Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, other sites like 411 definitely reported it that way but the actual text is:

quote:

Aleister Black is out of action due to an injury that required surgery after he was crotched by Tommaso Ciampa at the house show in Las Vegas this past Saturday night. We don't have a recuperation time yet but the Takeover show would at least on paper seem awfully quick. We were only told that he would be okay but it was quite scary when it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sounds like he probably ruptured a testicle or something.

They should just add Cole to the main if Ricochet can’t go and do an Ohno-Lee match to showcase Keith Lee.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Wait Ciampa lowblowed him and actually injured Black's groin. Man that is some freak injury poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

"Crotched" is when they get tripped on the top rope.

Or slammed down that way on purpose on the ropes.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I think it was Darren Young who told a story about never learning how to actually get crotched and just winging it, and then pissing blood for about a week.

So basically I feel real bad for Aleister.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
excited for black to get called up and feud with nakamura

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

So Ciampa can't job and they don't want Gargano-Ciampa again so soon. It would seem too hasty to heat someone up to fill Black's spot for Triple Threat...couldn't they just take this match off the card and elevate any other match for the main event?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

TV Zombie posted:

So Ciampa can't job and they don't want Gargano-Ciampa again so soon. It would seem too hasty to heat someone up to fill Black's spot for Triple Threat...couldn't they just take this match off the card and elevate any other match for the main event?

Taking the NXT champion off the card is a non-starter. The other issue is that every episode of NXT between now and TakeOver is in the can; if you just wipe out the triple threat you have to edit/delete every segment in those shows that references it.

If I had to guess I'd say they probably do a #1 contender's match at TakeOver where Ciampa interferes to keep Gargano from winning, and then Gargano runs in on the main event for the gently caress finish.
If Ricochet can't go I would expect Cole to be the opponent in these matches, considering that between the NorthAm title, the backburnered Ricochet feud and the tag team title scene it'd be easy to completely ignore TUE's involvement until it became relevant to put somebody in TUE back in the NXT title picture.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Just do what happened with TLC, put Kurt Angle in.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

John Cena should be NXT champion

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Does Cena still do his monthly $500 ring gear scholarship award for the PC

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

oldskool posted:

Taking the NXT champion off the card is a non-starter. The other issue is that every episode of NXT between now and TakeOver is in the can; if you just wipe out the triple threat you have to edit/delete every segment in those shows that references it.

If I had to guess I'd say they probably do a #1 contender's match at TakeOver where Ciampa interferes to keep Gargano from winning, and then Gargano runs in on the main event for the gently caress finish.
If Ricochet can't go I would expect Cole to be the opponent in these matches, considering that between the NorthAm title, the backburnered Ricochet feud and the tag team title scene it'd be easy to completely ignore TUE's involvement until it became relevant to put somebody in TUE back in the NXT title picture.

Yeah, the best/most straightforward way to do it is start Takeover and do a 'Ciampa takes out Black backstage' at the beginning, takes out Gargano as well at some point, and then do the 'welp, looks like I have no opponent, it doesn't matter, you people didn't deserve to see me anyway..' thing, and then whomever it is comes out and we have a match.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The problem there is the logical choices to satisfy the audience are Lee or Riddle, but unless they're beating Ciampa, that's a bad idea, and beating Ciampa this soon is also a bad call.

I'd say he takes out Black and someone like Ohno or Breeze gets added. A guy with credibility with the NXT audience, but who can take the fall without losing much.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

They need someone who can get good face heat against Ciampa immediately. It’s too bad Ricochet’s likely out and Dream is probably too green to improvise at that level. Dunne could do it. An obvious ringer like McIntyre or Breeze will need time to warm up the crowd.

Taking the strap off Black on TV was the second roundly bad booking decision in NXT history, the other being Asuka losing her smile. We’re finally at the point at which the title’s heat has dimmed in comparison to the feud itself, as tends to happen on the main roster.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

They need someone who can get good face heat against Ciampa immediately. It’s too bad Ricochet’s likely out and Dream is probably too green to improvise at that level. Dunne could do it. An obvious ringer like McIntyre or Breeze will need time to warm up the crowd.

Taking the strap off Black on TV was the second roundly bad booking decision in NXT history, the other being Asuka losing her smile. We’re finally at the point at which the title’s heat has dimmed in comparison to the feud itself, as tends to happen on the main roster.

I actually think McIntyre isn't a terrible choice, he seemed fairly well received by the NXT crowds, and you can just 'he never got his title remach, and since he's in town..' with him.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

The problem there is the logical choices to satisfy the audience are Lee or Riddle, but unless they're beating Ciampa, that's a bad idea, and beating Ciampa this soon is also a bad call.

I'd say he takes out Black and someone like Ohno or Breeze gets added. A guy with credibility with the NXT audience, but who can take the fall without losing much.

There's Lars Sullivan who Black broke his jaw in kayfabe.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

rovert posted:

There's Lars Sullivan who Black broke his jaw in kayfabe.

He's a heel, though.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Martinpale posted:

I actually think McIntyre isn't a terrible choice, he seemed fairly well received by the NXT crowds, and you can just 'he never got his title remach, and since he's in town..' with him.

