Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Edit: new page so:
https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/273/5244/1?mobile=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Souma doesn't seem like the type to want someone to cook for. His food is for everyone. He seems like he wants someone to cook with

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

This alone justified the chapter for me

Xelkelvos posted:

Souma doesn't seem like the type to want someone to cook for. His food is for everyone. He seems like he wants someone to cook with

Erina as a rival was a good dynamic for both of them, it’s a shame that got quietly ditched

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Xelkelvos posted:

Something about this post puts me into the mood for predicting this arc
1. Soma loses because Asahi is more experienced and better trained
2. Soma goes on a journey of self-discovery and leveling up while Erina wavers about whether or not to accept Asahi's advances (which will ultimately be revealed to have some sort of sinister undercurrent, which will tie into her ultimate rejection of him)
3. Soma will return with skills equal to or slightly below Asahi's, but will defeat him because he's more sincere in his preparation of a dish for Erina (any romantic inclinations will remain accidental or vague)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I would find it pretty dumb if Erina had any sincere interest at all and I hope the author is better than that.

E: no question in my mind that Souma will lose if they fight right now, though.

EE: also I’m almost 100% sure they botched the translation and it should be Nakiri(‘s Tongue)

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 27, 2018

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Xelkelvos posted:

TheKingofSprings posted:

Erina as a rival was a good dynamic for both of them, it’s a shame that got quietly ditched
It's always been a theme in the series that chefs are getting motivated by that "one person", which gets you from pretty great to amazing. I always figured that the series would end with Soma's someone being his kid. Probably with Erina, who will never honestly admit that he makes good dishes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I burst into a giggle fit at that page.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yay, we're firmly back in Good Stupid Plot territory!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

It's always been a theme in the series that chefs are getting motivated by that "one person", which gets you from pretty great to amazing. I always figured that the series would end with Soma's someone being his kid. Probably with Erina, who will never honestly admit that he makes good dishes.

In a real Son Gohan moment, Suzuki will unveil his “cooking for someone” powers only for Souma to breeze past him by achieving the undiscovered technique of cooking for two people the chapter before Shokugeki gets pulled from Shonen Jump for promoting polygamy

E:

Arist posted:

I burst into a giggle fit at that page.

If it weren’t for it being entirely incomprehensible to anyone outside this thread I would nominate it for the new thread title.

I would be completely up for a goofy (and hopefully brief) romance arc if that was the way the winds of plot were headed.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 27, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Suzuki will unveil his “cooking for someone” powers only for Souma to breeze past him by discovering the technique of cooking for two people the chapter before Shokugeki gets pulled from Shonen Jump for promoting polygamy
They published the part of To Love-Ru where they confirm that Rito can keep his stupid flip-flopping rear end dating all them girls. WSJ is OK with polyamory.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i liked the 3 beat panel

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Asahi is gonna have to settle for a consolation Megumi.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I've been wrong with my predictions in this manga a lot but I see this ending pretty badly for Souma and I think Asahi's secondary goal isn't what he claims it is.

He's clearly gunning for Souma and scouting him out, I think he's jealous of Souma and wants to undermine him by achieving every one of Souma's goals before he does or rendering them meaningless. Maybe Jou threw his fight on purpose because he thinks Souma's stronger than that and is deciding to play along?

I think this is going to end up with Erina saying "this is delicious" and it won't be for Souma's cooking.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

TheKingofSprings posted:

I've been wrong with my predictions in this manga a lot but I see this ending pretty badly for Souma and I think Asahi's secondary goal isn't what he claims it is.

He's clearly gunning for Souma and scouting him out, I think he's jealous of Souma and wants to undermine him by achieving every one of Souma's goals before he does or rendering them meaningless. Maybe Jou threw his fight on purpose because he thinks Souma's stronger than that and is deciding to play along?

I think this is going to end up with Erina saying "this is delicious" and it won't be for Souma's cooking.

Does... Does that qualify as NTR here...?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I love Erina's reaction because, while she has this whole set of new responsibilities, at the end of the day she's still a 17-year-old maiden who gets most of her romantic notes from Shoujo manga. Basically she's a Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun character stuck in a *cooking manga

:eng101: *Shokugeki no Soma is a cooking manga.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Supremezero posted:

Does... Does that qualify as NTR here...?

