Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Like I said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
It's not that I'm incapable of tracking it all; it's just that I don't gain enjoyment from having to do so. Star Wars is easier, especially now under the Story Group. "Is this canonical, Y/N?" Is all you have to keep track of

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
you could just ignore canon, like a normal person

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nebalebadingdong posted:

you can just ignore canon, like a normal person

Pretty sure normal people understand how a continuity works. Millions of moviegoers went to Infinity War knowing that it was canonical with Iron Man through Black Panther. Millions of moviegoers went to Episode VIII knowing that Episodes I thru VII are in the same continuity.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

jivjov posted:

It's not that I'm incapable of tracking it all; it's just that I don't gain enjoyment from having to do so. Star Wars is easier, especially now under the Story Group. "Is this canonical, Y/N?" Is all you have to keep track of

glad she is dead posted:

I'm still tickled pink that this hard nosed atheist is actually the most religious guy on the forums and doesn't even realise it.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

jivjov posted:

Pretty sure normal people understand how a continuity works. Millions of moviegoers went to Infinity War knowing that it was canonical with Iron Man through Black Panther. Millions of moviegoers went to Episode VIII knowing that Episodes I thru VII are in the same continuity.

continuity and canon are not the same thing, just like narrative and canon are not the same thing. im under the impression that you think a story is a timeline

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

jivjov posted:

Millions of people saw Star Wars movies never considering that the Aftermath books even existed. Canon was ignored. How does that make you feel?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

jivjov posted:

It's a personal preference. I prefer a singular ongoing continuity over having to try to keep track of which story arcs are considered canonical, which aren't, which things exist in their own little bubble of continuity, etc

That's exactly the question though is: why does canon matter? If Spock and Kirk have an adventure in a book and then another book doesn't make reference to that adventure, why is that bad?

jivjov posted:

Continuity is very different from things like "canon".

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
The fortitude of his resistance to irony is shocking if I’m gonna be honest. Praying for a puppet master post any day now. I promise I would accept it on its face.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

Indulge me in a thought exercise for a moment: suppose Solo hadn't flopped (lol) and we were definitely getting sequels to it, the Obi-Wan movie was definitely on track (and not probably cancelled) and so on; suppose whatever the climax to this arc was ended up with Obi-Wan leaving Tatooine and having a rematch with Darth Maul on Naboo, and he killed him there. This contradicts the Rebels cartoon, but the screenwriter or director said they wanted to do it their way and Lucasfilm agreed. How would you reconcile that?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

The MCU movies are also a pretty bad example because Tony Stark in the MCU is basically different James Bonds played by the same actor. He's different in all of the films; there's very little "continuity" between the movies

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Convincing everyone that they've had this intricately-plotted 10-year master plan is one of the cleverest things Marvel did.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

dublish posted:

Millions of people saw Star Wars movies never considering that the Aftermath books even existed. Canon was ignored. How does that make you feel?

You don't have to read every novel. It's not mandatory. But if someone says "huh, I wonder what happened between VI and VII; there's an actual answer for them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Waffles Inc. posted:

That's exactly the question though is: why does canon matter? If Spock and Kirk have an adventure in a book and then another book doesn't make reference to that adventure, why is that bad?

Continuity is very different from things like "canon".

There's a difference between "not making reference to something" and "proceeding under the assumption it never happened". Many Trek novels are contradictory because there isn't one overarching continuity.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

Indulge me in a thought exercise for a moment: suppose Solo hadn't flopped (lol) and we were definitely getting sequels to it, the Obi-Wan movie was definitely on track (and not probably cancelled) and so on; suppose whatever the climax to this arc was ended up with Obi-Wan leaving Tatooine and having a rematch with Darth Maul on Naboo, and he killed him there. This contradicts the Rebels cartoon, but the screenwriter or director said they wanted to do it their way and Lucasfilm agreed. How would you reconcile that?

There was never a confirmed Obi-Wan movie to be cancelled.

And he Story Group literally exists to prevent that from happening. Their whole job would be to tell a director "we've already seen Maul and Obi-Wan's final showdown, you can depict it again if you want, but you can't change it to a different planet".

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

jivjov posted:

There was never a confirmed Obi-Wan movie to be cancelled.

And he Story Group literally exists to prevent that from happening. Their whole job would be to tell a director "we've already seen Maul and Obi-Wan's final showdown, you can depict it again if you want, but you can't change it to a different planet".

They did that in Star Wars Rebels though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pablo Nergigante posted:

They did that in Star Wars Rebels though.

