Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
You should create a presentation analyzing tickets for QA and include a word cloud to help everybody deduce the main topics of interest in them. I'm just sayin'. For QA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Apparently a few tens of thousands of dollars of computer equipment was delivered to the lab today and no one seems to know who the gently caress ordered it. This should be fun to watch....

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Apparently a few tens of thousands of dollars of computer equipment was delivered to the lab today and no one seems to know who the gently caress ordered it. This should be fun to watch....

:getin:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Friday afternoon, 12 outstanding PR's to merge in a repo and a half-hour deploy cycle for each because our security team insisted that every build run multiple linters and a dependency vulnerability analysis.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

baquerd posted:

Friday afternoon, 12 outstanding PR's to merge in a repo and a half-hour deploy cycle for each because our security team insisted that every build run multiple linters and a dependency vulnerability analysis.

Merge on Monday, problem solved.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Don’t wait til Friday to submit prs?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Haha good one haha the sprint ends on Friday and the release is on Monday haha when are you supposed to submit PR's? haha

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

baquerd posted:

Manually cancel the first eleven deploy jobs?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

smackfu posted:

Don’t wait til Friday to submit prs?

One week sprints. All the earlier PRs are merged, not a terrible burn down, but when you have multiple dev teams active on the same repo stuff gets backed up with a serial deploy pipeline.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Run analysis on the last submitted commit. If there's a problem, bisect until you find the culprit and toss it back. Have enough dependency analysis that commits depending on failing ones also get chucked out.

Like is the site actually cycling through all 12 versions for the length of the testing? Is that a necessary part of this?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JawnV6 posted:

Run analysis on the last submitted commit. If there's a problem, bisect until you find the culprit and toss it back. Have enough dependency analysis that commits depending on failing ones also get chucked out.

Like is the site actually cycling through all 12 versions for the length of the testing? Is that a necessary part of this?

Each PR is fine and passes unit and integration tests. They are probably all fine minus some merge conflicts. The bottleneck is that only one PR goes to deployment and deployment testing at a time, and this process includes merging to master and lengthy tests mandated outside the dev team.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

baquerd posted:

Each PR is fine and passes unit and integration tests. They are probably all fine minus some merge conflicts. The bottleneck is that only one PR goes to deployment and deployment testing at a time, and this process includes merging to master and lengthy tests mandated outside the dev team.

Prior to merging to master, merge them all onto a single branch ("deploy") and handle it upstream of the crazy testing bottleneck?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

vonnegutt posted:

Prior to merging to master, merge them all onto a single branch ("deploy") and handle it upstream of the crazy testing bottleneck?

Or use The Cloud (or your virtualization platform of choice) to spin up as many ephemeral environments as needed so you can continue to test in parallel.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

vonnegutt posted:

That could be an interesting solution. Definitely not the accepted CI/CD path we've got so there's bound to be some pushback, and there would need to be a build cop person doing the manual merges, but it could work.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

baquerd posted:

That could be an interesting solution. Definitely not the accepted CI/CD path we've got so there's bound to be some pushback, and there would need to be a build cop person doing the manual merges, but it could work.

sounds like you need a dirty build cop

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Or use The Cloud (or your virtualization platform of choice) to spin up as many ephemeral environments as needed so you can continue to test in parallel.

Bonus if you start doing Factorial Merging as well.

Fire off branch A B C D E F G H I J builds
Then AB AC AD AE AF AG AH AI AJ builds so if A and X succeed you can merge that combined branch
then ABC ACD...

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/stefanbc/status/1024915619131609088

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Kill all nerds and the internet

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

CPColin posted:

Haha good one haha the sprint ends on Friday and the release is on Monday haha when are you supposed to submit PR's? haha
this is why I think sprints are a stupid workflow process

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

baquerd posted:

Okay, stupid question here. How long would you expect the deploy cycle to be in a normal situation, and does that include testing and db schema deployment? Not trying to be snarky, just trying to figure out how bad my previous experiences have been, because they’re generally worse than that.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Leck posted:

Okay, stupid question here. How long would you expect the deploy cycle to be in a normal situation, and does that include testing and db schema deployment? Not trying to be snarky, just trying to figure out how bad my previous experiences have been, because they’re generally worse than that.

I'm pretty happy with around 15 minutes. Prior to the new security scans effectively doubling our deploy time, we were pretty much at that point. That includes unit tests (sub minute), tests with embedded resources and mocked services (1-2 minutes), actual build and containerization (1-2 minutes), db updates (1 minute, cql updates are really fast), instance spin up and service registration (5-10 minutes), and deployment tests integrating with other live systems in the staging/preprod environment (3-4 minutes).

