Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Guys we'll never see 500k houses again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

With 20% interest rates triggered by a trade war we might.

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/hutchyman/status/1025452689117736960?s=21

Lol

The CRA hasn't even fully implemented the common reporting standard yet. :smugdog:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Die you fuckers

https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1024479711207084034

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
HOUSING PRICES PLUMMET 8%

same houses went up in price 30% last year

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich

I don't even know what the loving point to this graph is. Ft Lauderdale the most expensive place in North America to live lol

jens von bergman is one of those developer shills who happens to know how to use github and creates all these loving graphs that prove housing is affordable in vancouver as the entire economy melts away because teachers, doctors, librarians somehow can't find the moxy to make life work in the best place on earth. what a bunch of losers. why can't they all be like that 5 kids 1 condo shithead

Dinosaurtrain fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 3, 2018

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dinosaurtrain posted:

I don't even know what the loving point to this graph is. Ft Lauderdale the most expensive place in North America to live lol

It's more a matter of local income vs things like rent.

Homes are much cheaper in Florida but rent is fairly high compared to income.

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich

etalian posted:

It's more a matter of local income vs things like rent.

Homes are much cheaper in Florida but rent is fairly high compared to income.

Which just tells you that there's a better cap rate in ft lauderdale. cool

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Dinosaurtrain posted:

jens von bergman is one of those developer shills who happens to know how to use github and creates all these loving graphs that prove housing is affordable in vancouver as the entire economy melts away because teachers, doctors, librarians somehow can't find the moxy to make life work in the best place on earth. what a bunch of losers. why can't they all be like that 5 kids 1 condo shithead

He's actually a math prof at UBC. I've no idea how he feels about housing affordability, but he's never really struck me as a shill for developers or anyone else.

I know him in passing through bike advocacy circles, and he seems to have his heart in the right place (though he can be pretty abrasive.)

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Dinosaurtrain posted:

It's more about wages vs. housing expenses. Anything about 35% is usually considered bad.

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Lead out in cuffs posted:

He's actually a math prof at UBC. I've no idea how he feels about housing affordability, but he's never really struck me as a shill for developers or anyone else.

I know him in passing through bike advocacy circles, and he seems to have his heart in the right place (though he can be pretty abrasive.)

Are you sure? He's not on the UBC payroll. https://vpfinance.ubc.ca/files/2017/10/UBC-2017_Financial-Information-Act_Report.pdf

His wife appears to make 200k/year teaching dentistry though.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Lead out in cuffs posted:

A lot of the Abundant Housing set seems to have narrowed their arguments recently to just talking about four floor purpose built rental buildings and/or "gentle density." Years ago when that group formed I swear they were much more closer to just being vaguely pro condos everywhere (am I right on that?). I don't know if individuals have actually changed their opinions on things or if they've just limited their arguments so they aren't trolled for being developer shills so hard.

So at the moment the biggest thing much of the twitter supply siders possibly shill for is if anything the coach home building industry. Big developers like Onni and Westbank wouldn't even really benefit from the sort of "missing middle" type duplex-fourplex development that seems to be a major focus at the moment.

The real unabashed developer shills are guys like Bob Ransford and Jon Stovell.

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
oh god and that loving lanefab idiot

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Femtosecond posted:

A lot of the Abundant Housing set seems to have narrowed their arguments recently to just talking about four floor purpose built rental buildings and/or "gentle density." Years ago when that group formed I swear they were much more closer to just being vaguely pro condos everywhere (am I right on that?). I don't know if individuals have actually changed their opinions on things or if they've just limited their arguments so they aren't trolled for being developer shills so hard.

So at the moment the biggest thing much of the twitter supply siders possibly shill for is if anything the coach home building industry. Big developers like Onni and Westbank wouldn't even really benefit from the sort of "missing middle" type duplex-fourplex development that seems to be a major focus at the moment.

