Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Narai with an Atlanta is :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Nothing like the smug satisfaction when some crazy rear end in a top hat screams at you in chat about how bad you suck why aren't you helping blah blah. Then topping the leader board with him toward the bottom.

(Dude was out in a corner by himself chasing a Cleveland, in his Roma, with 3 BBS between me and him. I was in an Atlanta, burning down a Tirpitz and a Colorado and killed the enemy Atlanta bwfore dying).

Even better that we ended up in the same match immediately after, on opposite teams, and I outscored him even though they won.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Redeye Flight posted:

It's insane. The Emerald comes with twelve tubes in four launchers stock, two to a side. The upgrade brings that to SIXTEEN.

You can do some real stupid poo poo with that thing.

The Emerald's torpedoes would be pretty great, if only they weren't on the Emerald.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Apologies about that game on Two Brothers, donkeyhotay. However, you deserved it for driving a battleship.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Heartcatch posted:

Apologies about that game on Two Brothers, donkeyhotay. However, you deserved it for driving a battleship.

bb's ftw

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

toadee posted:

First and foremost is the captain skill "concealment expert". It's a 4 point skill, so you'll need at least a 10 point captain to get it, but it is absolutely vital for DD captains, for obvious reasons. As an aside the optimal first ten points for any DD captain other than for the tier 10 Russian main line is: preventative maintenance, last stand, survivability expert, and them concealment expert. From there it will diverge based on nation.

I disagree slightly. Survivability expert, for example, is great on certain ships—usually gunboats and cap contesters—but not that useful for the main IJN line.

Also, once you hit the Khab on the russian main DD line, I would recommend retraining as CE is a wasted 4 point skill for that ship.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I've had the Richelieu for a few days now, and I can sum up the ship with an anecdote from a game today: A DM drifts slowly out from an island, 10KM ahead of me, perfectly broadside and moving slowly. I aim right in the middle at the water line and open fire. Four shells hit the water in front of it, four shells hit the water behind of it, and it reverses back into cover while I reload.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

I've had the Richelieu for a few days now, and I can sum up the ship with an anecdote from a game today: A DM drifts slowly out from an island, 10KM ahead of me, perfectly broadside and moving slowly. I aim right in the middle at the water line and open fire. Four shells hit the water in front of it, four shells hit the water behind of it, and it reverses back into cover while I reload.

Had the same experience with this crappy boat, its just a bigger Dunkerque.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

I disagree slightly. Survivability expert, for example, is great on certain ships—usually gunboats and cap contesters—but not that useful for the main IJN line.

Also, once you hit the Khab on the russian main DD line, I would recommend retraining as CE is a wasted 4 point skill for that ship.

I totally disagree and so does everyone I've seen who plays DDs at a super unicum level. Every single DD other than not-DDs like Khab goes PM/LS/SE/CE, there is no option. If you aren't getting shot at in your IJN DD then you aren't playing aggressive enough, and you need every bit of health you can get. SE is an absolutely massive HP increase in terms of percentage in a DD.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

toadee posted:

I totally disagree and so does everyone I've seen who plays DDs at a super unicum level. Every single DD other than not-DDs like Khab goes PM/LS/SE/CE, there is no option. If you aren't getting shot at in your IJN DD then you aren't playing aggressive enough, and you need every bit of health you can get. SE is an absolutely massive HP increase in terms of percentage in a DD.

Plus your stealth means you ABSOLUTELY should be contesting caps and getting out front to spot, but not duking it out in a fair fight with guns.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

I swear the ship has different sigma for shooting cruisers or battleships. I sort of dont even bother shooting cruisers in it, even if you land a hit it'll generally overpen them. The guns do get juicey pen damage when shooting battleships from just about every angle though and because of that i love the richy, it's my T8 of choice these days.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Hi, take SE on all your DDs. Especially IJN ones.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
The anniversary bundles are pretty dismal, there's 4 bundles, each with two ships + 6pt commanders + some economic signals:

Mikasa + Tachibana (no signals) $17.31

Okhotnik + Murmansk (signals x25) $30.65

Z-39 + Graf Spee (signals x50) $50.20

Gascogne + Aigle (signals x100) $74.70

Bundles are available until August 10th.

There's no real discount on the ships, but the lovely commander and a few flags are free. IMO these would be poor deals in isolation, but when the summer sale is selling ships for 30-50% off they seem especially bad.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 2, 2018

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Just like the summer sale, it's a bunch of ships I already have mixed with a few I don't care about. :byewhore:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Gross.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
hmm well something changed since the last time i played. any suggestions on what to spend 170k free xp and 30mil credits on

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Edinburgh to Neptune is so fantastic. It's maybe even better than Leander to Fiji. Even with two completely absurdly bad teams (one lost a game on Epicenter in about 7 minutes, I was our team's only two kills), I'm averaging 100k in my first few games and I don't see how I can't just automatically pump out 100k+ no matter what. Every smoke is like an automatic 40k worth of dakka, and now I finally have a reasonable pile of torps. Jesus I can't wait for Mino.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

The anniversary bundles are pretty dismal, there's 4 bundles, each with two ships + 6pt commanders + some economic signals:

Mikasa + Tachibana (no signals) $17.31

Okhotnik + Murmansk (signmals x25) $30.65

Z-39 + Graf Spee (signals x50) $50.20

Gascogne + Aigle (signals x100) $74.70

Bundles are available until August 10th.

