Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Wounded means you're taken out of the line to a regimental aid post or or casualty clearing station or field ambulance for treatment of whatever wounded you. Evacuated means that your injuries or illnesses are such that you can't be treated on the line so you're being evacuated to a hospital off the front "Invalidated to Eng." means that whatever wounded you is so serious you can't be treated and expected to recover in France so you're being shipped back to England

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

I have a question for the thread: A while back we had a few guys, including me, post letters written by grandparents. I posted a handful of excerpts from my grandfather's personal letters written post war in Europe.

If I wanted to find more information specific to my grandfather, (unit information, various postings and movements, promotions etc.) throughout the war where would I even start to look for that? It dawned on me that outside of the letters themselves, which are the only real records I know of currently in my family's possession concerning what he was doing at that time, I don't really have any idea how he ended up there and today for some reason I decided I'd like to start researching it.

If finding this kind of information is possible can someone point me in the right direction?

The records were lost in a fire.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Bombers with a half-load of bombs, and a half-load of paras. The bombs fall faster than the paras, they land having achieved maximum surprise and efficacy

Isn't this what they do in Starship Troopers, or am I just confusing them for the decoy pods they drop along the mobile troopers?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Greggster posted:

Isn't this what they do in Starship Troopers, or am I just confusing them for the decoy pods they drop along the mobile troopers?

You're confusing them. The problem with the bombs and paras idea is that the paras would be dropping straight into any ongoing explosions, fire, and debris getting blown upwards into the paras.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cythereal posted:

You're confusing them. The problem with the bombs and paras idea is that the paras would be dropping straight into any ongoing explosions, fire, and debris getting blown upwards into the paras.

Perhaps they should increase their élan

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Siivola posted:

I enjoyed Dan Jones's Templars.

That looks good. It’s unfortunate that it’s difficult to get academic texts in an audio version, which definitely restricts what I can find.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

HEY GUNS posted:

saber duels mostly

Speaking of, tell me about infantry use of sabers in your era. The usual answer I see on 16th/17th century sabers is that outside of messer/dussack style things, sabers were more of an Eastern European cavalry thing and comparatively rarer (though not unknown or unheard of) as you get further west. So you'd see more of them with eastern european mercenary cav or whatever. Was it A Thing for some infantrymen to use them? I know British officers in the Napoleonic period sometimes preferred cavalry sabers or occasionally even picked up Indian tulwars. Are there equivalent 17th century proto-weebs who want to adopt some Ottoman trappings?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

zoux posted:

They should just fall slower

Or the bombs can fall faster. Put a small rocket engine in their tails maybe?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

I have a question for the thread: A while back we had a few guys, including me, post letters written by grandparents. I posted a handful of excerpts from my grandfather's personal letters written post war in Europe.

If I wanted to find more information specific to my grandfather, (unit information, various postings and movements, promotions etc.) throughout the war where would I even start to look for that? It dawned on me that outside of the letters themselves, which are the only real records I know of currently in my family's possession concerning what he was doing at that time, I don't really have any idea how he ended up there and today for some reason I decided I'd like to start researching it.

If finding this kind of information is possible can someone point me in the right direction?

As long as you know his unit, you can probably find out whether their archives exist and where they're kept. If you were in Britain I'd suggest investigating the National Archives (for his personal service record), the regimental history museum of whatever his successor unit is, if there is one (for the battalion war diary, the thing that Clarence is posting for someone else in a different war), and also looking on Google Books/Amazon/archive.org/Gutenberg to see if anyone had published (possibly privately) some book along the lines of "The Exploits of the 10th Catering Corps in the War". Whatever your equivalents are of that, I guess.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grenrow posted:

tell me about infantry use of sabers in your era. The usual answer I see on 16th/17th century sabers is that outside of messer/dussack style things, sabers were more of an Eastern European cavalry thing and comparatively rarer (though not unknown or unheard of) as you get further west. So you'd see more of them with eastern european mercenary cav or whatever. Was it A Thing for some infantrymen to use them?
so, there are two issues here. the first is that the so-called "haudegen"/"felddegen"/"schwedendegen" (insert ethnic group of your choice here) varies a lot, but it is almost always far shorter and stouter than a rapier. this is the common foot-soldier's sword. they're cheap and there were a lot of them. they were mostly double-edged though.

anyone have $3000?
https://getasword.com/antique-swords/2983-authentic-felddegen-field-sword-17th-century.html

what about $300?
https://www.dorotheum.com/cz/aukce/...ky-17-stol.html

the second issue is that i have seen plenty of poo poo in the museum in dresden which are western swords with ottoman/balkan grips or ottoman/balkan swords with western grips. there are a lot of these and they look absurd.