The real unabashed developer shills are guys like Bob Ransford and Jon Stovell.

their website contains nothing but the most vague, milquetoast statement about "we support housing of all kinds" but they've been humping the "upzone everything everywhere" train for a while now. as you know, it's impossible to have thoughtful, affordable housing without also allowing free reign to land speculators and building colossal empty luxury towers everywhere and turning SROs into chic microlofts, and it's up to each of us to elect a city council that will make it easier for this to happen.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Majuju posted:

their website contains nothing but the most vague, milquetoast statement about "we support housing of all kinds" but they've been humping the "upzone everything everywhere" train for a while now. as you know, it's impossible to have thoughtful, affordable housing without also allowing free reign to land speculators and building colossal empty luxury towers everywhere and turning SROs into chic microlofts, and it's up to each of us to elect a city council that will make it easier for this to happen.

lol yeah I think criticism like this is why they've now pivoted to talking entirely about low rise purpose built rental, because it seems like the sort of thing that's at odds with what Bob Rennie wants but it's still in line with their "more housing at any cost!" vision. They've moved the goalposts of the discussion to be, on their terms, only about this limited view of PBR that they now strongly advocate for, but they never actually say whether or not it would actually be viable for a private developer to build this sort of thing. Of course it probably wouldn't be, but it allows them to hype up more housing while also sounding like they're on the side of people that feel hosed over by big developers.

The most revealing event recently was during the whole Kettle/Boffo thing where that deal between the city and developer fell apart and the AH guys were immediately on the side of the developer and suggesting that the city should have buckled to developer whims because apparently any amount of housing must be built at any cost. Also they've on the recent view cone issue they haven't made a peep against the idea of developers intruding into the view cone, even though you'd think that a group genuinely promoting the idea of upzoning SFH for equity reasons would point out that we don't need to over build a building into the view cone when you have a vast area of SFH you can mildly densify instead.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

PT6A posted:

Who are these parents with a decently-sized inheritance (that they've decided will go to their children), such that it's actually possible to give an advance on it, who are being complete tightwads with it while alive? That makes no sense, unless your kid is a complete fuckup who you hate -- wouldn't you want to see them enjoy some of the money while you're still alive, and help them out to do whatever it is they want to do?

*points at my family* My side of the family is wealthy, my wife's family is extremely wealthy, but they're such tightwads that my 35 year old brother in law missed out on buying real estate within 45 minutes of downtown Vancouver. Rich people love to hoard money - we've been told straight up we have to wait for the will.

It can't be just that I'm an rear end in a top hat since they're treating three other millennial kids the same way.

Part of the reason we're leaving the country is because there's no support for us in Vancouver, despite all of our parents living here. Turn out rich people are jerkasses, who knew.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Unfortunately doesn't say much if they don't specify the type of housing and if it is shared i.e. roommates.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

*points at my family* My side of the family is wealthy, my wife's family is extremely wealthy, but they're such tightwads that my 35 year old brother in law missed out on buying real estate within 45 minutes of downtown Vancouver. Rich people love to hoard money - we've been told straight up we have to wait for the will.

It can't be just that I'm an rear end in a top hat since they're treating three other millennial kids the same way.

Part of the reason we're leaving the country is because there's no support for us in Vancouver, despite all of our parents living here. Turn out rich people are jerkasses, who knew.

Lol, the millennial entitlement is coming from inside the thread!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Buy me Bonestorm a house in Vancouver or go to hell!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NL credit union looking out for the best interests of its customers

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it
Looks like UK Lender Countrywide (lol) is dramatically over-leveraged and will go under without an injection of liquidity from investors, causing a 60% plunge in share prices.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/aug/02/countrywide-shares-plunge-70-after-emergency-cash-call

quote:

Shares in Countrywide have plunged by more than 60% after the struggling estate agent asked investors for 140m of emergency funds to save it from collapsing under the weight of its debt.

Countrywide, which has nearly 10,700 staff and operates under about 50 brand names including Hamptons International and Bairstow Eves, launched the rescue plan after downgrading profit forecasts four times in eight months.

It will raise cash by offering new shares to existing investors but at an 80% discount to their previous value, a markdown that sent the companys stock market value tumbling as much as 70% in early trading.

The fall meant that at one point the UKs largest property services company was valued at less than the 35m average house price on Britains most expensive street, Kensington Palace Gardens in London. Shares closed down nearly 63% at 18.5p.

Like rivals such as Foxtons, which announced that it had sunk to a 2.5m half-year loss earlier this week, Countrywide has suffered from malaise in the property market, particularly in the south-east.

Estate agents have said Brexit-related uncertainty coupled with stamp duty rises on properties above 1m and second homes has brought the housing market in London to a near standstill.

