Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Necrosaro posted:

New CSB video - CSB Interim Animation on Husky Refinery Explosion and Fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU0dIK5EJYI

I am -so- ready for the next CSB video this will inevitably be some part of. I'm still riding the high of Caught in the Storm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtWyBMwRt-A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I still find it hilarious that so many people though that diesel VW's were going to "save the planet".

Apparently they never stood behind one and noticed it smells like tire fire.

Some people stood behind them for other reasons.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Necrosaro posted:

Waitwaitwait... Husky refinery?
And all this time I thought Huskies were bred.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Necrosaro posted:

man this has got me pumped

they're getting to be really good at this haha

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Necrosaro posted:

I'm a 3D guy, any of you goons know where I apply to get a job animating this stuff?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sagebrush posted:

as they're walking out of the dealership after having returned the car: "how could a company lie to their customers on such a massive scale??"

uhhhhhhhhh news flash buddy, welcome_to_capitalism.rtf

I really love that this grift was discovered when an environmental organization researching emissions of cars tested the diesel VWs on a bench, and then tested the car in normal driving, and then couldn't figure out why their readings were diverging so sharply and then reached out to car-savvy people, as hopefully they could point out what the environmentalists were doing wrong

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DiHK posted:

I'm a 3D guy, any of you goons know where I apply to get a job animating this stuff?

https://www.abbottmedia.net

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Gunshow Poophole posted:

man this has got me pumped

they're getting to be really good at this haha

The drat sound effects are wonderful by themselves.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Hard hat talk reminded me of a 1980s video game I remembered with a guy in a hard hat, so I looked it up. It seems it's more OSHA than I remembered:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

NatasDog posted:

No doubt he really hams it up with the eco-conscious shtick, but he does an excellent job chronicling the stonewalling and deliberate obfuscation on the part of VW management; not to mention the amazing lengths these small emissions testing companies had to go through in order to finally get them to fess up. The study with the monkeys and the diesel emissions was just :smith: too.

"I was beaming with pride, as I drove around the suburbs, or commuted to New York City. What I didn't know, is that I was driving a killing machine."

"Okay, it's usually a cheap shot to bring Hitler, BUT"

"They have perpetrated the single largest impact on our quality of air and environment" :lol:

The way the episode highlights the absolutely inexcusable conduct, the systemic culture of fraud-acceptance, and the way the engineers went about implementing the defeat devices, and it does it really well, but the guy has enough ammunition to fill the rest of the episode with more interesting details on how the fraud went on, and even became more ridiculous, but he just has to latch onto the the gassing-humans bit, where he sets up the actual testing of emissions on monkeys by LRRI (a company in New Mexico), then omits the Uniklinik Aachen study that received EUGT funding, switches back to the deposition of Johnson saying "in retrospect, it was bad optics", and then transitions right the dude going "GUESS WHO ELSE GASSED HUMANS, THE GUY THAT WAS AT VW'S GRAND FACTORY OPENING LOL".

It's just...it could have been a much better coverage of what happened, but he just couldn't avoid going for the low-hanging fruit. I mean, there's context to him doing so because of his emotional attachment to the subject (his daughter suffering from some respiratory disease iirc?), and his wife being in love with their planet-saving Jetta, but...yeah.

/edit:
Also, the bit where he tries to exclusively limit the misconduct to ZE GERMANS and tries to downplay the entirety of VW North America despite bringing up Johnson's testimony is pretty :ironicat:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 3, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Duzzy Funlop posted:

"They have perpetrated the single largest impact on our quality of air and environment" :lol:

Oh I didn't know Thomas Midgley worked for VW

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Subjunctive posted:

I'm surprised you're allowed to send something in that state through the post.

Back when the NVIDIA SHIELD tablets had their overheating battery scare they sent those who wanted replacements a box to send the old one back in. We got the new tablets before the boxes came to return the old ones which was nice. The boxes had inside them a bunch of fire retardant packaging and some kind of crushed rock too to pack the tablet in. The box was marked with a ton of safety warnings about fire and stuff too. Doesn't sound like the other goon got anything like that from amazon though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

I really love that this grift was discovered when an environmental organization researching emissions of cars tested the diesel VWs on a bench, and then tested the car in normal driving, and then couldn't figure out why their readings were diverging so sharply and then reached out to car-savvy people, as hopefully they could point out what the environmentalists were doing wrong
The VW group stuff was an industry open secret. Someone I know works in ICE optimization (for their competition) and when he saw the early audi q7 numbers he went "yeah I'm that's what it does with the lid open".

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

there's so much going on in this that it's almost a political cartoon

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

The VW group stuff was an industry open secret. Someone I know works in ICE optimization (for their competition) and when he saw the early audi q7 numbers he went "yeah I'm that's what it does with the lid open".

They interviewed some honda guys who were part of some working group trying to reverse engineer their diesel emissions numbers and they just out and out admitted it was voodoo, this was years previous

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Killer robot posted:

Hard hat talk reminded me of a 1980s video game I remembered with a guy in a hard hat, so I looked it up. It seems it's more OSHA than I remembered:

you can still play it https://archive.org/details/msdos_Hard_Hat_Mack_1984

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

"I was beaming with pride, as I drove around the suburbs, or commuted to New York City. What I didn't know, is that I was driving a killing machine."

