Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Eric the Mauve posted:

I remember reading that over 90% of all cases filed in many jurisdictions are from prisoners who have nothing better to do than file litigation all day.

I'm pretty sure that was a BS republican talking point. At least since the 90's and the "Prison Litigation Reform Act," it's actually very difficult for prisoners to file most civil litigation (they have to jump through a lot of hurdles first and the prison can and often does make those hurdles insurmountable).

They do file a lot of criminal re-appeals and post conviction relief and the like.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah I would assume all the appeals is included in that but :shrug:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They do file a lot of criminal re-appeals and post conviction relief and the like.

Also incoherent filings in high profile cases. I think the DNC / Russia case has had something like 50 “amicus” filings by prisoners.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I remember reading that over 90% of all cases filed in many jurisdictions are from prisoners who have nothing better to do than file litigation all day.

And the remaining 10% are murders by MS-13 members!

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Here in Los Angeles I bet unlawful detainer is a lions share.

tom kite
Feb 12, 2009

Fiance wants a prenup. Neither of us own anything but she wants to protect her pension and savings. She spoke to two lawyers: one offered to draw it up for a flat $6k, another wanted a $3500 retainer; both give a modest discount through a legal aid service. Are either of these proposals reasonable? We're in Los Angeles if that matters

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tom kite posted:

Fiance wants a prenup. Neither of us own anything but she wants to protect her pension and savings. She spoke to two lawyers: one offered to draw it up for a flat $6k, another wanted a $3500 retainer; both give a modest discount through a legal aid service. Are either of these proposals reasonable? We're in Los Angeles if that matters

lol $6k for a zero asset prenup. LA must be the place to lawyer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Motronic posted:

lol $6k for a zero asset prenup. LA must be the place to lawyer.

A government pension in the state of California is a pretty sizable asset that become a massive bargaining chip in a divorce.
I dunno how much it would actually cost though.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If your fiance wants a pre-nup that's a red flag that she doesn't respect the bonds of holy matrimony as a lifelong commitment

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

tom kite posted:

They would not have been reasonable when and where I practiced family law.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

euphronius posted:

Are you including the crazy person surcharge in your assessment?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

tom kite posted:

That's fuckin nuts. Our firm in Texas does complex ones for like $1,500.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

euphronius posted:

:same:

I’d be surprised if a simple prenup for someone who has nothing and just wants to protect retirement cost more than a few hundred dollars.

Dreadwind
Dec 1, 2009

Random question:

If there isn't an explicit agreement on the price of services before services are rendered, how legally obligated is one to pay whatever the service provider charges?

I keep hearing horror stories from hospitals ($12 for a cough drop, god knows how much for anything real), but do hospitals post publicly how much everything costs? I feel like they must, but everyone seems to be blindsided by the bill at the end so I'm just wondering how exactly that works and is justified legally. Obviously the approach of ," Well that's absurd, I'm not paying that," doesn't work so I'm just wondering why not?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Dreadwind posted:

Random question:

If there isn't an explicit agreement on the price of services before services are rendered, how legally obligated is one to pay whatever the service provider charges?

I keep hearing horror stories from hospitals ($12 for a cough drop, god knows how much for anything real), but do hospitals post publicly how much everything costs? I feel like they must, but everyone seems to be blindsided by the bill at the end so I'm just wondering how exactly that works and is justified legally. Obviously the approach of ," Well that's absurd, I'm not paying that," doesn't work so I'm just wondering why not?

Lol sweet summer child

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Dreadwind posted:

Random question:

A good question for a thread of lawyers, a profession whose final bills have definitely never blindsided anyone.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Very broad IP question. Given that IP "rights" originate from a differently constructed source than other rights in the constitution, how much leeway does the government, or the executive, have in altering or enforcing those rights. Could President Trump (with the cooperation of Congress) federalize the secret recipe for Coca Cola? How about the patent on the McRib? Would either be considered a taking necessarily subject to restitution? I know that IP is generally delegated; are there any particular limits on its delegation?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Very broad IP question. Given that IP "rights" originate from a differently constructed source than other rights in the constitution, how much leeway does the government, or the executive, have in altering or enforcing those rights. Could President Trump (with the cooperation of Congress) federalize the secret recipe for Coca Cola? How about the patent on the McRib? Would either be considered a taking necessarily subject to restitution? I know that IP is generally delegated; are there any particular limits on its delegation?
What is delegation of IP?

Patents and copyrights are in effect subject to eminent domain, 28 USC 1498
Trade secrets are property subject to the takings clause. Ruckelshaus v. Monsanto

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

incogneato posted:

A good question for a thread of lawyers, a profession whose final bills have definitely never blindsided anyone.

Lawyers are actually extremely up front and detailed on costs

Clients ignore the info and then call every day for 20 minutes to complain about their ex wife who didn’t return a text about a school event in 15 minutes

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

euphronius posted:

Lawyers are actually extremely up front and detailed on costs

Clients ignore the info and then call every day for 20 minutes to complain about their ex wife who didn’t return a text about a school event in 15 minutes

Up front about the hourly rate, sure, but it's not always possible to say how much time will ultimately be billed to a case. I suppose blindsided can imply something misleading by the one doing the billing, which I didn't intend. I was really just making a bad joke about the fact that a contract for services does not need to state the final bill up front to be valid, as that's often impossible.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What you do is write a letter saying you disagree with the bill but offer to pay a lesser Amount and include that amount . The lawyer will cash the check and then you win because the check was full accord and satisfaction for their claims !

