Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

god drat Death Knight is sick. I'm very happy with this update

The new particle effects are very pretty and the new music is excellent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
they fixed aa so the particles actually looks decent and it's given me a nice performance boost :D

seconded on the music too, andrew hulshult's score blows chris vrenna's phoned in bullshit out of the water.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Jose Mengelez posted:

...also does sabertech use idtech5 style texture streaming and would it benefit (outside of loading times obv) from being installed on ssd?

A lot of newer games do. I've got 7700k, 1070, intel 750p u.2 nvme, 32gb 3200 and stays at a solid 144fps with 144hz monitor. I don't use adaptive or vsync for the usual reasons.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

dk is maybe the most i've enjoyed the game yet. airshotting somebody with the convergence is incredible

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

cougar cub posted:

Just LOL at the info for DK coming out via random discord chats instead of an actual promo a la blizzard.

idk if I was a dev I would be ecstatic because it means: 1) less money+effort I have to put into marketing, 2) reminds me I have customers who are super interested in my product, 3) going forward we have that critical mass of potential customers so we don't have to invest as much into new features and can instead invest our efforts in higher return stuff like cosmetics

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I certainly prefer having dialogue with the core developers in the official discord over some hyper corporate manicured ad push

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
guess im going to play instagib forever now :unsmigghh:

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Love Stole the Day posted:

idk if I was a dev I would be ecstatic because it means: 1) less money+effort I have to put into marketing, 2) reminds me I have customers who are super interested in my product, 3) going forward we have that critical mass of potential customers so we don't have to invest as much into new features and can instead invest our efforts in higher return stuff like cosmetics

Quake has a history that allows them to do this though. People want maps, a lot of maps that already existed, people want player pawns, mostly that were already there.

Where's my loving Orb with a vanity top hat and monocle, I will pay you real cash bucks for this. Also where is Q2DM1 The Edge.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Love Stole the Day posted:

There are less than 2600 people in the official discord. That is not critical mass - that's a rounding error.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Do you know how much if a nerd do you have to be to join an official game discord? Maybe 5% of players wild do that ever.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

My wait's have rocketed from about 1 mins to 5 after this patch

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

cougar cub posted:

There are less than 2600 people in the official discord. That is not critical mass - that's a rounding error.

That's 2600 online, there's an additional 8600 offline. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make but it sucks, we're tryin to enjoy quake here

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

:allears:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
you have to be a pretty huge nerd to join the official discord for a game rather than just spend :10bux: to post about it here

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

New Zealand can eat me posted:

That's 2600 online, there's an additional 8600 offline. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make but it sucks, we're tryin to enjoy quake here

Also a huge part of the Quake community is still on IRC of all drat thing so...

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Had $5 free Steambux so I grabbed the starter pack. Have enough quake coins for 1 more champ and will likely have enough favor soon for another. Which character should I grab if I plan on playing InstaGib & CTF primarily? Been looking at Visor. DoomGuy was fun too but I'm wondering how well his utility will hold up in those modes. Already have QuakeGuy, Scale, Clutch & BJ.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

How the gently caress did they let Death Knight go live like this his super is so loving bullshit.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyNFSzwTtF8

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
poo poo yes patch is nice

Thief posted:

guess im going to play instagib forever now :unsmigghh:

YESSSSSSS :allears:

Also the 2nd skin set for death knight is pretty much Bones, so I'm happy as hell

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Oh poo poo you can multi-queue now and it puts you in the first available

ahhhh thank you Id

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

was wondering why my queue times were 3+ minutes instead of less than 2, turns out the patch had unchecked some datacenters. if you're getting longer than usual wait times after today, check that

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
via /vg/:

Haha whoops

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

DoctorStrangelove posted:

How the gently caress did they let Death Knight go live like this his super is so loving bullshit.

Clearly you haven't tried using gauntlet-only scalebearer, the homing circular saw of the neighborhood.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Woah, I played this only a bit but this patch looks awesome. Lots of improvements and new music too. I hope it keeps getting love because being in 2018 with a good doom, wolfenstein games and now QC improving... :haw:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Getting Andrew Hulsh to do the new tracks was a good move. He's like the modern Zak Belica.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

The Joe Man posted:

Had $5 free Steambux so I grabbed the starter pack. Have enough quake coins for 1 more champ and will likely have enough favor soon for another. Which character should I grab if I plan on playing InstaGib & CTF primarily? Been looking at Visor. DoomGuy was fun too but I'm wondering how well his utility will hold up in those modes. Already have QuakeGuy, Scale, Clutch & BJ.

Visor or Death Knight.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Jose Mengelez posted:

ok let me rephrase;

lets say we're playing a custom game with abilities disabled, gore off and ranger movement only, why would that be an order of magnitude more taxing on a modern x64 cpu than a 32 player dm in quake 3/live?

i'm asking what (graphics aside, as rendering will be offloaded to the gpu anyway) QC's engine is doing that QL's isn't.