"Okay, it's usually a cheap shot to bring Hitler, BUT"

Yeah, I'm not going to defend that, but as you said he's got a more personal connection with this than he did with say The Smartest Guys in the Room. I can give him a pass based on that, and it still gives one of the most thorough rundowns of just how far reaching the fraud was/is. The collusion between the various EU governments and manufacturers in order to maintain business as usual was a bit of an eye opener as well. That said, we're starting to get well outside the scope of the thread at this point, so I'll see myself out.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

The cells used in the model 3 are designed to self disable if a heat or pressure anomaly is detected

https://www.electrive.com/2018/07/29/new-patent-shows-tesla-attempting-to-make-battery-packs-safer/

The model 3 also has no advertised capacity, only range-- so it's also entirely plausible that possibly punctured cells are making it into packs that are built with more than needed capacity as a way to keep the line going, and they're relying on the safety mechanism to disable it. AFAIK there have been no model 3 battery fires so it's working so far?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

The cells used in the model 3 are designed to self disable if a heat or pressure anomaly is detected

This is absolutely not the case.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Qwijib0 posted:

https://www.electrive.com/2018/07/29/new-patent-shows-tesla-attempting-to-make-battery-packs-safer/

The model 3 also has no advertised capacity, only range-- so it's also entirely plausible that possibly punctured cells are making it into packs that are built with more than needed capacity as a way to keep the line going, and they're relying on the safety mechanism to disable it. AFAIK there have been no model 3 battery fires so it's working so far?

so how much $TSLA do you own

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Qwijib0 posted:

HAHAHAHA

Did you copy paste this from hn?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I have this weird feeling that disabling a cell when high temperatures or pressures are detected is probably too late to stop it from burning or exploding

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The disable themselves automatically by catching on fire :smug: Just like a melting fuse.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Qwijib0 posted:

https://twitter.com/marycmccormack/status/1007831286176571394

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That’s not a 3.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Thanks god my three kids weren’t in the car that my husband calmly stopped, opened the door, and walked out of

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It’s my understanding that in the event of legitimate battery problems the car has a way to shut that whole thing down.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Slanderer posted:

This is absolutely not the case.

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search...=PCTDescription

quote:

When cells fail, the individual units typically release hot gases that could negatively affect the integrity of nearby cells. This usually results in functional cells being damaged as well. Tesla’s patent describes the use of two interconnects that would be positioned over the multiple battery cells. Multiple first cell connectors connect the positive terminal of the battery cells to the first interconnect, while multiple second cell connectors connect the negative terminal of the battery cells to the second interconnect. A top plate with an interior and an exterior side is placed over the first and second interconnect. An illustration of this could be found below.

This top plate includes one or more weak areas above one or more battery cells. These weak areas are designed to rupture when failed battery cells release heat and build up pressure. Tesla’s patent notes that these weak areas could be chemically weaker when exposed to the caustic gases released by failed battery cells. By adopting this system, Tesla would be able to contain the damage from failed cells to a specific section of the battery pack, saving the integrity of functional battery cells.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

so how much $TSLA do you own

None, but I do drive one of these deathtraps and it sure is the nicest coffin I've ever had I guess.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

TTerrible posted:

It’s my understanding that in the event of legitimate battery problems the car has a way to shut that whole thing down.

yes, but actually

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

The disable themselves automatically by catching on fire :smug: Just like a melting fuse.

Each cell actually is connected with a fusable wire. It only stops all other cells dumping their energy through the broken cell. It doesn't stop a thermal meltdown, you can only hope the rest of the pack can soak up the heat.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lurking Haro posted:

Each cell actually is connected with a fusable wire. It only stops all other cells dumping their energy through the broken cell. It doesn't stop a thermal meltdown, you can only hope the rest of the pack can soak up the heat.

It's okay, the guy's testimony in the lawsuit also said they were accidentally manufacturing batteries with the poles reversed from how they're supposed to be so they might just short circuit instead!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Battery Overheating Real Hahahaha Driver Just Walk Away From The Car Like Driver Close Your Eyes Haha

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurking Haro posted:

Better than a tech bro solution....

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-fire/battery-in-fatal-florida-tesla-crash-reignited-twice-ntsb-report-idUSKBN1JM2UG

The battery reignited twice with the last time several hours after it had been previously extinguished.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm equally concerned about the woman being held against her will by her husband, as reported on the police radio in the clip.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

It's okay, the guy's testimony in the lawsuit also said they were accidentally manufacturing batteries with the poles reversed from how they're supposed to be so they might just short circuit instead!

Those cells should spot-weld by themselves.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

evil_bunnY posted:

Possibly dumb question: why didn't the industry squeal? Liability for being a whistleblower? THANKS OBAMA

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Possibly dumb question: why didn't the industry squeal? Liability for being a whistleblower? THANKS OBAMA

all industries are incestuous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nebakenezzer posted:

whistleblowers get hosed regardless of context you only blow the lid off stuff when you've got no other choice