Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Find our mule.

I don’t know about dying in the storm, but there are a few ways to die in this chapter. Not saying more due to spoiler policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
If we have a mule, then we must find it.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Hey, that mule ran off with all our stuff! Let's get it back!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
That fucker! Our poo poo!

Find that mule.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Find the mule.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

If we have a mule, then we must find it.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

someone awful. posted:

Hey, that mule ran off with all our stuff! Let's get it back!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

We do not have a mule, and we wish to find it

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
An attempt is made!

quote:

Go find my mule while the water goes down.

You ride across the land but your mule is nowhere to be found. When you return to the river the water level has thankfully fallen to make for an easy crossing.

Days swiftly become weeks as you traverse a desolate country where even a coyote would have to carry a canteen. Indeed, you could almost miss the storm if it weren't for that rasp of a cough that won't quite go away. The whole of it is parched right down to the roots, as if famine had decided to make it home. Only the sparse rivers and streams that cross the land dare to turn the dusty brown land into stretches of green for a time.

It doesn't take long for your throat to get parched. Your mule had been carrying nearly all your water-skins. A particularly arid stretch tests your limits with dry camp after dry camp. Even the prickly cactus begins to look succulent but thankfully a bit of green on up ahead catches your eye. A little bit of a pasture where the grass is long and that means water nearby. As you consider that, a shot rings out. It came from a rifle somewhere up ahead. Thankfully, whoever opened fire wasn't shooting at you.

1. Ride on over to that little pasture and see what their fuss is all about.
2. Sneak in close to the pasture and see what's going on.
3. Fire off a few rounds of my own and see what stirs from that green pasture.

Someone's out there, at least.

quote:

Miss Shen Ruolan:
Traits: Chinese.
Current Companions:
Health: Healthy and vigorous.
Wealth: Broke.

Values:
Order: 50% Freedom: 50%
Honor: 52% Arbitrary: 48%
Law: 50% Individuality: 50%
Notoriety: 0% Anonymity: 100%

Skills:
Gunfighting: 40%
Sharpshooting: 32%
Brawling: 34%
Riding: 25%
Survival: 24%
Legal: 14%
Engineering: 10%
Explosives: 17%
Persuasion: 30%
Intimidate: 34%
Stamina: 26%
Resolve: 37%

Influence
Influence Marshal James: 55%

Sadly, we were 1 point short on survival for tracking down the mule.

ultrafilter posted:

Is it actually possible to die in the storm?

Nope, there are a couple of ways to get injured by the flooding or lightning, but it's not enough to kill you. There is one particular option that is just absolutely amazing, but we don't have the background trait for it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The amazing option- being Religious, getting hit by Lightning deliberately, and carrying a static charge around the rest of the game. Thankfully there are a lot of other great things you can do too.

1. Go check out the fuss

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

achtungnight posted:

1. Go check out the fuss

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
1. Ride on over to that little pasture and see what their fuss is all about.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Let's just shoot our gun randomly for no reason! This is a great idea because

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

This is a sneaking mission

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ride over, be bold.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

This is a sneaking mission

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Time to go say high to the neighbors, maybe we'll bond over our common love of firearms.

quote:

Ride on over to that little pasture and see what their fuss is all about.

'Fortune favors the bold' is an old saying that goes back to Virgil's Aeneid and seems apt considering what you may be riding into.

The sparse scraggle of brush slowly gives way to tufts of green grass and gnarled trees. Ahead lies a little stream that burbles up seemingly from solid rock. It gathers there in a shallow pool just below the slate gray stone and promises cool relief you could grasp with both hands.

Clustered near a picturesque watering hole a dozen or so cattle graze, and amidst them stands a lean rake of a Cowboy who steadies his rifle in both hands. His wide brimmed hat shifts your way and reveals a narrow silhouette like a mountain-top tree. The tails of his long tan trail coat lie as still as the grave as his rifle remains wholly fixed upon something near the bubbling spring.