(This won’t work)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

euphronius posted:

What you do is write a letter saying you disagree with the bill but offer to pay a lesser Amount and include that amount . The lawyer will cash the check and then you win because the check was full accord and satisfaction for their claims !

(This won’t work)

It will if you include three peppercorns!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

joat mon posted:

It will if you include three peppercorns!

This guy has the best lawyer jokes.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's a lawyer joke that actually made you lol?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

joat mon posted:

What is delegation of IP?

Patents and copyrights are in effect subject to eminent domain, 28 USC 1498
Trade secrets are property subject to the takings clause. Ruckelshaus v. Monsanto

There’s also an active attempt to claim that certain administrative cancellations of patents require compensation under the Takings Clause (it won’t go anywhere).

I agree that the question about IP being delegated makes no sense.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

It's so cold outside, my lawyer is putting his hands in his own pockets

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Dreadwind posted:

Random question:

IANAL, but I do know the answer to this question: the document you're talking about is called a chargemaster. It is completely different from hospital to hospital, and not only is it not public, but it is considered a "trade secret." There is no requirement it be reasonable, consistent, or have any sort of quality control. A doctor could prescribe you 200mg of Tylenol, and the hospital could charge you $12 for two 100mg pills one day, and $85 for one 200mg pill the next day, and that would be fine.

A reporter from Vox tried to find out how much his son's birth would cost ahead of time. You can watch the video here.

tl;dr: healthcare in the U.S. is completely loving insane.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Turtlicious posted:

Dewey Cheatem and Howe is always great the first time you hear it.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Turtlicious posted:

Me: does you client have a settlement demand?
Any plaintiff’s attorney: my client demand $x of money

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lowness 72 posted:

Dewey Cheatem and Howe is always great the first time you hear it.

There's a whole family of very successful lawyers in my hometown all named Howe, too. As a result I didn't even realize that line was a joke the first couple times I heard it.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
What do you call a bus full of lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Discendo Vox posted:

28 USC 1498

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Thanks for your answers. Short version is I’m contemplating systematized eminent domain-style determinations on drug patents and other FDA-subject IP, which would potentially entail shifting some responsibilities or procedures away from USPTO, either to fda or something directly administrative. Appears viable so far.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
tired: don't talk to the cops without a lawyer
wired:
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1025129268920107008

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I need confirmation that I'm not losing my mind on this.

New Jersey Law On Venue:
4:3-2. Venue in the Superior Court
(a) Where Laid. Venue shall be laid by the plaintiff in Superior Court actions as
follows: (1) actions affecting title to real property or a possessory or other interest
therein, or for damages thereto, or appeals from assessments for improvements, in the
county in which any affected property is situate;

In a real estate breach of contract case, the judge found that the venue should not be changed to the county where the real estate was located because the plaintiff was only seeking monetary damages.

Judge is a massive retard, right?

SickZip fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 3, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Judges can probably chance venue wherever they want.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SickZip posted:

I need confirmation that I'm not losing my mind on this.

New Jersey Law On Venue:
4:3-2. Venue in the Superior Court
(a) Where Laid. Venue shall be laid by the plaintiff in Superior Court actions as
follows: (1) actions affecting title to real property or a possessory or other interest
therein, or for damages thereto, or appeals from assessments for improvements, in the
county in which any affected property is situate;

In a real estate breach of contract case, the judge found that the venue should not be changed to the county where the real estate was located because the plaintiff was only seeking monetary damages.

Judge is a massive retard, right?

Read a little further. Next section of that code clarifies that changing venue is at the discretion of the judge if venue is not proper according to 4:3-2 plus another part of the venue section may be applicable anyways if you live in a town that sits across multiple counties.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Edit: Nevermind, got it answered!

Elentor fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 3, 2018

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Nice! posted:

Read a little further. Next section of that code clarifies that changing venue is at the discretion of the judge if venue is not proper according to 4:3-2 plus another part of the venue section may be applicable anyways if you live in a town that sits across multiple counties.

Its not a town across multiple countries and it might be at the discretion of the judge but a little farther down:

quote:

At any time prior to the filing and service of the first answer
by any defendant to the complaint, plaintiff may apply ex parte for an order changing
venue to any other county in which venue may be properly laid. The application shall be
granted unless it appears that there is good cause for its denial. An order of denial shall
state the reasons with specificity.

Really I would have prefered "the venue isn't changing because gently caress You" to the nonsense I got. I can't say I'm filled with confidence in this judge at the moment.

Now instead of going to the courthouse that I live within a mile of, that is also within a mile of the property this is about, I get to across a third of the state because the plaintiff's LLC is setup there.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Oooh, this is very much my poo poo.

Venue is mandatory in the situs of the real property only when title or the property itself is at issue. In other words, so long as who owns or has a lien on the property, who damaged the property, or in what proportion they own it is at issue in the case, then venue must be in the county where the property is situated.

In the case you described, where the parties aren't fighting over the ownership of the land itself, only damages, then venue is permissive in the county where the land it situated, and also in the county where the contract was to be performed, where the breach occurred, or where the defendant resides.