Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Technically posting in this thread makes you self-employed, so you have to remember to do estimated quarterly posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Hoodwinker posted:

I'm going to file my SA-4 with a single shitposting allowance.

Why wait until April to post? Sign on this here form and you can start posting* now!

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Just posting is theft

Gary Johnson 2020

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Barry posted:

Completely disagree. Plenty of other threads to post inane bullshit, I want to laugh at horse trailer co-signatures here.

No, what you've done completely is misunderstand.

Funny Reddit links are good, and necessary, but they are only one part of this thread's complete breakfast.

Some dumb rear end rule about cutting chatter will be to the detriment of this thread. Those links are excellent conversation starters.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My coworker today: I hate saving in my 401k, feels like such a waste since I don’t know that I’m even going to live long enough to retire.

She also didn’t like my suggestion to just stop contributing, eat what she wants and buy a motorcycle.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

quote:

Accept new full-time offer and juggle current full-time job remotely to have two salaries? Any consequence to this? Any advice on the financial side of this?

I’m in a unique situation where I currently make $135,000 annually. I report directly to the CEO and our company’s officers are located all across the country. Every meeting I do is phone based and all work is facilitated through email. I’m bored out of my mind and have a few offers lined up that would require on-site participation. I’m considering seeing if I could accept the new full time offer and juggle my current job to have two salaries and boost my income significantly.

My thoughts are I could just respond to emails via phone and schedule calls during my new jobs lunch break/after work hours (different time zones)... I’m viewing it as the worst that can happen is my current company catches on and fires me and then I just do my new job full-time.

Is there any legal consequence for this type of work situation? Does it impact taxes other than having to file to W-2’s and having a higher taxable income?

Is there any reason I shouldn’t do this? This could potentially be a huge injection of cash to my income, looking for advice on how to navigate this in regards to its role of how it will impact my personal financial situation (could wipe out big parts of my mortgage for example)

Surely it would be impossible for both jobs to fire me when they figure out why I'm half-assing things.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

StormDrain posted:

My coworker today: I hate saving in my 401k, feels like such a waste since I don’t know that I’m even going to live long enough to retire.

She also didn’t like my suggestion to just stop contributing, eat what she wants and buy a motorcycle.

As usual most people are bullshitting when they say things like that. Your advice is still good though as you should live life to the fullest if you think you'll die early.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Inept posted:

Surely it would be impossible for both jobs to fire me when they figure out why I'm half-assing things.

You'd be surprised at how easy some stupidly high paying jobs really are. If more people understood this, we'd be too busy sharpening our guillotines to keep this thread alive

Income inequality is extremely a thing...oh well, if you can't beat em join them. I've moonlighted at other jobs while at my full time jobs before with great success, though not with a full time side job. That seems...risky

E: he does say he's extremely bored out of his mind, I'm gonna lean towards another case of overpayed and underworked. It's pretty common, as is the frustration and desire to do something else even though the money is good

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 3, 2018

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
We [M/F both 33] are making no financial progress due to my husband's spending on his hobby, married 3 years

quote:

