another like that.

I can see why you married her.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Can't you at least cover it with vinyl decals???!! Or smash it and smear some kinda putty?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Solar Coaster posted:

I got my turbo Volvo 245 project and my wife wants an 81 Mustang as a project car. It was her first car and appearently came heavily modified with rollcage. She wants another like that.

My wife really wants to fix up, customize, and paint a 1940's-1950's or so pickup truck. Our garage is insanely tall and if we changed the garage door to one that wouldn't go horizontal across the car spots we could easily put one in, but due to the size of the garage in general, one car would always have to park in the 2 post lift which would be pretty annoying. I already have a 60 gallon compressor though.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

shortspecialbus posted:

My wife really wants to fix up, customize, and paint a 1940's-1950's or so pickup truck.

Your wife is cool and I want to be friends with her.

I want to get and fix up an International Scout or F100 some day.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Does anyone have a link to that home remodel nightmare blog a guy was making about his own new house? Money shot was a fake coaxial outlet that had no box and wasn't wired up, just a faceplate and ~3 inches of cable plastered into place. Seems like such an easy thing to find but my google-fu is not strong this day.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Enourmo posted:

Does anyone have a link to that home remodel nightmare blog a guy was making about his own new house? Money shot was a fake coaxial outlet that had no box and wasn't wired up, just a faceplate and ~3 inches of cable plastered into place. Seems like such an easy thing to find but my google-fu is not strong this day.

Sounds like Hoodwinked House, the "predatory remodeling" story. The main site is down for maintenance right now apparently, but this seems to have some of it mirrored: http://hoodwinked72.rssing.com/chan-51200474/all_p2.html

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Solar Coaster posted:

Hahaha that is amazing!

I actually just closed on my house 4 weeks ago. The listing stated a "one car garage".

This garage is wired for 120v and 240v, and is plumbed and ready for a heated floor. I can comfortably fit 4 cars in here. Its 22' x 36'

Once my Volvo get's the engine swap she needs, I'm moving it from my friends shop to mine!

At least as far as an appraisal goes, 1 door = 1 car. It's stupid. I recently built a 2400 square foot garage, that has 3 doors on the shorter (40') side. That counts as a 3 car garage on the appraisal even though you can fit at least 9 of em with plenty of space in between for bikes and tractors and poo poo. That garage is worth the same amount on an appraisal as a 20x30 3 car garage would be. I shoulda covered every accessible wall of that garage with the smallest overhead doors I could find, to make it worth $150k when I refinanced.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Buff Skeleton posted:

Sounds like Hoodwinked House, the "predatory remodeling" story. The main site is down for maintenance right now apparently, but this seems to have some of it mirrored: http://hoodwinked72.rssing.com/chan-51200474/all_p2.html

thanks pal.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Solar Coaster posted:

Hahaha that is amazing!

This garage is wired for 120v and 240v, and is plumbed and ready for a heated floor.

As someone who lives on the edge of a desert - what's the point of a heated floor in a garage?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

As someone who lives on the edge of a desert - what's the point of a heated floor in a garage?

It is nice in the winter, plus if you heat your slab year round, it doesn’t expand/contract as much. If there’s humidity, you also won’t have the concrete sweating in the spring when the air turns warm and humid but the concrete is still freezing cold.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

JoshGuitar posted:

At least as far as an appraisal goes, 1 door = 1 car. It's stupid. I recently built a 2400 square foot garage, that has 3 doors on the shorter (40') side. That counts as a 3 car garage on the appraisal even though you can fit at least 9 of em with plenty of space in between for bikes and tractors and poo poo. That garage is worth the same amount on an appraisal as a 20x30 3 car garage would be. I shoulda covered every accessible wall of that garage with the smallest overhead doors I could find, to make it worth $150k when I refinanced.

Did it only being a 3 car garage mean that your property taxes didn't go up as much?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fire Storm posted:

I had misremembered, it was actually from the 40s, at least these drawings I have are. I was pretty sure the gal I talked to said it was older (her family had built it, she was just there at the tag sale to reminisce) but maybe I just got it wrong. Anyhow:

Of note: the driveway had you approach the house at an angle from the left, so you came in parallel to the face of that giant garage, so it wasn’t really a part of the visible approach. Same result for the wing on the right: it’s largely behind the house as you approach.

I can maybe post some floor plans if there’s actually interest. I don’t want to go too crazy, though: the drawings are almost 80 years old but the firm still exists, I believe, although it looks like they just do corporate, government, and university work now.

It’s a huge house, pretty sure it’s over 5.5k sq ft based on a quick scan of the drawings. More than I need/want but I wouldn’t mind a house based on these plans.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 6, 2018

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Solar Coaster posted:

You say 4 car garage, I say 1-2 car garage and the workshop of your dreams.

Also your car is wearing a look of disapproval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Bad Munki posted:

I can maybe post some floor plans if there’s actually interest. I don’t want to go too crazy, though: the drawings are almost 80 years old but the firm still exists, I believe, although it looks like they just do corporate, government, and university work now.

Please post them all when you have time. I wouldn't worry about the firm coming after you though.