Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
She would feel at least 50% better if they kept the old back heavy command for sweep. It would open an extra option for GBs and FEEL more like the old Valk.

You can see she's not happy.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Played around with Warden's rework. It feels good. I'm glad he finally, finally has an unblockable.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Warden's really good. A powerful shoulder bash with feint options that isn't a lovely vortex.

Despite all my complaining Valk's rework is growing on me, although highlander and raider counter her hard.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, I personally never really warmed up to the shield tackle and didn't use it much, so that's not a great loss for me. Meanwhile the faster lights and shield crush mixup do seem to give her some more offensive potential. It's still ludicrously difficult to ever get an execution with her. :v:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Meanwhile Warden gets a Free Execution Button now.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Exodee posted:

Apparently that part didn't make the cut, but that's probably an oversight by the devs. Warden was supposed to get 500 ms side lights as well, but they're still 600 as of this moment.
Disregard this, it's just Reddit being dumb. Warden's side lights are properly 500 ms now, making them a lot more useful.

Dreylad posted:

Warden's really good. A powerful shoulder bash with feint options that isn't a lovely vortex.
Yeah, the new shoulder bash feels really strong: the tracking on it is insane, and being able to feint it at any time before launch makes it quite safe too. The new dash attack is surprisingly useful too, since it has Shaman leap levels of range and speed.

Unfortunately I don't think the new unblockable is all that useful in a 1v1: its feint window is just too small to be able to bait out crushing counters with it and it's so slow that it hardly puts any pressure on the opponent. Hopefully they'll tweak both reworks a bit more instead of just calling it a day.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Exodee posted:

Hopefully they'll tweak both reworks a bit more instead of just calling it a day.

lol when have they ever done this. they're gonna call it a month, or two

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

lol when have they ever done this. they're gonna call it a month, or two

valks sweep will be fixed season 8, calling it now

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

New ranked mode is cool. I love playing exclusively against people ten times my rep level. I see Ubisoft is still top notch at ranking algorithms.

e; I'm silver 3 after losing 13 matches, whatever the gently caress that means. This gamemode is trash.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 4, 2018

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

So I just won a ranked match 3-0 with a 4-1 score (I killed Nobushi while she was trying to run away and let me bleed to death, so it was a tie). Then, as I was executing them in the last round, they ragequit. Then this happened.

Yep. I alt-F4'd. That's it, no more ranked for me. I recommend all of you stay far, far away from that mode unless you're actual utter masochists.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

New ranked mode is cool. I love playing exclusively against people ten times my rep level. I see Ubisoft is still top notch at ranking algorithms.

e; I'm silver 3 after losing 13 matches, whatever the gently caress that means. This gamemode is trash.

Sounds like it’s not the game mode that’s trash :smuggo:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Comrayn posted:

Sounds like it’s not the game mode that’s trash :smuggo:

You're right. It's you. You're the trash.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Duel is already filled with all the no-fun nerdlingers, I'm not surprised a ranked duel is even worse about it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I can put up with my blood boiling from being forced to fight people who are absurdly better than me. What made me force-quit the game was when I won a match by a landslide, after all those defeats, and got absolutely nothing for it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The weirdest part about ranked are all those guys who have like 15+ rep, and every single level of that rep in the same character. Goddamn guy, branch out a bit, have some fun.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I assume that they have all their rep in one character because they're having fun with them? I have all but one of my reps in Berserker because I love the playstyle and I want to be good at them, and I just don't want to pick up another character and relearn their dozens of combos and passives.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Perestroika posted:

The weirdest part about ranked are all those guys who have like 15+ rep, and every single level of that rep in the same character. Goddamn guy, branch out a bit, have some fun.

If you change from Conqueror to Raider you immediatly lose all the muscle memory from playing conqueror.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I assume that they have all their rep in one character because they're having fun with them? I have all but one of my reps in Berserker because I love the playstyle and I want to be good at them, and I just don't want to pick up another character and relearn their dozens of combos and passives.

It really depends on how long you've been playing.

Branching out to same styled characters is great in giving you a bit more perspective on how things play out. Berserker and Orochi for example can transfer experience from one to another relatively easy.