Husband and I began dating 6 years ago. Our marriage was 3 years ago after he finished school (I have a Bachelor's degree and he has a Master's.)
For the past three years since marriage I've worked at two jobs combining to roughly 40 hours/week. Some of our savings are from my earnings, and some are from his parents' inheritance. Our goal is to buy a small house. The city we live in is relatively inexpensive, but a down payment on a house of course still requires saving.
This has become extremely hard for us to do because of my husband's spending habits. He's very good with money, except when it comes to his hobby, then it's like he just spends with no care. He's had a collection of cat figurines since we met, for years has been growing this collection and adding even more rare or expensive items. He has purchased genuine ceramic artifacts that could be in museums. He finds them on ebay, historical associations, all kinds of places. Sometimes they're being auctioned and he explodes in early on with an offer of thousands of dollars right off the bat to secure his win. At this point he has so many cat figurines there's not even enough space to display them all so a lot just sit in boxes. The spare room he uses as an office has boxes of ceramic cats, china cats, jade cats, crystal cats, every material of cat you can imagine stacked from floor to ceiling against one of the walls.
I've tried in the past to talk to him about my concern with this but I always ended up feeling like a controlling wife. Especially because like I said some of our savings is what he inherited. Technically that is his money.
Well recently (past few months) he's been focused exclusively on buying authentic ones from ancient cultures. As you can imagine those prices are very high. I finally reached my breaking point after he purchased a ceramic cat-shaped Moche drinking vessel for ten thousand bucks. I had to tell him point blank today that at this rate we will never be able to afford the house. He's chewing through his inheritance.
The more I think about it the more angry I get that my salary is effectively going either to something just for him, or to replace what he spends on something just for him. We agreed years back that the point of combining finances is because the things we pay for will benefit both of us.
Now I feel like I've almost been played. This is not what I agreed to. I'm working for our standard living expenses, the house, and joint indulgences now and then. I am not the cash cow for funding his hobby.
I told this to my husband. I laid it all out and he responded by telling me that I never said the shared savings were "only for food, bills, and the house." That I should have told him "my rules" for how he spends his money. I told him this is why I've bitten my tongue, because he acts like I have demanded he give up his hobby, or allow me to monitor his spending. I said very clearly I'm not asking for that, just for recognition that he's spending excessively. I asked if he actually wants to own our own home still? He said yes, but does not see that his spending habits are the reason we're not getting any closer.
This is really frustrating, I'm about to tear my hair out. What do I do to get through to him? I feel like we're on separate teams and he doesn't understand that reaching a joint goal takes effort on BOTH sides. It shouldn't be hard not to blow four to five-figure amounts on items for a hobby if he wants the house.

Tl;dr: Today, I confronted my husband over the fact that despite me working two jobs to support us for the last three years, we're nowhere near our goal of buying a house. He actually had the brass balls to defend pissing my money down the drain on his ceramic cat collection.

Edit: When asked about her husband's job:

quote:

He browses Craigslist and other local boards so that he can get paid under the table and not have to pay income taxes or his student loans. He picks up a good amount of odd jobs like helping fix people's cars, painting houses, and yard and garden care but it's not consistent so his income is usually in the form of cash that he uses to buy his personal expenses like clothes and activities with his friends.

quote:

Ughhh I've suggested selling some of the cats before, never brought it up again after he had a panic attack and started throwing them at the wall. It was like he was possessed, it scares me even remembering it.

Propaniac fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 3, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah that's the stuff.

Edit: oh my god those edits are delightful.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 3, 2018

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Jebus.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
On the other hand, when you date a guy for three years with a large growing figurine cat collection you kind of assume the risk you're marrying a weirdo. I mean, it isn't like he's blowing cash on a secret family or a hidden heroin habit. At some point you look around his apartment and see all of the tiny cats staring back at you and go "yep, this is what I want my life to be now."

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
The fact that he srill openly updates the little spending tracker implies that yep, she should have reigned this in a long time ago. It sucks that he's taking advantage of her but he's not going to magically fix himself.

This would be a tired cliche if it wasn't so drat fitting:

:sever:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

So he simultaneously has a large inheritence and is evading his student loans? Where did she find this bozo?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

"The loans more than the income tax. He says if he gets a job where he has to report his earnings, he won't be able to keep any money himself because it would all have to go to loans so he's stuck. I mean, I see his worry. What is the purpose of having a decent job if you can't even keep your earnings from it? He would not be able to contribute to saving for the house even with a normal job. He's not gaming the system because he's not on any government benefits, he works for cash instead."

And she thinks she'll be buying a house with this guy!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

So he simultaneously has a large inheritence and is evading his student loans? Where did she find this bozo?

quote:

His loan amount is twice what the inheritance was[...]He's just said they'd take his paycheck. His total loan amount is 200K so they'll take his checks until he's made that amount.

How can you be 33 and not question your cat connoisseur husband telling you 100% of his wages would be garnished if he worked a real job.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Inept posted:

How can you be 33 and not question your cat connoisseur husband telling you 100% of his wages would be garnished if he worked a real job.

