Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

drrockso20 posted:

That channel is really great by the way

Never trust a channel owned by Big Nutmeg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

steinrokkan posted:

Conversely, always trust a channel owned by Big-nut Meg.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Wait, wait, back to the Berlin supplies. What in the world can you do with 19 live cattle? All the other items are for like a hundred thousand people, over a six month period. Was this so that for just one day, everyone could have fresh meat?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Domus posted:

Wait, wait, back to the Berlin supplies. What in the world can you do with 19 live cattle? All the other items are for like a hundred thousand people, over a six month period. Was this so that for just one day, everyone could have fresh meat?

Cows were also targeted by the nazis

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Milk comes from cows.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
and boobies

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

big dyke energy posted:

Milk comes from cows.

milk is stored in the females balls

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

big dyke energy posted:

Milk comes from cows.

What?!

Ptoo, ptooie!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

big dyke energy posted:

Milk comes from cows.

19 cows aren't going to feed Berlin

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If there is one thing you want in a siege, it’s something that spoils real quick.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

CharlestheHammer posted:

If there is one thing you want in a siege, it’s something that spoils real quick.

Cows live for awhile man

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

verbal enema posted:

Cows live for awhile man

cows are basically land sharks my dude. theyre smooth as hell and theyll die and rot if not in constant movement

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Biplane posted:

cows are basically land sharks my dude. theyre smooth as hell and theyll die and rot if not in constant movement

Spin em around a bunch

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Domus posted:

I'm afraid that's... Top Secret! only.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

verbal enema posted:

Cows live for awhile man

Those cows are gonna die real quick if your trying to feed a city with their milk every day.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I dunno, 400 liters of milk sounds enough for 2 million people

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
They probably had powdered milk stocked but wanted to have fresh milk for children or the ill or anyone else who needs full fat milk. I have not looked into this at all I'm just guessing.

Also you can eat the cows when they don't give more milk.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Because eating 19 cows means much more of an impact for 2 million people...

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Ok, they were total fuckin idiots keeping the cows. What do you want me to say.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

big dyke energy posted:

Ok, they were total fuckin idiots keeping the cows. What do you want me to say.

Pretty much that

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zopotantor posted:

They just added plaster, alum or worse.

In 1858 William "Humbug Billy" Hardaker were selling candy which he got from Joseph Neal. Usually Neal just added plaster to substitute sugar but one day he sent his assistant William Goddard to get the supplies. He mistakenly picked up arsenic instead. Everyone who was involved in making the candy got sick but they sold it anyway which resulted in the death of 21 people while 200 got severely ill.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Those cows are gonna die real quick if your trying to feed a city with their milk every day.

That joke about the automatic milking machine except this time it's actually used correctly

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

steinrokkan posted:

Not his fault that Nutmeg was ridiculously popular back then

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Yeah he's one of the very few "historical" re-enactors who not only acknowledges that slavery existed at the time but goes out of his way to include the slave experiences into his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwkRWIwZ43A

god some of the comments on the facebook feed and that video are so disgusting

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Maybe it was like a Noah's Ark thing and they wanted to keep them just in case all the outside cows die and they needed to breed more. Cows don't eat mustard so they probably weren't too worried about them eating too much food

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The cows were clandestinely entered into the list by the KGB and served as Soviet spies at West Berlin‘s top secret strategic mustard-and-cigars reserve, duh

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

drrockso20 posted:

Not his fault that Nutmeg was ridiculously popular back then

The history of nutmeg itself is also fascinating. For example, the Dutch colony that became New York (and a few other states) was ceded to Britain as part of a treaty that ceded Run in the Banda Islands to the Netherlands, giving them a monopoly on nutmeg.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Zopotantor posted:

The history of nutmeg itself is also fascinating. For example, the Dutch colony that became New York (and a few other states) was ceded to Britain as part of a treaty that ceded Run in the Banda Islands to the Netherlands, giving them a monopoly on nutmeg.

As is mentioned on the wikipedia page, the Dutch gained that monopoly on Nutmeg by murdering pretty much the entire population of the Banda Islands and then repopulating the islands with slave labourers, because it was more profitable to control the island than to just keep trading with the Bandanese.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Red Bones posted:

As is mentioned on the wikipedia page, the Dutch gained that monopoly on Nutmeg by murdering pretty much the entire population of the Banda Islands and then repopulating the islands with slave labourers, because it was more profitable to control the island than to just keep trading with the Bandanese.

Yeah, the Dutch were not always the nice people that they are regarded as nowadays. And having had Dutch roommates, I have to say they can still be pretty ...uncivil...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Red Bones posted:

murdering pretty much the entire population of the Banda Islands country and then repopulating the islands country with slave labourers, because it was more profitable to control the island country than to just keep trading with the Bandanese indigenous population.
Western history summed up.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Kanine posted:

god some of the comments on the facebook feed and that video are so disgusting

Tell me about it.

Uh, history fact... Do you know how lots of historical documents talk about baker's who cheated their customers by cutting their bread with plaster/other inedible powders? Turns out, most of them were just heresay. How do we know? People tried to bake bread made to the specifications indicated and the loaves just fell to pieces.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How do we know the recipes?

Did the bakers give false confessions or what?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Cows gave about 6-7 gallons of milk a day back then (modern cows give more) . 19 cows will give you enough milk for about 912 glasses of milk every day. If you're just trying to provide for nutritionally deficient and Ill children or elderly, that's plenty, and probably worthwhile.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Less than a 1000 definitely isn’t worth the effort. Hell I thought it was dumb and assumed more.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fun Fact: Nürnberg had a safran-schau (saffron inspector) because faking saffron was so rampant. In 1444 Jobst Findeker was burned at the stake for selling fake saffron

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Less than a 1000 definitely isn’t worth the effort. Hell I thought it was dumb and assumed more.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Weren't there historically some pretty severe penalties for shorting the customers on bread? That's why a dozen donuts, if not packed flat in a rectangular tray/box, is still thirteen. Because the Romans would execute a baker for selling light or aldulterated loaves, so it became customary to throw in an extra one on every order just to make sure you were within the law.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Samovar posted:

Tell me about it.

Uh, history fact... Do you know how lots of historical documents talk about baker's who cheated their customers by cutting their bread with plaster/other inedible powders? Turns out, most of them were just heresay. How do we know? People tried to bake bread made to the specifications indicated and the loaves just fell to pieces.

A lot of stuff like that was untruth told about neighboring countries or societies you didn't like for some reason or another. Putting plaster in the bread, being neck deep in witches, primae noctis...basically none of it was ever true but it was used as a reason to dislike those people.

Leocadia
Dec 26, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A lot of stuff like that was untruth told about neighboring countries or societies you didn't like for some reason or another. Putting plaster in the bread, being neck deep in witches, primae noctis...basically none of it was ever true but it was used as a reason to dislike those people.

This is usually true, but in the 14th century England formed two separate bakers' guilds; one for white bread and one for brown. The bakers' assizes would routinely weigh and test both the loaves and the flour to ensure purity and weight.

The competing guilds meant that punishments were extremely harsh, and a baker had to chose between the brown guild - cheap product for a wide cross section of the population, or white for limited, upper class customers and the ability to make communion wafers for the church.

Extreme competition drove down price, and caused some bakers to adulterate their product - usually brown bakers because they attracted a much lower price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

"We would need at 10 times as many cows at this to meet the requirement!"

"Could we just keep as many as we can so we can at least can meet some of the requirement and just triage who gets the milk?"

"No that's stupid. Better to just not have any."