Just don't try it on the game mode where you fight people who gave 200 hours into playing one single character yeah

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah, except what isn't transferable between Berserker and Orochi is that Berserker is cool and dope and Orochi is lame and for weeaboos.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Hello friends did they ever fix Revenge being terrible in Domination from the game's launch?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah it's fine now, and getting better as they're just getting rid of gear stats I believe next season.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah, except what isn't transferable between Berserker and Orochi is that Berserker is cool and dope and Orochi is lame and for weeaboos.

there is nothing better in this game than killing people with an Orochi and then spamming any victory pose with the rose petals.

that and the conqueror hip thrust with flames busting out of his shoulders

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Mans posted:

there is nothing better in this game than killing people with an Orochi and then spamming any victory pose with the rose petals.

that and the conqueror hip thrust with flames busting out of his shoulders

wrong, lawbringer and the pony emote

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Dreylad posted:

Yeah it's fine now, and getting better as they're just getting rid of gear stats I believe next season.

Well this answers the question I had as to what gear stats I should give a poo poo about. Hit rep 7 on valk last night and with more time with her she feels a lot better, especially deflecting attacks with light pokes. Kinda bummed that the legendary gear really isn't flashy and fancy though. I got a legendary chest that is the exact same model as the starting default gear :(

Mans posted:

This is super fun with nobushi shaking your chest at decapitated chumps as flowers explode out of you

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I think you all meant to say:
https://i.imgur.com/uvHX1RC.mp4

Speaking of, I've been on a bit of a Shaman roll recently and she's actually really drat fun, without feeling as crazy as she did near release. Nailing a killing blow with the throat bite never gets old. :getin:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Capn Beeb posted:

Well this answers the question I had as to what gear stats I should give a poo poo about. Hit rep 7 on valk last night and with more time with her she feels a lot better, especially deflecting attacks with light pokes. Kinda bummed that the legendary gear really isn't flashy and fancy though. I got a legendary chest that is the exact same model as the starting default gear :(

Some of the legendary level valk shields are pretty fantastic, so you'll get your swag on in a couple of rep levels.

For some reason I'm having a hard time getting the light attack deflect to work.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Should I get this on PS4 if I'm running into problems on PC with being unable to get matched with anyone remotely close to my skill/experience?

I just want to get matched against bads like me and not keep bouncing off this cool game because I'm never learning anything by getting my rear end kicked in ways I'm unable to even process.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It doesn't get better

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I hear the balance is significantly different on consoles since the 30fps lock means it’s almost impossible for any player to reactively parry lights.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Everyone being on controllers also evens the playing field from what I hear.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Is using a controller considered the poorer way to play the game? I tried the keyboard controls when they came out and couldn't make heads or tails of them, went back to my good old Dualshock 3 pretty quickly.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Rainuwastaken posted:

Is using a controller considered the poorer way to play the game? I tried the keyboard controls when they came out and couldn't make heads or tails of them, went back to my good old Dualshock 3 pretty quickly.

It is somewhat less optimal, but not by a huge amount. I'd say the main advantage of m+kb is the ability to do feints quickly and on demand, since you don't have to move your thumb from the stick to the face button and back. Subjectively, it also feels easier to use defensive stances and land last-second parries with the mouse.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Rainuwastaken posted:

Whenever I see competitive pc players stream they tend to be using a controller, so it shouldn't be a big deal regardless. I'd suggest rebinding your feint button to LB or LT though, even if you have to get used to it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

PSA: There's currently an event going on with a different ruleset for Domination: Boosting a zone now grants 4 points a second instead of one, but no longer heals you. Conversely, killing minions doesn't grant any points but does heal you. Anytime a zone is contested, a wall of fire springs up around it, dealing about 30% damage to anybody crossing through. Last but not least, feats are disabled. It's actually pretty fun so far, seeming to lead to more interesting group fights on points and less aimless sprinting about and getting nuked by catapults.

Also, this poo poo never gets old:
https://i.imgur.com/7qnyRRd.mp4
:allears:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
This is free with xbox gold. Is it worth playing? It seems cool in concept but it seems really basic and I'm crappy at it. Like is there depth in the multiplayer? I'm might not see it because I'm spamming moves with a bunch of other new poo poo players. Also are there any classes to use/avoid?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Seltzer posted:

This is free with xbox gold. Is it worth playing? It seems cool in concept but it seems really basic and I'm crappy at it. Like is there depth in the multiplayer? I'm might not see it because I'm spamming moves with a bunch of other new poo poo players. Also are there any classes to use/avoid?