Engineers are often remarkably good liars just because they have an answer for everything regardless of whether a question was asked.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The plot thickens when people ask OP if she's sure her husband even has a degree, and someone specifically asks if she's ever seen the diploma:

quote:

He said it's at his dad's house because first the school withheld it after he wasn't able to make the 1K loan payment, and he told me he'd be getting it in the mail later. He had to pay the 1K first. A few months later we were married, by then he'd saved enough to pay it so he expected it in the mail. They sent it to his dad's house for some reason and then his dad got his cancer diagnosis. His dad died about a year later and my husband got the inheritance while his sister got the house, but his sister sold a lot of the stuff so she could sell off the house for money instead. She couldn't sell it for what it's worth so she decided to rent it instead. His degree is either there (this is on the other side of the country) or it could have gotten lost while his sister was sorting through everything. He was out there too while his dad was sick and didn't find it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

blast from the past:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
It's a lot of words to say "one of us is mentally and socially a child, and the other of us is enabling him"

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
WIFE: I work two jobs to support us
HUSBAND: And I collect cat figurines
WIFE: Our budget is 0$

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

evobatman posted:

WIFE: I work two jobs to support us
HUSBAND: And I collect cat figurines
WIFE: Our budget is 0$

WIFE: Sell your cat figurines
HUSBAND: No! *SMASH* If I can't have them no one will!!

*wint looks on*

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Yeah, he said he couldn't walk in graduation because he needed to make a $1k loan payment first. He switches back and forth between whether it's a private loan or a government loan. There's no way he actually graduated. But she says she saw him studying and visited him on campus. I think inside the figurine-hoarding story is one of those "I flunked out of college but managed to hide it from everybody with an elaborate series of deceptions" stories that shows up in /r/relationships with surprising frequency.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
She isn't taking into account the cat figure equity

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

blast from the past:

They made the news: https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappen...-wife-1.4503521

quote:

"Neither of us drink, smoke, do drugs or any of those. So spending $10 or eight dollars on a pop [toy] as opposed to $10 on a pack of cigarettes is OK for us especially when we have something to show for it."

lol

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Midjack posted:

Yeah that's the stuff.

Edit: oh my god those edits are delightful.

That 0 to 100 real quick.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Inept posted:

Do you have the link for this one? I'm curious to see the conversation. Working for a midwest utility I can EASILY see someone with that level of salary having enough capacity to stretch themselves into two fulltime jobs.

Curious to know the answers to the questions he poses about potential consequences (other than dwindling performance leading to termination) such as the employers finding out about eachother through non-obvious means. Benefit coordination? I don't know, but it's an interesting discussion I think.

I work in operations and can barely find time to play guitar 10 minutes a day so just a fantasy here.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

How to pay off 720k in student loans.

Man, that's insane. But if he has that much student loan debt, then at least he is a doctor. If he buckles down for 5-10 years, then he won't be ruined by this.

quote:

In four years of undergraduate, I managed to rack up 720,000 in student loans that I have to start paying back in 2 months. They were through a private loan company. I don't know how I'm going to be able to do it. My monthly payments are nearly 3k. I went to a private arts university for a degree in what is basically videography.

Basically, I'm screwed.

I make 36,000 a year from my regular job and then a few thousand more to that from a freelance side hustle. This is barely enough for me to survive as it is. I don't see any options for me short of just straight up killing myself at this point. I don't want to default because my dad was my cosigner and I couldn't do that to him. Is there anything I can do to lower my monthly payments or get it forgiven? I know forgiveness is a long shot but I'll try anything. Thanks

EDIT: 8 30k loans, at 11.75 percent interest. with my interest rate they are roughly 90k that I have to pay back. I went to a private arts school for 4 years and paid housing all four years. 8 loans because I took them out per semester.

EDIT EDIT: I also live in NYC so cost of living is extremely high.

:dogbutton:

quote:

What are the best pets and resources for low-income people?

A slightly different take on it, but I'll throw my hat in the ring with regards to horses or other livestock.