I'm not saying that this is achievable for every project or every situation, but for me, prioritizing fast iteration at all levels of the SDLC is super important.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

baquerd posted:

I'm pretty happy with around 15 minutes. Prior to the new security scans effectively doubling our deploy time, we were pretty much at that point. That includes unit tests (sub minute), tests with embedded resources and mocked services (1-2 minutes), actual build and containerization (1-2 minutes), db updates (1 minute, cql updates are really fast), instance spin up and service registration (5-10 minutes), and deployment tests integrating with other live systems in the staging/preprod environment (3-4 minutes).

I'm not saying that this is achievable for every project or every situation, but for me, prioritizing fast iteration at all levels of the SDLC is super important.

In an ideal world where does security live in that process?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blinkz0rz posted:

In an ideal world where does security live in that process?

I'd be interested in seeing once a day scans. Some dependency has a new security vulnerability? OK, need to fix that, but that shouldn't hold up merges, it's not like the stuff already out there isn't vulnerable as well (unless a new dep was just added with security issues). Also, some of the "security" stuff is pretty out there, like failing builds on unused imports.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

baquerd posted:

I'd be interested in seeing once a day scans. Some dependency has a new security vulnerability? OK, need to fix that, but that shouldn't hold up merges, it's not like the stuff already out there isn't vulnerable as well (unless a new dep was just added with security issues). Also, some of the "security" stuff is pretty out there, like failing builds on unused imports.

Yeah failing on unused imports is kind of ridiculous. Your regular linting task should pick that stuff up anyway.

But vulnerable deps don't always mean vulnerable code and vice versa. It's very easy to introduce security issues in first party code that should be scanned for in some way.

I'm just not sure what the right way is. Maybe when you open a PR?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

baquerd posted:

oh, that's easy. don't check anything in. if you just don't check anything in (don't actually say you're doing nothing, just keep saying things like "trying to make fixes to accommodate security team), you can wait for people to realize that there's no product and make the logical connection "why are we paying a security team if there's no product"?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Chaff Bugs: Deterring Attackers by Making Software Buggier

quote:

Sophisticated attackers find bugs in software, evaluate their exploitability, and then create and launch exploits for bugs found to be exploitable. Most efforts to secure software attempt either to eliminate bugs or to add mitigations that make exploitation more difficult. In this paper, we introduce a new defensive technique called chaff bugs, which instead target the bug discovery and exploit creation stages of this process. Rather than eliminating bugs, we instead add large numbers of bugs that are provably (but not obviously) non-exploitable. Attackers who attempt to find and exploit bugs in software will, with high probability, find an intentionally placed non-exploitable bug and waste precious resources in trying to build a working exploit. We develop two strategies for ensuring non-exploitability and use them to automatically add thousands of non-exploitable bugs to real-world software such as nginx and libFLAC; we show that the functionality of the software is not harmed and demonstrate that our bugs look exploitable to current triage tools. We believe that chaff bugs can serve as an effective deterrent against both human attackers and automated Cyber Reasoning Systems (CRSes).

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

This is loving incredible and I'm adding the paper to read at work/troll coworkers with.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

This is loving incredible and I'm adding the paper to read at work/troll coworkers with.

I already slacked mine with the "hey we already do this" joke.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

We work around long security scans by using the multi-branche pipeline thing in Jenkins. Every time I push a feature branch, all tests including sonar and security checks are done on the branch, giving me the certainty that by the time I want to deploy to prod, there will be no nasty delays thanks to CLM or anything.
Security scans failing on unused imports is stupid.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

One of the testers on my team is really starting to try my patience. I'm assuming the issues stem from personality flaws in the first place but they've developed a real "Me vs Them" attitude to being a tester that means when they find a bug in a feature it's time to go find the dev that wrote the feature and talk about how there's a bug in it for 10 minutes while being entirely unable to provide any information on how it was caused, which forces my devs to have to get up and go round to watch them recreate the bug, and then take over the machine to look at the logs/traceback because no matter how many times I explain to the tester where to look all the evidence they can provide is a screenshot of the error in question.

To make matters worse they'll dig their heels in and refuse to budge once they've settled on an idea.

Tester :downs:: I've found a bug in ticket-01234
Me: What happens?
Tester :downs:: <describes something that isn't a bug>
Me: That's not a bug, do this thing instead
Tester :downs:: I'm assigning this ticket back to development because of the bug
Me: Again, it's not a bug you're doing that in the wrong place, read the instructions in the ticket
Tester :downs:: Well it's not working the way I expected it to, so I'm assigning it back to development
Me: :commissar:

I've taken them aside for a private chat and that helped for about a week. I've spoken to the PM and voiced my concerns. At this point I'm looking to get them moved off the team because they're slowing everything down so much. God what I wouldn't give for an experienced tester with some experience in automation at this point.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

baquerd posted:

unused imports.

