Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

fits my needs posted:

wtf

(crosspostin)

yes ben this cartoon is racism

also fits my needs get out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jonny 290 posted:

twitter should bill $0.01 per rt/reply to delete a tweet

set a reasonable limit for it to kick in at like 10k followers or something and hell yes

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

hmm yes, as always, the problem isn't money its just there aren't enough apps yet

homelessness was an unsolvable problem until stebe gifted us the iphone

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Kennedy notes that the cost of trucking to Berkeley from the port of Oakland was more expensive than the cost of shipping from Hong Kong.

lol

well... uh... yeah? fuel cost to move it across the ocean is nothing and there is almost zero labor costs last mile delivery is always expensive

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Rex-Goliath posted:

set a reasonable limit for it to kick in at like 10k followers or something and hell yes

i like the checkmark idea for that

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

well... uh... yeah? fuel cost to move it across the ocean is nothing and there is almost zero labor costs last mile delivery is always expensive

trans-oceanic shipping creates more co2 than all the cars in the entire world tho

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

trans-oceanic shipping creates more co2 than all the cars in the entire world tho

moves like 100 times the stuff tho

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2018/07/27/633171643/uber-for-poop-aims-to-break-up-senegals-septic-cartel

'Uber For Poop' Aims To Break Up Senegal's Toilet Cartel

quote:

If you want to hire a toilet sucker, you have to go to a parking lot behind Dakar's national football stadium, where all the drivers are just hanging out next to their idle trucks. When one of them gives you a price, you cannot walk around and try and get a better deal from the others.

Even though they're separate businesses, they have decided as an association not to compete and, instead, to keep prices high — usually $40-$60 a pop depending on the size of the tank — twice as high as paying Father Shovel to dig out the tank. For many people in Dakar, $50 can be a month's wages.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

fits my needs posted:

wtf

(crosspostin)

why is the dog shouting correct words drawn to look angry??? ben come on here

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

wait that widening project didn't work? interesting.......................
its because the ocean is so wide

if highway were ocean-wide, no problems!!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I think we already have an app for toilet suckers in the US, it's called Grindr?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

fishmech posted:

moves like 100 times the stuff tho

yeah ships are way way more efficient per ton mile

now when it comes to SOx emissions though

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Schadenboner posted:

I think we already have an app for toilet suckers in the US, it's called AngelList?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

are you sure that's CO2, because last time i looked into this i thought it was CO2 as well but it turned out their CO2 emissions weren't higher than cars but their sulphur dioxide and other pollutant emissions were way way worse, and they were making more SO2 than every road vehicle combined or something

e: this paper says international shipping is only 3% of CO2 emissions, iirc cars are like 20%

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 3, 2018

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it also helps people get to work on time, so its impossible to say if its good or bad

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah big ships basically burn poo poo leftover from the refinery that's just liquid enough to inject it in to the pistons. Extremely foul poo poo with no emissions controls

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
"co2 or co2 equivalent in other greenhouse gasses" before we start arguin'

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Yeah big ships basically burn poo poo leftover from the refinery that's just liquid enough to inject it in to the pistons. Extremely foul poo poo with no emissions controls

ah, that makes sense. you’d think more emissions=more fuel burnt=more expensive, but if it’s cheap stuff to begin with that doesn’t have another use, then i guess it would be cheaper than better fuels.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

ah, that makes sense. you’d think more emissions=more fuel burnt=more expensive, but if it’s cheap stuff to begin with that doesn’t have another use, then i guess it would be cheaper than better fuels.

Fueling the YOSboat with Beep posts.

:sureboat:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
doing my part. :patriot:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
on navy ships we burned jet fuel (because the engines are gas turbines)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

what kind of ship(s)? a friend of mine was on an ASW fast frigate for a while.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Is hate speech wrong regardless of who it targets? If not, why? Asking for a friend.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Your question incorrectly implies that it was hate speech in the first place.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

pseudorandom name posted:

Your question incorrectly implies that it was hate speech in the first place.

True. Being PyPy is not a protected category so it's not hate speech to say "PyPy is a bad poster who should not post". Hth?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

noone should ever post but we do anyway

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I hate myself plenty. I'm just asking in general, not a specific situation.

Rephrase: When is it okay to use hate speech?

PyPy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 3, 2018

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
when the recipient objectively deserves it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I guess draw us a hypothetical (as close to reality as you feel comfortable doing)?

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Hmm. Personally I'm not comfortable using hate speech about something a person has no control over. You can hate someone for being a terrible person and doing terrible things, but not because of their sexuality, race, mental faculties, etc. Like I'm okay saying Elon Musk is a shitbag, but not saying all persons with X skin color are shitbags.

PyPy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 3, 2018

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Elon Musk is a white south African shitbag

feels good man

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Use whatever rhetorical tools you want to advance your cause.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

stop making fun of turmp for being stupid guys he cant help it

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I have no cause.....does that make me the shitbag?

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

Trabisnikof posted:

stop making fun of turmp for being stupid guys he cant help it

Hmm. Good counterpoint lol. He's a idiot.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
racism is totally okay if you were 'raised that way' c/d?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PyPy posted:

Hmm. Good counterpoint lol. He's a idiot.

thats why it always has to do with power. if trump was just some helpless smuck who had never hurt anyone it would be weirder to mock his stupidity.

but hes our racist large president so its funny

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Thanks, that makes sense.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Full disclosure, I'm white male and I don't know if I should be anything other than a passive observer at this point. I don't support maga chuds but I also feel unwelcome on the other side.

e: but then I also feel that remaining neutral is bad. I don't want to be.

PyPy fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Trabisnikof posted:

thats why it always has to do with power. if trump was just some helpless smuck who had never hurt anyone it would be weirder to mock his stupidity.

but hes our racist large president so its funny

he's also got dumb hair and a gross mouth and beady little pig eyes