so the end is i dunno

quote:

I know British officers in the Napoleonic period sometimes preferred cavalry sabers or occasionally even picked up Indian tulwars. Are there equivalent 17th century proto-weebs who want to adopt some Ottoman trappings?
i do know this though. there was that weeb, it was the elector of saxony and his court. after the big war in '83 the elector started calling himself a sultan and collecting ottoman tents and uniforms and whatnot. biggest collection of ottoman tents outside turkey. we'd have even more if much of his collection didn't get worn out at military maneuvers/encampments during the late 17th c and early 18th.

these objects are added to all the poo poo that filtered into saxony from the ottoman empire and transylvania over the centuries which, if you look at a map, it's pretty well placed to get some. such as my favorite sword ever, a transylvanian katana which is now in the museum at dresden.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Bombers with a half-load of bombs, and a half-load of paras. The bombs fall faster than the paras, they land having achieved maximum surprise and efficacy

Check Jobbo Fett's posts about Italian airplanes a while back. I remember something like this coming up.

e: Hereabouts: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785167&pagenumber=825&perpage=40#post480435973

OpenlyEvilJello fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 3, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

They should just fall slower

Or the bombs can fall faster. Put a small rocket engine in their tails maybe?

Use more incendiary bombs. Hot air rises, ride the updraft until explosion is over.

Do they teach paratroopers to shoot from the air? It seems like the least you could do if you're teaching them procedures for drifting slowly into enemy fire. I can understand maybe air dropping soldiers into not-hostile territory if there's no available airfield, but onto an enemy emplacement with no tanks, cover, or even the sweet embrace of the earth to shield you from harm?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

SlothfulCobra posted:

but onto an enemy emplacement with no tanks, cover, or even the sweet embrace of the earth to shield you from harm?

That is not how airborne ops work.

No, they don't shoot from the air. No time for that and you're operating a chute.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 3, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SlothfulCobra posted:

Use more incendiary bombs. Hot air rises, ride the updraft until explosion is over.

Do they teach paratroopers to shoot from the air? It seems like the least you could do if you're teaching them procedures for drifting slowly into enemy fire. I can understand maybe air dropping soldiers into not-hostile territory if there's no available airfield, but onto an enemy emplacement with no tanks, cover, or even the sweet embrace of the earth to shield you from harm?

they don't drop paratroopers on top of the enemy position like some video game

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SlothfulCobra posted:

You generally don’t drop with your weapon ready or accessible. Germans dropped separately from their guns which came down in canisters. Americans dropped with their guns in a bag along side them but (theoretically) attached.

You’re not going to be able to hit gently caress all dropping and it’s going to be dangerous. I don’t k ow the details but there more to para dropping than just riding down. Do it wrong and you’re breaking an ankle at best. That’s before we get into whether the recoil from your weapon is going to make you start swinging in a weird way.

Even in a combat drop you’re not coming down on top of the enemy’s head. The idea is to use the mobility air drops provide to go where they won’t be, organize on the ground, and then be a very inconvenient band of light infantry in their rear to distract from the armored thrust coming down the road.

Edit: I’m talking about large formation stuff. Spec ops dropping a bunch of commandos on someone’s doorstep to gently caress things up is another issue. Then you get poo poo like fort eben emal

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

zoux posted:

Reading wikipedia, the conclusion seems to be that paratroopers aren't as good as helicopters and furthermore there have only been a handful of combat drops since WWII. The last US combat jump was in 2003. How many troops go to jump school in the US every year? Are paratroopers part of near-peer war planning anymore?

The helicopter pretty much replaced parachuting circa Vietnam, but all airborne/Ranger/SF guys still go to jump school just in case.

mlmp08 posted:

or, more often, stepping out of helicopters.

It's a long step -- at least in Dad's experience, the chopper pilots refused to touch down for fear of land mines/ambushs. The really nice/ballsy pilots sometimes even slowed down when it came time for their cargo to hop out.

Also, that 1796 saber I forgot I boight arrived today, will write a review when I get it out of the packaging and cleaned up. One thin is certain, it didn't rust in transit -- reminds me of the SKS/Mosin crazes, it's packed Soviet-style with preservative grease. Brb, gonna use up half a roll of paper towels on it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Grenrow posted:

Speaking of, tell me about infantry use of sabers in your era. The usual answer I see on 16th/17th century sabers is that outside of messer/dussack style things, sabers were more of an Eastern European cavalry thing and comparatively rarer (though not unknown or unheard of) as you get further west. So you'd see more of them with eastern european mercenary cav or whatever. Was it A Thing for some infantrymen to use them? I know British officers in the Napoleonic period sometimes preferred cavalry sabers or occasionally even picked up Indian tulwars. Are there equivalent 17th century proto-weebs who want to adopt some Ottoman trappings?