The thinking with Drew is that he won the NXT title at Brooklyn last year. Also, he hasn't been devalued on the main roster (yet) and still has his indie cred. Not booked on the Summerslam and uber professional.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Lars also wasn’t ready for a good main event match even when not taking into account the climactic finisher botch. Also just doesn’t make a ton of sense to book a guy who lost clean at the last event (or whatever is you fuckin nerds call PPVs)

I don’t hate Drew but he didn’t have good chemistry with Almas or Roode and I’m not hyped to see him in an NXT main event again. That said if they were going to pull the trigger on the long threatened “totally not a demotion” back-to-NXT plan on somebody, now would be the time to do it.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 4, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's not like they booked his balls to burst on a routine spot.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Yeah, I was thinking it could be Drew as well.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Takeover: Brooklyn their biggest show of the year? If so, I would expect a few title changes. North American and Women's championships seem the most likely. Cole hasn't really done much with the title (and he would be better suited for the NXT title scene), and Shayna is main roster ready.

Not to mention Smackdown or RAW will need a strong female heel after Summerslam. Alexa isn't good enough to sustain a long term feud with Ronda, and unless WWE turns Charlotte, Becky, or Asuka heel, Smackdown's heel women's division will be very weak. And considering how Sanity has been handled since their callup, if Nikki Cross debuts as a heel, she'll probably lose her first match on Smackdown. :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lars isn't the one who whiffed the kick and slapped. Not too much he can do there.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

If they had to take the strap off him due to injury that would be one thing but he got injured during a house show rematch and by all accounts was probably going to eat the pin at Takeover

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

This is the wrestling equivalent of ball don't lie.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Black is the quickest i've seen an NXT main eventer go from 'surefire success that will even be able to make it work on the main roster' to just getting completely lost in the shuffle. He didn't even make it out of NXT!

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Black is the quickest i've seen an NXT main eventer go from 'surefire success that will even be able to make it work on the main roster' to just getting completely lost in the shuffle. He didn't even make it out of NXT!

I don't disagree in terms of optics but his matches on TV on paper tell a different story & he did finish the match where he got hurt and no fans picked his injury up which does have to count for something but yeah Ciampa/Gargano completely overshadowed him.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I thought Aleister Black might make it not because of his absolutely dynamite match quality but because he was treated as something so unique and special and everything about the way they packaged him made the guy feel like a star. But ironically, once he won the championship, that was totally gone, because he was treated as an afterthought to Ciampa/Gargano. I unironically wish he'd never won the belt in the first place now because at least he might still feel special if he hadn't.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

VJeff posted:

This is the wrestling equivalent of ball don't lie.

balls? don't! :cry:

rovert posted:

The thinking with Drew is that he won the NXT title at Brooklyn last year. Also, he hasn't been devalued on the main roster (yet) and still has his indie cred. Not booked on the Summerslam and uber professional.

Credit where it's due, he hasn't sunk from being booked with Dolph for so long. Hopefully he gets a midcard title run soon at least, even if it's tag

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Chris James 2 posted:

balls? don't! :cry:

Credit where it's due, he hasn't sunk from being booked with Dolph for so long. Hopefully he gets a midcard title run soon at least, even if it's tag

He hasn't sunk yet because he isn't feuding with Dolph. :v:

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

In my head Neville is gonna come back to NXT as a face and take Black’s place.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

it’s a pity that Dean Ambrose won’t be back for a couple of months, because I honestly think it should be him

otherwise, the smart choice is whichever member of The New Day isn’t fighting at Summerslam, so probably Kofi

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

I think this just shows the value of a wrestling promotion having an 'I just want to fight' character. NXT Kevin Owens, Braun, etc. , a guy that you can slot in to a match at the last moment, and the fans buy it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Venomous posted:

it’s a pity that Dean Ambrose won’t be back for a couple of months, because I honestly think it should be him

Yeah, have Dean Ambrose come back and lose to Ciampa.

And also, instead of having him lose, just have him win.

Then just have Dean Ambrose as NXT Champion.

Just like. Y'know. Pay him main roster money, but just have him be NXT Champion. And he like, can just stay in NXT. And not ever, ever go back to the main roster.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Martinpale posted:

I think this just shows the value of a wrestling promotion having an 'I just want to fight' character. NXT Kevin Owens, Braun, etc. , a guy that you can slot in to a match at the last moment, and the fans buy it.

Basically that's Joe's role on the main roster.

And I'd argue Ohno kinda fits the bill in NXT. Hero's got enough cred with the typical NXT fans that they'll buy him in a major match without much help.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I feel like Black's spot in the match is probably just interchangeable with anyone else.

Do something unexpected, have like... Danny Burch win a match to take his spot.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Black's failure as NXT champ probably means he'll be a success on the main roster.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Strawberry Panda posted:

Black's failure as NXT champ probably means he'll be a success on the main roster.

Make the "Black Riddle" tag team that just kicks people's heads off. But yeah, I don't have much hope for him on the main roster at this rate.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TV Zombie posted:

Just give Ohno a shot. He's good enough to be a believable contender whenever, and can make both of them look great.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Cesaro would be good, sort of like how he had to face William Regal, now he too gets to pass on the rub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Only if he says he will battle Ciampa with every bit of his vile and venom.