Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

Asking questions like that is how you get official handbooks of the marvel universe.

I wish I could be happy the way I was as a youth studying OHOTMU like a lunatic. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Asking questions like that is how you get official handbooks of the marvel universe.

That way leads madness and Comic Facts images.

Did you know the Hulk is so strong he could crush the universe with one hand? BUT DOESN'T?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Infinitum posted:

That way leads madness and Comic Facts images.

Did you know the Hulk is so strong he could crush the universe with one hand? BUT DOESN'T?

To be real, tho, I don't think you can compare the marvel handbook's insanely detailed minutiae, convoluted ultra-dimensional theories and complete refusal to acknowledge that comics are fiction with the poorly researched, half-remembered clickbait nonsense of Comic Facts.

It's "Spider-man actually sticks to walls using static electricity because any other forms of adhesion would not work through his clothes and would leave a residue" vs "Batman is so powerful that he once defeated Harvey Dent AND Two Face using only one shotgun."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Codependent Poster posted:

Those are bad. They look like they can't cut through anything and are only good for poking. Plus with the curve they shouldn't be able to retract!

Jim Lee's claws are a good combo of the two.

These are really good. I never much got the Jim Lee hate

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Infinitum posted:

So has he always been able to do this, or is this a 'whoops I hosed up' teaching moment about sharp objects?

He was drunk

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

BiggerBoat posted:

Jim Lee hate starts with the fact that his superheroes are generic without acknowledging that he was the originator of that art style. It's like hating Goodfellas because all other mob movies imitated it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Madkal posted:

Jim Lee hate starts with the fact that his superheroes are generic without acknowledging that he was the originator of that art style. It's like hating Goodfellas because all other mob movies imitated it.

That makes sense and he was also a part of the birth of the X-TREME™ Style but at least his poo poo was good and had some care to it unlike a lot of his peers at the time. My only gripe with him was that he drew EVERYONE as big, barrel chested Batmen instead of giving them different body types (then again a LOT of artists do that. Is that what you mean by generic? ) and overdid his line work and hatching a lot.

His work is pretty strong to me even if I'm not overly sold on his style.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BiggerBoat posted:

Just look at a group shot he's drawn and you'll get it.

Plus he's designed some incredibly awful costumes over at DC because for some reason they thought drawing and designing were the same skills.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Fuckin' George Perez should have taught them that was a lie.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jim Lee's bodies are very limited, but I think he's still the person I think of most when someone talks about drawing superheroes. Because yeah, all of his characters look like superheroes; so that's his best feature and biggest weakness. Otherwise he's really talented with panel layouts and drawing action and even facial expressions.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

He's also a talented and detailed draftsman and I think that makes people view his character drawings even more positively when backgrounds and everything else in the panel is realistic and lushly illustrated. Jim Lee's Gotham even without any people in it still looks drat cool and is probably recognizably his.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Of the 90's Lee-alikes, I always had a soft spot for Marc Silvestri. Scribbly Jim Lee. He is also probably my fave Wolverine artist.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 3, 2018

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Talking about Wolverine art I had this Glenn Fabry poster over my bed for years when I was a teenager. It was a massive poster too

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Pretty sure that was originally a trading card.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
It took a couple tries for me to figure out what the hell his right arm was doing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Takezio posted:

It took a couple tries for me to figure out what the hell his right arm was doing.

Whatever it's doing it's the best there is at doing it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

His art is extremely generic.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Madkal posted:

Talking about Wolverine art I had this Glenn Fabry poster over my bed for years when I was a teenager. It was a massive poster too

That's pretty loving ugly.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BiggerBoat posted:

That's pretty loving ugly.
Turn your monitor on.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I recognise that art style: it got used in the Batman/Judge Dredd crossover. It worked for that, but not so much with Wolverine.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FMguru posted:

Turn your monitor on.

