Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Ahhh the first "my commissioner did this insane/stupid poo poo" post of the new season. Now I know we're back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

why-i-wont-own-mckinnon.jpg. Industry hype between April 29 (end of draft) and July 25 (49ers broke camp) had him gain three rounds without touching a football.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
I don't disagree that McKinnon's ADP requires him to actually hit his ceiling to return value, but man do I not care about May ADP at all. FF Calc drafters do not have the proper perspective on guys in May to judge them correctly. I am not surprised it rose a ton.

The real reason is Matt Breida.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Ben Nevis posted:

It just came to me. The best team name. Recent. Pop culture-y. A huge number of team logo options. The only downside is having to draft Amari Cooper. But I'd think captaining This is Amari Co. to the finals would be worth it.

Sorry, I already came up with this years best team name. If You want to kill it, best prepare... it’s gonna Die Hard:

Gesicki Kai Trey, Butker Tucker

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 3, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Braksgirl posted:

Hi, the wife here. I'm really kind of pissed about this league and I may not stay in if the commissioner doesn't give me a satisfactory answer to this draft order. Which would be a shame, because it's an all-women league and it would be fun. But the commissioner did a little talking down to me and tried to explain to me how fantasy football works. Taking all of my control not to let her know that I'm a loving 20 team league champion, bitch. You don't even know who you're talking to.

Update: I left the league. Random ordered snake draft, with the order determined an hour before the draft. HOW ABOUT NO.

Yeah, gently caress that. Glad you got.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Benches got upped to 12 what the gently caress WHY HAVE A WAIVER WIRE

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ZenVulgarity posted:

Benches got upped to 12 what the gently caress WHY HAVE A WAIVER WIRE

This would be acceptable only in a gimmick league where add/drops are disabled

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Tiptoes posted:

I don't disagree that McKinnon's ADP requires him to actually hit his ceiling to return value, but man do I not care about May ADP at all. FF Calc drafters do not have the proper perspective on guys in May to judge them correctly. I am not surprised it rose a ton.

The real reason is Matt Breida.

Nothing changed between those two dates except industry navel gazing was the point there. There was no proper perspective that could have changed his ADP from the fifth round to the second round while the entire league was on vacation.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Do you really expect the dudes bored and mock drafting on FFCalc in May to have their rankings finalized? They're going to read information as it is published over the summer and change their minds about players. It's weird to say that's due to "industry navel gazing" and not just basic research.

Edit: In our first goon slow draft, McKinnon went 3.11 and that was early May. Goons knew what was up.

Tiptoes fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 3, 2018

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
So what's dezs dynasty value at this point? 0?

I got offered a 3rd round pick for him in 2019 and almost think that's best offer lol

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I got offered a 3rd round pick for him in 2019 and almost think that's best offer lol

I'd take that in a second. He's washed.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Tiptoes posted:

Do you really expect the dudes bored and mock drafting on FFCalc in May to have their rankings finalized? They're going to read information as it is published over the summer and change their minds about players. It's weird to say that's due to "industry navel gazing" and not just basic research.

Edit: In our first goon slow draft, McKinnon went 3.11 and that was early May. Goons knew what was up.

The point is that McKinnon hype escalated over those months in large part because of the echo chamber that is offseason FF writing. There was literally not one shred of new information in the two months between the draft and camp, but his stock shot up like crazy.

In other news, how do you guys value Guice? I am trying to get as many shares as I can get at his current ADP (mid-third round). I also think Derrick Henry is still majorly undervalued.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 3, 2018

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Mikey Purp posted:

The point is that McKinnon hype escalated over those months in large part because of the echo chamber that is offseason FF writing. There was literally not one shred of new information in the two months between the draft and camp, but his stock shot up like crazy.

:yeah: it's the industry doing mock drafts and being "in" on McKinnon, then seeing that other people are more "in" on McKinnon, so if they want McKinnon, they have to get him earlier. Then this forms their ranks and that shapes ADP. It's been a stacking effect. This same process vaulted CJA into the first round a few years ago.

Tiptoes posted:

His FF Calculator ADP for most of May was 4.03 so :shrug:

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Mikey Purp posted:

I also think Derrick Henry is still majorly undervalued.

