Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Smeep posted:

They did a Pizzagate one already

Edit: I saw exactly 2 Q signs and no tshirts at the rally so far

Maybe Florida has more stupid extremely online olds than PA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Yeah, boy howdy it is great how NK gave up their nukes and joined the global community.

Can you imagine if instead they insulted our Sec State, started building more missiles, and refused to make any hard commitments? Trump would look like a fool!

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The pizzagate theory massively predates Trump family separation.

It's conceivable it's a contributor to increased popularity.

Oh yeah. This isn't a theory of everything. Whoever started Q probably had different motivations but it feels like it really exploded after Trump started separating families. Like that's the point where it went from stuff that people really could rationalize away to stuff that they couldn't and found it intensely distressing to be in such a situation.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Oh don’t you worry I am 100% positive that the DA will be on board with you having all your conversations with you attorney being broadcast publicly for all to listen to :downsbravo:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

https://twitter.com/LauraLoomer/status/1025148766565879812

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Smeep posted:

They did a Pizzagate one already

Edit: I saw exactly 2 Q signs and no tshirts at the rally so far

what was the pizzagate ep

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
for a journalist, loomer sure doesnt know how questioning works

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sir Tonk posted:

you mean there's low reporting standards with the woman who 'investigated' the vegas shooting by walking into police stations, asking if it was a false flag, and then when they said 'get out idiot' she tweeted about the fascist cops stopping her hunt for the truth

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

what was the pizzagate ep

Sometime last year, I think it was a Chinese restaurant. It was pretty explicitly based on Pizzagate so it shouldn’t be hard to find.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sir Tonk posted:

Loomer is a loving idiot. Does she even have a journalism degree?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

How much you want to bet that there is a DM with Loomer saying "you should go out and do X or Y"?

And that kid brain drug story sounded exactly like the kind of stories that used to get posted on Chemtrail forums. Like they'd had someone who knew something, or better yet a former person who worked for an airline or did repairs. They'd find some weird piping that lead to a drum, and then when they asked their superiors about it because, "hey that's not supposed to be there, whats up?". They get told not to investigate further, but they always get some creepy visit from the FBI but are clearly MIBs or one I saw he could see a hooded figure in the car they arrived on, and you could see a reptillian snout.

poo poo like that was all over the place at the time. I used to hang out in a yahoo chat channel that was basically Lulz look at all the conspiracy nuts, they're hilarious, here's a new story about a time traveller or whatnot. Thing is poo poo like that would always be over detailed which suggests lies, or filled with wrong information (like the mechanics would claim they found a 50 gallon drum hidden in the plane, which sounds impressive, but if you were doing ariel spraying over large areas from 30k feet, isn't a lot).

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

'....and it turns out that Donald Trump, noted owner of small, pink hands...is an adrenochrome fiend too. PS he's also a reptoid.'

Update from the author, who runs a website dedicated to his own grimdark tales:

I haven't been able to find this exchange on his twitter feed, but I could have overlooked it.

So intense is the author's outrage at the possibility of his year-old story being co-opted by Qanon that he's reposted a link to it on his twitter, and helpfully tagged it #adrenochrome. So he's definitely not hoping to become a latter-day Arthur Machen, whose false-document WWI tale 'The Bowmen' was so compellingly written that not even he, the original creator, could stop it being reported in the British press as truth. He's not at all desperate for fame as the horror author whose crazy yarn unwittingly became one of the building blocks of the Q-mythos, even though it actually starred Donald Trump as a druggie reptilian. No sir.

I get the niggling feeling, based on nothing more scientific than knowing quite a few people who are into writing this sort of stuff (and not being totally above it myself, it's a fair cop), that the strange impulse to get people to at least half-believe something you know you've made up is perhaps also what got the ball rolling on Q itself:

1) create sensational, mysterious ARG-esque intelligence bulletins to both entertain fellow Trump supporters, and watch them dance, since let's face it, you are quite a lot smarter than most of them.
2) Realise that you've accidentally created a genuine propaganda weapon, and can use it for your cause.
3) :regd08:

This is an early Q post (different tripcode to the current one, I think) and it's ARG-y as all hell:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

TulliusCicero posted:

it was a joke cause she keeps claiming to be a journalist on twitter

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol that the impetus for Q might have come from an fictional tidbit that involved loving reptile aliens

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

The Phlegmatist posted:

Russia has a long history and extensive institutional knowledge of using conspiracy theories as disinfo.

Which is why "hey let's make Americans believe Donald Trump personally posts on 4chan in coded messages talking about his eventual victory over the deep state" would be laughed out of the room immediately, because it's too loving ridiculous and I would at least hope Russia thinks more highly of Americans than that.

If we’re going to hope Russia thinks more highly of Americans than “hey let's make Americans believe Donald Trump personally posts on 4chan in coded messages talking about his eventual victory over the deep state" we should probably remember that for several years during perhaps potentially the most deadly stage of the Cold War, the Russians were faced with an American President who was guided by astrology

(From a few pages back, I know, sorry.)

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1025402385752092673?s=21

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The only reason Rush and Jones haven’t/stopped supporting Q is that it makes their particular thralls loyal to a source they have no control over who can have the Qult turn on them in an instant with one lovely coded sentence and that’s hurt their bottom line. Hard to turn a profit when you make your audience someone else’s audience

oh ok
Oct 11, 2004

Alternate... universe... Shauna... fails... BECHAMEL TEST.

(Passim)
The Washington Post interviewed a Q patriot this morning.

quote:

“There are millions of very smart middle-class nerds — men and women of all races — that have normal lives, and they have no desire to work for The Washington Post or work on Wall Street or get their name in headlights and receive a plaque in front of 300 people,” he said. “They want to live their lives, but they happen to be extremely bright or creative or intuitive or unbelievable researchers who are just living humble lives. Now there’s an Internet, and they can plug into a community.”