Most napoleonic cav had sabres or straight swords as the primary arme blanche. The only exception are lancers.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

HEY GUNS posted:

so the end is i dunno

i do know this though. there was that weeb, it was the elector of saxony and his court. after the big war in '83 the elector started calling himself a sultan and collecting ottoman tents and uniforms and whatnot. biggest collection of ottoman tents outside turkey. we'd have even more if much of his collection didn't get worn out at military maneuvers/encampments during the late 17th c and early 18th.

these objects are added to all the poo poo that filtered into saxony from the ottoman empire and transylvania over the centuries which, if you look at a map, it's pretty well placed to get some. such as my favorite sword ever, a transylvanian katana which is now in the museum at dresden.

Cool, thanks. I hope there are a bunch of paintings of this dumb nerd cosplaying an Ottoman. Was that controversial at the time or did everyone just dismiss it as this dude being a dweeb?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Most napoleonic cav had sabres or straight swords as the primary arme blanche. The only exception are lancers.

Sorry, I meant infantry officers, not cav. Lots of infantry officer, especially skirmishers and anyone who was going to be in colonial combat, got extremely interested in swapping out their regulation smallswords or spadroons for something a bit more robust. Lot of 1796 light cav sabers got into infantry officer's hands.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Didn't the French have a thing like lancers but with swords? I mean, the English heavy cav had straight swords (edit: and speaking of foot soldiers adopting cavalry blades, Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe famously carried a 1796 Heavy, a straight stabby sword. Light was for slicing faces off in the melee, Heavy/Lancers was for the charge to break the lines.) but I recall reading about French troopers with really long swords -- like 43" blades, as opposed to the three-footers you actually swing.

Got the 1796L mostly degreased, though it's still got cosmoline in the tight corners. Pulling the plastic bags off the blade and scabbard was disturbingly like removing a condom.

It looks :black101: as gently caress, with that deep curve -- it's straight-up an old-school scimitar with a European hilt. Like, draw a line from your thumb, it crosses the blade and goes off into space before the sharp part even starts. Seems to be fairly well-balanced, a bit more weight-forward than the Japanese Type 32/1899 NCO saber my grandfather brought back from WWII, but that's to be expected, given the different purposes. Definitely better than the cheap lovely Indian repro of a US 1840 I impulse-bought for $50 at my favorite gun store. That was an obvious wallhanger/watermelon cutter, this is a legit weapon. It's sharpened properly, completely dull on the bottom half, as sharp as a kitchen knife for the working half, as well as 6" of the back of the tip.

Tomorrow I need to go to the grocery store and talk to the produce manager, see if I can get a deal on some expired melons.

Eventually I need to get my brother's giant pet horse (mostly quarterhorse, I think) trained as a cav horse. :getin: Right now he's one of those horses that if you put a small child on his back, he just allows himself to be led around. If an adult gets on, they suddenly find themselves suspended mid-air a horse-height off the ground with the horse at the far end of the pasture, like when Wile E. Coyote falls off a cliff.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 3, 2018

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Lancers and Uhlans still carried swords because they still are their main sidearms.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Chillbro Baggins posted:

It looks :black101: as gently caress, with that deep curve -- it's straight-up an old-school scimitar with a European hilt.

19th century Indians thought so too. Sometimes they took imported 1796-pattern blades and stick tulwar hilts on them.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Lancers and Uhlans still carried swords because they still are their main sidearms.

Yeah, those Frenchmen and Lancers I mentioned also carried curved sabers for the melee, because long pokey thing is not so useful without the momentum of a galloping horse behind it.

1796L review continued: I can balance it on my finger about eight inches forward of the guard. That seems about right.

Edit: I kind of have a thing for collecting old British weapons -- I have an SMLE III* and a Webley MkVI (and yes, I just looked at the gun to check the model number) made in '16 and '15, respectively, and a bayonet for the rifle made in March '18 (by the same company that makes my razor blades). And now I have a repro sword from a previous king.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 3, 2018

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone here have any opinions about the book Lies My Teacher Told Me? I read that new paperback edition is coming out, and when I read it back in freshman year it was really the first time I can think of that I realized that a history book could be wrong. Kind of curious if it's worth revisiting and giving to my younger cousins and nieces/nephews.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

they don't drop paratroopers on top of the enemy position like some video game

Intentionally anyway. During D Day paratroopers got dropped all over the place compared to the plan, including garrisoned villages. Since you're a highly visible sitting duck coming down, this did not end well.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Including this guy whose chute was caught on the church tower when his stick was accidentally dropped on a village. He survived by playing dead until he was taken prisoner a few hours later.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Clarence posted:

Unfortunately I can't. It's become reasonably clear that Evacuated is for a soldier who is sent to the rear for reasons other than wounding, e.g. illness, accidents and so on. The numbers always seem to be quite high so perhaps there are additional reasons. It wouldn't surprise me if was just about anything medical that took the soldier away from the unit for any length of time - so being away overnight to see the dentist would see them in both the increase and decrease columns.
Invalided I can't recall being applied to other ranks - maybe it's a polite way of evacuating officers.
Trans.T.M.B. will be "transferred to Trench Mortar Battery"
Trans. Labour Corps. is self-explanatory.
A quick google hasn't returned anything on Oi(unfit), but I'm sure it will be out there somewhere.
No courts martial or desertions this month!

Well, they seem to have hit peak Misery In Trenches mud season!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Clarence posted:

Unfortunately I can't. It's become reasonably clear that Evacuated is for a soldier who is sent to the rear for reasons other than wounding, e.g. illness, accidents and so on. The numbers always seem to be quite high so perhaps there are additional reasons. It wouldn't surprise me if was just about anything medical that took the soldier away from the unit for any length of time - so being away overnight to see the dentist would see them in both the increase and decrease columns.
Invalided I can't recall being applied to other ranks - maybe it's a polite way of evacuating officers.
Trans.T.M.B. will be "transferred to Trench Mortar Battery"
Trans. Labour Corps. is self-explanatory.
A quick google hasn't returned anything on Oi(unfit), but I'm sure it will be out there somewhere.
No courts martial or desertions this month!

Could some of these be euphemisms for PTSD?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

zoux posted:

Everyone remembers elan but never cran

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Don Gato posted:

Does anyone here have any opinions about the book Lies My Teacher Told Me? I read that new paperback edition is coming out, and when I read it back in freshman year it was really the first time I can think of that I realized that a history book could be wrong. Kind of curious if it's worth revisiting and giving to my younger cousins and nieces/nephews.

It's a good book of historiography, and an important look at the way that history textbooks and and history teaching in American schools is influenced by politics and how it pushes a specific narrative of American exceptionalism, downplays racism and all that.

That being said, I didn't really like the book. The book, or at least the edition I read, had some errors of its own, and sometimes seemed uncritical of its own sources. Also, the writing came across as smug and angry at the same time, and it felt like I'd imagine it would feel like being trapped in an elevator with Harold Zinn.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Speaking of the Vietnam stuff from a few days ago, how frequently were the conscripts able to call artillery and air support? Was there a ton of training involved for that? I'm aware that artillery observation is a specialist job that usually comes with a bunch of attendant equipment, so presumably it was a lot more guesswork, but was it particularly regimented or was it just getting on a phone and estimating a spot you wanted erased from reality?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

MikeCrotch posted:

Everyone remembers elan but never cran

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

Lets be honest, the latter sounds like dog food.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

This is exactly how the Italians planned poo poo in the 1930's and 40's

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grenrow posted:

19th century Indians thought so too. Sometimes they took imported 1796-pattern blades and stick tulwar hilts on them.

that's ill as gently caress

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HEY GUNS posted:

that's ill as gently caress

They also imported a lot of German backsword blades as well. Indians knew good swords and we're glad to buy a bunch of solid ones en masse and still make their own really nice ones on top of that.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Fangz posted:

Could some of these be euphemisms for PTSD?

Shell shock or neurasthenia would have been a sub-category under "wounded" or "evacuated".

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

WoodrowSkillson posted:

They also imported a lot of German backsword blades as well. Indians knew good swords and we're glad to buy a bunch of solid ones en masse and still make their own really nice ones on top of that.

I know a lot of 19th century Sudanese swords have 15th or 16th century German blades.

Edit: Just googled it and the sword forums seem to reckon that a lot of these were made by Sudanese smiths copying European makers' marks, so maybe this is wrong.

Mr Enderby fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 3, 2018

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I saw another TIK video and it's quite funny to see the wehraboos come out in force for relatively uncontroversial opinions like "the soviets were actually quite strategically, operationally and tactically adept"

This is pretty much wehraboo.png:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yes the fanatics who would refuse to retreat to actually beneficial ground is a better army unit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not even a regular army unit, no he wants the committed Nazis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tekopo posted:

I saw another TIK video and it's quite funny to see the wehraboos come out in force for relatively uncontroversial opinions like "the soviets were actually quite strategically, operationally and tactically adept"

This is pretty much wehraboo.png:

How does a 2nd front affect the quality of the units? :psyduck:

(I know, wehraboo logic, but christ that's dumb)