Ah, I see you too have faced my greatest nemesis, the forgotten import from java.util that you used to test something out.

NtotheTC posted:

I've taken them aside for a private chat and that helped for about a week. I've spoken to the PM and voiced my concerns. At this point I'm looking to get them moved off the team because they're slowing everything down so much. God what I wouldn't give for an experienced tester with some experience in automation at this point.

Getting QA testers who can actually engage their brain is a tremendous challenge and by the time they get competent with your stuff they're usually ready to move on to something more prestigious (and higher paying). I feel your pain.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Volmarias posted:

Getting QA testers who can actually engage their brain is a tremendous challenge and by the time they get competent with your stuff they're usually ready to move on to something more prestigious (and higher paying). I feel your pain.
Testing is a lovely job that is only done long-term by masochists and/or people without any other options. Having been in testing for over 10 years before escaping in disgust makes me think I have a right to say that.
But in general, a tester is someone who has no other options or ambition so the exchange sounds accurate.
Another thing to remember is that many testers are frustrated being stuck in this job and consider developers assholes who release buggy code (why else would they be needed) so they behave like idiots. The whole reason we have tester vs developers anyway is because management is not allowing developers for enough time and direction to deliver proper quality code so instead of altering their own behavior, management hires testers as a stop-gap.
Another reason could be complex, integrated systems where no-one can have insight into all the technical implications but then there are many other problems as well.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

NtotheTC posted:

One of the testers on my team is really starting to try my patience. I'm assuming the issues stem from personality flaws in the first place but they've developed a real "Me vs Them" attitude to being a tester that means when they find a bug in a feature it's time to go find the dev that wrote the feature and talk about how there's a bug in it for 10 minutes while being entirely unable to provide any information on how it was caused, which forces my devs to have to get up and go round to watch them recreate the bug, and then take over the machine to look at the logs/traceback because no matter how many times I explain to the tester where to look all the evidence they can provide is a screenshot of the error in question.

To make matters worse they'll dig their heels in and refuse to budge once they've settled on an idea.

Tester :downs:: I've found a bug in ticket-01234
Me: What happens?
Tester :downs:: <describes something that isn't a bug>
Me: That's not a bug, do this thing instead
Tester :downs:: I'm assigning this ticket back to development because of the bug
Me: Again, it's not a bug you're doing that in the wrong place, read the instructions in the ticket
Tester :downs:: Well it's not working the way I expected it to, so I'm assigning it back to development
Me: :commissar:

Generally what I'll do is:
a) Don't assign the tester's bugs directly to your team and waste their time. If a bug doesn't have solid repro steps, on basis of severity
1) If there is nothing at all the work with, just kick it back to the tester with 'can't reproduce. please provide reproduction steps'.
2) If the repro steps are there but either lovely or don't work, give an example set of repro steps that follow the directions as given but don't reproduce the result. Don't try to test around, you don't have time.
3) Once you've confirmed you can reproduce the bug - update the bug with non-moronic steps, and give it to your team.

Another thing you can do is teach the tester how to use tools other than screenshots. Don't make the assumption that stuff like repro steps, etc. is explained by their department at all - a lot of these people are liberal arts majors or recent college grads that were literally hired off the street by some contracting company making fifteen bucks an hour, it's entirely possible that they were given zero training. You should explain what you want to see in a bug if you want good results.

1) If it's a webapp, maybe it'd a be a good idea to capture fiddler logs.
2) Does your product have logging? Where are the log files created? If you see a problem in X area, where should you get the logs? What would the developers be looking for in the log file?
3) How is your product configured? What configuration settings are pertinent to your product?
4) Maybe try getting a video of the bug with camtasia studio... (this is the easiest way to improve the quality of a QA defect report)

Another thing you can do to get the tester on your side is to just show them how to build the product and where the source code is and walk through how to debug and how to get stack traces etc. I would only do this if the tester is becoming a problem because the smart, motivated ones will probably just leave and become developers, the slackers will just be content to churn out one or two well-researched bugs a day with great stack traces that are easy to fix, but can no longer be trusted to click all the buttons like a superstitious person, while the stupid ones will get lost and cowed and lose their self-confidence (but at the same time the Holy Knight of Quality Assurance escutcheon might lower just a touch, you can always dream.)

Trying to teach people things generally gets them on your side. If you go into the interaction just trying to be nice and polite and soft serving everything, they'll think you're being condescending and blow up the bug tracker.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Volmarias posted:

Ah, I see you too have faced my greatest nemesis, the forgotten import from java.util that you used to test something out.
The nemesis whose only weakness is the "Optimize imports before committing" checkbox in IntelliJ!

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

Sagacity posted:

The nemesis whose only weakness is the "Optimize imports before committing" checkbox in IntelliJ!