.... yes....

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/274/5264/1

Chapter is up

Aug 24, 2011

which colour of sauce will be superior

i hope it's soma's just because it seems like he's being set up to lose

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I hope they tie but I also know better

The terms of the fight really make me think Asahi is our to crush Souma

Aug 24, 2011

i hope soma gives him the knife by literally stabbing him

"you thought i had a black sauce... but my real sauce... is red"

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Souma's knife is the source of his power.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Souma gonna lose

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
I never knew how much I needed gyaru Megumi in my life.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I Love Annie May posted:

So how will white sauce transform Megumi?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

I hope they tie but I also know better

The terms of the fight really make me think Asahi is our to crush Souma

I mean that's literally what Dojima said.

I Love Annie May posted:

Delinquent Megumi is always good.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Wouldn't a breaded food put into cold oil absorb all the oil into the bread and get super soggy and oily? i.e. the exact opposite of what Souma got? I don't do fried food that often, but I remember that you have to put the food into the oil when the oil is as hot as possible specifically to avoid the food absorbing too much of it, that's why for frying oils with a high smoke point are preferable.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Yeah it’d actually create the opposite effect and give a breading that’s heavy and laden with oil. The oil needs to start at a temperature that causes vaporization of water to form a barrier that pushes back against the oil and prevents absorption.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Just caught up to this manga again.

I do like how Erina just skipped the seats all the way to Dean. The current Elite 10 seems like an interesting group too. They're all more or less where they should be in terms of cooking skill.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

I Love Annie May posted:

x

Megumi's been having some extremely good reactions to food lately. I liked the 'naked in a bathtub of money' in response to that lobster dish (and her confused 'wait what' reaction to it), but black sauce making her into a gyaru tops that, I think.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I mean, this arc is obvious: it's to set up Soma hooking up with Erina and finishing the plot while also setting up that the Elite 10 is actually just poo poo so they can just establish some new order of bad guys.

It's like being a chunin in Naruto where they spent a bunch of time trying to become one, but then it turns out chunin are garbage compared to jonin, but then it also turns out jonin are garbage compared to kage, but then it turns out kage are garbage compared to Naruto and Sasuke. There's always someone better.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Oh my god this douchebag is Raditz

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

i'm okay with that, because it means cooking vegeta is inevitable and also takumi will die crumpled in a crater

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm okay with that, because it means cooking vegeta is inevitable and also takumi will die crumpled in a crater
We already have Kuga and Naked-Apron Senpai. :colbert:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TheKingofSprings posted:

Megumi is Piccolo in this situation, right?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Megumi is Piccolo in this situation, right?

sorry, she's krillin

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The panels with passed out Erina in them are way funnier to me than they should be.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

sorry, she's krillin

this hurts because it's true

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The panels with passed out Erina in them are way funnier to me than they should be.

Nah, her reaction last chapter was so good it’s rippling into this one

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh my god, gyaru Megumi. :cripes:

Yeah, I also have problems with the way the frying is being described. Deep frying is a function of water inside the food leaving the food as steam. It's that pressure gradient that keeps oil from penetrating back in the opposite way.

Now, there are ways to set the oil up so you can decrease the amount of oil that seeps back in; for example, bringing the meat up to room temperature so that it takes less time to heat up once it hits hot oil, but.... room temperature in room temperature oil? I want to say that just results in soggy deep-fry. Unless cranking the temperature at the end is enough to drive what oil has seeped in back out? But that has not been my experience, though.

Cold meat in hot oil, doesn't work either. The breading outside would burn before the center of the food got to temperature. That's how the egg tempura works to get a still-runny yolk, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

It's like being a chunin in Naruto where they spent a bunch of time trying to become one, but then it turns out chunin are garbage compared to jonin, but then it also turns out jonin are garbage compared to kage, but then it turns out kage are garbage compared to Naruto and Sasuke. There's always someone better.

i mean what? ninja ranks were firmly established at the start of naruto and like the only jonin that did any loving thing were like kakashi and might gai.