Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

tweet deleted. what did it say?

jit bull transpile posted:

That's my phones autocorrect at work. I always post minimum effort on formatting so my capitals are platform dependent wontfix

if you use awful.app in yospos it automatically has everything lower case.

also holy poo poo i thought i posted this hours ago and the reply box was still open on my computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
also i refer to something awful in general as my stupid internet forum or various other monikers of "dumb webpage"

i hang around other dorks so many of them know what it is anyways even if they never posted/lurked.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Mr. Nice! posted:

tweet deleted. what did it say?

It was toeing the right-wing line of "Jeong is a racist who says racist things just take a look at how racist she is"

All of the comments were lambasting bbc for swallowing the right-wing take hook line and sinker

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Not a Children posted:

It was toeing the right-wing line of "Jeong is a racist who says racist things just take a look at how racist she is"

All of the comments were lambasting bbc for swallowing the right-wing take hook line and sinker

it wasn't even the mealy mouthed "are these problematic tweets racist?", the headline was literally "NYT defend's racist's tweets"

not racist tweets, racist's tweets

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FCKGW posted:

it wasn't even the mealy mouthed "are these problematic tweets racist?", the headline was literally "NYT defend's racist's tweets"

not racist tweets, racist's tweets

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

iraq war cheerleader andrew "bell curve" sullivan calling someone else a racist is pretty ripe stuff

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

they only use "racially charged" in the hed when it's being done to notwhites

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
twitter should bill $0.01 per rt/reply to delete a tweet

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ah, i was slightly off then

it's wasn;t "are these tweet racist", it was "these tweets are racist and NYT supports the person who sent them"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

But it does reveal a worldview in which white people — all of them — are cultural parasites and contemptibly dull.

yes

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
so i've seen all this "sarah jeong" stuff but...what if she's right?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

twitter should bill $0.01 per rt/reply to delete a tweet

twitter should make it impossible to delete a tweet if you have a checkmark

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

end whites

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

it should be noted that the goal isn't to get jeong fired, it's to use it as a wedge to "redpill normies" as they say: having someone appear to be racist to white people means that it's ok for all racists on twitter or wherever

https://twitter.com/jcassano/status/1025331815941332994

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
"white people are cancelled" = white genocide is almost as funy as when the twitter chuds all pretended that "bend the knee" was a demand to suck a dick last year

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

wtf

(crosspostin)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

is "cancel <blank>" ever not used ironically?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FCKGW posted:

it should be noted that the goal isn't to get jeong fired, it's to use it as a wedge to "redpill normies" as they say: having someone appear to be racist to white people means that it's ok for all racists on twitter or wherever

https://twitter.com/jcassano/status/1025331815941332994

"you jews have jewed yourselves"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/mateosfo/status/1025440400943796224

Kennedy notes that the cost of trucking to Berkeley from the port of Oakland was more expensive than the cost of shipping from Hong Kong.

lol

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Beast of Bourbon posted:

so i've seen all this "sarah jeong" stuff but...what if she's right?

if?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Kennedy notes that the cost of trucking to Berkeley from the port of Oakland was more expensive than the cost of shipping from Hong Kong.

lol

i-880 sux so ya makes sense. it really does take longer to drive 10 miles on 880 traffic than to ship 3000 miles across the ocean.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

its cheaper to ship gravel from canada to the port of la than it is to truck gravel from outside of la to the port

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Seattle solves homelessness by tripling down on fart apps. everything is such garbage

quote:

Tech companies such as Amazon opposed Seattle’s short-lived head tax on large businesses to pay for homeless services and housing, but Mayor Jenny Durkan now says they can assist the city in other ways.

Rather than tap the companies’ bank accounts, she wants Seattle to tap their know-how. For example, they could help the city design apps for social services, Durkan says.