If you have horses when you fall into poverty, and they mean the world to you, there are things you can do to keep them. Horses can be great poverty pets.

Move out to a very rural place with a lot of property. This isn't feasible to all, but feasible to some. For example, I'm a work-at-home artist, and can live anywhere. I rent an ancient mobile home on many acres for under $600. Also, the landlord lets me rotate the horses around his different properties, so they don't turn a single field into a dry lot.

Do not shoe your horses. Join the barefoot movement. Learn to trim hooves. Save money. I've never known a horse that didn't toughen up in time, no matter what the naysayers say. And even if the horse doesn't toughen up, an occasional set of Renegade boots is way cheaper than shoes.

No grain. Or very little grain. A diet of mostly grass is just fine. More natural.

Do all vaccines and deworming yourself.

Foster a good relationship with your vet. This way, they're likely to come when you have an emergency, and let you do payments afterward.

Be a competent trainer/handler. You should be experienced with horses, and not some newb who has merely watched a few videos. If a behavior problem arises, you should be able to nip it in the bud. You want your horses' attitudes golden. You want them broke, and well behaved. This way, if you do have to give them up, it will be easy to find a good home for them.

quote:

Do I really need to have retirement savings?

I’m wondering if it’s truly necessary to have a retirement plan. As I get older, I do plan on investing a lot into real estate. I hear people say that retirement plans don’t really work because of inflation ruining your interest. Is this true? Is it still necessary to have one? I’ll still have other forms of saving anyway for personal stuff, but is retirement really necessary?

quote:

I never 1,000 dollars a day in my life that's how hard it is.

I take cabs and buses or have to walk to places or beg my family to take my mother and I places around town.

I was born with no sports talent nd I have to count on moving gigs to make money which is about 60 a month or 200.

how can I get out of poverty and into upper middle class because my next step is horse betting because I'm tired of doing the same thing everyday and not getting no where.

quote:

Is what we're doing going to cause trouble or did we luck out?

We stopped paying the credit cards years ago. Probably 3-4 years now. We had considered going bankrupt a while back. Even got a lawyer. But then, just never went through with it. I've now settled with 3 of the 7 credit card companies I owe. Boyfriend still has 6 credit cards that he owes money. One of boyfriends companies has served him papers to go to court, but we did not go. Nothing has happened for a year or two and it will go off of our credit report soon, so I think they gave up.

3 years ago boyfriend was a private contractor for a taxi service and we didn't understand how he taxes worked. Ended up owing a lot of money and I'm not entirely sure why we haven't filed since. I think it's a combination of being scared and lazy. But the IRS didn't seem to notice, so are we fine? Nothing has happened. No warning, no problems.

We really have just been slackasses for years now and I want it to be different. I am 26. Boyfriend 30. Like I said, we both are servers at restaurants and we actually don't hate our jobs, but Im ready to pursue my passions (whatever those may be!). But I want to figure things out. Experience life. Travel. And for years we haven't been able to do anything. For the past couple years I've been dreaming about having an urban farm, but I know I can't move forward very much if I am being crippled by all this debt. Did we get lucky/blessed to escape our debt and it's okay to keep doing what we're doing or is it still possible to cause trouble later?

quote:

Actually starting to consider being homeless to save money

live in Vail, CO. That may send up shouts of shock, awe, or anger for some of you, already. I have a corporate job here outside of the resort, but still make only about $35k a year. I pay $900/mo to live in a bedroom with a bathroom. No kitchen, no laundry, no living room, just bed, dresser, closet, bathroom. This is considered to be a steal here. Setting the picture for those not in the know. I moved here three years ago with a healthy bank account and no debt. I currently have three cards maxed out for about $6,000, a nearly empty (to the point I have to worry about eating) bank account that money disappears from as soon as my paycheck is direct deposited. I do make 10% contributions to the company 401k (8%, really, with 2% of match), and put about $100/mo in to my own stock portfolio (which I just put a sell order on about half of so that I can pay a car repair - was originally going to be for a much needed vacation). That's where I'm at. I have been keeping my eye out for jobs and housing that would improve this for... well, almost as long as I've lived here. This is a town of 2000 year-round residents, there are VERY few opportunities.

