Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
The EVGA 280mm gets good marks for its stock fans. But as was said, they are all basically the same because most are built by Asetek. Look at Gamers Nexus' reviews, I feel they do the most thorough job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Good to know, I'm wondering what the be all and end all 140mm rad fans are, I don't mind replacing them.

Guess it isn't Gentle Typhoons any more? E - oh, I've got some of these already. I might just use those.

The Be Quiet AIO is interesting, full copper internals and refillable, and non Asetek pump.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 18, 2018

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Fair enough! Sorry for all the questions, but what's the best 140mm high static pressure fan with good acoustics?

Corsair ML140, these fans are so insanely good

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Good to know, I'm wondering what the be all and end all 140mm rad fans are, I don't mind replacing them.

Guess it isn't Gentle Typhoons any more? E - oh, I've got some of these already. I might just use those.

The Be Quiet AIO is interesting, full copper internals and refillable, and non Asetek pump.

Gentle Typhoons are 120mm

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

rage-saq posted:

Corsair ML140, these fans are so insanely good

Ahh my bad, I forgot the typhoons are 120mm.

Those Corsair are getting excellent reviews and they're cheap. Ty!

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Ahh my bad, I forgot the typhoons are 120mm.

Those Corsair are getting excellent reviews and they're cheap. Ty!

Make triple extra sure you don't run them on voltage control. They need 12v and a PWM signal for speed control. Voltage control will make them sound awful and shorten their lifespan considerably.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So the Enermax Liqtech TR4, which I was speculating with, seems to be am unreliable piece of trash, opposed to all those reviews (surprise). What about the EK-MLC stuff? There's apparently been issues with the TR4 block of theirs?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you are gonna watercool just buy an aquero

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

BurritoJustice posted:

Make triple extra sure you don't run them on voltage control. They need 12v and a PWM signal for speed control. Voltage control will make them sound awful and shorten their lifespan considerably.

Cool. I'll check that.

[E - looks like this case can run a 280mm rad, although the support docs say no. Guess I'll find out!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 19, 2018

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Can someone give me a quick run-down of the difference between the way 3-pin and 4-pin fans modulate their speed?

I have a Cooler Master 120mm fan in the front of my case which is annoyingly loud but I need it since I got two hard drives and an SSD in the bay next to PSU. It is 3-pin but I had to hook it up directly to the PSU with the 12v line, since my mobo has only two 4-pin fan connectors and no 3-pin ones at all.

If I want to have the fan controlled by software, can I buy a 4-pin to 3-pin adapter/splitter and run the back and front fans off of it? Or would I need a 4-pin fan?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I'm pretty sure you can just plug 3-pin fans straight into 4-pin headers

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Llamadeus posted:

I'm pretty sure you can just plug 3-pin fans straight into 4-pin headers

Would it still control the fan's speed?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Mark Larson posted:

Would it still control the fan's speed?
Most motherboards say they can autodetect 3-pin vs 4-pin fans and control them appropriately with voltage/pwm. Or at least you might have to option to set it.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

How often do people take apart their pumps to inspect them? I am about to drain and fill my loop to inspect everything for the first time. I built the loop last year and its been running continuously for most of that time. Temps are pretty low as stable though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Never

Ezekial
Jan 10, 2014

SPACE HOMOS posted:

How often do people take apart their pumps to inspect them? I am about to drain and fill my loop to inspect everything for the first time. I built the loop last year and its been running continuously for most of that time. Temps are pretty low as stable though.

I just swapped fluids and redesigned my layout, so cut a few new lengths etc, I didn't and don't check the pump. If you have problems with it running or hear bad noises, then go for it. But don't mess with what's not broken, especially in a pump that doesn't get a regular amount of external contaminates.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Thanks guys. I drained my loop and did some serious cleaning.

My last color was pink and I used the mayhems white microfluid which leaches into the tubing. Replaced all that after flushing with water. I tried to go for teal but ended up with more of a mint green.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Yo, is this a terrible idea?

