Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

When can I buy one from one of the Government Surplus Auctions?

Coming soon to a police department near you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Cyrano4747 posted:

On the other hand Amazon is WAY behind the curve with their plans for a fleet of self driving delivery vehicles. SAAC has a service that can deliver multiple tens of thousands of MT of product to hundreds of locations across the globe

Two day shipping? Bitch, please. USAF will have it there same day under an hour AND totally self driven. Even the Russians can still manage something similar. SS 18 might be a bit long in the tooth but they’ll never hand off to USPS for last mile delivery.

Didn't someone have a brainwave about using missiles to deliver mail a while back?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

hobbesmaster posted:

Under an hour?

:three drivers speed into a brick wall while juggling demands from the dash mounted Domino's Brand Order Tracker:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

StandardVC10 posted:

Didn't someone have a brainwave about using missiles to deliver mail a while back?

It's been tried, but never really efficiently.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Amazon is looking into it, instead of buying + certifying drones they’re just scooping up old M270s.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

LingcodKilla posted:

Yes. Almost exclusively for 2 years straight and an alternative for the prior two.

Yeah, the move to one man trucks by Loomis and Brinks was a mistake and they are gradually switching back.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Under an hour?

You joke, but SpaceX did a presentation of using their in-development BFR rocket for ballistic passenger/cargo transport. If anything actually comes from it, ehh :shrug: But at least they're the closest anyone's ever been to having the technical capability.

Now getting global permission to become a private ICBM operator is a completely different can of worms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqE-ultsWt0

Of course it's not a new idea. The concept of using hypersonic vehicles that fly on a ballistic trajectory before diving back down has been around for decades, the technology and willingness to spend money on the idea just hasn't been there before.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 3, 2018

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Collateral Damage posted:

If anything actually comes from it, ehh

USAF General Carlton Everhardt, Air Mobility Command posted:

“Think about this. Thirty minutes, 150 metric tons, [and] less than the cost of a C-5,” he continued. In comparison, it would take the service’s cargo aircraft take anywhere from eight to 10 hours to get to the other side of the world. Everhart floated to the idea to Gwynne Shotwell, SpaceX’s president and chief operating officer, who said that could be possible when BFR starts flying in the early 2020s.

“I said, I need to get me some of that. How do I do that?"

https://www.defensenews.com/space/2018/08/02/one-possible-job-for-spacexs-bfr-taking-the-air-forces-cargo-in-and-out-of-space/

From a press conference yesterday. I think he's gonna get him some of that.

It's the Space Force DC-3 :v:

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Dont tell Army about this or we’ll have pallets of orbit-freezefried MREs for field chow from 2022 onwards.

”I know we messed the schedule up and you didnt get to eat so bow theyre dropping another MRE box at our grid before midnight”

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Valtonen posted:

Dont tell Army about this or we’ll have pallets of orbit-freezefried MREs for field chow from 2022 onwards.

”I know we messed the schedule up and you didnt get to eat so bow theyre dropping another MRE box at our grid before midnight”

If they cook on orbital reentry, you don't even have to give the troops heaters.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kesper North posted:

Space Force DC-8, please.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

Shooting Blanks posted:

Hmmmm, let's see....

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/2017/12/11/mythbusting-autonomous-rail-will-come-before-autonomous-cars-and-trucks

The technology for trains is already there, but it's still a liability issue.

Dlr here in London is automated and works fine.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Can’t really do that lest you get misidentified as Xenu

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

JcDent posted:

If they cook on orbital reentry, you don't even have to give the troops heaters.

A rock(et) or something.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

AlexanderCA posted:

A rock(et) or something.

nice

JcDent
May 13, 2013

This actual helped me get the joke.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Normalising ballistic missiles for freight sounds like a great way to get sneak first strike'd in a couple of decades tbh

JcDent
May 13, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Normalising ballistic missiles for freight sounds like a great way to get sneak first strike'd in a couple of decades tbh

Still more humane than Amazon.

Fingerspitzengefuhl
Jul 2, 2007
Krieg ohne Hass

Raenir Salazar posted:

Apparently there's like a sub-LT in his 20's in the CF navy in charge of the entire fuel budget for the Halifax fleet, is this someone that happens in the US Navy or is it because we smol?

If it's much like the Air Force that sub-LT will be nominally supervising a GS-12 with decades of experience, who will be in charge of all major decisions and a fleet of GS-11s and GS-9s who will make sure appropriated money is properly budgeted to be sent down to contracting, where another squadron of experienced civilians under another junior officer will do the actual purchasing and monitor compliance. The junior officers are mostly there to get experience towards their next promotion and to put their name on documents requiring a military signature. That's how AF does it, so it may not be as bad as it sounds.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
US icebreaker acquisition money is potentially being shuffled to fund a domestic program that can be discussed elsewhere on the forums.