While the number of housing transactions has been in decline, traditional estate agents have also come under mounting pressure from no-frills online agencies.

Alongside its fundraising plan, which will be used to whittle down its 212m debt pile, Countrywide revealed it had fallen 206m into the red during the most recent six-month period. The scale of the loss was largely due to a 211m charge from slashing the value of its assets and brand.

The executive chairman, Peter Long, blamed the companys woes on the completely wrong strategy pursued by the former chief executive Alison Platt, who resigned in January.

Platt sought to run the estate agent like a retailer, bringing its sales and lettings businesses together and concentrating expertise centrally with local branches functioning like shops, a plan that triggered an exodus of middle management.

It completely destroys the business model by saying its a retailer and saying we dont need management expertise locally, said Long. You disempower people, demotivate them and lose key expertise.

He said high debt, racked up during an acquisition spree in 2014 and 2015, was compounded by the perfect storm of a chief executive getting the strategy completely wrong.

Long doubled his salary to 360,000 when he took over day-to-day running of the business from Platt, adding the role to his vice-chairmans seat at travel group Tui and the chairmanship of Royal Mail.

But he insisted he was not overburdened, despite also dealing with the fallout from last months pay revolt at Royal Mail, one of the largest shareholder rebellions in corporate history.

He said Countrywides performance was improving, vowing that a turnaround plan could result in the company making an 80m underlying profit within three years.

In a statement to the stock market, Countrywide said its problems had been exacerbated by a flagging housing market, particularly in London.

The prime central London housing market continues to experience low levels of activity owing to political and economic uncertainty, particularly in relation to stamp duty and Brexit, which is felt more acutely in the capital, it said.

Laith Khalaf, senior analyst at investment adviser Hargreaves Lansdown, said Countrywide had been damaged by its attempt to bring the sales and lettings businesses together under one roof, and by its centralisation programme, which took decisions out of the hands of local managers.

Khalaf added: Meanwhile the entire sector has been going through an existential crisis thanks to digital disruption.

On top of that, Brexit and changes to stamp duty prompted a 22% fall in London property transactions last year, ensuring Countrywide didnt get away with its wayward strategy.

Investors now need to decide if they are throwing good money after bad, though even the best-case scenario is a long road to recovery.

While investors still have to vote on the fundraising plan, it has been underwritten by Barclays and stockbroker Jefferies, which will buy the shares if shareholders decide not to.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

James Baud posted:

Lol, the millennial entitlement is coming from inside the thread!

I bought Vancouver property without help and sold my garbage condo for a 200% profit at the peak of the market this spring. I'm a bit older than what most would call millennial.

Millennials literally do need parents help to live here though. To call those who do need help entitled is victim blaming imo. Vancouver is a hosed up place.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 4, 2018

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Neither a millennial nor entitled, I bought Vancouver property without help and sold my garbage condo for a 200% profit at the peak of the market this spring.

Millennials literally do need parents help to live here though. To call those who do need help entitled is victim blaming imo. Vancouver is a hosed up place.

Strange, I'd swear you just called your and your spouse's familes unsupportive tightwads because they had the nerve not to "help" buy you & the other kids houses in a bubble and had to go so far as to say "wait for the wills" in response to the begging.

Rents are still pretty cheap (if buying was even remotely on the table).

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

NL credit union looking out for the best interests of its customers

For some reason I thought CUs had to comply with the stress test too, but apparently not. Apparently some do voluntarily.

I can't imagine Newfoundland is too risky a market right now. It's extremely, extremely cool right now after going through it's own mini bubble of sorts maybe 3-5+ years ago. Inventory is absolutely absurdly high, and it's pretty easy to get something under $250k. Still, the province has extremely dim short term and long term economic prospects.

Also my wife and I have an accepted offer on a place in Victoria right now. Market seems cool-ish right now, although if I had waited longer I might have found something for an even better price. Pretty comfortable with what we got for the price though.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Letting your kid struggle to get by while you have literally tens of millions of dollars in assets makes you a tightwad, yes. Asking your millionaire parents for help in Vancouver - the ones who have more money than they could ever spend for the same reason that you are struggling, based solely on date of birth - does not make you entitled. Boomer parents helping their kids in Vancouver is almost mandatory, and the ones who don't do it are assholes.