That's a NZXT H200 ITX case. I'm thinking a front rad (280mm) intaking, a Fury X rad intaking as well at the top / back, and using the top fan as an exhaust.

Is that the recommended for temps way? Am I gonna cook my VRM's? Going to use a 2700X.

eames
May 9, 2009

I guess it's ok if you care a lot about your GPU temps. The exhaust air from your GPU rad should still cool the VRMs better than no airflow but I'd personally mount it as an exhaust instead. Keep in mind that the rear intake won't be dust filtered.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Sounds good with the GPU as exhaust. It would dump a lot of heat inside the case when loaded given a chance. Ty.

This'll be a fun build.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 30, 2018

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The motherboard in any system worth attaching a custom loop cooler with two radiators will have power delivery so overbuilt your CPU would explode with the force of 1000 suns long before you reach the thermal or mechanical limits of the power phases. And before that, the over current protection would force the system to back off or halt entirely. Orient the radiators and fans any way you would like and ignore the VRMs.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ones built into the fury X. The others a 280mm aio for the CPU.

Tbrh this is a (budget) bling build. I've never done one of those.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Ah, even then, as long as it isn't like some $89 special motherboard I wouldn't worry (and if it was, the VRMs overheating would probably be a feature not a glitch).

The math at least according to gigabyte is about 60 watts per phase (they built a board with 32 phases that could supply over 2000w through its LGA1155 socket).

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Indiana_Krom posted:

Ah, even then, as long as it isn't like some $89 special motherboard I wouldn't worry (and if it was, the VRMs overheating would probably be a feature not a glitch).

The math at least according to gigabyte is about 60 watts per phase (they built a board with 32 phases that could supply over 2000w through its LGA1155 socket).
There's a huge difference in efficiency between the power stages used on top end boards like that and the poo poo they solder onto mid- and low range consumer boards. On Z370, quite a lot of really rather pricey mid-range boards have real problems with VRM thermal throttling, even with just ambient cooling. You might have 8 phases that are in theory rated for 50 or 60 A each powering a heavily overclocked 8700K that tops out at "only" around 140 A or somewhere thereabouts, but with lovely enough efficiency, the VRM on its own can end up generating upwards of 25W of heat. Which you then need to cool away, and if you have neither heatsink nor airflow that takes some doing. 25W is more than the entire CPU TDP budget of many laptops. There are regularly people on Overclock.net who are get surprised by boards like the Asus Z370G (which is like $180 or something stupid like that and the board I was thinking of when I mentioned the figure of 25W) is actually thermal throttling on the VRM's. That board has, on paper, 480A (8x60) of rated power delivery, and it has problems doing like 100-125A without falling over. Meanwhile, the Asus Maximus X Hero - which only has 400A (8x50) on paper - can do it without breaking a sweat, producing about half as much heat even at over three times faster switching frequency (150kHz is standard on the Z370G, while the Maximus X Hero uses power stages designed for 500kHz).

Your point stands though - with good boards this just isn't an issue, and there are good boards to be had for reasonable money, you just have to know what you're looking for (that is, look for the right kind of nerds who tabulate this kind of information, because it sure isn't in the regular spec sheets).

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 2, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Corsair ml140 best 140mm rad fans?

What's the best for quietness 120mm case fan?

Rip op :(

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Corsair ml140 best 140mm rad fans?

What's the best for quietness 120mm case fan?

Rip op :(

ML120, but if you want quiet you go 140mm

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

rage-saq posted:

ML120, but if you want quiet you go 140mm

Ty, but I need 140mm rad fans, and a 120mm case fan. I worded the question bad, didn't I.

eames
May 9, 2009

If you have a Gentle Typhoon use that as your case fan. They're still some of the best fans around, though discontinued now.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

eames posted:

If you have a Gentle Typhoon use that as your case fan. They're still some of the best fans around, though discontinued now.

Nice. I do!