I feel like that 1a 1b quote from the titans a month ago really cooled the Henry hype train. I feel like he's probably undervalued now.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

A 3rd is next to worthless, I'd rather hold Dez and hope for WR3 or 4 value, either of which is better than a random 3rd

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I took the deal.

E I was never a dez fan so he wasnt worth much to me already. My co owner only traded for him because hes a cowboys fan

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Hi pretty college football fantasy league folks - I'll be setting up the league for 2018 over the next few days. Apologies for the delay.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

N:
https://twitter.com/4for4football/status/1025962488154738688

V:
Geronimooooooo

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yessssssssssssss.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yessssssssssssss.

That sure is a team, haha

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

sourdough posted:

Looks like a Scott Bowl team!

My current SA Scott Bowl team is currently looking a little similar.

RB David Johnson
TE Zach Ertz
QB Tom Brady
WR TY Hilton
RB Lamar Miller
TE Delanie Walker
TE Jordan Reed

still draftin'.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1025840355252551681

Bad news for Michel although it could've been worse. Burkhead's ADP will climb but he ought to be a great value at wherever it lands. Michel's ADP should drop like a rock and I'm still buying most likely. He'll have a role after he bounces back unless Jeremy Hill wows them.

Tiptoes fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 5, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

sourdough posted:

Yup. SFB8 uses half PPR, half PPFD, and TEs get a bonus to both.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
12 Team .5 PPR need to select 1 keeper:

Collins
Robinson
Ingram
Brady
Gordon

Mainly debating between Collins or Robinson with an outside idea of holding Brady.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Alfalfa posted:

Collins
Robinson
Ingram
Brady
Gordon

Mainly debating between Collins or Robinson with an outside idea of holding Brady.

Robinson. I assume Gordon is Josh. What do you give up to keep them? Nothing?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Robinson. I assume Gordon is Josh. What do you give up to keep them? Nothing?

4th rounder for Allen Robinson, Alex Colllins, or Josh Gordon.

5th for Brady or Ingram.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Alfalfa posted:

Collins
Robinson
Ingram
Brady
Gordon

I think I'd keep Collins.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Alfalfa posted:

Collins
Robinson
Ingram
Brady
Gordon

This basically comes down to who you want as a player because you're receiving literally zero keeper value out of all of them.

If you're deciding now, you're likely locking in Josh Gordon's value at an ADP that will probably continue to slip if he's out for training camp, which seems to be the case.

Ingram, you're keeping a guy who is no guarantee to not be in Payton's dog house when he returns.

Brady... Team #GradualDecline

That leaves it between Collins and Robinson. I'll go with the guy whose usage is already locked in in an offense that loves to throw to the RB over the guy who is switching teams to a new, crowded offense with a second year QB who wasn't allowed to sling it last year (though that'll change this year; the efficacy is still a question mark).

It's close but I would go Collins over A-Rob in a squeaker.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 5, 2018

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Game of Roto is a free something awful dot com auction PPR league with a limited keeper system and we need 4 more owners to begin season 7! We're expanding from 12 to 14 teams, and 2 old teams need owners too. Are you reading a SA fantasy thread? YOU should join this league!

Please join, I love auctions and this league is gonna own! Check it out! Draft with meeeeee!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I get the push on Collins, but I'm curious as to how likely it is that he's "locked in". Chris Harris in particular is pushing the notion that Collins is just another guy, and that Dixon's superior talent might at least disrupt the expectation of a solid carry share and turn Baltimore into more of a committee.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I get the push on Collins, but I'm curious as to how likely it is that he's "locked in". Chris Harris in particular is pushing the notion that Collins is just another guy, and that Dixon's superior talent might at least disrupt the expectation of a solid carry share and turn Baltimore into more of a committee.

Wouldn't Dixon's superior talent have pushed through by now, if that's the case?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think that come 2018, we are too eager to put a situation aside due to it being a committee. Last year, only 11 players had more than 50% of their team's rushes + RB Targets (Bell, Gordon, Gurley, Hunt, McCoy, Hyde, Howard, Gore, CJA, Lamar Miller and Zeke). Only Bell, Gordon, Gurley, Hunt and McCoy topped 60% of RB opportunities. Even in a committee, a player can still be valuable without over 50% of the touches, especially given that it is a rarity now.