And no, renting is not cheap. My mortgage was $750 per month in an area that now rents for three times that. Airbnb destroyed the renting alternative.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

And no, renting is not cheap. My mortgage was $750 per month in an area that now rents for three times that. Airbnb destroyed the renting alternative.

Blackstone is much more responsible for the rise in rents than Airbnb.

edit: with the qualification that this is true for the US rental market, maybe not true for Vancouver, IDK

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Letting your kid struggle to get by while you have literally tens of millions of dollars in assets makes you a tightwad, yes. Asking your millionaire parents for help in Vancouver - the ones who have more money than they could ever spend for the same reason that you are struggling, based solely on date of birth - does not make you entitled. Boomer parents helping their kids in Vancouver is almost mandatory, and the ones who don't do it are assholes.

People can be tightwads and also people can be entitled. It isn't always one or the other, in the end through either hard work or sheer luck they have accumulated a lot of money and it is totally up to them how they want to spend it. Does it make them lovely? Maybe, yeah. Does it mean you deserve any of it for winning the birth roulette? No.

Also it's hard to feel sympathy when you yourself won out over everyone younger than you. Your mortgage was peanuts, so to both have a mortgage so low, sell a condo for 200% AND complain you're not getting help from loaded relatives isn't painting a great picture. I don't know if a mortgage of $750/mo classifies as a "kid struggling to get by".

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

You can rent a $3M house for 5500/mo, which is way way cheaper than the mortgage on such a place. At least in some cases renting is still way cheaper than owning.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Evis posted:

You can rent a $3M house for 5500/mo, which is way way cheaper than the mortgage on such a place. At least in some cases renting is still way cheaper than owning.

i just rented a place in olympic village for way less than what an interest only loan would cost me on the place. i dunno who's buying these places

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich

the talent deficit posted:

i just rented a place in olympic village for way less than what an interest only loan would cost me on the place. i dunno who's buying these places

i just want you to know that some enormous whale woman bought a place in your old building, directly in my view line and she sits around naked at night watching netflix and eating (of course)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Living the dream

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
'Stuggle to get by' lol

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Dinosaurtrain posted:

i just want you to know that some enormous whale woman bought a place in your old building, directly in my view line and she sits around naked at night watching netflix and eating (of course)

hahahaha. this is literally the exact same floorplan i had in the building except i paid half what they're asking now: https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/apa/d/one-bedroom-condo-with-access/6662309269.html

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 11, 2018

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Also it's hard to feel sympathy when you yourself won out over everyone younger than you. Your mortgage was peanuts, so to both have a mortgage so low, sell a condo for 200% AND complain you're not getting help from loaded relatives isn't painting a great picture.

I admit I benefitted from being just old enough to buy the worst condo in an industrial area that I luckily guessed was about to revitalize. I'm also lucky that I suckered a girl into marrying me, and our combined incomes ($12 an hour each at the time) were enough to buy a 40 year old unrenovated asbestos-riddled, aluminum-wired woodframe ground floor unit on a busy street for $230k after selling our car and deciding to not have kids. And I admit I have had it easier than a lot of people, and will have a ridiculously comfortable early retirement. But you'll never get me to agree that multi-millionaire parents shouldn't help their kids in Vancouver, and I'm surprised several goons suddenly have this bootstraps attitude. I'm not asking for sympathy, just admission that Vancouver is very abnormal and parental help is needed - and, more importantly, easily given - here.

Our parents will never have grandchildren due to the decisions they made. That's their right, but we had to make decisions too based on our meager blue collar incomes - neither of us could afford to go to university either. Again, not asking for sympathy, just trying to paint a more accurate picture of the consequences of what - in my opinion - should be an obvious, compassionate thing to spend a small fraction of your millions on. We don't "deserve" it, but most people want their kids to have as good a life as they can provide.

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
if only there was some kind of deduction or tariff that could be applied to the transfer of wealth between generations so that inequality could be minimized and capital could be redistributed

oh well

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Buy me a house! Buy me a house! Buy me a house!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Took two nights in my new temporary place in Vancouver proper before someone broke into my car. Noice.

*~*~*~Best Place on Earth~*~*~*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/yvrhousing/status/1025986840736673792?s=21

This guy had suddenly become very concerned about racism