And then I hate you for "optimizing" away System.Linq and System.Collections.Generic, because the functionality is not used yet in the new class (but will be as soon as the actual implementation starts)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Turambar posted:

And then I hate you for "optimizing" away System.Linq and System.Collections.Generic, because the functionality is not used yet in the new class (but will be as soon as the actual implementation starts)

Why would you ever set up imports before writing the code? Everything you need gets imported automatically...

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Taffer posted:

Why would you ever set up imports before writing the code? Everything you need gets imported automatically...

Some people use vscode or notepad to write java applications. Optimizing imports is a way to find out who they are so you never have to be in the same team to long.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

:words: be nice to testers

however teaching them to follow instructions might be a leap.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hello thread, I need to cry into the void.

2 months ago I took a job at a relatively large and stable startup, after working at a very small and unstable startup. I took the job almost entirely because the founders and CTO who interviewed me seemed really accommodating and relaxed and that's something I was really looking for at the time. Things start out, everything seems cool. The team is a little older than I'm used to (30s-50s, I'm late twenties) which was a slight adjustment, but everyone was super nice and helpful, which was a good change for me. I work on a couple tech demos and familiarize myself with the tech stack.

About a month ago, I hear about a big event coming up, seems like everyone's projects are focused all on that. I get put on an app project with another guy, just doing some refactoring and polishing etc to get out ready for said event, all good. Then that Thursday, at 4pm, I get told I need to demo one of my tech demos to a potential client, in 30 minutes. Okay. Details of our tech aside, I find out the scenario for my demo was completely altered and I can't run it. My boss is pissed (despite me having no control over this), and demands I come out of town in 2 days where they're showing my demo, and hadn't thought to tell me. Hooray. I despise traveling for work, but the demo goes fine.

3 weeks ago the PM tells me he's going to move me to another task, a new feature needs to be developed in a separate app, and ready before the event. I tell him that's pretty tight time-wise but I can probably get a rough version done at least. He understands, so I'm feeling comfortable.

2 weeks ago on Monday (also 2 weeks before the event), an email goes out to everyone from our administrator telling them that it's time to buy your plane tickets for the big event! Attached was a schedule for everyone. My name was on that list. Oh. I'm supposed to go halfway across the country for 7 full days and no one thought to mention that to me. Ok.

The next day, Tuesday, my boss tells me he wants my initial tech demo to become a full product to be shown at the event. At this point there is 8.5 business days remaining. I initially tell him that's impossible, but he (and and my other boss) lay on pressure super thick. Like brutally bad. Emotional manipulation, blaming me for not having done this already (no one told me it needed to be) asking me what else I had been working on (the things that they and the PM had told me to focus on), so like the fucker I am, I cave. I give lots of caveats and maybes but I tell them I can get them something in time.

So I start working on it. I frantically pick the brains of my (also overworked) coworkers to figure out how it can be done. Immediately I find out there are some big roadblocks. Awesome. But I keep working anyway because I have a massively overdeveloped sense of responsibility and never want to disappoint people.

Thursday, i find out from the same boss that the parameters of my tech-demo-turned-product have completely changed, and he never thought to mention it or consult with me. Of course I instantly tell him that this is a big problem and that will probably derail everything I'm doing. He gives me a "this has to get done" and I get told we won't be able to get details on what's changed until Monday (it involves outside people). At this point, my boss tells me I like to focus on the negatives, so how badly will this REALLY affect me (loving what)

Monday comes, he wanted me to work on this all weekend but I didn't because I don't like to ruin my life for other people's issues. I find out the details on what's changed, I tell him I can probably account for them, but it'll take all my time, e.g. tech demo stays as is. He seems very upset but sayas okay. So I spend the entire week working on that. During this entire period he's constantly asking me how close I am, pressuring me to spend more time on it and work nights, through the weekend, etc

It's Sunday night and I leave for Event in a few hours. My boss kept texting me for updates, I told him exactly as expected: I accounted for the changes and that's all there was time for. No new features. Immediately I get a torrent of texts, "why didn't you finish it", "we have to get this done", "there are no excuses on this" (that's verbatim), "I need a full update tonight".

I'm so loving stressed, I barely slept all week from the pressure, I want desperately to quit but I'm about to move and worried about stability. I work in a small job market and this company and its founders are very prominent, I'm terrified of them spreading bad words about me because due to their stature they'll almost certainly be believed. Someone help me :(

Holy poo poo that post got long. Tl;dr I want to die

Taffer fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2nd Rate Poster
Mar 25, 2004

i started a joke
gently caress them, they can deal. There's no shortage of Dev jobs out there.

If your boss gave a gently caress he'd be pushing back to whatever idiot committed to last minute demos. And If this is actually a company do or die demo and just lumped all the work on the new guy without nailing down scope then he is an even bigger idiot.