What do I do? I've never been happy living anywhere outside of the mountains, but the rent is insane. This stretches down valley, into other valleys, the entire loving state of Colorado, which has been my home for a decade, is no longer within affordability of anyone making less than $50k for the most part, thanks to all the rich asstards moving out here or buying third homes in the state. I love Colorado, can't imagine living anywhere else, but something needs to give. Rents just KEEP climbing, even when you'd think it couldn't possibly go any higher before something bursts. No, the bubble will not burst until this town literally has no work force left.

What do I do? I don't know any ways to save more money, I'm already putting off car repairs. I don't know any way to make more money. But I'm also not finding options that would work ANYWHERE nearby. I would be utterly heart-broken and demoralized if I had to leave the state, not to mention I can't sleep without cannabis and don't want to have to be put on chemical poo poo in some other state that doesn't recognize the health benefits of marijuana. I have no clue what option is left to me other than just setting up my camping gear in the millions of BLM acres around town, and leaving my car at the trailhead overnight with all my belongings in it. Hop trailheads every so often, don't see a problem. There are some trails that go far enough back, no one would ever even know. I do have a good 4WD vehicle. But, then I'm showering at work, have no way to really prepare food for myself (except at work), etc. So with the cost savings would come giant annoyances. Also, come winter, there's no WAY I could survive camping.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6r46e7/how_to_pay_off_720k_in_student_loans/
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8zc6h6/im_financially_ruined/
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8wjr38/do_i_really_need_to_have_retirement_savings/
https://www.reddit.com/r/povertyfinance/comments/8qiow7/help_us_build_the_povertyfinance_wiki_todays/
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/81ziwq/actually_starting_to_consider_being_homeless_to/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 3, 2018

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Holy poo poo. Source on these?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mineaiki posted:

Holy poo poo. Source on these?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6r46e7/how_to_pay_off_720k_in_student_loans/
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8zc6h6/im_financially_ruined/
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8wjr38/do_i_really_need_to_have_retirement_savings/
https://www.reddit.com/r/povertyfinance/comments/8qiow7/help_us_build_the_povertyfinance_wiki_todays/
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/81ziwq/actually_starting_to_consider_being_homeless_to/

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

"Tens of thousands of dollars" for a college interview voice coach.

quote:

Considering College? Maybe You Should Invest in a Coach

Good grades alone are no guarantee of acceptance and the personal essay and interview can often make the difference — either way. “While grades are important, extracurricular activities are just as important, if not more, and will really help you stand out,” said Christopher Rim, president and chief executive of Command Education Group.

“The most exclusive places are 4 percent or 5 percent acceptance, so one in 25 will get in among a pool of really highly qualified people,” said Hafeez Lakhani, founder of Lakhani Coaching. “There are heartbreaking stories every year of a student with a near-perfect SAT score and perfect grades rejected from every Ivy.”

When is the best time to bring in a coach?

Evan Casalino, a senior at Northern Highlands Regional High School in Allendale, N.J., always dreamed about going to Harvard Medical School. As a student, he worked hard, got good grades and even did a summer lab research internship at Harvard to bolster his college application.

But in his freshman year of high school, his father died of sudden cardiac arrest and in his junior year, his mother died of ovarian cancer, leaving him devastated and overwhelmed. Determined to fulfill his academic dream, he needed help. So, he hired a coaching firm, Acceptance Ahead, to guide him through the college application process.

“My favorite story is about parents wanting to set up an education plan for their daughter,” said Carol Gill, founder of Carol Gill Associates, a college counseling and placement firm. “When I met with them, their daughter was 17 months old. They wanted the right prenursery and prekindergarten to get into the Ivys.

Coaches often prepare students using mock interviews where they ask common — and not so common — questions students may face. They also offer tips, such as keeping good eye contact, engaging in conversations with personal anecdotes and, of course, practicing good etiquette, such as showing up on time and turning cellphones off.