Quake Live's engine's core is from 2000. The doom2016 engine isn't. A fuckton happens underneath the hood of any game that is not even remotely graphic-related. Those things got upgraded over time just as much as the visual side. So yes, there is an order of magnitude more going on even if you, the player, do not have anything to do with that aspect. This isn't just for this game. It is like that across the board; cpu requirements have been steadily going up. If they weren't you could in theory take a cpu from 2000, slap the latest gpu on it and call it a day(compatibility aside). But it's pretty clear that that is not how it works at all.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

A lot of people have bought into the nonsense that Sandy Bridge through Kaby Lake were just incremental upgrades that could be made up through overclocking the piss out of things. But while there is some truth to that, and I'm leaving out six to eight core systems here, it leaves a lot out. One of the platforms clobbers other.

Then there is the issue that Hyper-Threading is used more widely now, many games can do eight threats so walking into gaming now with a non i7 quad is just asking for issues.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

ndub posted:

was wondering why my queue times were 3+ minutes instead of less than 2, turns out the patch had unchecked some datacenters. if you're getting longer than usual wait times after today, check that

They hosed up all my settings to. Also there is an new audio setting, turn it on!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

?

Compared to.... what? Just stay away from him. He's not fast enough to catch the lights and the heavies can take the hit. Also his passives aren't all that. Standing in lava/fire/heat is funny, but pointless most times. The burning gauntlets is hella funny, but not all that. Though tracing people through the wall by their damage sounds/numbers is hilarious when you nick them.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Mindblast posted:

Quake Live's engine's core is from 2000. The doom2016 engine isn't. A fuckton happens underneath the hood of any game that is not even remotely graphic-related. Those things got upgraded over time just as much as the visual side. So yes, there is an order of magnitude more going on even if you, the player, do not have anything to do with that aspect. This isn't just for this game. It is like that across the board; cpu requirements have been steadily going up. If they weren't you could in theory take a cpu from 2000, slap the latest gpu on it and call it a day(compatibility aside). But it's pretty clear that that is not how it works at all.

quake champions isn't running on the doom2016 engine (idtech 6) dude.
it's running on a third party engine built from the ground up by saber whose previous work includes unofficially porting halo 3 multiplayer to pc and...uh *crickets chirping*.

i didn't have any problems with doom2016 at all. it runs completely buttery smooth even in multiplayer as did wolf:tnc (also idtech 6).
i can run both those games maxed out capped at 120fps without drops. it's a fantastic engine (especially with vulkan).

sabertech has... potential?
there's clearly a reason the dev roadmap promises multiple rounds of optimization to come. the game's still in early access after all, and will be for a good while.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Doom 2016 is the only game I can run maxed at 144hz and it's ...almost too good. sensory overload

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

hawowanlawow posted:

Doom 2016 is the only game I can run maxed at 144hz and it's ...almost too good. sensory overload

i reckon idtech6 and all of john carmack's quake engines have left me with massively unrealistic expectations wrt optimization.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Jose Mengelez posted:

i reckon idtech6 and all of john carmack's quake engines have left me with massively unrealistic expectations wrt optimization.

This! Plus we live in the era of endless betas and early access.

This game has come a long way from the closed alpha though.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

MysteriousStranger posted:

Visor or Death Knight.
Thanks! Yeah Visor owns (have the 3 day free rent thing from the $5 pack so got to try them both).

This game owns now. Queue times are lower, removal of the bots was a great idea, zero lag/performance problems that I've experienced. Had a blast last night and actually placed 1st & 2nd regularly mainlining instagib matches. They add CTF and I'll be a happy camper.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Was there ever a reason why they picked this random engine instead of idtech6?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Jose Mengelez posted:

quake champions isn't running on the doom2016 engine (idtech 6) dude.
it's running on a third party engine built from the ground up by saber whose previous work includes unofficially porting halo 3 multiplayer to pc and...uh *crickets chirping*.

A quake game running on other tech? Interesting world we live in! Reading more into it, its a hybrid idtech + sabertech engine. The idtech still isn't the 2016 version. Apparantly it wasn't ready to be used outside Doom2k16.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine

cougar cub posted:

From what I remember, it already had the loot modules built into it.

Checked to see if I could stop having to hoard reliquaries.

This is starting to feel downright malicious.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Yvershek posted:

From what I remember, it already had the loot modules built into it.

Checked to see if I could stop having to hoard reliquaries.

This is starting to feel downright malicious.

Once you get far enough in you non stop generate shards and can buy chests on the constant.

Also again we has discord https://discord.gg/m45w5cn

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

cougar cub posted:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/quake-champions/quake-champions-engine-saber-interactive

It sounds like they started working on quake champions before doom went gold, so it would have been difficult to develop on a moving target and the doom team couldn't spare support.

Also they say it uses some id tech and some saber tech but aren't real clear about what that means :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I only wish death knight had a classic skin

wanna look like this