But goddammit bring on more ice smashy ships.

https://www.stripes.com/news/coast-guard-icebreaker-funding-reallocated-to-us-mexico-border-wall-1.540857

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
...Well, that'll certainly help ensure Russia's arctic dominance, good job to the Kremlin's team at the White House :sigh:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Are we even going to need icebreakers in the Arctic in the next two decades?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Are we even going to need icebreakers in the Arctic in the next two decades?

Yes, and if anything icebreakers will be more useful because they'll be able to get through more of it.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
It’s a global warming joke, poorly made because I’m experiencing personal warming (fever) and am a bit out of it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

Weird how trucks drive all over the country without liability being a state by state issue right now.

It's actually a giant hassle and a whole industry has developed just to constantly keep the books updated with every little state law change and make sure all vehicles are compliant. It's a massive pain for everyone involved.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

JcDent posted:

Still more humane than Amazon.

Could be both. Could be a first strike on striking Amazon workers.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Thwomp posted:

It's actually a giant hassle and a whole industry has developed just to constantly keep the books updated with every little state law change and make sure all vehicles are compliant. It's a massive pain for everyone involved.

The company I work for (not trucking, consumer product development) spends a lot of money on payroll for people whose only job is to make sure we file the right regulatory forms as well as other regulatory and compliance paperwork for every country we sell in (which is pretty much everywhere). It's hard to grasp the scale of these issues without experiencing them personally.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cat Mattress posted:

Oh please, they'll get the AF's retired 707/135 airframes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Let's get this out onto a TRA.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Cat Mattress posted:

You mean Galactic Confederacy.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Trains could be automated tomorrow. In fact a pretty significant amount of train operation is automated. No one's taken the final step because there hasn't been enough cost pressure for anyone to bother making the capital outlay.

The Docklands Light Railway has been driverless for decades now.

FrozenVent posted:

It’s cheaper to have all the sensors in the road, then all the vehicles can be basically dumb boxes.

You can even save more money on the vehicle by connecting them to one another and having only one big engine pull the others.

You could simplify the self driving system by having it physically constrain the convoy to a specific path.

Except it’s not cheaper at all. Unless you already own all the land you’re proposing to build those tracks on, the people who do are going to want some compensation for it, for one thing. Some of them might not even want to sell, which means you detour around them or try and have the courts force them to let you.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The same issue applies to roads.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Apologies if I've told this story before:

As most of y'all I come from a town called Gander, NL in Canada, which is a big airport in the middle of nowhere. It's peak era was the 1950s and 1960s, (when airplanes could fly across the Atlantic BUT also needed to stop to refuel) and it's been a long slow decline ever since. Anyway, it also became a preferred refueling point for Warsaw pact airliners - the Soivets in particular used to tanker in their own fuel. So early in the 1960s, we get an unofficial visit from Castro, making the trip to Moscow by air. A winter storm dictated an overnight halt, so he did the normal human thing (checked out the gift shop) then stayed in a local hotel, guarded by his own guys and RCMP.

The next day Castro wakes up and it has been snowing all night. Apparently, this is the first time Castro and company have seen snow, and full of enthusiasm, they try tobogganing for the first time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mlmp08 posted:

US icebreaker acquisition money is potentially being shuffled to fund a domestic program that can be discussed elsewhere on the forums.

But goddammit bring on more ice smashy ships.

https://www.stripes.com/news/coast-guard-icebreaker-funding-reallocated-to-us-mexico-border-wall-1.540857

The icebreaker wasn’t cancelled because it’s be best place to get the money.

It’s treason. It is a calculated move to put America behind and Russia ahead.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Treason? I frickin HATE treason!!!

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Dandywalken posted:

Treason? I frickin HATE treason!!!
Not everyone hates treason, though.

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

Kesper North posted:

https://www.defensenews.com/space/2018/08/02/one-possible-job-for-spacexs-bfr-taking-the-air-forces-cargo-in-and-out-of-space/

From a press conference yesterday. I think he's gonna get him some of that.

This will go the same way as the "conventional" ICBM proposal from the Bush years went. Yes your rockets can deliver a payload anywhere in less than an hour, but it'll also start WW3. You retard.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Man, those conventional icbms were so cool though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Just build a smaller missile and stick it on a Mack truck-sized launcher or something. Then you can just fly them into Kandahar or wherever and fire it off. Hell the Russians have been doing that poo poo for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Maybe instead of using ICBMs to haul freight, we could put wings on it and have it fly horizontally, maybe swap out the rocket motors with air breathers for the sake of efficiency.