The mayor has convened an Innovation Advisory Council to seek advice on challenges such as homelessness and transportation, she announced Thursday during a news conference at Zillow’s downtown headquarters. She described the panel as a “new collaboration with Seattle’s technology community that will better highlight technology solutions.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/after-retreat-on-head-tax-for-homelessness-seattle-mayor-seeks-tech-company-expertise/

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

quote:

The units will rent for $2,180 monthly for single-occupancy,

lol i had rented a studio next to peoples park almost on-campus in an 1900s building for $1200 a month in 2012. glad to know poo poo is over $12k a year more expensive over a span of 6 years. what housing problem

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol

"Beds, sofas, sinks, and stoves" sounds better than "beds, sinks, sofas, and stoves", hth?

Also:

Sagebrush posted:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 3, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

its cheaper to ship gravel from canada to the port of la than it is to truck gravel from outside of la to the port

sea shipping was 10x cheaper than land shipping in babylon and sumer
it was 10x cheaper than land shipping in ancient egypt
it was 10x cheaper than land shipping in medieval china
it was 10x chepaer than land shipping in colonial america
it's 10x cheaper than land shipping in 2018

i suspect it will continue to be 10x cheaper than land shipping

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i deal with this all the time.

we're shipping 7500 inflatable cheersticks from china to an event in the states. It is basically free to get them to the port of LA, and something like $900 to get from LA to the event site across town.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
it got a lot cheaper after 1950 though

but yeah economies of scale gonna economies of scale

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

bob dobbs is dead posted:

sea shipping was 10x cheaper than land shipping in babylon and sumer
it was 10x cheaper than land shipping in ancient egypt
it was 10x cheaper than land shipping in medieval china
it was 10x chepaer than land shipping in colonial america
it's 10x cheaper than land shipping in 2018

i suspect it will continue to be 10x cheaper than land shipping

when the earth is a pale cinder it will all be land shipping

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

i-880 sux so ya makes sense. it really does take longer to drive 10 miles on 880 traffic than to ship 3000 miles across the ocean.

wait that widening project didn't work? interesting.......................

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i deal with this all the time.

we're shipping 7500 inflatable cheersticks from china to an event in the states. It is basically free to get them to the port of LA, and something like $900 to get from LA to the event site across town.

inflatable cheersticks sounds even stupider than thundersticks

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

inflatable cheersticks sounds even stupider than thundersticks

thunderstix are a protected name

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
more like gigglestick

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

nuclear take: sarah jeong now works for jeff bezos

Carlos Slim is the largest single shareholder of the New York Times' parent company

From 2010 to 2013, Slim was ranked as the richest person in the world by the Forbes business magazine.[1][4] He derived his fortune from his extensive holdings in a considerable number of Mexican companies through his conglomerate, Grupo Carso.[5] As of June 2018, he is the seventh-richest person in the world according to Forbes' listing of The World's Billionaires with a net worth estimated at $61.3 billion.[1] He is the richest man in Mexico.[6]

His conglomerate includes education, health care, industrial manufacturing, transportation, real estate, media, energy, hospitality, entertainment, high-technology, retail, sports and financial services.[2][3][7][8] He accounts for 40% of the listings on the Mexican Stock Exchange,[7] while his net worth is equivalent to about 6 percent of Mexico’s gross domestic product.[9]

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

charge checkmarks $1 for every tweet, anyone holding political office $3 per tweet, and Donald Trump specifically $5 per tweet

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

"Beds, sofas, sinks, and stoves" sounds better than "beds, sinks, sofas, and stoves", hth?

beds, sofas deez nuts

i think that's how it goes

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

incels interlinked posted:

Carlos Slim is the largest single shareholder of the New York Times' parent company

What percentage is this?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol

sounds like some autonomous trucks could cut out those greedy truck driver middle men

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Xaris posted:

lol i had rented a studio next to peoples park almost on-campus in an 1900s building for $1200 a month in 2012. glad to know poo poo is over $12k a year more expensive over a span of 6 years. what housing problem

berkleyians need their afternoon sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

fits my needs posted:

wtf

(crosspostin)

Sarah should get this framed, it is life affirming evidence that she is a morally upstanding person.