Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mai just loves disgaea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I got a legit laugh out of 'me boingy' though so thanks for that.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i said i don't feel like bothering to find out!!!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

wanna watch final fantasy: the spirits within on this tasty plasma

I unironically loved all of the terrible teen dialogue in Life is Strange

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

IT'S WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE, OKAY????

:sweatdrop:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowcaster posted:

i said i don't feel like bothering to find out!!!

The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit is a free graphic adventure game developed by Dontnod Entertainment and published by Square Enix.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Love that teen 'tude that I've been hearing about

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Andrast posted:

I unironically loved all of the terrible teen dialogue in Life is Strange

small brain: my word, this is not how "normal" teens talk. they certainly didn't learn this at cotillion!
medium brain: it's funny because it's bad!
big brain: as a french sendup of american youth through the filter of pop culture throughout the 90s and 2000s, the intent is brilliant
galaxy brain: hella awesomesauce, shaka brah

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Tbf she is boingy

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Jay Rust posted:

Tbf she is boingy

This is true.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I saw that :twisted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bloodychill posted:

I’m well aware. I wouldn’t spend the time to write all that I did if I didn’t already respect Endorph
I don't respect you.

nice edit btw

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
as a hip modern teenager, i thought a lot of the dialog in lis was kinda dumb but not in like a game-ruining way but gently caress Your Selfie is one of the most incredible lines i've ever heard for how much i cannot imagine ever hearing another human being ever say it

the thing that actually made me sour on lis is realizing after beating it that the main reason i picked chloe is because she was the only character who felt like an actual character. second place was the groundskeeper guy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

as a hip modern teenager, i thought a lot of the dialog in lis was kinda dumb but not in like a game-ruining way but gently caress Your Selfie is one of the most incredible lines i've ever heard for how much i cannot imagine ever hearing another human being ever say it

the thing that actually made me sour on lis is realizing after beating it that the main reason i picked chloe is because she was the only character who felt like an actual character. second place was the groundskeeper guy
yeah we've gone over this before but the game tries to make you go 'ohhh, i want to save chloe but thatd be selfish' but like, gently caress this town and every idiot in it, imma get out of here with my girlfriend. and on a personal level a game that tries to make you choose a lovely small town over Being a Lesbian is extremely weird. i guess you could save the town and find some other girl but idk, chloe's cool, and its clear what chloe 'represents' in the context of the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Bae is the correct ending and the most thematically appropriate choice to anybody who understands what LiS is all about. Bay is "the bad" end.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Can you please maybe use spoiler tags when talking about the end of Life is Strange? Like every month you people discuss the end of that game and I got do my best to dodge them and yes I probably should just play it already but c'mon, please. (you should probably spoiler LoU ending stuff too, but I've played that).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I've never played LiS and I probably never will because it doesn't really interest me at all. Would the ending still be the same if it hinged on whether to save a boy instead of the town or does the game hinge entirely on the choice being between a girl and a town

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

I don't respect you.

nice edit btw

Cool.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

I've never played LiS and I probably never will because it doesn't really interest me at all. Would the ending still be the same if it hinged on whether to save a boy instead of the town or does the game hinge entirely on the choice being between a girl and a town

yeah gently caress that town

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

It depends on the main character's relationship to that character, who happens to be female. But everything about the story is tied up in their history and characterization and would be very different if it was about two young men or one boy and one girl.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

the game does a decent bit with gay stuff in terms of like, Theming, and just by virtue of it being another girl, and a small town, it has a lot of very loaded imagery and connotations that i feel like the devs might not have grasped but im not exactly up to date with the gay experience in france

glam rock hamhock posted:

Can you please maybe use spoiler tags when talking about the end of Life is Strange? Like every month you people discuss the end of that game and I got do my best to dodge them and yes I probably should just play it already but c'mon, please. (you should probably spoiler LoU ending stuff too, but I've played that).
my bad, games like 20 years old or something so i just kinda let it rock

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

FirstAidKite posted:

you couldn't really create the same character dynamic that max and chloe have if you replaced chloe with a dude, which is the best part of the game's writing, which makes the ending asking you to just toss away an actually decent character dynamic in favor of a bunch of characters you have zero actual dynamic with really weird. if it was between the town or that random guy who tries to mack on you constantly i would've totally gone with the town lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Colonel posted:

you couldn't really create the same character dynamic that max and chloe have if you replaced chloe with a dude, which is the best part of the game's writing, which makes the ending asking you to just toss away an actually decent character dynamic in favor of a bunch of characters you have zero actual dynamic with really weird. if it was between the town or that random guy who tries to mack on you constantly i would've totally gone with the town lol

From a utilitarian point of view you should've picked the choice that saves the most human lives imo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also i never figured out the difference between broken sword shadow of the templars and beneath a steel sky

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

From a utilitarian point of view you should've picked the choice that saves the most human lives imo

It's not about what you do, it's about what Max would do.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jay Rust posted:

i'm not a fan of tales of zestiria, sorry

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There is a boy in life is strange but to this day not a single person has ever chosen him as the love interest

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

also i never figured out the difference between broken sword shadow of the templars and beneath a steel sky
cant help you there boss

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

It's not about what you do, it's about what Max would do.

It's not a movie

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

There is a boy in life is strange but to this day not a single person has ever chosen him as the love interest

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowcaster posted:

i played five minutes of beneath a steel sky and one minute of broken sword. that's the key difference

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

Because he's supposed to end up with Brooke

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Just gonna drop this vid in here 'cause I think it is interesting and neat even though it really has nothing to do with the current conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1YnaB30fbo

That was interesting and it's good to hear of how people identify with and relate to both aspects of characters and larger gameplay styles, since that's not really something I experience. I don't mean that in some chud "I am truly objective" way, I just don't personally have that same feeling of connection to many characters if at all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Because he's supposed to end up with Brooke

You can make certain choices that will influence Brooke to go out with Daniel instead in another instance of Mega Warren ownage.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

chumbler posted:

I just don't personally have that same feeling of connection to many characters if at all.

:same:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

You can make certain choices that will influence Brooke to go out with Daniel instead in another instance of Mega Warren ownage.

This is brilliant

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
FF9 is real good in regards to Quina not even having a gender and it's never an issue and nobody makes any jokes about Quina or the Qu's gender.

Quina is cool. Quool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the him/her thing is kind of weird but thats just a translation thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

• Locked thread