Still ugly. Yikes.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Bloodly posted:

I recognise that art style: it got used in the Batman/Judge Dredd crossover. It worked for that, but not so much with Wolverine.

I love the art in the Batman/Judge Dredd comics (well, not counting Vendetta in Gotham. Not that it's bad, just so different from the others). I think it hits some of the same notes as Ross, but with more of an emphasis on stylisation. And I always did like this panel of Judge Anderson poking around in Batman's head.

I can definitely see why people would call it ugly though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

catlord posted:

I love the art in the Batman/Judge Dredd comics (well, not counting Vendetta in Gotham. Not that it's bad, just so different from the others). I think it hits some of the same notes as Ross, but with more of an emphasis on stylisation. And I always did like this panel of Judge Anderson poking around in Batman's head.

Nah, that's pretty cool but that Wolverine poster is brutal.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

catlord posted:

Bill Sienkiewicz called and wants his style back

Yeah, I like it a lot

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I should probably note, that's Bisley and not Fabry, though Fabry did do art for the crossovers too.

Edit: Here's a page he did for it.

catlord fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 3, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

catlord posted:

I should probably note, that's Bisley and not Fabry, though Fabry did do art for the crossovers too.

Edit: Here's a page he did for it.

Fabry's early painting was somewhat inspired by Bisley. He was definitely into his own style when he provided the complete run of Preacher covers, though. And his regular linework is excellent as well, particularly on Slaine.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Madkal posted:

That looks gross. You actually kept that in your room on display?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Madkal posted:

Open Marriage Night posted:

Pretty sure that was originally a trading card.

Just got home and looked at my collection that I've kept from elementary school. It's from the 1994 Fleer Ultra line. I for some reason never finished that line. (I did get 1993 line and Marvel Masterpiece lines completed though through good ol' playground trading).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

catlord posted:

Holy cheek bones Batman!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

IUG posted:

Just got home and looked at my collection that I've kept from elementary school. It's from the 1994 Fleer Ultra line. I for some reason never finished that line. (I did get 1993 line and Marvel Masterpiece lines completed though through good ol' playground trading).

My dad would just buy the sets at flea markets. That was my Marvel wiki, or Handbook of the Marvel Universe equivalent.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

My dad would just buy the sets at flea markets.

Please don't tempt me to try to complete some of the other sets from the 90s that I never finished as a kid.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Is this Corben?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

IUG posted:

Please don't tempt me to try to complete some of the other sets from the 90s that I never finished as a kid.

Do it. They’re one of the few things I’ve kept from my childhood. Every few years I’ll go to my parents house, and pull them down from the closet in my old room. My favorite is probably the Bagley Spider-Man set where every nine cards make a single image. Looks great in a binder.

The X-Men sets from the 90’s were pretty great, and you can’t go wrong with Marvel Masterworks.

Edit: How could I forget the Amalgam cards? I think some of those characters were exclusive to the card set.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 4, 2018

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I like weird artwork with stylistically weird proportions (ie done on purpose,not Liefeldian wankery). One of my fave Batman artist's is Kelly Jones for instance. I had no issue with the Wolverine poster.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Mister Mind posted:

Is this Corben?
No, it’s the interior artist, Julio Das Pastoras.

If Richard Corben had done it, rest assured that it would be just as disturbing but intentionally so.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was thumbing through som Superman trades and hit this page from a Superman Annual that retells Mon-El/Lar Gand's history. Out of context it's meaningless but hot drat if it ain't pretty.

(art by Javier Pina)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Something went terribly wrong during the cosmetic surgery for his thighs

Svensken
May 29, 2010
It's his pants. They're old school English riding pants, here's the best pic I could find on short notice:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Svensken posted:

It's his pants. They're old school English riding pants, here's the best pic I could find on short notice:

Also known as "jodhpurs".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It's a stylized version of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police uniform (key word "Mounted" because yes, they're riding pants)

e: note the pistol lanyard around the neck