Collins was highly efficient when he had the ball in his hand last season, posting a yards per reception nearly identical to Christian McCaffrey (8.13 vs 8.14) and aYPC just shy of Gurley (4.59 vs 4.68). He'll be fine and dandy, even with the return of Kenneth Dixon from suspension/knee injury. FWIW, Dixon already missed a week of practice with a different lower body injury (hamstring), so he may not be nipping at Collins' heels as much as we think.

Harris doesn't like Collins because he got "lucky" with huge runs. Not recognizing that turning large runs into huge ones is a skill is a massive blind spot in harris's evaluations, and he chalks it up to luck. For example, he is calling Devontae Booker extremely unlucky because he doesn't have any long runs of note so far in his career, when that is likely just bad angles, bad vision, and bad open field skills.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 5, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sataere posted:

Wouldn't Dixon's superior talent have pushed through by now, if that's the case?

He missed all of 2017.

Spoeank posted:

I think that come 2018, we are too eager to put a situation aside due to it being a committee. Last year, only 11 players had more than 50% of their team's rushes + RB Targets (Bell, Gordon, Gurley, Hunt, McCoy, Hyde, Howard, Gore, CJA, Lamar Miller and Zeke). Only Bell, Gordon, Gurley, Hunt and McCoy topped 60% of RB opportunities. Even in a committee, a player can still be valuable without over 50% of the touches, especially given that it is a rarity now.

Collins was highly efficient when he had the ball in his hand last season, posting a yards per reception nearly identical to Christian McCaffrey (8.13 vs 8.14) and aYPC just shy of Gurley (4.59 vs 4.68). He'll be fine and dandy, even with the return of Kenneth Dixon from suspension/knee injury. FWIW, Dixon already missed a week of practice with a different lower body injury (hamstring), so he may not be nipping at Collins' heels as much as we think.

Harris doesn't like Collins because he got "lucky" with huge runs. Not recognizing that turning large runs into huge ones is a skill is a massive blind spot in harris's evaluations, and he chalks it up to luck. For example, he is calling Devontae Booker extremely unlucky because he doesn't have any long runs of note so far in his career, when that is likely just bad angles, bad vision, and bad open field skills.

YPC can be a deceptive stat. Gurley went from 4.8 YPC in 2015 to 3.2 in 2016, then back up to 4.7 in 2017. As Harris puts it, YPC isn't random but it's a trailing indicator. That dovetails into the conversation about long runs, since it's directly related. Reading Harris' entry on Booker, it seems like there are similarities to Collins. He seems to regard both as milquetoast talents that could do well, but if so it's more situation than skill. As for Dixon, he's also pretty adamant that the unknowns are insane and it's rare to see a player come back from two seasons of injury.

If I understand your argument correctly, you're asserting that Collins has demonstrated enough skill that even with a reduced workload his efficiency would make him a viable starter. Harris seems to be arguing the opposite, instead saying the film shows Collins to be a league-average back who could easily falter given the small sample sizes and high variability of the NFL. Personally I'm on the fence, but looking at ADP (4.01 in half PPR on FFC) I'd rather grab Guice, Diggs, Fitzgerald, or Cooper.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Oh you're not wrong. His adp has better options there, and is likely nearly exclusively from people who need an RB2 after getting a WR or Gronk.

It just got me curious about market shares so I did a little digging.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spoeank posted:

Oh you're not wrong. His adp has better options there, and is likely nearly exclusively from people who need an RB2 after getting a WR or Gronk.

It just got me curious about market shares so I did a little digging.

I dig the info. Thanks for doing it.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

On the other hand, PFF grades Collins as the top running RB last season, and was #10 out of 53 in elusive rating. And, this is an offense that supported 2 RB2s last season (and a few similar weeks from a third player in woodhead).

Collins had 212 carries and 36 targets; Buck had 153 + 60; Woodhead had 14+39; West had 39 + 4.

So last season, Baltimore had 418 carries (Collins 212), and 139 RB targets (Collins 36). 557 total RB opportunities; Collins was a RB2 with a 44% share, and Buck was a RB2 with a 38% share.