Avoid the shugoki, he's pretty sucky but is also surprisingly good at stomping newbies. Once you know how to counter his super-armor he's pretty trivial to deal with and if you're fighting someone who can parry consistently you're hosed, but new players typically don't know how to do either of those things so you're good there.

every other class is decent, nobody's too overpowered. Conquerer and Orochi are great, and the default Warden just got a rework that makes her quite good. Everyone bitches about the Shamen being OP but I never actually find I have too much trouble dealing with her.

Otherwise, there's actually a fair amount of depth to the game once you start nailing down the mechanics! After about like, 8 hours or so I stopped having to think about what button I needed to press next and my reactions started becoming a lot more intuitive, and then the whole world opens up. It's not as complex as, say, a standard fighting game but honestly I really like that! It's complicated enough to be interesting while still being pretty accessible. There's a ton of ways you can play mind games with your opponent, and clever use of spacing alone can win you fights, let alone feints, parries, moves with soft cancels, et cetera. Once you get the muscle memory down, you'll find yourself no longer spamming moves and actually making interesting decisions about what you want to do next.

If you feel like the game's a bit too basic for you, check out Kensei or Orochi perhaps. They both have a lot of tools to play with that are pretty accessible for new players, and they're both good classes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The PvE arena mode they previewed at Gamescom looks really cool, a little bit like the living towers they have in Mortal Kombat / Injustice.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSmqnZ4MVYU

Holy poo poo this is what I've been wanting since beta, sold

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

So... is it versus bots? I don't understand.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Avoid the shugoki, he's pretty sucky but is also surprisingly good at stomping newbies. Once you know how to counter his super-armor he's pretty trivial to deal with and if you're fighting someone who can parry consistently you're hosed, but new players typically don't know how to do either of those things so you're good there.

every other class is decent, nobody's too overpowered. Conquerer and Orochi are great, and the default Warden just got a rework that makes her quite good. Everyone bitches about the Shamen being OP but I never actually find I have too much trouble dealing with her.

Otherwise, there's actually a fair amount of depth to the game once you start nailing down the mechanics! After about like, 8 hours or so I stopped having to think about what button I needed to press next and my reactions started becoming a lot more intuitive, and then the whole world opens up. It's not as complex as, say, a standard fighting game but honestly I really like that! It's complicated enough to be interesting while still being pretty accessible. There's a ton of ways you can play mind games with your opponent, and clever use of spacing alone can win you fights, let alone feints, parries, moves with soft cancels, et cetera. Once you get the muscle memory down, you'll find yourself no longer spamming moves and actually making interesting decisions about what you want to do next.

If you feel like the game's a bit too basic for you, check out Kensei or Orochi perhaps. They both have a lot of tools to play with that are pretty accessible for new players, and they're both good classes.

Shaman used to be pretty crazy on release, since her lunges came out stupidly fast. Those have since been nerfed to a more reasonable speed, and she seems fairly balanced since then. Well, except for the way she makes Peacekeeper basically entirely redundant :v:

And yeah, both Kensei and Orochi are fine starting characters. Orochi in particular is kinda easymode: All attacks come out very quickly and are decently safe, damage potential on anything is huge, and you get a decent variety of defensive options to boot. On the whole he's not OP or anything, but it is a pretty straightforward and relaxed playstyle unlike, say, Raider or Berserker where you're busy feinting 500 times per second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

So... is it versus bots? I don't understand.
Yeah, it's basically a series of short skirmishes against different enemy team compositions (+mooks and modifiers). Unfortunately it looks like you (or a friend, if you coop) have to own the new season pass to gain access to it, though.

As a sidenote, the two new heroes they showcased look interesting; Nuxia has some kind of command-grab gimmick with her soft-feints while Jiang Jun looks sort of like a heavy version of the Nobushi. (although the demo-player didn't exactly make them look good :v:)

Perestroika posted:

Shaman used to be pretty crazy on release, since her lunges came out stupidly fast. Those have since been nerfed to a more reasonable speed, and she seems fairly balanced since then. Well, except for the way she makes Peacekeeper basically entirely redundant :v:
I wouldn't say that, as PK has some tools at her disposal that Shaman doesn't have and vice versa. Most notably PK has incredibly safe parries because of her zone attack, which functions as a sort of option-select. Interestingly enough they also make for a nasty duo in 4v4's, as the Peacekeeper has a much easier time applying bleed which allows the Shaman to get their pounces off from off the screen.