What is that term for when you're too dumb to know you're not smart?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Dunning–Kruger effect?

“We’re all working basic lovely dead end jobs but that’s because we CHOOSE not to have our genius recognized!”

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
They are such great researchers! So proud of our research.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Rush Limbaugh is a sex tourist junkie why would they think he’s against human trafficking?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Moose-Alini posted:

They are such great researchers! So proud of our research.

"I've done my research, I've watched hundreds of hours of videos on youtube about reptoids, Zionist conspiracies, 9/11 truth and about how Hillary's death count!"

Brain Curry posted:

Rush Limbaugh is a sex tourist junkie why would they think he’s against human trafficking?

He's probably trying to find out how he can get some child brain drugs.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

twistedmentat posted:

He's probably trying to find out how he can get some child brain drugs.

If the FBI ever worked on the side of humanity, they'd set up fake adrenochrome stings to trap millionaires, like they do with red mercury for would-be terrorists

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Cool I just got a CNN alert for a long article about Q and the rally in Tampa. The writing is all ‘here’s their claims’ no actual rebuttals or thought in it. The media is really dropping the ball on pretty much everything Trump, from the day he declared.

Am I the only one who thinks it’s probably not a great idea to broadcast nonsense like this all over the place? People are really dumb after all...

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Moose-Alini posted:

Cool I just got a CNN alert for a long article about Q and the rally in Tampa. The writing is all ‘here’s their claims’ no actual rebuttals or thought in it. The media is really dropping the ball on pretty much everything Trump, from the day he declared.

Am I the only one who thinks it’s probably not a great idea to broadcast nonsense like this all over the place? People are really dumb after all...

Especially since they’re so dopey that they believe that media coverage = validating/proving Q. And of course whoever Q is posts all these articles him/herself as a “proof.”

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Moose-Alini posted:

Can you link the article? There doesn't seem to be anything like that on CNN.com currently

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Can you link the article? There doesn't seem to be anything like that on CNN.com currently

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/01/us/youtube-qanon-8chan-conspiracy-theory-trnd/index.html

Guess the article is from yesterday, but got an alert like a half hour ago.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Moose-Alini posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/01/us/youtube-qanon-8chan-conspiracy-theory-trnd/index.html

Guess the article is from yesterday, but got an alert like a half hour ago.

That doesn't seem nearly as positive as you are claiming

"In a series of videos posted online, QAnon has targeted Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg and Cemex, a Mexican cement company, who were all baselessly accused of pedophilia."

"Despite YouTube's efforts to fight misinformation and fake news, the videos appeared among the top search results"

"Cemex, a Mexican construction materials company, is being targeted because it reportedly owns an abandoned camp in Arizona which conspiracy theorists erroneously believe is the location of a human trafficking site."

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Yeahidunno I feel like saying ‘baseless’ and ‘fakenews’ isn’t nearly as strong a denouncement as we need in these hosed up times. We need some real backbone in journalism taking people to task, like a reincarnated Hunter S Thompson or something.

Maybe mention some of the super ridiculous stuff that an average person would balk at. This is more like gateway stuff to me.

These people think CNN is the enemy of the people and everything is true but that one word at the end of the sentence. Doing more harm presenting all this crap and saying ‘nah’ than saying nothing at all.

Moose-Alini fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 3, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Moose-Alini posted:

Yeahidunno I feel like saying ‘baseless’ and ‘fakenews’ isn’t nearly as strong a denouncement as we need in these hosed up times. We need some real backbone in journalism taking people to task, like a reincarnated Hunter S Thompson or something.

These people think CNN is the enemy of the people and everything is true but that one word at the end of the sentence. Doing more harm presenting all this crap and saying ‘nah’ than saying nothing at all.

Imagine if Hunter S. Thompson lived to see 2018.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Moose-Alini posted:

NBC actually put out a great explainer/debunking today. Ben Collins and Will Sommer are some of the only folks covering it well.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

He'd shoot himself in the head.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
This just proves that they’re OVER THE TARGET

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TulliusCicero posted:

quote:

In March 2015, Loomer used a concealed video camera to record her conversations with Barry University officials, discussing the idea of starting a club called "Sympathetic Students in Support of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria." The official responded by asking her to change the name to "Students in Support of the Middle East." The video of her encounter was released by James O'Keefe with Project Veritas.[7] O'Keefe alleged that Loomer's video captured a university official unfazed at the notion of starting an on-campus organization that would support ISIS.[11] Shortly after the edited video was released by O'Keefe, Loomer was suspended by Barry University for violating the student code of conduct rules; criminal charges were also filed against her for taping university officials without their knowledge or consent.[12] At the time, Loomer was an honors student in her senior year, the president of Barry University's Young Republicans Club, and majoring in communications.[13]

She attended Mount Holyoke College and, after transferring schools, graduated from Barry University[7] with a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism.[8]

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

You shouldn't even be allowed to call yourself an "Honor" student if your major is communications.

Source: Majored in communications.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

So how long before someone is just copy-pasting SCP Foundation entries as Q updates?

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
So long as it's the SCP article about the moon and the Apollo program, I can dig it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Paladin posted:

So how long before someone is just copy-pasting SCP Foundation entries as Q updates?

If you rewatch that one Heat vs Boston DVR enough times the players tell you where you find the solid evidence needed to lock Hillary up.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

Bush getting re-elected still reflected more that was wrong with the us than anything in the trump era yet. He choose a good time to quit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Zerilan posted:

If you rewatch that one Heat vs Boston DVR enough times the players tell you where you find the solid evidence needed to lock Hillary up.

oh yeah, wasn't this like a DVR recording that was always changing?