Collins was more efficient than Buck last season per carry or target. Even if Dixon held the bulk of the volume -- say 60%, which is unlikely given his history of injuries -- Collins could reliably be considered a RB2 IMO. But in my eyes, it is more likely that Collins is the 2 down back and Dixon is the COP back that owns the third down. Given that, I suspect we can expect a moderate increase in Collins' carry rate (which makes sense, since he was a low option for the first several weeks), and probably about the same for targets.

If the offense is better (maybe?) that will also improve Collins' scoring since he's most likely the goal line back.

In my experience (though I haven't looked at ADPs), Collins is going at the same time/cost as Drake and the non-barkley/guice rookies. I think of that bunch, he's likely to be the best this year.

Zauper fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 5, 2018

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

He missed all of 2017.

Yeah and he was suspended twice for a PED violation. That's kind of the point I was making. Why should we trust him? If he's really the superior talent, something would have shown by now. I think pissing hot and getting injured for a season rarely end with the player in question coming back to have a breakout season. I could be wrong though, I definitely haven't done the research.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Sataere posted:

Yeah and he was suspended twice for a PED violation. That's kind of the point I was making. Why should we trust him? If he's really the superior talent, something would have shown by now. I think pissing hot and getting injured for a season rarely end with the player in question coming back to have a breakout season. I could be wrong though, I definitely haven't done the research.

And it's not like he was a first or even second round pick. He was what, a 4th rounder? So it's not like he has amazing draft pedigree.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zauper posted:

On the other hand, PFF grades Collins as the top running RB last season, and was #10 out of 53 in elusive rating. And, this is an offense that supported 2 RB2s last season (and a few similar weeks from a third player in woodhead).

Collins had 212 carries and 36 targets; Buck had 153 + 60; Woodhead had 14+39; West had 39 + 4.

So last season, Baltimore had 418 carries (Collins 212), and 139 RB targets (Collins 36). 557 total RB opportunities; Collins was a RB2 with a 44% share, and Buck was a RB2 with a 38% share.

Collins was more efficient than Buck last season per carry or target. Even if Dixon held the bulk of the volume -- say 60%, which is unlikely given his history of injuries -- Collins could reliably be considered a RB2 IMO. But in my eyes, it is more likely that Collins is the 2 down back and Dixon is the COP back that owns the third down. Given that, I suspect we can expect a moderate increase in Collins' carry rate (which makes sense, since he was a low option for the first several weeks), and probably about the same for targets.

If the offense is better (maybe?) that will also improve Collins' scoring since he's most likely the goal line back.

In my experience (though I haven't looked at ADPs), Collins is going at the same time/cost as Drake and the non-barkley/guice rookies. I think of that bunch, he's likely to be the best this year.

ADP for Collins in half PPR is around 4.01 according to FFC. The 5 in front of him are Gordon, Diggs, Guice, Rodgers, and Fitzgerald. After him are Cooper, Ertz, Ajay, Penny, and D. Thomas.

I'm not sure what to make of PFF. The top 10 players were Kamara, Lewis, Collins, Gurley, Hunt, McKinnon, Duke Johnson, Anderson, Cohen, and Kenyan Drake. As popular as the site is, it's difficult to ignore that the rankings are made without an understanding of the context of the player's role. That adds an element of subjectivity to the discussion. For example PFF grades Collins as a 38.8 in receiving even though he got 23 receptions for 187 yards (as Spoeank put it the same yards/reception as McCaffrey). Does that mean Collins is a lovely receiver? Buck Allen scored a 68.7 overall to Collins 83.4, with a 71.0 in receiving. Does that means that Allen is a third down back? To what extent are PFF grades predictive in nature? Gurley got a 71 in 2015, a 57.3 in 2016, and an 82.6 in 2017. What does that mean for 2018?

I get the feeling that PFF grades are a lot like YPC; an interesting indication of what a player has done, but not necessarily a predictor of what they will do. That's why I'm leaning towards a more film-oriented analysis like what Chris Harris does and Matt Harmon's Reception Perception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
We are all gonna be self quoting our posts in 2-3 months about how wrong we were about everything, as usual, as we trot out Alfred Blue as our RB1 again.