“I had a kid take out his phone and say ‘Oh, excuse me, I just have to return this text’ in the middle of the interview,” said Adam Exline, who worked in the admissions department at Sarah Lawrence College, and is now co-director of college counseling at Trevor Day School in New York.

Ms. Geula recalled one student from China, who was soft-spoken and shy. So, Ms. Geula brought in acting and theatrical specialists and had her do improv exercises to get her to project her voice.

The uptick in college coaching has not escaped the attention of college admissions officials.

“We do know that more and more people out there are turning to coaches,” said Jonathan Williams, associate dean and director of admissions at New York University. “It is a much more competitive process than it was five years ago and people are looking for an edge.”

And coaching doesn’t come cheap. A coach can cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars for a one-hour consultation session to tens of thousands of dollars for mentoring over a student's senior year. Some firms offer lower rates or even pro bono work for low-income students.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 3, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

I mean, there are cheaper places to live in Colorado than loving Vail. You can live in the mountains and not live in that specific luxury town. If he insists on living there, living in a tent and getting a gym membership (which will probably still be $150+ a month) is probably GWM.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

$10,000 for a college interview voice coach.

To be fair, if it actually works spending several thousand dollars to get into an elite university probably ends up being GWM due to the returns you get from the brand and connections.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
So I checked out the college from the guy who's $720k in the hole. (http://www.sva.edu)

They have a sweet gif on their front page that is pretty apt.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

blast from the past:

I probably sold the E3 Funkos I got to this guy, those collectors are crazy.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

"Tens of thousands of dollars" for a college interview voice coach.

The real estate market in places like NY, Chicago, and California, and the insane amounts of HELOC leverage it provides for homeowners in places like Arcadia/Irvine/other large city suburbs has made for some insane and bizarre parenting habits that are basically passing bribes to put their kids in top-tier schools/piano classes/youth sportsball teams.

I should preemptively clarify that this is more a suburban parent thing than a ":bahgawd: coastal states" thing.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 3, 2018

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
BWM: Im ready to pursue my passions (whatever those may be!)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

Buying Coffee With Bitcoin Just Got a Step Closer to Reality; NYSE Owner Teams Up With Starbucks for Digital Coffee Payment Tokens

It’s hard to buy coffee with Bitcoin, but Starbucks Corp. may be poised to make that easier.

The beverage retailer is teaming up with one of the world’s biggest exchange operators, Intercontinental Exchange Inc., which just created a venture called Bakkt designed to more tightly integrate digital currencies into global commerce.

Despite Bitcoin’s astronomical surge last year, it’s still not widely used to buy and sell actual goods in most countries. Many startups have sought to take cryptocurrencies mainstream by developing exchanges or payment solutions for merchants, but few have had success connecting all of the necessary players. ICE wants to help change that.

“Bakkt is designed to serve as a scalable on-ramp for institutional, merchant and consumer participation in digital assets by promoting greater efficiency, security and utility,” said Kelly Loeffler, the chief executive officer of Bakkt who was until recently head of communications at ICE. “We are collaborating to build an open platform that helps unlock the transformative potential of digital assets across global markets and commerce.”

As part of the effort, ICE plans to introduce a one-day futures contract in November that differs from derivatives already offered by U.S. competitors CME Group Inc. and Cboe Global Markets Inc. because it’s physically delivered, meaning owners of the contract will get Bitcoin, not cash, upon expiration. Physical delivery is important to some big players in finance who don’t trust the largely unregulated markets where Bitcoin currently trades.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

quote:

Despite Bitcoin’s astronomical surge last year, it’s still not widely used to buy and sell actual goods in most countries.

How dare those fiat loving sheeples still not embrace the revolutionary payment method of wildly fluctuating prices and astronomical transaction fees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
revolut.com actually seems like a useful service, but one of the features they offer is

quote:

Buy and exchange cryptocurrency
You can buy, hold and exchange Bitcoin, Ether and Litecoin with 25 fiat currencies at the best possible exchange rate.