You follow his gaze find that it leads to the spring-head. There a shift of dark cloth flutters in the breeze. A gray touched Prospector, pistol in hand, hides behind a jut of slate. The man could be part-bear what with a thick bristle of beard and mustache. At his feet rests the battered pans, picks, and screens of the gold-seeking trade.

Off to one side of the pool lies a hefty but lifeless calf. A trickle of blood leaks out from its side where a bullet has struck.

1. "Good afternoon to you both."
2. "What's going on here?"
3. Ride up to the Cowboy.
4. Ride over to the Prospector.
5. Reveal your tin star.
6. Pull my rifle.
7. Pull my pistol.
8. Ignore them both and water my thirsty steed.

This certainly is a situation, but what next?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Be polite (#1). No need to make enemies we don't need.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

8. They can sort it out.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

ultrafilter posted:

I second this. We just got here after all.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
What’s going on here?

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

We came over to find out what was going on here. We might as well ask.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

2. "What's going on here?"

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
1. "Good afternoon to you both." Lets be our friendly neighbourhood marshal.

We have a licence to kill, right?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
And manners edges out.

quote:

"Good afternoon to you both."

The Cowboy absently tips the wide brim of his hat but never takes his eyes off the rocks behind which the Prospector is hidden, "How do there Ma'am. I'm sorry to say there's a bit of a dander here but I'll sort it out soon enough."

"The hell you will!" the Prospector calls out from behind his rock. "I'll plug you and your heifers first if'n you try anything."

The Cowboy looks to you, "Stranger, I don't want to shoot anyone I don't have to. Will you arbitrate?"

Neither man has moved and neither seems willing to do so. It is as if they could stay here all day and wait for something to shift.

1. Take a look around.
2. Hear out the Cowboy first.
3. Hear out the Prospector first.
4. Render a decision.

Time to do some Marshaling.

If you would, please vote for the order you want to do these in, since you can investigate and talk to people in any order you want and it saves us the trouble of running several votes.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
1. Take a look around.
3. Hear out the Prospector first.
2. Hear out the Cowboy next.
4. Render a decision.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
3,2,1,4. Hear out the Prospector first since he’s on edge, then the Cowboy since he’s calmer. It’s what I do when arbitrating as a security officer. 4 is obviously last.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

achtungnight posted:

3,2,1,4. Hear out the Prospector first since he’s on edge, then the Cowboy since he’s calmer. It’s what I do when arbitrating as a security officer. 4 is obviously last.

I'm not going to argue with a security officer on this. Second this order.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

achtungnight posted:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I think it's hilarious there's the total clown option of 'render a decision' before you even hear about what's going on.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

UR JUDGED GUILTY OF BEING INSUFFICIENTLY ROOTIN TOOTIN

THE SENTENCE IS SIX GUN SURPRISE

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

achtungnight posted:

Seems legit.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Keldulas posted:

I think it's hilarious there's the total clown option of 'render a decision' before you even hear about what's going on.

"You're both guilty of Disturbing The Peace, and I hereby fine you each five dollars. Okay, bye!"

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Makes sense to me!

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

achtungnight posted:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

achtungnight posted:

Sound logic.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

:bandwagon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Alright, we're going to deal with the prospector, the cowboy and then our own investigation before coming to a decision.

quote:

Hear out the Prospector first.

Up close, the Prospector is a stiff bit of sun weathered rawhide. A tease of white hair salts him up in years that almost make his bristle of a beard and mustache seem dignified. Both sleeves of a pale brown calico shirt have been rolled up and there are more than a few patches on his trousers where work has worn through.

"You want to hear what really happened?" the Prospector asks. "Well, let Old Dan Schmidt tell you the truth."

1. "Old?"
2. "You don't look that old, Dan."
3. "You are Dan Schmidt? My father used to talk about you back in California."
4. "Yep, I'm here to listen Mister Schmidt."
5. "Get on with it old man."

But first, introductions.