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Is anybody sending the heat from their setup to any places besides a radiator, or en route to a radiator, using the heat for something else? I was thinking how if you set it to run around 70C, you could use the CPU heat as pre-heat in a liquid print bed heater setup on a 3D printer. Printers can draw around 250W under load, the biggest chunk of which is the bed heater. Or running it under my cat's bed, or to a window radiator to not heat the room so much in summer.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Your water temp isn't gonna be more than 30-40c usually. I mean if you want to do it for a project but its not gonna make that much of a difference. Running the radiator outside a window may be fine but in the winter it will cause condensation on your equipment.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Probably going to re-do my setup later this year. My current loop has been running since about 2013 and it's time for an upgrade and probably a pump replacement.

What do you guys think about EK's monoblocks? VRM cooling definitely sounds worthwhile but I'm wondering if it sacrifices CPU cooling in exchange.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

VRM cooling usually isn't worthwhile. They are mostly for looks. They are very very hard to resell and usually cant be reused on another board.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

forbidden dialectics posted:

Probably going to re-do my setup later this year. My current loop has been running since about 2013 and it's time for an upgrade and probably a pump replacement.

What do you guys think about EK's monoblocks? VRM cooling definitely sounds worthwhile but I'm wondering if it sacrifices CPU cooling in exchange.

You gain a few degrees in CPU temps just due to the lesser clamping force on the socket, and you can't use delidded CPU's reliably with monoblocks because you change your CPU's Z-height. They look neat as gently caress though and you're probably still gonna have great temps, so it's a cost/performance vs aesthetics thing.

If you do have a delidded CPU, make sure to buy an aftermarket heatspreader that is taller to account for the difference, Bitspower makes a ridiculously tall one that is perfect for this.

For X299/X399 I'd recommend them as you can encounter VRM throttling a lot easier with the huge chips, and if you're going for 5.2+ with 1.4v+ on the 6 or 8 core Coffeelakes then they might be worth considering.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

You'd figure that with the release of the new Threadrippers, that EKWB would revise and unfuck their sTR4 block for the MLC series. I guess not.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

You'd figure that with the release of the new Threadrippers, that EKWB would revise and unfuck their sTR4 block for the MLC series. I guess not.

Bitspower apparently makes a selection of monoblocks as well, they generally have a good reputation.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Modmymods.com is having a pretty good sale at the moment - discounts on their already low prices. I picked up a few things I guess

I'll be re-using a couple rads but this is at least the core of my next build. Going to pick up an Aquacomputer Quadro and a couple temperature sensors to manage all the PWM fans, including one that I'll make a 3-d pointed shroud of the point at the VRMs.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is there any decent supplier that's pretty good quality but cheaper than the EKWB stuff? I specced out some Threadripper cooling, and I'm at like 500€ ;_;

https://i.imgur.com/BOXeMCw.png

--edit: I guess the Heatkiller stuff from a post above is OK? I've seen Der8auer using it, if that means something.
--edit: Seems like I still want the EKWB Threadripper block, considering the internals.
--edit: Gee, the Heatkiller stuff isn't exactly that much cheaper. :[

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 22, 2018

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Safely filling your computer with water is expensive. Are there any good all-in-one coolers for your CPU? Those tend to be cheaper without really compromising safety or cooling ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There isn't really much with full IHS coverage. The Enermax Liqtech TR4 seems interesting in principle, but the first version seemed to gunk up with crap pretty quickly due to lovely coolant. The second version with RGB is supposed to be fixed (with proper coolant), and has a new pump, but given that the fixed first version still craps out, I don't want to deal with it.

Then there's the EK-MLC, but the TR4 waterblock got the system doesn't have full coverage. I'd need to go semi-custom to get the Supremacy EVO sTR4 and put QDC fittings on it. And because of the pump assembly on the 360 radiator, it won't fit in the to of my H700i. Price wise, I'd not be that far away from going completely custom (400€ vs. 500€), so I might just as well go all the way.

Also, 10/16mm tubing vs. 12/16mm. Which one is better?