What?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Okay hopefully someone here knows what I’m talking about because it’s something from my childhood I only just remember existed and googling is getting me nothing. I remember having some kind of mail-in pen and paper Star Wars game, I think I got it from Star Wars Insider? But I’m not sure. Anyways, it was some mail-in game, I think every 1-4 months they sent you a book detailing a new scenario you had to try and get through or something. It also came with vehicle cards with stats detailing what you had available for that month’s mission. Maybe there were also character cards for different people you could interact with? I think each mission built upon the last, creating a big story, but maybe my child imagination connected them. I don’t think you mailed in what you wanted to do for the game or anything, though.

Anyone remember this, or am I going crazy?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

They had Obi-Wan and Darth Maul's final showdown but it took place on Jakku Tatooine

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Romulus is Vulcan look at the haircuts, people.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pablo Nergigante posted:

They had Obi-Wan and Darth Maul's final showdown but it took place on Tatooine

Correct. That's why a later source couldn't put it elsewhere. That's what I just said.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
I guess it boils down to you enjoying Star Wars canon curated by the Story Group (which like God might not actually even exist) while also being unable to comprehend that other people don't care about canon and why they don't care about it. Which is why you think it's reasonable to call SMG a liar for saying that Jakku is Tatooine.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

jivjov posted:

Correct. That's why a later source couldn't put it elsewhere. That's what I just said.

But Obi-Wan and Maul already had their final showdown on Naboo. How can there be two final showdowns.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pablo Nergigante posted:

But Obi-Wan and Maul already had their final showdown on Naboo. How can there be two final showdowns.

Naboo is Jakku that final Rebellion-Empire battle was real bad yo

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pablo Nergigante posted:

They didn't. The hypothetical was that the hypothetical obi wan movie moved the fight to Naboo.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

jivjov posted:

There's a difference between "not making reference to something" and "proceeding under the assumption it never happened". Many Trek novels are contradictory because there isn't one overarching continuity.

Umm, I think you'll find that the 'contradictory' novels take place in subtly different quantum realities, which were established as existing in the Next Generation episode "Parallels". It is impossible for a Star Trek story to contradict another unless you can find proof they take place in the same quantum universe. Duh.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

jivjov posted:

You don't have to read every novel. It's not mandatory. But if someone says "huh, I wonder what happened between VI and VII; there's an actual answer for them.

What do you suppose it means (either in terms of narrative, continuity, canon, or all of the above) that each successive movie is made without regard to what happens between them?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

jivjov posted:

They didn't. The hypothetical was that the hypothetical obi wan movie moved the fight to Naboo.

Did the "final showdown" on Tatooine exist before the Rebels episode? We clearly saw Obi-Wan cut Maul in half

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

Again, hypothetically, if Steven Spielberg and George Lucas both wanted to work together on a Star Wars movie and their idea fits in with the existing movies but contradicts a game or a cartoon or something, do you honestly think their common friend and collaborator of 40 years Kathleen Kennedy is going to say, "Sorry, but Story Group says you can't do that." Do you really think that would happen?

Realistically, do you think that this nebulous idea of "canon" will always be prioritised when the overriding commercial interest in making a successful movie is potentially at stake?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Obi-Wan and Darth Maul's final showdown took place in my living room when I watched it on TV

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Did the "final showdown" on Tatooine exist before the Rebels episode? We clearly saw Obi-Wan cut Maul in half

Maul survived that. This was established well before rebels, in Clone Wars.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Hold on...was he hypothetical that Maul and Obi-Wan's showdown on Tatooine was to be overwritten? Or that maul survives it and they have ANOTHER fight on Naboo later? Cause the later is perfectly plausible.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

How many times is Maul going to survive a fight with Obi-Wan. Is he like Nemesis from Resident Evil 3

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Or Dio Brando.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
darth maul pleads with story group "pleease just let me die"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pablo Nergigante posted:

How many times is Maul going to survive a fight with Obi-Wan. Is he like Nemesis from Resident Evil 3

So far it's just once.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

Hold on...was he hypothetical that Maul and Obi-Wan's showdown on Tatooine was to be overwritten? Or that maul survives it and they have ANOTHER fight on Naboo later? Cause the later is perfectly plausible.

The first one. I am asking, if a director or writer said "We want Obi-Wan to have a rematch with Maul on Naboo and it ends with him killing him" and Lucasfilm said they could and ignored the Story Group, how would you feel?

Would you rend your garment?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol I just remembered Darth Maul is in Solo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

lol I just remembered Darth Maul is in Solo

Hell yeah. Solo was better than either ST movie

Adbot