There's no real discount on the ships, but the lovely command and a few flags are free. IMO these would be poor deals in isolation, but when the summer sale is selling ships for 30-50% off they seem especially bad.

who the gently caress buys these? These are expensive and also horrible :[

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

hmm well something changed since the last time i played. any suggestions on what to spend 170k free xp and 30mil credits on

free xping past whatever crappy t9 you're stuck on

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

pokchu posted:

free xping past whatever crappy t9 you're stuck on

this except T8 because T9 doesn't get turbo MM hosed like T8 does.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

well i seem to have reached tier 7 nearly across the board for japan, germany, soviets, and the americans so which of their T8s is the least painful

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well i seem to have reached tier 7 nearly across the board for japan, germany, soviets, and the americans so which of their T8s is the least painful

The Kiev and Chapayev are both fun as all hell.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

oh good because my soviet cruiser captain is the most maxed out

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

UMAT isn't a goon clan tag that I recognise

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Pacra posted:

who the gently caress buys these? These are expensive and also horrible :[

I want a gascogne but not that badly

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

DonkeyHotay posted:

I want a gascogne but not that badly

It’s like a baby republique you’d love it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Heartcatch posted:

Hi, take SE on all your DDs. Especially IJN ones.

No thanks, I would really struggle justifying the expenditure of points and retraining costs.

In fact, I can think of very few situations I personally get in with my DDs I have specifically not taken SE for that the extra hit points would matter much.

Maybe this is because I am not UNICOM, but here is the thing... I am not really trying to be.

Also just because some asshat like Flamu says “use this build,” it doesn’t actually follow he is right, or at least he is right when it comes to what is going to work best for everyone.

PS. I believe I said CE is super important to DDs, except the Khab... which makes it one of those annoying Tier Xs you really have to blow 450 gold to retrain a captain for.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

ZombieLenin posted:

No thanks, I would really struggle justifying the expenditure of points and retraining costs.

In fact, I can think of very few situations I personally get in with my DDs I have specifically not taken SE for that the extra hit points would matter much.

Maybe this is because I am not UNICOM, but here is the thing... I am not really trying to be.

Also just because some asshat like Flamu says “use this build,” it doesn’t actually follow he is right, or at least he is right when it comes to what is going to work best for everyone.

PS. I believe I said CE is super important to DDs, except the Khab... which makes it one of those annoying Tier Xs you really have to blow 450 gold to retrain a captain for.

Not really, the Khaba build doesn't change from the Minsk and up if you don't care about EM. The annoying Rus build is Ognevoi-Udaloi-Grozovoi

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

If you've never gone dark with like 1200hp remaining after getting spotted while going deep to spot/finish off an enemy DD/got caught by a plane or something while trying to get an angle you are DDing WAY too passive man. SE on a DD is one of the highest point to return investments in the game too. On mid to upper tier IJN DDs it's like 10% or more health boost.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh good because my soviet cruiser captain is the most maxed out

Yeah the Chappy is fragile as hell but with IFHE the guns hit pretty hard. Also with CE your radar is longer range than your detection, so as soon as you get spotted you can pop radar.

Russian cruisers aren't for everyone but if you've played the Shchors then you know what to expect.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

El Disco posted:

Yeah the Chappy is fragile as hell but with IFHE the guns hit pretty hard. Also with CE your radar is longer range than your detection, so as soon as you get spotted you can pop radar.

Russian cruisers aren't for everyone but if you've played the Shchors then you know what to expect.

The chapy also happens to completely dominate ranked tier 8

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

pokchu posted:

The chapy also happens to completely dominate ranked tier 8

This before or after cleveland went to t8? The cleveland has a higher rof than the chapy while still having radar. And hydro and dfaa.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

Okay. That's a personal decision and I'm glad you feel so strongly about it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Having a dude freak out about kill stealing because my fires were killing off enemy ships is pretty neat.

Also what's the proper amount of health to have in a match because despite using 2 of my heals I "sat in the back taking no damage" all match.

E: I know the Conqueror has a... reputation in the community but I genuinely try to be a good team player in it :saddowns:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 3, 2018

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Having a dude freak out about kill stealing because my fires were killing off enemy ships is pretty neat.

Also what's the proper amount of health to have in a match because despite using 2 of my heals I "sat in the back taking no damage" all match.

E: I know the Conqueror has a... reputation in the community but I genuinely try to be a good team player in it :saddowns:

Pubbies are unaware of the other rep concerning that heal. The fact you were at 3/4ths health means you weren't getting. Even the truth was you dipping to 25% before you super heal it back up.

Basically ignore those people.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
If you haven't spent all your heals by the end of a match you weren't playing aggressive enough :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Pubbies are usually stupid about how long it takes some ships to get places. I've been pinged in my new mexico before for being in the spawn area when really the new mex is fat and slow enough that it takes a good bit to actually get out of there :v:

bloom posted:

If you haven't spent all your heals by the end of a match you weren't playing aggressive enough :colbert:

If you die before using more than one of your heals you were playing too aggressively though :colbert:

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

bloom posted:

EponymousMrYar posted:

If you die before using more than one of your heals you were playing too aggressively though :colbert:

If you don't use premium heals and Superintendent you aren't willing to commit enough. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

EponymousMrYar posted:

This is also true.

To be a bit more serious, although I would hope no one here needs to be told this, the heals are an important part of a BB's toolkit and if you frequently find yourself not using them you aren't tanking enough damage for your team. Of course there's exceptions, sometimes teams melt too fast and such, but generally speaking if you aren't getting shot at in a BB you're not doing your job.